• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

aj1467

From what I understand from Paul Russel's tweets from ages ago, CE was meant to be a one off and Bungie wanted to make a fantasy game next (which later got used as an inspiration for Destiny) but MS said "no! We want more halo!" And then, halo 2 was born. Lol

Starkster

Neo Member
The problem isn't so much that they expanded on it as it is HOW they expanded on it. In Halo 4 if you didn't read the EU novels or see all the terminals which contained important plot info, you were screwed. I read the books and I still had trouble at times.

A lot of people also liked the mysterious aspect the Forerunners used to have (myself included). There wasn't much besides the Forerunners being an ancient civilization that disappeared on the surface and that's all you really needed to know. But if you really looked you could find pieces of info that slowly unveiled a much larger story. The books tied into this as well without making it alienating to people who just wanted to play the game. It left a lot to the imagination while still providing enough to have an idea of what it was. It was interesting.

That seems to be the way that some media is going though. Look at stuff like the Marvel Cinematic Universe. They have comics that tie in, one-shots, even shows now. But if you miss out on one part, you're either going to get spoiled, or stay out of sync with everyone else. It's not so much an issue that you can go into it and leave completely confused, it's more of the issue that if you went into it, and came out of it wanting more and not finding it.

Honestly, the one thing that we really knew about the Forerunners that everyone always picked up on was that they were possibly human. Then the EU starts to get more stuff in, and people get annoyed because their theory wasn't correct. I read the FT, surprised about how rich in info it contained about the Forerunners, I was half expecting it to be just detailing their demise and anything they left behind, not life before the activation of the rings. People can play the game and run through it shooting things, they don't necessarily need to pay attention to the story. But a solid story both outside and in is what games nowadays need, and Halo 4 delivered for me.

-Ryn

Banned
From what I understand from Paul Russel's tweets from ages ago, CE was meant to be a one off and Bungie wanted to make a fantasy game next (which later got used as an inspiration for Destiny) but MS said "no! We want more halo!" And then, halo 2 was born. Lol
That kind of stuff is so crazy.
I can't even imagine what would've happened if there hadn't been another Halo. Would LIVE have been as successful or even possible? Where would Bungie be right now? Hell where would we be right now?

Then there's stuff like all the machinima that was created. What would've happened to Red vs Blue and Rooster Teeth? Or other community content and tournaments. So many things...

aj1467

I think that saying everyone is "screwed" for not reading the EU stuff before playing Halo 4 is a bit overstated.

I know plenty of people who didn't read anything before. They just played the game and watched the terminals and understood everything within the game just fine.

And it also got of few of them into the EU side of things, and now they enjoy the franchise as a whole even more then they did before.

I will say Re:Escalation, that I wish we got a mini series like the Spartan Ops cutscenes again, instead of a comic series. Or even something animated like Legends. All the stories in it feel like they need something bigger than what they're presented in (well aside from Issue 7, which was a one shot.)

Welfare

That kind of stuff is so crazy.
I can't even imagine what would've happened if there hadn't been another Halo. Would LIVE have been as successful or even possible? Where would Bungie be right now? Hell where would we be right now?

Then there's stuff like all the machinima that was created. What would've happened to Red vs Blue and Rooster Teeth? Or other community content and tournaments. So many things...

MS owned the Halo IP, so they would'be gotten a new developer to continue the franchise.

Halo 4 might have been that devs Halo 3 to compete head to head with CoD.

Live would not be as feature rich I think, as Halo 2 made MS redesign Live.

Bungie... unless they went to Sony, they would probably not be as known as they are now.

All hypothetical, but yeah, what a world that could have been.

-Ryn

Banned
That seems to be the way that some media is going though. Look at stuff like the Marvel Cinematic Universe. They have comics that tie in, one-shots, even shows now. But if you miss out on one part, you're either going to get spoiled, or stay out of sync with everyone else. It's not so much an issue that you can go into it and leave completely confused, it's more of the issue that if you went into it, and came out of it wanting more and not finding it.

Honestly, the one thing that we really knew about the Forerunners that everyone always picked up on was that they were possibly human. Then the EU starts to get more stuff in, and people get annoyed because their theory wasn't correct. I read the FT, surprised about how rich in info it contained about the Forerunners, I was half expecting it to be just detailing their demise and anything they left behind, not life before the activation of the rings. People can play the game and run through it shooting things, they don't necessarily need to pay attention to the story. But a solid story both outside and in is what games nowadays need, and Halo 4 delivered for me.
Just because that's the way media is going doesn't mean it's a good direction. Forcing players to go looking for important pieces of story only serves to alienate new players. If I buy the game I shouldn't need to buy and read x amount of EU to understand the universe I'm in. Things like the Didact and his motivation or even simple stuff like the events leading up to 4 were absent from the main story being told. You're supposed to weave exposition into the narrative. Not scatter integral parts of it around like the Easter bunny suddenly aspiring to be a writer.

There were other parts of the Forerunner history detailed throughout the games and books. Details of the Flood-Forerunner war or the shield worlds and their purpose. The terminals in Halo 3 were really cool. There was also hints of the Precursors and the origin of the flood and humanity. Now it's all space magic and destiny which isn't bad but it's lost a lot of what made the Forerunners interesting in my opinion. They can be interesting again but that's up to Halo 5.

People are gonna cry over their theories being wrong regardless of what you do. That's just an inherent part of any community. I agree that there should be more games with a solid story in game and even EU. If Halo 4 delivered on that for you that's great. However it is not a good example of making a story that is accessible.

Apologies if it seems like I'm jumping on you.
Don't want to come across that way.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Personally I'd just stick with reading summaries or wikis than spend money on the comics. If the art was good or the writing made up for it then maybe. If the art is crap though it kind of defeats the purpose of a comic and from what I've seen the writing doesn't justify a purchase either.

Instead why not buy some used games? Or cereal with a prize inside?

The art in the comics is so bad, it's good.

halodeathparty_zpsfe848230.png

welldonegrunts_zps9e5d19ec.png

welldoneunsc_zps217c6baa.png

I'd pay $4 a month just to eyeball new background art like the above. Obviously somebody's child is making a ton of money from this comic.

Karl2177

Every universe with expansions has the bolded problem though, and the issue is neither of the two that you even mentioned. The issue is going through the primary medium and not having the details needed to continue with the next chapter of the primary medium. My roommate is still confused about the events of Halo 4, and he's not going to read the books. He got Halo CE through Halo Reach without ever going into the EU. The best example I can give is how First Strike relates to Halo CE and Halo 2. It isn't needed to tell the story of Halo 2, but it exists if you want it. Halo 4 relied too heavily on both Karen Traviss and Greg Bear. Without the terminals or Silentium, Halo 4's enemies make no sense from the previous iteration.

As for the bottom, I wasn't nearly as disappointed about my theory being wrong, but moreso that Guilty Spark became less of an interesting character. He went from having the most unique perspective in the story(having seen the firing of the Halo rings, being the only character to see Forerunners) and basically just turned him into another robot going crazy. "You are Forerunner!" doesn't hold any meaning anymore. In his speech during AotCR, none of it means anything anymore.

Every universe with expansions has the bolded problem though, and the issue is neither of the two that you even mentioned. The issue is going through the primary medium and not having the details needed to continue with the next chapter of the primary medium. My roommate is still confused about the events of Halo 4, and he's not going to read the books. He got Halo CE through Halo Reach without ever going into the EU. The best example I can give is how First Strike relates to Halo CE and Halo 2. It isn't needed to tell the story of Halo 2, but it exists if you want it. Halo 4 relied too heavily on both Karen Traviss and Greg Bear. Without the terminals or Silentium, Halo 4's enemies make no sense from the previous iteration.

As for the bottom, I wasn't nearly as disappointed about my theory being wrong, but moreso that Guilty Spark became less of an interesting character. He went from having the most unique perspective in the story(having seen the firing of the Halo rings, being the only character to see Forerunners) and basically just turned him into another robot going crazy. "You are Forerunner!" doesn't hold any meaning anymore. In his speech during AotCR, none of it means anything anymore.

My Karl always makes great points.

Fuchsdh

Greg Bear did a fantastic job answering the fan questions about that cutscene in Silentium.

-Ryn

Banned
I think that saying everyone is "screwed" for not reading the EU stuff before playing Halo 4 is a bit overstated.

I know plenty of people who didn't read anything before. They just played the game and watched the terminals and understood everything within the game just fine.

And it also got of few of them into the EU side of things, and now they enjoy the franchise as a whole even more then they did before.

I will say Re:Escalation, that I wish we got a mini series like the Spartan Ops cutscenes again, instead of a comic series. Or even something animated like Legends. All the stories in it feel like they need something bigger than what they're presented in (well aside from Issue 7, which was a one shot.)
Maybe not screwed but my point is that it's a major issue.

The terminals are there sure but the problem is the info they contained really should've been part of the main story. Then there's the issue of not having LIVE or internet (the latter being less likely) which makes that content inaccessible in the game.

It really would've been cool to see the comic series as another Legends of CGI series aka Spartan ops.

MS owned the Halo IP, so they would'be gotten a new developer to continue the franchise.

Halo 4 might have been that devs Halo 3 to compete head to head with CoD.

Live would not be as feature rich I think, as Halo 2 made MS redesign Live.

Bungie... unless they went to Sony, they would probably not be as known as they are now.

All hypothetical, but yeah, what a world that could have been.
Halo 2 was really the turning point in the franchise in a lot of ways. After hearing all the interviews about how small the multiplayer team for it was in the first place it makes me wonder what would've happened with an entirely different developer. Then there is the story which was really fleshed out. There was just so much that went down.

Maybe Bungie would've made the long awaited sequel to Oni. Fame and fortune ahoy.

The art in the comics is so bad, it's good.

halodeathparty_zpsfe848230.png

welldonegrunts_zps9e5d19ec.png

welldoneunsc_zps217c6baa.png

I'd pay $4 a month just to eyeball new background art like the above. Obviously somebody's child is making a ton of money from this comic.
...okay that actually made me laugh. I want to see a spoof Halo comic now.

*edit*
Nice post Karl

Havok

This is an important facet of why I've become less invested in where the Halo fiction is heading. Sometimes people's desire for creators to fill in big gaps in the story ignores that the mystery is a huge part of what makes it so appealing in the first place. Once the story is actually explicitly told, I find that it becomes much more mundane and loses some of what was so interesting about it.

I think that applies to the Forerunner stuff as a whole for me personally. I loved the monolithic, implied-event style of handling the Forerunners in the original trilogy of games. It left a lot more to the imagination and you had to draw conclusions not from a lengthy account of their caste structure and dialogue from Important Characters Because This Is A Story, but from very vague tidbits (even like the Halo 3 terminals, which I think are a fantastic style of universe expansion) that gave you just the smallest glimpse into what might have happened. In the grand scheme of things, I think the devices they left behind are a much, much more impactful "character" than the race themselves. It's an excellent backdrop that works better when...well, when it's not in the foreground. It's funny, because that mysterious element still exists in the expanded universe...but in a hilarious twist, they just shifted it from the Forerunners to the Even Earlier Aliens. I can't wait for the next series of novels that explains the Precursors and their relationship to their predecessors, the Antecedents.

(also maybe don't hold off on explaining your antagonist's motivations until a book comes out six months after the game because that's actually required information if you want people to care thanks)

TheOddOne

This is an important facet of why I've become less invested in where the Halo fiction is heading. Sometimes people's desire for creators to fill in big gaps in the story ignores that the mystery is a huge part of what makes it so appealing in the first place. Once the story is actually explicitly told, I find that it becomes much more mundane and loses some of what was so interesting about it.

I think that applies to the Forerunner stuff as a whole for me personally. I loved the monolithic, implied-event style of handling the Forerunners in the original trilogy of games. It left a lot more to the imagination and you had to draw conclusions not from a lengthy account of their caste structure and dialogue from Important Characters Because This Is A Story, but from very vague tidbits (even like the Halo 3 terminals, which I think are a fantastic style of universe expansion) that gave you just the smallest glimpse into what might have happened. In the grand scheme of things, I think the devices they left behind are a much, much more impactful "character" than the race themselves. It's an excellent backdrop that works better when...well, when it's not in the foreground. It's funny, because that mysterious element still exists in the expanded universe...but in a hilarious twist, they just shifted it from the Forerunners to the Even Earlier Aliens. I can't wait for the next series of novels that explains the Precursors and their relationship to their predecessors, the Antecedents.

(also maybe don't hold off on explaining your antagonist's motivations until a book comes out six months after the game thanks)
Pretty much, the idea that it will never be fully directly explained is just fascinating and adds to the world building.

Now there is little real obscure mystery left, and makes the Halo canon and the supplements feel a bit empty.

Ramirez

My goodness. Reach was such a damn beautiful game. Possibly the greatest video game of all time. Possibly the greatest human achievement of all time. No I'm not kidding. I miss Reach.

This is what I'll be playing until destiny drops, I've just decided.

#GOAT

That montage was great, but let's not get crazy!

-Ryn

Banned
Pretty much, the idea that it will never be fully directly explained is just fascinating and adds to the world building.

Now there is little real obscure mystery left, and makes the Halo canon and the supplements feel a bit empty.
Weird how by explaining the universe it somehow feels more empty.

Halo lore should be treated like a Hithcock film or Twilight Zone episode; some things are best left to the imagination.
The same is true for making a great horror game.

My goodness. Reach was such a damn beautiful game. Possibly the greatest video game of all time. Possibly the greatest human achievement of all time. No I'm not kidding. I miss Reach.

This is what I'll be playing until destiny drops, I've just decided.

#GOAT
Is it better than the internet though?

Madness

Havok said it perfectly. That's what made the previous trilogy interesting to me too. The mystery of the forerunners, what are these buildings? What are these flying robots with lasers, what's the true purpose of the Rings. The small bits of info you got through terminals or from characters like Guilty Spark added a sense of wonder. Are humans really descended from Forerunners, is that why the prophets are scared etc.

Instead, they've completely taken it all away. Not even the scale is the same. Remember playing Halo 3 and when you went to Ark you see the Milky Way galaxy and they remark you're farther than humans or covenant ever went etc. And now, faction covenant and even humans traverse all over at will. The same thing happened to me with the Mass Effect universe. Completely took away the sense of mystery and wonder as to who the Protheans were, the reapers, the collectors, the keepers, or that the Terminus systems/Attican traverse was really on the outskirts of citadel space. Instead they felt they needed to go into detail over everything and it just killed it for me. I remember what I was thinking when I played through Ilos.

Feel the same way about the Halo story now. I don't mind this expanded stuff they're doing, unifying it all. It needs to explained properly in the next game. I shouldn't have to piece it together in bits and pieces or have to read the Halopedia to get caught up.

that's just shows how good the montage is, it makes you think Reach was a good Halo

It's a shame that Duncan has taken his talents to DestinyGAF and DBO. I wonder what he thinks of the MCC, maybe if he'll do some more montages etc.

Tawpgun

Yeah I was super into halo lore back in the day before they went bananas with it.

But I never thought humans were forerunners. Maybe related in some way, but not the same race. I thought "you are forerunner" refers to humans inheriting the mantle. Which by the way, has that been reconciled in the new universe?

I knew the librarian had a soft spot for humans but to all other forerunners they were enemies. How were they giving access to forerunner tech/inheriting the mantle? I never read Silentium.

Starkster

Neo Member
I wasn't nearly as disappointed about my theory being wrong, but moreso that Guilty Spark became less of an interesting character. He went from having the most unique perspective in the story(having seen the firing of the Halo rings, being the only character to see Forerunners) and basically just turned him into another robot going crazy. "You are Forerunner!" doesn't hold any meaning anymore. In his speech during AotCR, none of it means anything anymore.

In bold is exactly my point. The lore/theories behind it at the time was that Chief was some kind of reincarnated ancient human who were actually the Forerunners. While the theory now is similar, it's better that it was fully explained that he holds the geas of the Iso-Didact. Not to mention, no AI is safe from Rampancy. It's well explained that from the time that Chakas was turned into Spark it was obviously a matter of time before the actual event happened. You can't expect it not to happen. However, you do make good points. At some point maybe the format will change up. But I'm glad that we all have differing points, otherwise we all wouldn't be a part of this community.

People are gonna cry over their theories being wrong regardless of what you do. That's just an inherent part of any community. I agree that there should be more games with a solid story in game and even EU. If Halo 4 delivered on that for you that's great. However it is not a good example of making a story that is accessible.

Apologies if it seems like I'm jumping on you.
Don't want to come across that way.

I'm a lore freak when it comes to any kind of franchise I get into, so I suppose the views will be different from person to person, but there's no need to apologise lol, like I said above, if none of us had differing points we'd all be in one consensus, and that shit is creepy.

TheOddOne

I also like to note that I dislike the overt focus on the military complex issues. While it’s an important part of the canon, it feels like there is just too much focus put on it. Like in Halo 4, they found a leaving breathing Requiem, which was a variation of the Shield World, and everybody in the game just acts like it’s another day at the office. Which is weird, considering there is so much to explore subject wise on functioning of the Shield World, why and how it came to be and so on. And even if that is explained to some extent, you never really fully will understand certain mechanisms or thought process; eventually there is enough mystery. It feels like there is just more out there in the world to focus on then tired retreats of morality issues. Maybe there needs to be a better balance between those two subjects, military complex and the bigger universe, so there is enough that satisfies people who are interested in both.

Madness

Yeah I was super into halo lore back in the day before they went bananas with it.

But I never thought humans were forerunners. Maybe related in some way, but not the same race. I thought "you are forerunner" refers to humans inheriting the mantle. Which by the way, has that been reconciled in the new universe?

I knew the librarian had a soft spot for humans but to all other forerunners they were enemies. How were they giving access to forerunner tech/inheriting the mantle? I never read Silentium.

I always thought they were some long, 10 thousand generation+ descendants of the Forerunners. I never really read the lore that came after the Halo 3 game, but I just always assumed the flood eventually killed the Forerunners and after the betrayal of their AI, they just realized that their "creation"/descendants, humanity would one day rise to stop the flood and that's why they buried the ark, why their AI said you are forerunner etc.

The new storyline of ancient humans being ridiculously powerful but losing to their Forerunner enemies and then being devolved/divided just seems more convoluted.

Tawpgun

I always thought they were some long, 10 thousand generation+ descendants of the Forerunners. I never really read the lore that came after the Halo 3 game, but I just always assumed the flood eventually killed the Forerunners and after the betrayal of their AI, they just realized that their "creation"/descendants, humanity would one day rise to stop the flood and that's why they buried the ark, why their AI said you are forerunner etc.

The new storyline of ancient humans being ridiculously powerful but losing to their Forerunner enemies and then being devolved/divided just seems more convoluted.

Yap.

Also @oddone, them finding a shield world should have been more of a surprise. But I can understand sorta since humans were messing with and finding forerunner tech since the war.

The big wtf happened when they came across humanities greatest hero, thought to be dead or "Mia" and they act like it's no big deal. Lasky reunites with him and he's all like "hey sup bro what's good" and Palmer is just like "pfft he's a scrub"

Especially weird after the Halo 3 commercials where the veteran marines were reminiscing about how awesome the chief was.

aj1467

IIRC from the Paul Russel tweet session (again lol) humans and forerunners were meant to be the same species up until the development of Halo 3... wonder what made Bungie change their minds.

I feel like the odd one out that the forerunner trilogy actually made me more invested in the lore. It got me caring about halo again after Reach and its retcons, and I'm more invested now then I ever was during the original trilogy days.

Edit: those transcripts people found in the code for the original "chief meets lasky" cutscene was so much better then what we actually got :[ why did they cut it :/

TheOddOne

Yap.

Also @oddone, them finding a shield world should have been more of a surprise. But I can understand sorta since humans were messing with and finding forerunner tech since the war.

The big wtf happened when they came across humanities greatest hero, thought to be dead or "Mia" and they act like it's no big deal. Lasky reunites with him and he's all like "hey sup bro what's good" and Palmer is just like "pfft he's a scrub"

Especially weird after the Halo 3 commercials where the veteran marines were reminiscing about how awesome the chief was.
Yeah, still makes me go "Wtf" till this day. "Oh, there is Chief. Cool I guess!"

The thing is though, even with the basic knowledge they had about Shield World, Requiem was still kind of an anomaly. The whole scenario feels like a wasted opportunity to broaden the subject matter within games and to non-book/comic readers. It feels even worse when they just blew it up, which just adds insult to injury (Sorry, I gripe over this a lot, but you know, why).

HTupolev

In bold is exactly my point. The lore/theories behind it at the time was that Chief was some kind of reincarnated ancient human who were actually the Forerunners.
Sort of. There was hardly a "the theory," which is precisely the point.

Any explanation for it was going to have to be amazing to live up to it.

By the way, the bit about H=F was hardly just fan theory. Bungie wouldn't have dropped it as a reveal at the climactic moment of the trilogy if they hadn't intended it.

Blueblur1

Speaking of PAX, I can't make it this year [can't afford it :-( ] but I bought Friday, Sunday, and Monday passes. If anyone is interested please PM me. I want to sell them at cost.

I don't think I've ever heard of "Chief is actually an ancient human Forerunner" theories before Halo 4. Don't act like that shit's been around the entire time.

Speaking of PAX, I can't make it this year [can't afford it :-( ] but I bought Friday, Sunday, and Monday passes. If anyone is interested please PM me. I want to sell them at cost.

iXi4tAzhbdoB1.gif

TheXbox

The Didact is morally binary. A huge flaw in a human in 21st century western morality, but he's a 26th century alien awoken 100k years after his wife and civilization died, in part to give animals he despises, a shot at controlling the galaxy. And for context, a spider or whale - do they share western human values? And they're both from earth.
Why doesn't the Didact kill Master Chief when he meets him

Top Bottom