• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

For small playlists I enjoy no sprint so I can agree keep arena tight and classic. I think BTB is that middle ground where perhaps vote variants could help. As for any newer potential modes like SPOPS coop or cloud large scale JiP stuff I think sprint is relevant and almost necessary for the latter.

Sprint will never be relevant to Halo. just because other games do it, doesnt mean its needed at all.

I still expect modes/playlists in H2A and/or Halo 5 to allow for variety. I love the marketing push and focus on classic Halo but I'm not against modes like BTB or similar having sprint and loadouts etc.

I'm all for the reversal of the launch version of Halo 4 but I'm also against a 100% return to no sprint. My personal speculation is prepare yourselves for variety based on modes but be very fucking happy classic Halo is a core launch and marketing focus. I love 4v4 arena play (with radar bitches) but I also like being able to traverse a BTB map via sprint for example.

aZWW2K9_460sa_v1.gif

TheOddOne

After watching the halo 2 gamescom matches earlier on twitch it was apparent that the speed of the game and movement was plenty fast. It just affirms in my mind that sprint isn't necessary in halo, but that's just like my opinion man.
But that, is, like, the, only, right, opinion, man.

Sprint will never be relevant to Halo. just because other games do it, doesnt mean its needed at all.

Again I'm super happy with smaller arena maps just NOT having sprint but in coop or BTB or new modes I see why sprint may be preferable.

When I think forward about removing plasma pistols and stickies from loadouts in modes like BTB it would be nice to have sprint for traversal, vehicle dodge, vehicle boarding attack, evade a group of enemies if you're on your own etc. Unless they bring back some weapons and equipment from Halo 3 e.g. power drain or missile pod.

I feel it's relevant because it's silly a Spartan with super human abilities can only walk in game? I don't care what other games do I've always felt it silly that Spartans can't run.

I want to use that H2A Magnum. Looks like it might be a 7-8sk? If they gave it a scope, I would rock the shit out of that weapon.. probably still will anyway.

Welfare

I feel it's relevant because it's silly a Spartan with super human abilities can only walk in game? I don't care what other games do I've always felt it silly that Spartans can't run.
Not this argument again. Why can't the movement speed be fast enough to give the feeling of sprint? I think it's silly that Spartans can't shoot while running. Do I want 343 to let us shoot while sprinting? No! Because that would make sprint redundent, which it already is.

OH MY GOD YES, I knew I'd recently an AR with that same color palate but I couldn't remember where, it was because I recently rewatched the 2000 E3 demo for Halo.

Yup, the instant I saw the Halo 5 AR the E3 2000 demo came to mind. I actually like it, though it would probably look better if they darkened the grays.

Mix

Yup, the instant I saw the Halo 5 AR the E3 2000 demo came to mind. I actually like it, though it would probably look better if they darkened the grays.

I think if the black was eliminated and the gray of the metal was darkened slightly then the tan would look fine.

Madness

Not this argument again. Why can't the movement speed be fast enough to give the feeling of sprint? I think it's silly that Spartans can't shoot while running. Do I want 343 to let us shoot while sprinting? No! Because that would make sprint redundent, which it already is.

Has anyone who has played H2A lamented the fact there is no sprint? Not really. I'd bet the people crying for spring are in the extreme minority, and the only two people who I know want it here, slurped for every other shitty feature added, and were often proved wrong on how devastating it's been to the game play and player population.

Mix

Yeah, up the movement speed a ton and make it feel like we're moving fast, and then 343 can add their little spartan abilities they're adding. Halo 4's base speed is pretty good compared to Halo 3's. Halo 2 also had a pretty good movement speed.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
One thing I found interesting about the cancelled Halo MMO, was the weapons.

2881815803_d93f20c1ba.jpg
2881816379_c9972cf246.jpg
2882647882_ffcfca1d31.jpg
2882652056_ab01a62ece.jpg
medium_2883237052_de4b7dbeaf_o.jpg

I think they had much more freedom with the designs, so they took some into interesting directions.

blamite

Not a big fan of the Foreruner guns (although the spears are pretty alright), but the carbine and brute shot variations are pretty nice.

I wouldn't mind if those top two Carbine concepts reappeared as high-grade military police sort of weapons.

And the Forerunner staves are so perfect! They're basically beam tower blades. They make a million times more sense than arbitrary hardlight scythes.

-Ryn

Banned
Yeah, up the movement speed a ton and make it feel like we're moving fast, and then 343 can add their little spartan abilities they're adding. Halo 4's base speed is pretty good compared to Halo 3's. Halo 2 also had a pretty good movement speed.
Halo 2 had a really nice movement speed and I hope that Halo 5 has a similar speed.

As for sprint, I say keep it in with the option to turn it off. Really what is the problem with this? It allows for both parties to be satisfied and would do what Halo has always done well; allow variety. Does sprint belong on small arena maps? No I don't think so. Does it belong or work for medium to large maps? Yeah I think it does and even makes it better.

Has anyone who has played H2A lamented the fact there is no sprint? Not really. I'd bet the people crying for spring are in the extreme minority, and the only two people who I know want it here, slurped for every other shitty feature added, and were often proved wrong on how devastating it's been to the game play and player population.
I like sprint in Halo (though it should be kept out of arena maps).
Don't like most of the additions Halo 4 made.
Plenty of people I've played with online also enjoy it. I also doubt it was very detrimental to the population given that Reach had it and kept a solid population for quite a while.

The deployment was nowhere near as badass as that trailer made it out to be either. Just a magic bubble appearing with a whimpy back-handed toss :p
You just kind of lazily toss it out which sucks compared to throwing into the ground like a badass.

HTupolev

Plenty of people I've played with online also enjoy it.
People you played with from what population? If you were asking active Halo 4 players, that might be a questionable in terms of gauging what the potential general Halo community would prefer.

I also doubt it was very detrimental to the population given that Reach had it and kept a solid population for quite a while.
Well, if we're playing that game.

e8bVWzv.png

Dat correlation ;)

Madness

Halo 2 had a really nice movement speed and I hope that Halo 5 has a similar speed.

As for sprint, I say keep it in with the option to turn it off. Really what is the problem with this? It allows for both parties to be satisfied and would do what Halo has always done well; allow variety. Does sprint belong on small arena maps? No I don't think so. Does it belong or work for medium to large maps? Yeah I think it does and even makes it better.

I like sprint in Halo (though it should be kept out of arena maps).
Don't like most of the additions Halo 4 made.
Plenty of people I've played with online also enjoy it. I also doubt it was very detrimental to the population given that Reach had it and kept a solid population for quite a while.

You just kind of lazily toss it out which sucks compared to throwing into the ground like a badass.

I disagree, plus, sprint is one of the factors that the population of Reach and Halo 4 suffered. I bet there are more Halo fans who don't want sprint, than fans who do. Hard to quantify but it seems the overwhelming positive reaction to H2A and the negative reactions to Halo 4 and Reach back it up somewhat.

I think it impacts BTB heavily, but this has been argued so much already. I can't wait for November. I mean of H2A is fun as hell, and so far everyone from pros to casual have loved it, and don't even notice no sprint, what's the real issue then?

-Ryn

Banned
People you played with from what population? If you were asking active Halo 4 players, that might be a questionable in terms of gauging what the potential general Halo community would prefer.
Mostly from Reach but I've heard similar opinions from players of 4 (though the latter is irrelevant in this case).

Well, if we're playing that game.

e8bVWzv.png

Dat correlation ;)
lol Let's not forget that there were plenty of other factors that played into it.

Sluggish overall gameplay along with bloom, armor abilities (Armor Lock anyone?), the ranking system (or lack thereof depending on who you talk to), super grenades, and a myriad of other changes went towards that. Halo 4 having sprint was the LEAST of its problems.

I am also like to see sprint in Halo 5, if 343i decided to take out sprint of the game for Halo 5, Please make the spartan walk faster, I absolutely hate how the spartans felt like a turtle in Halo 3, sooooo dull and slow.

In ODST you got sprint, in a cutscene......

I think they had much more freedom with the designs, so they took some into interesting directions.

There are some borderlands esque designs there

-Ryn

Banned
I disagree, plus, sprint is one of the factors that the population of Reach and Halo 4 suffered. I bet there are more Halo fans who don't want sprint, than fans who do. Hard to quantify but it seems the overwhelming positive reaction to H2A and the negative reactions to Halo 4 and Reach back it up somewhat.

I think it impacts BTB heavily, but this has been argued so much already. I can't wait for November. I mean of H2A is fun as hell, and so far everyone from pros to casual have loved it, and don't even notice no sprint, what's the real issue then?
3056046-1032158278-51664.jpg

I'd bet that there's almost as many if not just as many people who like or don't mind sprint but then your guess is as good as mine. Sprint is in the unfortunate position of being associated with all of the other problems that Reach and 4 had. I don't think it's invalid to not like it, and I agree that it doesn't belong in arena maps (there's been plenty of solid points on that), but I don't think it flat out doesn't belong in Halo.

Anniversary is going to be a blast and I can't wait for November, but I don't think it works as a comparison for how well a mechanic works. The point of a remake is being able to see an older game that people already loved given a fresh coat of paint so most people won't complain if it doesn't get changed. I'm certainly not.

Those forerunner and sniper designs are my jam!

It's cool to see what people can do when they are able to let loose. It's a shame Emsemble was closed down.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I've said this before
(what haven't I already discussed here?)
, but I think sprint feels good. It's really fun to run around and parkour my way through an environment. And sprint can make me feel more of a bad ass. Shoot a dude in the head, throw a grenade at two other dudes, and sprint and jump off a platform before the grenade even explodes. It's awesome. I definitely feel more like an unstoppable cybernetic soldier when I can sprint.

But despite all this, sprint needs to go. It just has too many negative repercussions on how map design and player behavior. I'm sick of jumbo maps with wide sight lines, and I'm sick of having to turn my back to a fight to reach maximum speed.

Sprint needs to go. Give us a faster base movement speed, and if you want to play around with wacky movement abilities, try something that can be used in any direction like thruster / evade.

-Ryn

Banned
I've said this before
(what haven't I already discussed here?)
, but I think sprint feels good. It's really fun to run around and parkour my way through an environment. And sprint can make me feel more of a bad ass. Shoot a dude in the head, throw a grenade at two other dudes, and sprint and jump off a platform before the grenade even explodes. It's awesome. I definitely feel more like an unstoppable cybernetic soldier when I can sprint.

But despite all this, sprint needs to go. It just has too many negative repercussions on how map design and player behavior. I'm sick of jumbo maps with wide sight lines, and I'm sick of having to turn my back to a fight to reach maximum speed.

Sprint needs to go. Give us a faster base movement speed, and if you want to play around with wacky movement abilities, try something that can be used in any direction like thruster / evade.
I think keeping sprint limited to medium and large (maybe just large) maps while also having a higher base movement speed (somewhere around Halo 2 or 4) would alleviate this problem (or at least make it less prominent). Titanfall for instance had large open maps with a great movement system that complimented the large sight lines. While they are different, I think Halo could learn from it.

Like you said sprint can be a lot of fun and make you feel great but it isn't without its problems (both of which are true), but there's a middle point to be reached. The thruster pack is a great addition but I don't think it should replace sprint. Hell I think it compliments it.

Madness

3056046-1032158278-51664.jpg

I'd bet that there's almost as many if not just as many people who like or don't mind sprint but then your guess is as good as mine. Sprint is in the unfortunate position of being associated with all of the other problems that Reach and 4 had. I don't think it's invalid to not like it, and I agree that it doesn't belong in arena maps (there's been plenty of solid points on that), but I don't think it flat out doesn't belong in Halo.

Anniversary is going to be a blast and I can't wait for November, but I don't think it works as a comparison for how well a mechanic works. The point of a remake is being able to see an older game that people already loved given a fresh coat of paint so most people won't complain if it doesn't get changed. I'm certainly not.

Those forerunner and sniper designs are my jam!

It's cool to see what people can do when they are able to let loose. It's a shame Emsemble was closed down.

And yet, if we took a poll of most communities on whether sprint belongs in Halo, do you honestly believe there will be more for it, or against it? You can't just say universal sprint is the least of the problems in Halo 4 without acknowledging that yes, it is still a problem.

Additionally, here is a wrench thrown in the argument that Anniversary is a fresh coat of paint on an old game. It's not. Halo 2 Anniversary multi-player is actually the newest form of Halo multi-player there is, even more so than Halo 4. And if the games have played fine without sprint, then what's the issue is what I'm saying. The gunplay and movement look solid. Has anyone complained that you cannot sprint? Doubtful, but I've seen tons and tons of posts happy that it's no longer there.

Also, why do you keep saying arena maps? They're all arena maps, the only difference is size. Look, what is sprint? It's faster accelerated movement, period. I sprint all the time in call of duty, I even equip marathon/marathon pro, lightweight sometimes. But it doesn't work for Halo. If you stripped away load outs, armor abilities, flinching, you'd still have universal sprint as a problem affecting the game play.

But it's all our opinions, we draw a line in the sand, and mine is no sprint, I played 3 solid Halo multiplayers without it, and two shittier ones with it in. But hey, at the end of the day, 343 makes the decisions and then lives with the results/consequences, if they want to take another chance with sprint, load outs, even ADS, it's their prerogative.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I think sprint is a bad idea, but it's not even close to the top of my list of concerns. Huh, maybe I should actually try to rank all my critiques / concerns about the current state of Halo... Even I'm not sure how I might prioritize things...

Madness

I think sprint is a bad idea, but it's not even close to the top of my list of concerns. Huh, maybe I should actually try to rank all my critiques / concerns about the current state of Halo... Even I'm not sure how I might prioritize things...

Of course, I'd say what really made Halo 4 horrible for me is loadouts, personal ordnance, perks, flinching, universal sprint, quick weapon despawn times, instant respawn, heavy aim assist, global ordnance, no X on death etc. They've fixed a few of those.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Of course, I'd say what really made Halo 4 horrible for me is loadouts, personal ordnance, perks, flinching, universal sprint, quick weapon despawn times, instant respawn, heavy aim assist, global ordnance, no X on death etc. They've fixed a few of those.
Good list. Here's what I came up with off the top of my head:
  1. Halo has strayed too far from the balanced, even playing field design of Halo 1 and 2. Armor abilities, perks, ordnance drops, and perks locked behind DLC paywalls are all examples of this.
  2. Mediocre maps in Reach and Halo 4.
  3. Replace Forge with a more fleshed out map editor.
  4. Mishandling of objective gametypes (Assault, CTF).
  5. Poor playlist management (Custom Games Browser please!)
  6. The poor approach to DLC (Again, CGB please!)
  7. Flinch
  8. Sprint
  9. Hit markers
  10. Grenade Indicators
  11. Customizable Controls
  12. Y axis sensitivity
Those are all over the map, and the interconnected issues are best analyzed without trying to separate them, but it's 2:23 AM here and I'm sleepy.

willow ve

Sprint negatively affects gunplay in my opinion. The inclusion of sprint forces larger and larger maps to be made. When you have large map then players are forced to use sprint as it simply takes too long to get to weapons, objectives, or where the action is happening.

The current sprint animation has a cool down effect at the end where you can't shoot. Your aiming reticle is visible, but you're not allowed to take a shot. If any form of sprint remains in the games going forward this needs to change. The instant I stop sprinting I should be allowed to start shooting. No cool down period.

jem0208

Good list. Here's what I came up with off the top of my head:
  1. Halo has strayed too far from the balanced, even playing field design of Halo 1 and 2. Armor abilities, perks, ordnance drops, and perks locked behind DLC paywalls are all examples of this.
  2. Mediocre maps in Reach and Halo 4.
  3. Replace Forge with a more fleshed out map editor.
  4. Mishandling of objective gametypes (Assault, CTF).
  5. Poor playlist management (Custom Games Browser please!)
  6. The poor approach to DLC (Again, CGB please!)
  7. Flinch
  8. Sprint
  9. Hit markers
  10. Grenade Indicators
  11. Customizable Controls
  12. Y axis sensitivity
Those are all over the map, and the interconnected issues are best analyzed without trying to separate them, but it's 2:23 AM here and I'm sleepy.

What's wrong with hit markers?

I've always liked them, more information for the player bud generally a good thing and hit markers are a very unobtrusive and useful piece of info to have. It always annoyed me in 3 when I was shooting someone at a distance and I had no idea if I was hitting them or not.

Do people object to hit markers? I personally see them as handy visual feedback, when it's sometimes difficult to tell whether you are hitting an opponent.

People are giving valid reasons as to why/how it negatively effects game play. Can you tell me what you believe are the positives for it staying besides the fact you think it's "fun"?

- Adds interactive cinematic experience to gameplay
- Allows for emergent dynamism in firefights
- Can be used to escape overly challenging scenarios with no repercussions
- Forces larger-scale maps to be used, adding more depth to expansive battlefields that take you beyond the call of duty
- Minimizes skill-based gunplay in favor of map movement (gaf loves map control!)
- Contextualizes the universe, adding variable accessibility for new audiences

Akai__

The 3rd picture (on the top right) looks like it's straight out of Mass Effect. The Vindicator looks kinda similiar to a coupple of those.
Not complaining, just wanted to point it out. :p
And I really like the Brute weapons on there. Wished Halo 5 would introduce Brutes again, with weapons similiar to this.

-Ryn

Banned
And yet, if we took a poll of most communities on whether sprint belongs in Halo, do you honestly believe there will be more for it, or against it? You can't just say universal sprint is the least of the problems in Halo 4 without acknowledging that yes, it is still a problem.
Yes it is a problem for smaller "arena" maps (will explain later). To be quite honest, I'm sure more would be against it but not to the degree that some people think. I'm not just talking players that just casually play the game either. I think plenty of the more dedicated players wouldn't mind or would like sprint to stay. I've played through every Halo, enjoyed each multiplayer through LAN and online (except for 2), and thought they each brought something to the table as I'm sure you do. I think that sprint can work for Halo in larger games.

Additionally, here is a wrench thrown in the argument that Anniversary is a fresh coat of paint on an old game. It's not. Halo 2 Anniversary multi-player is actually the newest form of Halo multi-player there is, even more so than Halo 4. And if the games have played fine without sprint, then what's the issue is what I'm saying. The gunplay and movement look solid. Has anyone complained that you cannot sprint? Doubtful, but I've seen tons and tons of posts happy that it's no longer there.
I say that it's a new coat of paint because while yes it has been updated, it is still the same game (at least based on the gameplay I've seen). Yes it is the newest Halo multiplayer to be released but it's still the same game just refined (some might say that's how it should be but I don't think so). 343 have continually said that they've worked to make it feel like an updated Halo 2.

Also, why do you keep saying arena maps? They're all arena maps, the only difference is size. Look, what is sprint? It's faster accelerated movement, period. I sprint all the time in call of duty, I even equip marathon/marathon pro, lightweight sometimes. But it doesn't work for Halo. If you stripped away load outs, armor abilities, flinching, you'd still have universal sprint as a problem affecting the game play.
When I say "arena" maps I'm talking smaller 4v4 maps that everyone seems to refer to as classic Halo. Most posts I've seen here (and many other places) that have the words "classic" and "arena", will likely be followed by the words "small" and "4v4" maps. Apologies for the confusion.

So why doesn't sprint work in Halo? It isn't just a boost in speed. It's a limited boost that can be used strategically. There's the problem with every map being scaled up in size because of sprint which is why I propose (as others have) that it be optional. Limit it to large maps and game types. Hell, they can even make a classic BTB if they wanted because the option would be there. Just as you've heard people complain about it I've heard plenty say how they like it as an addition.

But it's all our opinions, we draw a line in the sand, and mine is no sprint, I played 3 solid Halo multiplayers without it, and two shittier ones with it in. But hey, at the end of the day, 343 makes the decisions and then lives with the results/consequences, if they want to take another chance with sprint, load outs, even ADS, it's their prerogative.
Well thanks for the conversation.
It's always cool to hear others opinions regardless of how it will affect the outcome of something. Cheers.

Halo

Well I think sprint should come back tbqh

RIP homeboyd's opinions

Honestly, I remember wanting some kind of sprinting function in Halo 3, but it was purely for machinima purposes. It'd be nice to have the option to have characters move with a sense of urgency, but I don't actually want it to be considered part of the primary sandbox.

An "on set" gametype where characters could more easily lower / drop their weapons, have slight head bobs up and down according to highs and lows in mic inputs (think GTAV), etc. would be really convenient.

Homeboyd

RIP homeboyd's opinions

Honestly, I remember wanting some kind of sprinting function in Halo 3, but it was purely for machinima purposes. It'd be nice to have the option to have characters move with a sense of urgency, but I don't actually want it to be considered part of the primary sandbox.

An "on set" gametype where characters could more easily lower / drop their weapons, have slight head bobs up and down according to highs and lows in mic inputs (think GTAV), etc. would be really convenient.
I was joking :) :) :) :) :)

But seriously... ADS pls

Btw, what's new from gamescom? Saw day 1, been out of commission since.. Thanks in advance

Top Bottom