• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Hah, I totally forgot Halo 2 did that! I'm so much more used to seeing them lined up like this, with just small lines of text in the killfeed naming the medals.

ZBE9seF.png
That's understandable :p

I hope they just cut down on the number of medals, and make them visually look similar to the H2 medals. I'd also love them to have the H2 multikill and spree names.

Not the biggest issue, but it'd still be nice.

Madness

I have to question whether we need medals at all. Sure, they have been in Halo for ages... but do we need them?
Certainly they don't need to be shown while playing, less UI clutter you know? (Though i'm going to be hypocrite and note that i'd love the extra visor lines and such you can see in Halo 3, ODST and Halo 4 single player to be in MP, for stronger immersion.)

Fun should always trump realism. The visor lines do nothing but take away screen space, make the field of view or vision more cluttered. They're only there to remind you, what, that you're wearing a helmet? It's one thing in campaign where they were going for that metroid prime style immersion, but it was never needed, especially in multi-player. Give me the medals anyday.

The one thing about the old medals is, because there were less of them, because they used distinct colors, had their own visual identity, it was easy to know what you did and what you got. Halo 4, they all blend in together, and now you have medals for everything, from a slight shot you put into a warthog that exploded from someone else giving you a vehicle assist, to dying more than 3 times and then eventually getting a kill and getting a comeback kill medal.

ElRenoRaven

Don't tell me that was the minimum donation or something

edit: ok it wasn't but holy fuck at the 31 people who did it

Yea it wasn't. I'd be more pissed myself if I had given more then I did. Luckily at that time I couldn't afford more then the 5 buck tier or whatever it was to get the PDF version. That's why I'm not sweating it so much myself. Without a doubt those that gave the larger amounts have every right to be beyond pissed though.

Carrot works better. Make the game fun, make the game rewarding, make playing rewarding, reward staying till the end and doing something.

Im pretty sure halo 2 & 3 were fun & rewarding since everyone praises them so much & they had insane quit issues too. Once in a blue moon did u ever finish a game with everyone still in it. Its as I said, bad players in nature almost always hate lose & will rage quit no matter how fun the game is if they are getting stomped.

There already is a "carrot", match completion bonus. Idk how else you can award a player when a) they don't even care about that, and b) the 1-50 rank system has no use for such a reward. With a system like, say, COD BLOPS2, where after a few disconnects you have a cooldown phase, works better. If it's genuine connection issues, they aren't immediately penalized, but if they just hop match to match looking for a lobby they want, they have a 2 minute cool down. Hell, I'd go the CSGO route and give a 30 minute cool down on ranked playlists.

While I agree that the medals aren't good, there has always been text displayed next to them.
ITGyaEi.jpg
That picture just reminded me -- This HUD outlining is fine IMO:
But what they're continuing with in H2A isn't as appealing:
Too much gradient and white glow? It's difficult to read because the white font with that HUD doesn't mesh well with the game action/encironments compared to the above. The transparency might be its biggest issue.
Sooo
Howard the Duck in GoTG
How dare you..

Woorloog

Banned
There already is a "carrot", match completion bonus.

Not significant enough, nor is it important either. And completion bonuses encourages AFKin or fooling around or other such ineffective playing (same reward no matter what one does). Significant victory bonus (or loss penalty, though i prefer carrot systems) encourages playing to win. That is, if we're talking about some sort XP system.
If victory were three or four times as valuable in terms of experience/credits, i'd say that would work. Double? Not good enough. Of course, this is assuming there's some reasonable point to these, and the system isn't such a ridiculous grind like Reach's... (long grind can discourage people, as it feels like there is no progress).
Ideally, we don't have such system. We don't need this "filling bars" crap that afflicts too much of the video game industry. Halo 4 had it, and... well you know what it caused.

For me, challenging victory itself is a reward. I think i noted sometime ago that Halo 4 is not a game where winning is fun, because the matchmaking sucks so much. So i swept floor with these noobs, how very fun... Not. And i have no doubt there are others who think this about Halo. I mean, there's quite a lot of people who want more skillful Halo, and the more skill something requires, the more challenging it is, is it not?

Halo 3 and quitting. It had some quitting, sure. But i figure fixing issues from that game would have reduced quitting. Better netcode, better MM (no uneven teams), better map/mode combos, no crap like AR starts on Valhalla...
Do note that the XP penalty you got from quitting probably did not really have any effect. Sure there are people who did care about having perfect track record or something, but somehow i doubt that had any significant effect.
Punishment existed but it didn't matter, because the punishment itself was pointless, mostly cosmetic, and because people don't care about punishment they don't think they deserve ("i quit because i didn't have fun / because others were too bad / because others were too good", etc.). It doesn't stop them.

One cannot get rid of quitting completely (even if players had to pay to play a match, there would be quitting, i think). But that's not the point, the point is to make the game good enough people don't quit easily. I reckon most people quit because they're not having fun, and if so, why people are not having fun must be investigated and addressed.
Quit penalties and whatever else are passive deterrents but i think the true solution is in actively making the game better.

Habitual quitters should be punished but not occasional quits, because no system is fool-proof, like i earlier suggested, there may be case where the MM gives uneven match or there are so annoying people others can't stand them, etc.
And i think low-priority matchmaking is the ideal punishment for habitual quitters, you have to play with people like you (cheaters, quitters, racists, whatever else). This works in Dota, it works, as far as i know, in other games. It is not fool-proof, but then no system is.

Why did they make two SMG models? They're different, right?
Ironically the Anniversary MP SMG is closer to the original Halo 2 SMG than the one in Halo 2 Anniversary...

Not significant enough, nor is it important either. And completion bonuses encourages AFKin or fooling around or other such ineffective playing (same reward no matter what one does). Significant victory bonus (or loss penalty, though i prefer carrot systems) encourages playing to win. That is, if we're talking about some sort XP system.
If victory were three or four times as valuable in terms of experience/credits, i'd say that would work. Double? Not good enough. Of course, this is assuming there's some reasonable point to these, and the system isn't such a ridiculous grind like Reach's... (long grind can discourage people, as it feels like there is no progress).
Ideally, we don't have such system. We don't need this "filling bars" crap that afflicts too much of the video game industry. Halo 4 had it, and... well you know what it caused.

For me, challenging victory itself is a reward. I think i noted sometime ago that Halo 4 is not a game where winning is fun, because the matchmaking sucks so much. So i swept floor with these noobs, how very fun... Not. And i have no doubt there are others who think this about Halo. I mean, there's quite a lot of people who want more skillful Halo, and the more skill something requires, the more challenging it is, is it not?

Halo 3 and quitting. It had some quitting, sure. But i figure fixing issues from that game would have reduced quitting. Better netcode, better MM (no uneven teams), better map/mode combos, no crap like AR starts on Valhalla...
Do note that the XP penalty you got from quitting probably did not really have any effect. Sure there are people who did care about having perfect track record or something, but somehow i doubt that had any significant effect.
Punishment existed but it didn't matter, because the punishment itself was pointless, mostly cosmetic, and because people don't care about punishment they don't think they deserve ("i quit because i didn't have fun / because others were too bad / because others were too good", etc.). It doesn't stop them.

One cannot get rid of quitting completely (even if players had to pay to play a match, there would be quitting, i think). But that's not the point, the point is to make the game good enough people don't quit easily. I reckon most people quit because they're not having fun, and if so, why people are not having fun must be investigated and addressed.
Quit penalties and whatever else are passive deterrents but i think the true solution is in actively making the game better.

Habitual quitters should be punished but not occasional quits, because no system is fool-proof, like i earlier suggested, there may be case where the MM gives uneven match or there are so annoying people others can't stand them, etc.
And i think low-priority matchmaking is the ideal punishment for habitual quitters, you have to play with people like you (cheaters, quitters, racists, whatever else). This works in Dota, it works, as far as i know, in other games. It is not fool-proof, but then no system is.

Ironically the Anniversary MP SMG is closer to the original Halo 2 SMG than the one in Halo 2 Anniversary...

Way to read my post... I touched on like 3/4th of what you just said.

Woorloog

Banned
Way to read my post... I touched on like 3/4th of what you just said.

You were suggesting a stick, were you not? Cooldown phase is a stick. It is exactly the sort of annoyance i don't find useful in anyway. It doesn't stop quitting, it doesn't prevent it. It is just a passive deterrent, and such things don't necessarily work well. (Didn't work for Reach as far as a i remember)
EDIT and Halo 3-like game, with rank system and no use for victory bonus, the reward must be the fun game itself. Focus on making staying fun, not on making quitting inconvenient.

Also, was partially responding to Tsumiya.

Blueblur1

The two pieces of content, H2A campaign and H2A MP, are being made by two different teams which explain the disparity between gun models and character models (Spartans). Does it make sense for the final product to feature different models? Not at all, in my opinion. Methinks someone needs to decide which models to keep and which to nix so there's at least some cohesion between the two pieces of content.

Madness

But doesn't the campaign have to be done while still working with the original geometry and original engine running simultaneously?

Maybe it's just easier to model the weapons in H2A campaign mode because they're just doing everything brand new from the ground up? That could explain why weapons might look different from mode to mode no?

I don't think it's a big deal actually. The actual games share a unified menu, so it's not as if say the H2A multi-player will be in its own menu with the campaign as opposed to being just in the multi-player menu no?

Blueblur1

But doesn't the campaign have to be done while still working with the original geometry and original engine running simultaneously?

Maybe it's just easier to model the weapons in H2A campaign mode because they're just doing everything brand new from the ground up? That could explain why weapons might look different from mode to mode no?

I don't think it's a big deal actually. The actual games share a unified menu, so it's not as if say the H2A multi-player will be in its own menu with the campaign as opposed to being just in the multi-player menu no?

It's been stated that it is a graphics engine overlayed over the original therefore the SMG model is just a model like anything else displayed. Shouldn't be an insane task to swap it out.

Regardless, all of the models have looked rough. I doubt any of them are final. I just hope they choose the best fitting ones and use them across the board to build a cohesive H2A experience.

It's been stated that it is a graphics engine overlayed over the original therefore the SMG model is just a model like anything else displayed. Shouldn't be an insane task to swap it out.

Regardless, all of the models have looked rough. I doubt any of them are final. I just hope they choose the best fitting ones and use them across the board to build a cohesive H2A experience.
You won't get a cohesive look regardless, the art design for the levels in multiplayer is based on Halo 4 while campaign is a mix of 2 and Reach with the saturation of CEA.

Madness

You're probably right. I think all these teams are probably working on their respective things and that they'll come together when they're done and before the game goes gold and they start pressing discs. Right now, it seems Max and CA are doing the multi-player, Blur doing the cinematics, Saber doing the campaign, 343 doing the unified menus, the back end work, and doing the updated audio down at Skywalker Sound. Maybe Frank can let us know.

Why did they make two SMG models? They're different, right?

I'm confused about that also.

Which brings me to a thought- Although Halo 5 is said to have done away with Loadouts, perhaps custom weapon skins for 'starting class' weapons can still be a thing. It would be cool to be able to swap out the entire BR model for a Halo 2A style BR if you choose to, etc.

Madness

I'm confused about that also.

Which brings me to a thought- Although Halo 5 is said to have done away with Loadouts, perhaps custom weapon skins for 'starting class' weapons can still be a thing. It would be cool to be able to swap out the entire BR model for a Halo 2A style BR if you choose to, etc.

I thought it was only the limited 3 week beta where they said even starts, 4v4 combat will be back, with midship front and center to that. Not the full game itself? I'm guessing the fact they added weapon sets to H2A means I think Loadouts will continue in the full game.

I thought it was only the limited 3 week beta where they said even starts, 4v4 combat will be back, with midship front and center to that. Not the full game itself? I'm guessing the fact they added weapon sets to H2A means I think Loadouts will continue in the full game.

Again, as Bravo confirmed, loadouts in H2A are a custom game option, not the default.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Just to clarify: the weapon sets in H2A are optional, and not on by default according to Bravo. Who knows what that might mean for Halo 5.

Edit: Anyone here getting Diablo 3 on XB1? Let's play together!

Kibbles

Hooked up my surface to my 50" plasma and put on that twitch record of the pro scrimmage, blocky twitch stream but 60fps on the big screen is delicious. The buggy flickering on Ascension was a bit annoying though

One of those is a waste of your time and money and the other is also that!

Lars is much cooler than heckfu
Have you seen Lars lately? He's cooler than all of us.
Indeed he is.
11292-lars.jpg

Lars Bakken is awesome, I'm a fan.
Frankie, have any food joints or movies you're looking forward to? I know someone you might be interested in attending it with, seeing as what happened with
The Joseph Staten ;]

Top Bottom