• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

MaGlock

What's crazy is, so many spoke of Halo feeling old without things like sprint, ADS, loadouts, armor abilities etc. And yet for the past few days, I've seen not only casual but high level play without any of that in a sense, and not only is the game play new, competitive, but also fun. Everyone who's played H2A has said it's great and they can't wait.

Last night, the finals were getting 14k viewers on twitch, imagine if it was a larger tournament, more US teams and at a better time as well.

I doubt Microsoft would miss the opportunity for that. Great marketing having a big tournament to promote your game.

So, this may be old news, but there was a species of Marine Reptile, Atopodentatus, who's head reminds me of an Elite.

M7kXbjE.jpg

Just felt like sharing.

Kibbles

5J2Gy1y.jpg

The one used in the MP is apparently the Halo 3 model, which could just be a place holder until they bring over the new one we've seen in campaign footage.

Ew, no. The campaign one looks bad, they need to bring the MP version over to Campaign if they are bringing over anything.

So, this may be old news, but there was a species of Marine Reptile, Atopodentatus, who's head reminds me of an Elite.

M7kXbjE.jpg

Just felt like sharing.

Looks like Dr. Seuss's Halo.

The H5 Beta rocket launcher depresses me. Making single-shot power power weapons seems like a quick way to make something leagues more powerful than Spartans should be getting their hands on, at least as far as a shot-for-shot basis goes. At least with stuff like the Grenade Launcher, it had a fairly quick reload time and there was incentive to keep it single-shot for the sake of adding more technical aspects to the projectile. If anything, I feel like a new humanoid rocket launcher would be neat if it had four shots per clip, kinda like one of Rocket Raccoon's weapons in GotG:

LiOIHNOl.jpg

Hell, all of the Halo 5 Beta weapons depress me. I kind of wish Halo didn't start shooting for hyper-realistic blast processing graphics and just stylized the fuck out of everything it had more in line with what Metroid Prime did, but with better IQ. It's pretty easy to scribble out a few lines and think "oh, that's the Assault Rifle," so it would have been nice if they had taken that philosophy, simplified the weapon concepts, and put all their chips on better lighting and water systems like Bungie did with Halo 3. Might be helpful to invest in some AA, though.

Fuchsdh

I agree to a point, but it really just looks like an SMG with a crazy amount of detail and super high poly count. Look at the AR, too.
GxiJCWo.png

EDIT: Actually, here are all the weapons from the ViDoc incase someone hasn't seen them all yet...

Some of it is just the textures are obviously unfinished, but the multi-tones on the guns seem really off, like they haven't coordinated colors yet.

Fuchsdh

Something in the vain of this concept art?

Seems over the top for Halo, but I could see the Insurrectionists writing slurs or slogans on their weapons. From everything we've heard they don't produce anything themselves, so it would be an interesting way of differentiating their weaponry. That first requires us to actually fight them in a game though...

Rev3rb

Cross-post from the thread thread:

Source: https://twitter.com/JumPeRJumPzZ/status/501137202060201985

I saw the Custom Games lobby on-screen during the stream at some point and ended up wondering if I actually saw the player list on the bottom of the screen. Sure enough, there it is.

I really wonder why 343 is so averse to putting the player list on the right like Halo 2 did and every other modern games currently does. I really want to know why.

Yay, no more baseball cards...

So I got 100% in Spartan Assault, what a fucking grind-fest that game is. After one time through I thought it was a fun little game. After getting all of those assault ops challenges, I never want to play that shit again. What were they thinking, exactly?

HTupolev

So I got 100% in Spartan Assault, what a fucking grind-fest that game is. After one time through I thought it was a fun little game. After getting all of those assault ops challenges, I never want to play that shit again.
And now you went through with 100%ing it, they have an extra statistic which will be interpreted as "people find this fun", and they'll put effort into making more stuff just like it in the future.

I feel like that junk-punk aesthetic would really combat the idea of what we've heard of Insurrectionist tech so far. Other than the occasional dirty bomb, I've pictured Innie tech as being a mix of stolen UNSC gear painted over aggressively (see AR flamethrower skin) or poor-man's-ONI stuff that's mostly dark blackish metals with less advanced fastenings compared to the official UNSC stuff (adhesive gels, maybe space duct tape, etc) with visible wiring and stuff. Easiest example I can think of is my "keytar grenade" concept I made as a visualization for a grenade Greencastle thought of that was a more technically-intensive mid-range Spike Grenade.

imwUrfe2cdc0X.png

That new rocket model has to be a new weapon. No redesigns for the sake of being different. Please 343.

thats like telling a wasp to not sting you.

also did i hear something about De-scoping and sprint in H2A: MP?

@goldenboy on twitter (a primarily CoD caster) seems to think its a good idea.

Mistel

Banned
Seems over the top for Halo, but I could see the Insurrectionists writing slurs or slogans on their weapons. From everything we've heard they don't produce anything themselves, so it would be an interesting way of differentiating their weaponry. That first requires us to actually fight them in a game though...
It is bit over the top for halo. Something a bit more tame would be nice for insurrectionists. They did make that extended APC warthog themselves.
That would fit the brutes armor design, easily.
Brutes are probably the closest things to bandits within halo.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
thats like telling a wasp to not sting you.

also did i hear something about De-scoping and sprint in H2A: MP?

@goldenboy on twitter (a primarily CoD caster) seems to think its a good idea.

I think what he's saying is he's happy there's no sprint and there is descoping like in halo 2 classic

If they remove descoping and add sprint for pro players as an option, i may vomit

I think what he's saying is he's happy there's no sprint and there is descoping like in halo 2 classic

If they remove descoping and add sprint for CoD players as an option, i may vomit

fixed.

and the way it seemed is that he was okay with sprint and no-descoping because it will attract more casuals.

every fps caster is primarily a CoD caster lol
He got internet known for CoD. unlike Unfrankable or Gandhi

IHaveIce

Banned
Cross-post from the thread thread:

Source: https://twitter.com/JumPeRJumPzZ/status/501137202060201985

I saw the Custom Games lobby on-screen during the stream at some point and ended up wondering if I actually saw the player list on the bottom of the screen. Sure enough, there it is.

I really wonder why 343 is so averse to putting the player list on the right like Halo 2 did and every other modern games currently does. I really want to know why.
It is an early build and I could swear I saw a lobby where the list was on the right.

Also descoping is in Halo 2 A and there is no sprint and when I asked somebody it didn't seem like that would change

But that doesn't make much sense. If their vision for the beta to have arena style mp why wouldn't that core focus be included to the final build?

im not trying to say they wont, im saying: all they have confirmed is an arena focus in the beta. whether they scrap that like they did H4C is another story.

IHaveIce

Banned
Of course it is said because the beta is their 4v4 mode, the final game will also have BTB etc.

How about we wait with beta judgements until we see aaaaanyy gameplay from it.

Stop rioting over nothing.

After watching the halo 2 gamescom matches earlier on twitch it was apparent that the speed of the game and movement was plenty fast. It just affirms in my mind that sprint isn't necessary in halo, but that's just like my opinion man.

im not trying to say they wont, im saying: all they have confirmed is an arena focus in the beta. whether they scrap that like they did H4C is another story.
H4 was a different issue though. Their focus from the internal beta to the final build was pretty much almost the same. They admitted scrapping the classic halo assuming sometime around alpha, but they didn't clarify exactly when that was done.

Changing their core focus from beta to the final build is a pretty huge move.

I still expect modes/playlists in H2A and/or Halo 5 to allow for variety. I love the marketing push and focus on classic Halo but I'm not against modes like BTB or similar having sprint and loadouts etc.

I'm all for the reversal of the launch version of Halo 4 but I'm also against a 100% return to no sprint. My personal speculation is prepare yourselves for variety based on modes but be very fucking happy classic Halo is a core launch and marketing focus. I love 4v4 arena play (with radar bitches) but I also like being able to traverse a BTB map via sprint for example.

I still expect modes/playlists in H2A and/or Halo 5 to allow for variety. I love the marketing push and focus on classic Halo but I'm not against modes like BTB or similar having sprint and loadouts etc.

I'm all for the reversal of the launch version of Halo 4 but I'm also against a 100% return to no sprint. My personal speculation is prepare yourselves for variety based on modes but be very fucking happy classic Halo is a core launch and marketing focus. I love 4v4 arena play (with radar bitches) but I also like being able to traverse a BTB map via sprint for example.

Wouldn't need sprint if base movement speed was better.

Karl2177

fail8-gif.gif

Welfare

I'd rather my gaming expeirence be the same in the same game. Radar is a minor thing that can be turned off, but I doubt there will be an option to turn off sprint.

Wouldn't need sprint if base movement speed was better.

I can't say I agree, beyond 5-10% of base movement. If you up to say 110-125% you feel like Quake or UT, it can also affect gunplay and strafing etc. If you consider sprint as 150-200% of base movement you can see why BTB maps allow faster movement all round.

For small arena maps this may hold true but I'm happy to lose sprint on maps like The Pit or High Ground or Zanzibar etc. Maps like Longbow or new larger scale cloud modes I wouldn't want to be forced into a vehicle just to traverse the map.

I suppose that's my personal preference on sprint vs. map size.

@Karl, I'm tempted to shop in our avatars on those cats :)

I'd rather my gaming expeirence be the same in the same game. Radar is a minor thing that can be turned off, but I doubt there will be an option to turn off sprint.

Sure I can understand the want for uniformity. For me I consider radar vs no radar more impacting than sprint vs no sprint. Call me crazy.

Buwx

I think a compromise is a swell idea. I like some of the new stuff... But I don't want it replacing the classic Halo I know and love. Loadouts and sprint are fine... As custom game options.

I think a compromise is a swell idea. I like some of the new stuff... But I don't want it replacing the classic Halo I know and love. Loadouts and sprint are fine... As custom game options.

For small playlists I enjoy no sprint so I can agree keep arena tight and classic. I think BTB is that middle ground where perhaps vote variants could help. As for any newer potential modes like SPOPS coop or cloud large scale JiP stuff I think sprint is relevant and almost necessary for the latter.

Top Bottom