• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Just checked my mail, still no Halo Community book.

Almost two years boys!

Just a quick recap by the numbers, two years is about:

730 days
$27000 in student loans paid
and 1051200 minutes without explanation of why this hasn't been completed.

Is a refund available?

How is this not done yet? Crazy.

Fracas

#fuckonami

Almost two years boys!

730 days

Is a refund available?

edit: to be fair, fuchsd messaged me about it recently saying they should have a sample at pax. I wont be there this year and don't think I should have to fly to Seattle to get what I paid for.

I'm pretty detached from the situation but yeah if you ask for a refund, you should be entitled to one.

I am so angry, have never been so angry in my life ! Halo 3 has been taken over by moders and other low lives. Stinkles, just a random question, are you guys still looking over Halo 3 Matchmaking and making new playlist ?
Yeah awhile ago I kept running into them in lone wolves. Pissed me off a bit trying to get my 50. Now I'm holding off from it until that issue gets cleansed by 343 (hopefully lol) but probably not.

I know this has been discussed a bunch of times in the past, but what kind of measures would you all like to see to prevent / punish quitting in multiplayer?

There needs to be a punishment. It doesnt matter how good the game is people are always going to rage quit. Most people cant stand losing even if its them that are causing the loss they would rather quit than finish the game out. There needs to be some kind of punishment if people just quit for no reason repeatedly. Also the forfeit option is a really good idea but in teams of randoms it most likely will never get voted cause some will fight to the death while others on the same team would rather quit.

Its a sketchy situation with no real right answer i think -.-

Woorloog

Banned
There needs to be a punishment. It doesnt matter how good the game is people are always going to rage quit. Most people cant stand losing even if its them that are causing the loss they would rather quit than finish the game out. There needs to be some kind of punishment if people just quit for no reason repeatedly. Also the forfeit option is a really good idea but in teams of randoms it most likely will never get voted cause some will fight to the death while others on the same team would rather quit.

Its a sketchy situation with no real right answer i think -.-

Carrot works better. Make the game fun, make the game rewarding, make playing rewarding, reward staying till the end and doing something.

defghik

I've really liked pretty much everything I've seen from H2A so far, but one concern I have is that the aim assist looks over the top - like, even worse than the original Halo 2. I haven't played H2A yet so I can't be sure of it, but boy does the BR and snipe look easy to use.

Vico

Watching more H2A multiplayer gameplay from Gamescom. Looks damn good.

Will be my favorite "playlist" this november, I think.

Whether or not a map is in-house has little effect on whether it is good or not. Now i admit that Certain Affinity's maps haven't been that good really... but then pretty much none of Halo 4's original maps are that good either, in-house or not. Or at least don't play well in Halo 4, so they don't feel good, which is in the end pretty much the same thing, a good map in one game may not be a good map in another.

I'm definitely not trying to argue about the quality of CA's maps. I'm simply saying I want to see more of what 343's designers can produce in multiplayer. We haven't seen much from them yet.

I hope Halo 5 doesn't have too much remakes, by the way. While it's cool to see Midship with an entirely new engine, it doesn't totally feel "new" to me (though I guess it'll be pretty different than the one we knew).

Obscured

I know this has been discussed a bunch of times in the past, but what kind of measures would you all like to see to prevent / punish quitting in multiplayer?

Electric shock to the quitter until the match is over.

All deaths for any remaining players just get attributed to any quitters stats instead.

Sometimes I feel this way, but I wouldn't actually want that.

No quit penalty like Reach had for sure (temp ban from MM), such things are infuriating, especially since they may be triggered by temporary connection issues or such.

Make the game good enough people like to play it, and that includes every single map. No crap like symmetric objective games in asymmetric maps... And make the matchmaking good enough people don't feel they have to play with idiots or too good players.
Those two measures alone will reduce quitting.

Persistent quitting should cause the quitter to be forced to play with other quitters, ie low-priority queue. Just don't make it too easy to end up in low-priority queue, and allow people to get out of it.

Also add ability to reconnect in case you lose connection to the game for some reason. No join-in-progress*, no new random players but anyone quitting a game can come back.
Note that i don't mean a system where a quitter can only play the match they started until the match has ended, i'm not sure such system is a good idea (in case the match has hackers, cheaters, exploiters, or the MM screwed up and the match is uneven, or really bad connection, or any other such unpleasant case).

Oh, and make victory important enough people strive for it (compared to Reach and Halo 4 where victory is due to various reasons completely unimportant). Encourage people to play to win, and make the game good enough comeback is a possibility. I figure that helps too.

*Though there could be a warm-up list with join-in-progress. Constant free for all, say half an hour per map. No score tracking, no stats tracking, not even post-game carnage report (this mostly to keep stats-whores from playing it for stat padding). Just something where you can play a bit to warm-up but not worry about poor performance or anything else. Needs a limited MM probably though, so that you don't have to warm-up against pros or noobs...

EDIT Also, not too long matches. 20 minutes for BTB is too much, cut that to 15, or even 12 minutes. Standard Team Slayer round time should be 10 min at most.

Carrot works better. Make the game fun, make the game rewarding, make playing rewarding, reward staying till the end and doing something.

In general I think this is actually true that a carrot would be a better approach, but unfortunately there are a lot of people out there that don't care. I think a mercenary playlist would be better (and no, Free for all is not what I mean). The getting stuck in a quitter queue would also be okay, as you mention the parameters of that would need to be understood though.

If you can just go carrot that would be great, but doesn't seem like the world we live in. Making it so quitters can't join until the game is over or only get pushed back into the game they left maybe would work, but there are instances where you may be quitting for an actual good reason. The biggest problem with some inventive punishment is it may not be obvious how it relates and won't change the behavior.

The only real solution is outside of the game and always making sure you are only going in with a party, but that is not always possible. Some other incentive like for example if there are XP style armor unlocks (not guns, not game mechanics) then perhaps the more games you have in a row without quitting than you have bonus XP up to a point.

Maybe once Halo Channel is out they should do a series of PSAs on what happens to those you leave behind when you quit so you can really understand the pain and suffering you have caused.

antigoon

When you quit a game, you should be barred from re-queuing for a short period, and repeat offenders should temporarily be placed in a low-priority queue. I don't think carrots work for this sort of thing.

Dub117

In ODST at ONI Alpha Site, has anyone ever had an friendly AI shotgun kill you while you are on the turret? This fucker keeps shooting and killing me! Never has happened before but just happened the second time in a row!

Hey duders, a bit out of the loop on HaloGAF for a long while but thought I'd pop back in to see if y'all can clear up what I just read in this Polygon story.

Couple of things from that, the biggest one which I haven't heard anywhere else (and therefore suspect is wrong) is the mention that you can switch between new & classic modes on both Halo 3 & 4. While the article doesn't explicitly say this, it does essentially say you can do this with all games in the collection. Additionally there's quotes at the end that say the weapon sounds & soundtrack are being redone for Halo 3. I suspect that's an out of context quote about Halo 2 but wondered if you guys had heard anything about this, as I imagine you lot are keeping an eye on every possible bit of info.

Omni

Nice username ^

No classic mode or Anniversary treatment for Halo 3. Just a typo I imagine. The Halo 3 in the collection should largely be the same Halo 3 you can buy on 360 now. Just in 1080p and 60fps.

When you quit a game, you should be barred from re-queuing for a short period, and repeat offenders should temporarily be placed in a low-priority queue. I don't think carrots work for this sort of thing.
That would be ridiculous. If I'm getting barred for quitting a few times then I'm simply going to play another game.

Punishment doesn't work. What happens if I'm getting matched up with full parties and they're being complete asshats? Am I supposed to stay in a game where I'm being spawn killed constantly? Absolutely not.

All you're doing is punishing those players. If people want to quit then they're still going to quit... Unless you give them adequate rewards for not doing so.

GoDs DeMoNaToR

Neo Member
a.) Don't give us the option to quit in game. This way you'd have to exit to the dashboard and restart the game to hop back in. Nothing too extreme but just enough of an annoyance to possibly deter some people.

The only time I ever quit is if I actually have to leave randomly or there is extreme lag, which shouldn't happen any more with the dedicated servers.

b.) Make winning meaningful/necessary again. There are many ideas out there as to how to make it happen. But give people a reason to stay in the entire game.

You're never going to fully get rid of quitters, but don't make it easy for them to quit without some sort of consequences. As long as it doesn't hamper someone else's experience who might have legit reasons for quitting.

Got to play 3 games of H2A today at gamescom. 2 at the xbox booth, and one at ESL (where we got destroyed by a German pro team :lol).

The gameplay felt really good, but I thought that your screen gets a bit chaotic and cluttered when there are a lot of grenades flying around/you're getting shot from multiple directions. Other than that, no complaints. Good job 343!

antigoon

Nice username ^

No classic mode or Anniversary treatment for Halo 3. Just a typo I imagine. The Halo 3 in the collection should largely be the same Halo 3 you can buy on 360 now. Just in 1080p and 60fps.

That would be ridiculous. If I'm getting barred for quitting a few times then I'm simply going to play another game.

Punishment doesn't work. What happens if I'm getting matched up with full parties and they're being complete asshats? Am I supposed to stay in a game where I'm being spawn killed constantly? Absolutely not.

All you're doing is punishing those players. If people want to quit then they're still going to quit... Unless you give them adequate rewards for not doing so.

It works pretty darn well in Dota, and I'm just talking about a couple minutes. And yeah, you are supposed to stay in the game.

jem0208

I think if you quit games multiple times your rank drops down and then each subsequent quit after that for a short period of time drops your rank again. You're being punished but not in a way which seriously negatively affects the game. It also encourages people even more to stay in games.

TheOddOne

Got to play 3 games of H2A today at gamescom. 2 at the xbox booth, and one at ESL (where we got destroyed by a German pro team :lol).

The gameplay felt really good, but I thought that your screen gets a bit chaotic and cluttered when there are a lot of grenades flying around/you're getting shot from multiple directions. Other than that, no complaints. Good job 343!
Did you eat bratwurst. This is the only thing I want to know.

Madness

I think a combination of a loss of rank, coupled with not allowed to join another game till the one you left is over is a good punishment. If people feel it's too harsh and won't want to play, too bad. I don't want to play ranked with a bunch of sore losers who quit because their precious K/D might take a hit.

I think JiP and social can ease up on the quit penalties, but for any ranked Playlist, it should be a severe deterrent to not quit.

I felt like this just watching it, which brings me to what we were talking about a couple days back: the HUD is to busy, simplicity is best IMO.

Dishonoured is this months games with gold pls.

TheOddOne

I had a currywurst. It was good.
Lawd.
id5fnvlvxNYe5.gif

Overdoziz

Banned

Almost two years boys!

730 days

Is a refund available?

edit: to be fair, fuchsd messaged me about it recently saying they should have a sample at pax. I wont be there this year and don't think I should have to fly to Seattle to get what I paid for.
Here's a preview:

n0wCarg.gif

There are more elegant ways to display to the player that they're dealing damage. If you look at Reach specifically, it never needed HUD-based damage feedback like that because of the really spectacular way they designed the shield flare - as players take more damage their shield gets brighter and becomes greater in volume, increasing the bubbling effect proportionally to their shield level (this worked in the same manner, only backwards [bright to dim], when the shield was recharging, making it an incredibly intuitive analog system with very easy-to-understand rules). You could tell whether someone was 3-shot or 2-shot just by looking at the brightness of their player model. Going away from that and to a more blunt method of conveying that information was a real disappointment. It was almost a requirement in Halo 4 though, as the shield feedback was a big step back, partially because of its very washed-out look that made contrasting players and their shield from the environment more difficult than it had been previously. Looking at H2A, it doesn't seem to suffer from that contrast issue, so the hit markers just seem unnecessary.

It's something I'm against on a sort of academic level, because even though it's not actively damaging or anything (though I think it absolutely makes players lazier, specifically when applied to grenade impacts), there are much better ways to get that information across.
Hitmarkers take visual / audio feedback (shield flare effect / shield popping sound) and skill (predicting whether or not a grenade you throw will hit the enemy) and dumbs them down. They're an easy, cheap solution when much better solutions can already be found in past games in the series.
Here's a preview:

n0wCarg.gif
10/10

ElRenoRaven

Almost two years boys!

730 days

Is a refund available?

I agree. It's bullshit. If they ever do another kickstarter I will sure as hell not support it. At this point I honestly doubt we'll ever see it.

heckfu

Banned
I know I've been pushy about it, but I originally supported it only to help some friends out (as well as get a nice book, I imagine).

Sometimes things don't go according to plan, but this has been the least transparent business agreement I've ever been a part of. What other model allows you to pay for a service up front and not ever see the product?

If I can't get a refund worked out privately then I'll go through kickstarter and get it myself and add your name if you want.

Edit:

Check your PMs.

Right on cue with that good ol fashioned honest transparency.

Check your PMs.
Maybe you guys should message everyone who contributed? If not for heckfu, I probably would forget about the money I put up lol. I mean, I feel alright living with giving you some money if you bought a few burgers and fries with it, but I'd like to know what's up ;b

CyReN

Like I want to help with competitive Halo chapter but is it really worth my time? Have to see something. The release date was planned for early 2013..

Can't figure out my account crap for this, but yay I helped on this

Fuchsdh

If you want a refund, ask for one. You have never asked, privately or otherwise. We're not hard to get in contact with (through the Kickstarter contact details, through GAF PMs, via email addresses.) Don't do this passive-aggressive "no book yet" nonsense.

Everyone who backed the book received email updates if they wanted them. If you haven't been getting them, maybe you should check your spam or again, ask.

Nice username ^

Dan confirmed updated lighting and shaders at Gamescom, so it will look a bit better than the 360 version beyond just the resolution and framerate.

heckfu

Banned
If you want a refund, ask for one. You have never asked, privately or otherwise. We're not hard to get in contact with (through the Kickstarter contact details, through GAF PMs, via email addresses.) Don't do this passive-aggressive "no book yet" nonsense.

Everyone who backed the book received email updates if they wanted them. If you haven't been getting them, maybe you should check your spam or again, ask.

I'll publicly ask for a refund.

"Will you please give me my money back in full?"

And there's nothing passive-agressive about me bringing this to the attention of everyone here because some people have forgotten. I mean honestly, PEOPLE HAVE FORGOTTEN THEY DONATED MONEY TO YOU.

What other service can you honestly think of that if not delivered they say in a public space "you can get updates if you wanted them." If http://www.forwarduntodawn.com isn't an indicator enough of your commitment to getting things done than this certainly is. Don't come at me with that shitty attitude when I was one of the ones trying to help you get something off the ground.

Since I know you won't ask, I'll PM you my paypal information.

Madness

Didn't some people talk shit about Heckfu and the book a while back too on Facebook? Like why you keep bringing it up. But I'd be pretty pissed if I gave money for something and didn't get it even two years later. The one and only Kickstarter I've ever backed is the mighty no. 9 as a mega man fan. But even then I was iffy.

blamite

Sooooo.... medals, huh? I saw there was some medal talk going on the other day and I was thinking about them too, so I put together a quick Google doc of my ideas for revising medals.

Here's the link if anyone wants to check it out.

I get the feeling ost of the new medals added in H4 were in support of the ordnance system, since you need points to fill the meter, and points are tied to medals, thus e got tons of medals tied to various significant/insignificant actions. Besically I tried to cut down all the totally pointless medals while keeping the ones that add even a little bit of valuable information. Let me know what you think?
343, feel free to use my ideas and credit me as "lead multiplayer designer"

Woorloog

Banned
I have to question whether we need medals at all. Sure, they have been in Halo for ages... but do we need them?
Certainly they don't need to be shown while playing, less UI clutter you know? (Though i'm going to be hypocrite and note that i'd love the extra visor lines and such you can see in Halo 3, ODST and Halo 4 single player to be in MP, for stronger immersion.)

Mistel

Banned
Sooooo.... medals, huh? I saw there was some medal talk going on the other day and I was thinking about them too, so I put together a quick Google doc of my ideas for revising medals.

Here's the link if anyone wants to check it out.

I get the feeling ost of the new medals added in H4 were in support of the ordnance system, since you need points to fill the meter, and points are tied to medals, thus e got tons of medals tied to various significant/insignificant actions. Besically I tried to cut down all the totally pointless medals while keeping the ones that add even a little bit of valuable information. Let me know what you think?
343, feel free to use my ideas and credit me as "lead multiplayer designer"
I pretty much agree with your suggestions I'd probably remove comeback kill and one of the protector/ guardian angel ones as both seem a bit redundant to me. I'd probably get rid of mode specific assists too. Who knew all those objective specific medal were there probably one of the reasons the medal count is so high.

Plus it's fun to watch someone type as you read something.

These medals are the most distinguishable during the match compared to anything else I've seen:
The colors pop and there's not much black outlining, which Halo 4's medals use a lot of. The shape of Halo 4 medals are pretty similar as well; a lot of emblems in front of shapes instead the shapes being the emblems (ie: Halo 3 stars for sprees):

blamite

These medals are the most distinguishable during the match compared to anything else I've seen:

The colors pop and there's not much black outlining, which Halo 4's medals use a lot of. The shape of Halo 4 medals are pretty similar as well; a lot of emblems in front of shapes instead the shapes being the emblems (ie: Halo 3 stars for sprees):

Yeah the H2/3/Reach medals are definitely the gold standard for design 343 should be aiming for. It also helps that they're displayed a lot bigger in Bungie's games than they are in H4. It seems like 343 is compensating for the unreadable designs in H2A by having text next to each one saying what it's for, which is a really, really bad replacement for good designs.

I think a larger set of medals could still work pretty well as long as there are enough color/shape themes between related medals to make certain things inferrable at a glance.

. . . It seems like 343 is compensating for the unreadable designs in H2A by having text next to each one saying what it's for, which is a really, really bad replacement for good designs.

While I agree that the medals aren't good, there has always been text displayed next to them.
ITGyaEi.jpg

Top Bottom