• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

BJ in Halo 2 is gonna be sweet.

x6csz0W.jpg

Awww :) You're welcome. I try to deliver hype musically whenever possible.

That's me! I am actually just finishing up another heavily Halo 4/5 inspired theme I wrote that I will post within a week or so hopefully.

Steven shits on everyone else in MusicHaloGAF, especially me. His stuff is top notch, production wise.

tbh, you indirectly got me into making halo tracks

Omni

Off topic. Finally upgrading my internet. Should be done within the next week. 10x the data for half the price I pay now... which is crazy. Doubt speeds will change but latency should be improved as I currently have wireless

Only downside is the woman with a thick accent screwed up my billing account and I've been stuck on the phone for an hour blaaaah

TCKaos

With the new Escalation preview it looks like the Didact is exactly the comic book villain he was characterized as in Halo 4.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
How do you atually play inverted? It's not like a flight simulator where up is down makes sense.

Imagine I am moving your actual head with a stick drilled into the back of your skull. What's, including gravity, the easiest way for me to make you look up?

El_Chino

Imagine I am moving your actual head with a stick drilled into the back of your skull. What's, including gravity, the easiest way for me to make you look up?
Frankie nailed it.

I've been playing FPSes (Halo included) inverted since 2001. Matter of fact, I play any type of shooter inverted lol.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
With the new Escalation preview it looks like the Didact is exactly the comic book villain he was characterized as in Halo 4.

The Didact is morally binary. A huge flaw in a human in 21st century western morality, but he's a 26th century alien awoken 100k years after his wife and civilization died, in part to give animals he despises, a shot at controlling the galaxy. And for context, a spider or whale - do they share western human values? And they're both from earth.

Madness

I wonder if 343 has any stats on just how many play inverted. I do remember how many freaked out because Walking Dead never had any inverted controls and they just couldn't play the game at all.

I wonder what they used to do back in the day as well.

Havoc2049

I hate inverted too, but really it's just a matter of what you're used to. Where people lose me when they try and justify how it's better ("no, see, the player character's head is like a camera on a jib, see, and you tilt down to look up, right?")

You tilt you head back to look up and you tilt you head forward to look down. I can't play a 3D game with 2D controls. Inverted all the way!

The Didact is morally binary. A huge flaw in a human in 21st century western morality, but he's a 26th century alien awoken 100k years after his wife and civilization died, in part to give animals he despises, a shot at controlling the galaxy. And for context, a spider or whale - do they share western human values? And they're both from earth.
Spiders and Whales also don't try to talk their enemies to death.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Both inverted and default make sense to me. I can get used to inverted pretty fast if I try.

Madness

My head tilts back and I look up with my eyes. My head tilts forward and I look down with my eyes. ;-p

True, but you're only cherry picking then to support inversion, because if there was a stick at the back of your head, you'd move the stick left to move your head right, so why not invert that axis as well?

Not saying that anything is wrong with it though. Each to his own. Especially in terms of controls.

TCKaos

My bad, it was posted on Reddit as new, but it's from #9 (Link)

I'm aware of the concept but I was more or less joking about how the Didact is suddenly there and starts belittling Blue Team immediately. I can't tell if it's being intentionally cheesy to play with the medium or if it's hilariously unintentionally cheesy.

I usually expect that stuff out of Spider-Man.

HTupolev

True, but you're only cherry picking then to support inversion, because if there was a stick at the back of your head, you'd move the stick left to move your head right, so why not invert that axis as well?

Not saying that anything is wrong with it though. Each to his own. Especially in terms of controls.
Yeah. "Inverted" vertical axis makes a lot of sense in a flight simulator if left-right controls can correspond to roll. In FPS games, where left-right is usually a "non-inverted" yaw, inversion causes the two axes to be handled in an inconsistent manner.

wwm0nkey

Change the writing a bit, make into a big CGI 45-60min special and release publicly. I don't want to tell 343 how to run shit but its kind of (it just flat out is) stupid that this story arc is being contained in this comic line.

Im sure they will have a means to explain this story outside the comics, it will just be really sad if they dont. I mean 6 new composers, Blue Team and Didact is alive? That shit is kind of important.

So the didact is Javik?

Dat perspective to impose a threat

Madness

Thought the same thing about Javik and how his views are so different from what people believed/thought now.

Isn't that a huge spoiler by the way? I mean thanks for ruining the surprise of the Didact return or fighting Chief.

Thought the same thing about Javik and how his views are so different from what people believed/thought now.

Isn't that a huge spoiler by the way? I mean thanks for ruining the surprise of the Didact return or fighting Chief.

I dont know, in the comics previews you could already see that reveal like 4 months ago. and the covers was already posted here.

Madness

I dont know, in the comics previews you could already see that reveal like 4 months ago. and the covers was already posted here.

But that's people actively seeking it out. Why are unreleased pages and pivotal parts of the storyline posted without any spoiler warnings?

It's one thing to post a random image where you criticize the art style out of context, another to post something like that no?

But that's people actively seeking it out. Why are unreleased pages and pivotal parts of the storyline posted without any spoiler warnings?

It's one thing to post a random image where you criticize the art style out of context, another to post something like that no?

Its an official dark horse preview so its their fault to allow those page to be published. Also CBR dont work under 343i rules and often do that to any mayor comic.

Madness

Its an official dark horse preview so its their fault to allow those page to be published. Also CBR dont work under 343i rules and often do that to any mayor comic.

You're still not understanding. I'm saying, why is the above images posted HERE without any spoiler tags? A simple, Escalation #9 (Spoilers) would have worked.

Havoc2049

Na, not cherry picking at all. If I have a magnum in my hand with a two handed grip pointed forward and I just move my eyes only and look up at a threat and pull the trigger, the bullet will still go in the direction the gun is pointed and I will miss my target. If there is a threat above me, I will have to tilt my torso back and look up and point the weapon in the direction of my advisory. The talented people at 343i do such a good job that I am no longer looking at a 2D monitor, but totally immersed in the 3D world they have created.
;-p

IHaveIce

Banned
Change the writing a bit, make into a big CGI 45-60min special and release publicly. I don't want to tell 343 how to run shit but its kind of (it just flat out is) stupid that this story arc is being contained in this comic line.

Im sure they will have a means to explain this story outside the comics, it will just be really sad if they dont. I mean 6 new composers, Blue Team and Didact is alive? That shit is kind of important.
Last time I said it was stupid I was jumped on.

Showing stuff like this in a comic is wrong if it won't ve shown anywhere else, these things are kund of gamechangers

-Ryn

Banned
...I'm not sure that spiders and whales are even capable of comprehending morality but I'm not an expert.

Is he this way becauase he's Forerunner or is it because he's insane?

The Forerunners didn't seem that immensely different from Humans in the Greg Bear novels. They could recognize the grey areas in their actions. The Didact himself was able to grasp the idea that he wasn't entirely right or justified. Unless I'm misunderstanding binary morality?

Last time I said it was stupid I was jumped on.

Showing stuff like this in a comic is wrong if it won't ve shown anywhere else, these things are kund of gamechangers
People jumped on you for thinking important plot details should be more accessible?

Wow I'm way behind in lore, that's some pretty big stuff for a comic.
It's already overpassed anything that happened in Traviss' trilogy.

Omni

I'm gonna have to buy and read these stupid comics, aren't I?

Blaaah. They're just so terrible. But if all this is happening in them then I feel like I have to

willow ve

Blaaah. They're just so terrible. But if all this is happening in them then I feel like I have to

Don't give in to the dark side!

Yeah - just do like the rest of us and give up on the overall story arc already. Just play the campaign once or twice for the achievements and have literally no idea what is actually going on in the universe. (Honestly I played through Halo 4 at least a dozen times and all I remember is
Cortana-boobs "dies" in the end.
)

Someone find a spoiler comic image that shows the Flood coming back in Halo 5 and I'll be happy.

maximrace

I second this, I'm a huge Halo lore freaked, read all the books couple of times. The story in Halo 4 just isn't good, to much focus on the books. Then revealing all those new stuff in a comic, just why? Why don't they turn it into a book or make nightfall around that. Nobody is going to get the story in 5

Well they're like $2 a pop or so, with the latest issues being $4, at least digital from dark horse, and issues 1-6 are $10 in a bundle. I haven't really been a big fan of the series so far, and I'm all into the Halo lore (previous Halo comic series have been much better). The artwork is worse than the writing in my opinion, but they're pretty cheap and really quick reads, so whatever. The latest issue confused the crap out of me, still don't really know what to think about it...

https://digital.darkhorse.com/profile/4862.halo-escalation-1-6-bundle/

Starkster

Neo Member
I honestly never had any trouble or issues following the lore in both the Original Trilogy and the Reclaimer trilogy. If anything, I actually like the lore in the Reclaimer Trilogy.

Everything during the original trilogy was "ooh, forerunners are spooky, possibly humans, blah blah blah". Hardly any kind of expansion on it, which left a lot of people trying to make up details to fill the void. Now we actually know everything that we need to, and people complain about it? Next thing to complain about will be the inclusion of markings on armour that look like faces..

-Ryn

Banned
Personally I'd just stick with reading summaries or wikis than spend money on the comics. If the art was good or the writing made up for it then maybe. If the art is crap though it kind of defeats the purpose of a comic and from what I've seen the writing doesn't justify a purchase either.

Instead why not buy some used games? Or cereal with a prize inside?

I honestly never had any trouble or issues following the lore in both the Original Trilogy and the Reclaimer trilogy. If anything, I actually like the lore in the Reclaimer Trilogy.

Everything during the original trilogy was "ooh, forerunners are spooky, possibly humans, blah blah blah". Hardly any kind of expansion on it, which left a lot of people trying to make up details to fill the void. Now we actually know everything that we need to, and people complain about it? Next thing to complain about will be the inclusion of markings on armour that look like faces..

I agree, from the first time through how much did CE really tell you about lore? The first in a trilogy/saga should raise questions and story avenues for the following games/media. I like all the media connecting lore wise and think it's now being handled the best it has been.

It totally sucked the terminals didn't make it in game for release.

Starkster

Neo Member
I agree, from the first time through how much did CE really tell you about lore? The first in a trilogy/saga should raise questions and story avenues for the following games/media. I like all the media connecting lore wise and think it's now being handled the best it has been.

CE was more or less a test I suppose, but still, if you're going to plant the seeds that far back, you should at least do it right. CEA re-corrected a lot of stuff and expanded more on something that was really bland story-wise. In doing all the connected lore, as you said, it's definitely better than it's ever been, possibly better than any other franchise out there.

Agreed on the terminals though. I love the idea of the terminals being videos such as logs and fly-on-the-wall scenes (instead of the Halo 3 variants which were mostly vertigo inducing hexagon travelling, and info which it only took until the Forerunner trilogy to explain). If they were ingame, it would have truly benefited the storyline even further, and wouldn't have left people scratching their heads at some of the finer points of the story.

-Ryn

Banned

The problem isn't so much that they expanded on it as it is HOW they expanded on it. In Halo 4 if you didn't read the EU novels or see all the terminals which contained important plot info, you were screwed. I read the books and I still had trouble at times.

A lot of people also liked the mysterious aspect the Forerunners used to have (myself included). There wasn't much besides the Forerunners being an ancient civilization that disappeared on the surface and that's all you really needed to know. But if you really looked you could find pieces of info that slowly unveiled a much larger story. The books tied into this as well without making it alienating to people who just wanted to play the game. It left a lot to the imagination while still providing enough to have an idea of what it was. It was interesting.

It's great that they are expanding the lore but how is Halo 4 the "best" it's ever been when it utterly failed to convey the expanded universe that's so important?

Top Bottom