• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

-Ryn

Banned
Where did you hear about max? And was he recently hired or always there?
He's president of Certain Affinity. That should answer 3 of the 4 questions.
Thanks Noks

I found out about it from the comic con panel. That should answer the 4th question.

Maybe updating other Halo 2 maps, but creating brand new maps just seems silly to me.
If they were to remake some of Halo 2's larger maps that'd give the Forge community a lot to play with.

Ja, CA is doing the work on H2A MP.
Whilst you and 343 are making the best Halo game ever?

Omni

A lovely join in progress game of Neutral Flag on Valhalla where the enemy team have both Mantises and all the power weapons and are spawn killing

Fun fun

A lovely join in progress game of Neutral Flag on Valhalla where the enemy team have both Mantises and all the power weapons and are spawn killing

Fun fun

Welcome to Halo 4 Heavies! That was the last few games I played this evening. I finally just switched to a few games of SWAT and then called it quits.

Omni

Welcome to Halo 4 Heavies! That was the last few games I played this evening. I finally just switched to a few games of SWAT and then called it quits.
This was CTF blaaah. I avoid heavies unless I'm playing in a party

c5EExF0.png
Freaking ridiculous.

Omni

7 and 4 isn't bad at all, but the rest of your team? Yeesh...
Haha yeah. Only reason I went positive is because one of the guys on their team got cocky and kept trying to challenge me by himself. Killed him like 5 times in a row I thinks

Ehh my second game of the night is pretty much the same. Enemy team far too coordinated for randoms. I'm gonna have to quit and play something else. Too frustrating

Haha yeah. Only reason I went positive is because one of the guys on their team got cocky and kept trying to challenge me by himself. Killed him like 5 times in a row I thinks

Ehh my second game of the night is pretty much the same. Enemy team far too coordinated for randoms. I'm gonna have to quit and play something else. Too frustrating

After a while, 4 is only fun with a good party. We need a Gaf night

I need to see some H3 content right now...H2A multiplayer looks great btw..It feels like watching old Halo games because of no sprint and no f..ing AAs...

Rather unsurprisingly I suck at this race playlist.

I will teach you the ways of Halo drivingヽ(*・ω・)ノ

Yeah this happens to me all the time if i don't go in with teammates =.= I don't get why i cant tell the game to give me a slower matching time in exchange for actual teamates that are at my skill level. I always seem to get bad randoms who seem like they bought the game yesterday vs a team of tryhards.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I know this has been discussed a bunch of times in the past, but what kind of measures would you all like to see to prevent / punish quitting in multiplayer?

-Ryn

Banned
I know this has been discussed a bunch of times in the past, but what kind of measures would you all like to see to prevent / punish quitting in multiplayer?
Make a forfeit option that you can select from the start screen. When the player uses it there will be an unobtrusive notification on your teams screen. It wouldn't solve the whole problem but it's a start.

Vico

Certain Affinity being busy working on the six H2A maps hopefully means the 7 Halo 5 beta maps are all created in-house at 343.

TheOddOne

Certain Affinity being busy working on the six H2A maps hopefully means the 7 Halo 5 beta maps are all created in-house at 343.
Seeing as they had a big part in the development of Halo 4’s multiplayer, they’re even listed as co-developer, I expect them to again fit that role for the next Halo.

Woorloog

Banned
No quit penalty like Reach had for sure (temp ban from MM), such things are infuriating, especially since they may be triggered by temporary connection issues or such.

Make the game good enough people like to play it, and that includes every single map. No crap like symmetric objective games in asymmetric maps... And make the matchmaking good enough people don't feel they have to play with idiots or too good players.
Those two measures alone will reduce quitting.

Persistent quitting should cause the quitter to be forced to play with other quitters, ie low-priority queue. Just don't make it too easy to end up in low-priority queue, and allow people to get out of it.

Also add ability to reconnect in case you lose connection to the game for some reason. No join-in-progress*, no new random players but anyone quitting a game can come back.
Note that i don't mean a system where a quitter can only play the match they started until the match has ended, i'm not sure such system is a good idea (in case the match has hackers, cheaters, exploiters, or the MM screwed up and the match is uneven, or really bad connection, or any other such unpleasant case).

Oh, and make victory important enough people strive for it (compared to Reach and Halo 4 where victory is due to various reasons completely unimportant). Encourage people to play to win, and make the game good enough comeback is a possibility. I figure that helps too.

*Though there could be a warm-up list with join-in-progress. Constant free for all, say half an hour per map. No score tracking, no stats tracking, not even post-game carnage report (this mostly to keep stats-whores from playing it for stat padding). Just something where you can play a bit to warm-up but not worry about poor performance or anything else. Needs a limited MM probably though, so that you don't have to warm-up against pros or noobs...

EDIT Also, not too long matches. 20 minutes for BTB is too much, cut that to 15, or even 12 minutes. Standard Team Slayer round time should be 10 min at most.

jem0208

What's with all the gamertags having 2s in them??

All the footage I've seen of H2A mp, the gamertags all seem to be filled with the number 2. Same with Forza Horizon 2 footage.

Vico

Seeing as they had a big part in the development of Halo 4’s multiplayer, they’re even listed as co-developer, I expect them to again fit that role for the next Halo.

I definitely expect the main game to be just like that, but I hope we get a bigger taste of 343-produced maps than last time.

Looking back, it's still hard to know who made what in Halo 4 multiplayer. Haven was made in-house for sure, I think Adrift and Complex too. But then I don't know, apart from forge which is mostly coming from CA.

Daria

What's with all the gamertags having 2s in them??

All the footage I've seen of H2A mp, the gamertags all seem to be filled with the number 2. Same with Forza Horizon 2 footage.

Probably are a bunch of H2 dev accounts so they know which one is which.

Woorloog

Banned
Whether or not a map is in-house has little effect on whether it is good or not. Now i admit that Certain Affinity's maps haven't been that good really... but then pretty much none of Halo 4's original maps are that good either, in-house or not. Or at least don't play well in Halo 4, so they don't feel good, which is in the end pretty much the same thing, a good map in one game may not be a good map in another.

Omni

Finally got around to watching some of that Sanctuary footage. I'm a little disappointed at the water. It seems exactly like Halo 4's; largely flat and non reactive. Sure it has a nice shader or whatever but uhhh

Not the best screenshot (it's more noticeable in videos). But compare it to the Halo 3 one below

Halo 3's water reacts to the player model as it walks through. Halo 2A's doesn't.

It's a bit picky... and I realise the rest of the game looks great (finally a decent amount of foliage on the map!). But Still. I was kinda hoping that the power of the X1 would allow them to do it again

Omni

I hope Halo 3's water physics are intact, that's all I care about.

I'm more worried about the lighting in Halo 3. Wasn't the whole system pretty peculiar? I just saw a video where someone from 343i said they changed the lighting and shaders (though it's not clear if he's talking about Halo 3 or 4 or both when he says it) so uhh.

I wish we got details on this kind of stuff. Surely they'd know by now where each game is heading. (I still want to know about AA for H3 or if anything is different in CEA too)

So I'm playing spartan assault and the achievement for completing operation f won't unlock (Xbox one). The progress bar for the achievement even says 100%. What do?

TheOddOne

I definitely expect the main game to be just like that, but I hope we get a bigger taste of 343-produced maps than last time.

Looking back, it's still hard to know who made what in Halo 4 multiplayer. Haven was made in-house for sure, I think Adrift and Complex too. But then I don't know, apart from forge which is mostly coming from CA.
Not to diminish both CA and 343 work on the multiplayer though, it definably feels like a collaborative effort. Maybe 343 does more of the heavy lifting this time around, they certainly do seem to have filled out their multiplayer team.

Lazslo

I'm totally blown away by the Halo 2 footage. Being 17 in 2004 and playing Halo 2 multiplayer almost everyday was some of the best years of my life. Just the videos alone bring back so many good memories of those Good Ol' Days. 343 totally nailed it- thank you guys. I can't wait to relive and experience that feeling of playing Neutral-Bomb on Midship or Slayer on Lockout again. The nostalgia factor will be overwhelming- It's going to be a long Fall waiting for this collection. The idea of being able to play Classic H2 just brings a smile to my face.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm totally blown away by the Halo 2 footage. Being 17 in 2004 and playing Halo 2 multiplayer almost everyday was some of the best years of my life. Just the videos alone bring back so many good memories of those Good Ol' Days. 343 totally nailed it- thank you guys. I can't wait to relive and experience that feeling of playing Neutral-Bomb on Midship or Slayer on Lockout again. The nostalgia factor will be overwhelming- It's going to be a long Fall waiting for this collection. The idea of being able to play Classic H2 just brings a smile to my face.

N338XxI.jpg

Okay I'm assuming that random power-up noise in the gamescom build on Ascension is to notify nearby players that the terminal to activate the shield is ready.

Competa

Banned
I am so angry, have never been so angry in my life ! Halo 3 has been taken over by moders and other low lives. Stinkles, just a random question, are you guys still looking over Halo 3 Matchmaking and making new playlist ?

heckfu

Banned
Just checked my mail, still no Halo Community book.

Almost two years boys!

Just a quick recap by the numbers, two years is about:

730 days
$27000 in student loans paid
and 1051200 minutes without explanation of why this hasn't been completed.

Is a refund available?

edit: to be fair, fuchsd messaged me about it recently saying they should have a sample at pax. I wont be there this year and don't think I should have to fly to Seattle to get what I paid for.

Top Bottom