• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Obscured

Hit markers are necessary if the game's audio visual feedback alone isn't enough to convey that you are in fact dealing damage. I don't know about you, but the audio visual feedback of Reach's shields were done so well that hit markers would have felt redundant.

Hit markers also create a problem when used with grenades. Say you're trying to flush out an enemy but you don't know where they are, so start throwing nades and you score a hit that doesn't kill. With hit markers, you now know where the enemy is and are put in the advantageous position purely by guesswork. Without hit markers, the enemy still has the element of surprise, can make a tactical retreat without being seen, or hold their ground without their position being given away.

On the other hand, hit markers are useful in an online environment where latency makes weird shit happen and audio visual feedback just isn't enough.

One thing I liked about Reach was I always felt like I knew what was going on.

I kind of feel the same way about text on the screen, I'd rather know what is going on by the action I'm seeing on screen, basically show versus tell. I don't hate it, but I'd rather more intuitive and subtle indicators.

Hit markers lead to too much of a fire and forget mentality I think.

I hope Halo montages become a frequent thing once MCC is out. Seems only natural given how much easier it'll be.

I wonder what the modern day music accompaniment will be? I was going to make a joke about folk-metal till I discovered that is actually a thing and a thing that has been around a long time, so let's say folk-dubstep.

-Ryn

Banned
3RrBo4O.png

I hope Halo montages become a frequent thing once MCC is out. Seems only natural given how much easier it'll be.
Between theater in the later games and being able to record clips on the One I think it's safe to say montages will be coming in full force.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Good hit markers post, Barrow Roll.

Between theater in the later games and being able to record clips on the One I think it's safe to say montages will be coming in full force.
We just need to get someone to make the montages.

Karl2177

Oh. Hitmarkers... Barrow had a good post, and I'd like to make a couple of quick additions/suggestions to it. I'd be fine with a hit marker option for on/off. I also would drop hit markers from splash damage. You'd be able to see if a grenade throw hit someone, but not necessarily if it was beyond a certain radius(probably go with the shield strip radius). Same would be applied to rockets.

Sprint. Cut it entirely. Halo's combat isn't fast enough for sprint and it's that way by design. CE had high move speed, but it heavily revolves around controlling weapons and positions. It also doesn't help that a majority of CE maps are designed for a max of 4v4, but that's a bit of a digression. Henery had a good post a while back about sprint and how it is detrimental to use it in almost every situation. Someone had one about how a higher move speed is beneficial because you can't shoot while sprinting while you can with a higher move speed, resulting in more action. Everything that has been said about sprint has probably already been said and those that are to keep sprint either haven't seen the posts or they ignored them. Having said that, I still think that sprint can work in an Arena/sandbox shooter, but it just doesn't fit with Halo.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
you people who play with rumble turned off on your controller, you are bad stupid wrong people.

Picked up someone else's controller and played Team Slayer on un-shown H2Anni level and it took me a minute to realize what was wrong. AND IT IS SO WRONG

#teamrumble

You excited for the next Legend of Zelda?
I never played Turok. Heard it was terrible.

Seriously! It has to be drugs!
So hyped for the next LoZ, and even hyped for Hyrule Warriors. Turok was incredible and whoever said otherwise is a dingleberry.

lol
Probably a mix of Halo tracks spanning the franchise and stuff made in-house by HaloGAF's resident music production team.
McDonald is Jellycrackers right? Funny because before I started reading this thread about Rare, I clicked on the first link and started listening to Guardians. By the time I finished posting this, I was mostly through his next song, Ultimatum, feeling hyped about a Rare come back lmfao

Thank you Jellycrackers.

Oh. Hitmarkers... Barrow had a good post, and I'd like to make a couple of quick additions/suggestions to it. I'd be fine with a hit marker option for on/off. I also would drop hit markers from splash damage. You'd be able to see if a grenade throw hit someone, but not necessarily if it was beyond a certain radius(probably go with the shield strip radius). Same would be applied to rockets.

Sprint. Cut it entirely. Halo's combat isn't fast enough for sprint and it's that way by design. CE had high move speed, but it heavily revolves around controlling weapons and positions. It also doesn't help that a majority of CE maps are designed for a max of 4v4, but that's a bit of a digression. Henery had a good post a while back about sprint and how it is detrimental to use it in almost every situation. Someone had one about how a higher move speed is beneficial because you can't shoot while sprinting while you can with a higher move speed, resulting in more action. Everything that has been said about sprint has probably already been said and those that are to keep sprint either haven't seen the posts or they ignored them. Having said that, I still think that sprint can work in an Arena/sandbox shooter, but it just doesn't fit with Halo.

Rb7k0FK.png

you people who play with rumble turned off on your controller, you are bad stupid wrong people.

Picked up someone else's controller and played Team Slayer on un-shown H2Anni level and it took me a minute to realize what was wrong. AND IT IS SO WRONG

#teamrumble

Feels like you are not even playing at all.

#teamrumble

Yep. I notice right away when my battery is low and the rumble turns off. It's just not right.

Does Halo MCC use the impulse triggers? Or is that not possible because they're old games?

Also:

#teaminverted

(really appreciated that Destiny had it listed as Inverted and Not Inverted in the menus, implying Inverted is correct)

Welfare

#teamrumble
It takes me a bit to realize there is no rumble on the controller, and yeah, once I notice, I fix it ASAP.

jem0208

Yep. I notice right away when my battery is low and the rumble turns off. It's just not right.

Does Halo MCC use the impulse triggers? Or is that not possible because they're old games?

Also:

#teaminverted

(really appreciated that Destiny had it listed as Inverted and Not Inverted in the menus, implying Inverted is correct)

Inverted? Shudders

Completely wrong and weird ;)

What are impulse triggers?

Vibrating triggers on the X1 controllers.

Really cool in Forza, could be useful in Halo.

Fuchsdh

Inverted? Shudders

Completely wrong and weird ;)

I hate inverted too, but really it's just a matter of what you're used to. Where people lose me when they try and justify how it's better ("no, see, the player character's head is like a camera on a jib, see, and you tilt down to look up, right?")

jem0208

I hate inverted too, but really it's just a matter of what you're used to. Where people lose me when they try and justify how it's better ("no, see, the player character's head is like a camera on a jib, see, and you tilt down to look up, right?")

Yeah, I was only kidding with the whole "wrong" thing.

It doesn't really make any more sense though.

Obscured

#teamrumble

It takes me a bit to realize there is no rumble on the controller, and yeah, once I notice, I fix it ASAP.

Couple weeks back I had an odd issue where my XB1 controller stopped rumbling during a Titanfall game, it really did feel like I wasn't playing at all.

I've played halo both with and without and sometimes without gave me that one small edge, but I'm not good enough for that to really matter. With MCC I'll be rumbling I think.

I never understood how people play inverted

when they gave me that option back in 2001 coming out of cryosleep I'm like "uh why would I want the controls to be wrong >_>"

Omni

What are impulse triggers?
I actually found them to be disappointing. At least in Forza. Haven't played a shooter on the Xbone yet but so far? Meh.

Makes my fingers feel tingly
How do you atually play inverted? It's not like a flight simulator where up is down makes sense.
It's only the best way to play

I can adjust to regular after about an hour but it just feels so wrong. Strangely enough however, in games where you have the option I prefer default in vehicles (can't remember if Halo is like that though. Don't use vehicles in 4)

jem0208

I actually found them to be disappointing. At least in Forza. Haven't played a shooter on the Xbone yet but so far? Meh.

Makes my fingers feel tingly

Really? I've found it's excellent in Forza. Genuinely helps me drive better.

I feel like it could be put to use in an interesting way by transmitting more info to the player. Say for example a very short buzz when you pick up some ammo for your gun (shitty example but you get the idea)

It is better. "Default" controls don't make sense at all to me in my head, and I can't control the camera at all. To the point where if a game offers non-inverted only, it is actually unplayable to me. That's not me being an Inverted snob - that's just jokes, but for me, I HAVE to play the game inverted, only way that makes sense in my mind. Have been that way since day 0 (except on PC).

People's thoughts on DMR alongside the BR in 5? Is one rifle enough?
Hopefully you can't spawn with one, I felt it was one of the big problems in 4 (right up there with sprint). Camo + DMR = camping with a less powerful sniper.
It broke map movement IMO

antigoon

I have a feeling the DMR is going to be a powerful on-map pickup, while the scope-less BR will be the starting rifle.

I'd rather just have an all-purpose BR (or other weapon) but that doesn't seem like it's in the cards.

Hopefully we'll see a smaller weapon sandbox in Halo 5.

Cow

Is there enough time for them to implement more classic style medals into H2A? I can't stand Halo 4 medals, they are ridiculous.

I have a feeling the DMR is going to be a powerful on-map pickup, while the scope-less BR will be the starting rifle.

I'd rather just have an all-purpose BR (or other weapon) but that doesn't seem like it's in the cards.

I really hope I don't have to go through another Halo game with only BR spawns.

It's a shame that they include it. If anything the past two versions have shown it's not really suitable.
I don't really see a future for it in MP (customs and campaign yeah sure).

If it has to be in 5 then it should be a on map pick up, but limited to maps that would suit it.
I'd prefer to just have the BR for MP.

People's thoughts on DMR alongside the BR in 5? Is one rifle enough?
Hopefully you can't spawn with one, I felt it was one of the big problems in 4 (right up there with sprint). Camo + DMR = camping with a less powerful sniper.
It broke map movement IMO

Pretty much will be the standard gun again making the old ones not fun to play against a guy who is sniping you, RIP valhalla.

So hyped for the next LoZ, and even hyped for Hyrule Warriors. Turok was incredible and whoever said otherwise is a dingleberry.

lol

McDonald is Jellycrackers right? Funny because before I started reading this thread about Rare, I clicked on the first link and started listening to Guardians. By the time I finished posting this, I was mostly through his next song, Ultimatum, feeling hyped about a Rare come back lmfao

Thank you Jellycrackers.

Awww :) You're welcome. I try to deliver hype musically whenever possible.

That's me! I am actually just finishing up another heavily Halo 4/5 inspired theme I wrote that I will post within a week or so hopefully.

Computron

Whenever games do the cryosleep view inversion calibration thing, I always wiggle my analog stick up and down rapidly. (um, er, wait...)
No matter which way you push the stick, it will go in the direction of the indicator since this is how they test your preference (Although I don't recall if this is in for all the halo games, IIRC, Halo 2/3 does this) and the guy doing the calibration usually has some line where he's confused if the calibration is thrown off and needs to be done manually.

For MCC they should track what you do in the calibration for each campaign and if you confuse the calibration guy several games in a throw they could throw in an easter egg where they slap you upside the head and tell you to quit jacking off.
...er, I mean quit messing around.

Toshi, #BumperJumperMasterRace says hi.

Pretty much will be the standard gun again making the old ones not fun to play against a guy who is sniping you, RIP valhalla
I hope it takes a back seat to the BR
And when I was talking about broken map movement Valhalla/Ragnarok was the first map to come to mind. Good luck getting near top-mid against a half decent team with DMRs, at least with BRs in 3 they couldn't really hit you until around shotgun caves.

Computron

I hope it takes a back seat to the BR
And when I was talking about broken map movement Valhalla/Ragnarok was the first map to come to mind. Good luck getting near top-mid against a half decent team with DMRs, at least with BRs in 3 they couldn't really hit you until around shotgun caves.

Hamfisting Valhalla into 4 was bad.

But, we're all expecting Halo 5 to have some advanced movement options available to players off the spawn like COD:AW based off that CG trailer right?
The wider, less claustrophobic Midship remake we've seen makes more sense in that context. If that approach works for Halo 5, we can probably expect Valhalla 2015 to be similarly wider or more open.

-Ryn

Banned
Halo Reach had the best control scheme in the series. When all else fails though, bumper jumper is where it's at.
#ReconInHalo4

I recall reading an interesting article way back about how different people's minds work better with inverted and others non inverted. I can't play inverted though unless I'm flying. It's so weird.

Rumble is not an option. It's the only way to play.

lol
Can't wait to explore dat truly open world.
Art direction is gorgeous.
Blue tunic is amazing.
RIP Lobster shirt.

So HYPED!

Top Bottom