• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Chief being "the chosen one" was coincidental in the sense that the Librarian laid a framework that would eventually spawn an ace-in-the-hole that could start humanity's next step from an evolutionary standpoint, and that ace happened to be the Chief. When the Librarian taught Chief how to Armor Lock, one of the mutations apparently gave him an immunity to the Composer in the sense that it wouldn't outright digitize him - it still hurts, based on the cutscene.

He was just in the right place, in the right time.

Obscured

Pax will be fun.

I assume this is because we are going to get trolled hard on lore. Turns out all the previous Halo games were just a fever dream of Palmer's. What we see in four is a splintered recreation of her briefly meeting Master Chief. Locke was her boyfriend that was killed. Just a odst that got on the wrong dropship when Master Chief also jumped on board and didn't wear a seatbelt. One bumpy landing later on a simple training exercise and everybody but MC ended up dead, smashed into a fine paste. Everything thus far has been her mind trying to reconcile her sorrow during a drunken downward spiral.

As far as the Didact being so verbose and talking down to others makes sense, it is the literal definition of his name (I am using literal literally as the literal definition of literal).

The problem I had with the EU was not that it ruined the mystery of the forerunners (If a mystery is only good because it is unknown then it wasn't a very good mystery. The surprise and satisfaction of discovery need to be worthwhile), but because both the game and the EU elements were not enough to stand alone. The game didn't need to give us every detail, but some hints would have been good, especially about things that seems contrary to where 3 ended (Elites are our friends! Kill elites!). Also as far as the forerunner trilogy if anything it confused things because the the character we saw in the books was not what we saw in the game.

I also kind of hate that they drove the shield world into the sun. An ODST 2 where you would explore it further would have been cool. (I did really enjoy when they talked about the process of writing Spartan Ops though.)

One other thing is if cryptums are so readily available, why did a bunch of forerunners just jump into them? Nothing about them has been made to sound scarce or rare, The Didact seems to fall into one every couple of steps (exaggeration for effect).

/rambling ended

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Remember these assholes?

guardian_610death.jpg
They look like a bunch of a-holes.

Pax will be fun.
Helllll yes.
I always assumed that Guilty Spark was telling Chief that he had Forerunner DNA marking him as Reclaimer, not necessarily reincarnated or an actual Forerunner.
It depends on whose fiction you want to buy into, but there are strong indications that humans and forerunners were more closely linked, if not the same in Bungie's perspective, at least initially.
The room was there of course of the direction the Forerunners have gone since.

Fuchsdh

Do you guys think we'll have in-game ladders/divisions/leagues for Halo MCC?

With the incorporation of the esports channel in the Halo media channel, I would love for there to be a Starcraft II-style league/ladder system that tracks your progress and overall multiplayer career seasonally.

ToughLadder.jpg

Woah, that threw me. Starcraft II hasn't looked like that in quite some time.

I doubt we'll see that kind of full-breadth ranking system in MCC. Now, Halo 5--that's a question. I'd expect we'll see an evolution from the seasons we got with CSR into something more visible and mature.

Given that you operate in spreadsheets I have to imagine you mixed them up because you refer to levels by their devnames Bungie-style.

"Yeah, that monologue on dv_upperechelon was pretty poignant. I think it ended up getting called Ascendancy? Or maybe that was mc_catacombs."

Btw, fuchsdh, I think I have your name figured out. Is it pronounced "fews-dih?" "fews" as in fusilage, "dih" as in diction.

HTupolev

It depends on whose fiction you want to buy into, but there are strong indications that humans and forerunners were more closely linked, if not the same in Bungie's perspective, at least initially.
The room was there of course of the direction the Forerunners have gone since.
I'm really not seeing it. There are tons of hints dropped through the trilogy that H=F, and Bungie used the climactic moment of Halo 3 to finally confirm H=F. Mechanically speaking H!=F isn't that problematic, but narratively it doesn't mesh with Bungie's work. And that's the real issue for me; you can force the plot to be consistent, but in doing so you wind up damaging the story.

(And it's not much of a question whether Bungie intended H=F.)

Man I can't find my reach disc.
I've never understood how people lose discs for game consoles. Do you just leave them lying around outside their cases?

Maybe I have an easy time with it because my library is small. *shrug*

Fuchsdh

I'm really not seeing it. There are tons of hints dropped through the trilogy that H=F, and Bungie used the climactic moment of Halo 3 to finally confirm H=F. Mechanically speaking H!=F isn't that problematic, but narratively it doesn't mesh with Bungie's work. And that's the real issue for me; you can force the plot to be consistent, but in doing so you wind up damaging the story.

My question is why the Terminals and H3 ARG stuff strongly suggest humans != Forerunners, really. It's odd that media from the exact same game contradict each other.

Btw, fuchsdh, I think I have your name figured out. Is it pronounced "fews-dih?" "fews" as in fusilage, "dih" as in diction.

There is no way to pronounce it without it sounding stupid. I never actually considered saying it out loud.

I don't entirely disagree, but there was a whole, a gap if you will, that allowed the "not equals" to be slotted in, and yes, not always neatly.

It's one of my lesser issues really.

Homeboyd

I've never understood how people lose discs for game consoles. Do you just leave them lying around outside their cases?

Maybe I have an easy time with it because my library is small. *shrug*
Yes that's exactly what happened... Except I don't have the case either. So it's likely in its case... Somewhere. Plus I've moved twice and haven't played reach in a hot minute.

It's all good. Gunna speedy the shit outta like 4 copies here in a min. We good.

Yup you might want to avoid those escalation #9 previews than.. Oh wait someone already spoiled that here.

I'm pretty sure it was implied if not outright stated in Halo 4 that Installation 03 was next-to-decommissioned thanks to Ivanoff station. Without a Flood outbreak, all humans would have to worry about procuring the Index would be errant sentinels.

It also sprinted itself into the ground
Based Dopey
Tripping could be a way to balance sprint in Halo 5.
Don't pls. tripping is a cardinal sin
Still waiting for the DLC to go free so those who currently have it can actually play what they paid for.
Skeleton.png
New page new topic I'd say.

Descope in Halo 5 is more important than No Sprint in my opinion. What was the design purpose behind replacing it with flinch anyway?
Change for the sake of change
except when more is more

ibcj6qAijLN4E9.gif
Dat Holly Michaels.
People's thoughts on DMR alongside the BR in 5? Is one rifle enough?
Hopefully you can't spawn with one, I felt it was one of the big problems in 4 (right up there with sprint). Camo + DMR = camping with a less powerful sniper.
It broke map movement IMO
I'd rather have a single shot weapon over a burst fire.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm pretty sure it was implied if not outright stated in Halo 4 that Installation 03 was next-to-decommissioned thanks to Ivanoff station. Without a Flood outbreak, all humans would have to worry about procuring the Index would be errant sentinels.

Orly?

Btw, not MCC related:

Buildings are the new Water.

My god.

Engine.

Stinkles

Dont know if you can answer this, but does what you've seen in Halo 5: Guardians completely blow away the maps and visual fidelity we're seeing in Halo 2 Anniversary?

I think that the hybrid engine being used for H2A is doing amazing stuff visually. I mean, like, total next-gen amazingness, as well as an art style I'm really fond of in the way it spans and respects the whole Chief saga.

I also think the H3 engine is being given a new lease of life simply by giving it more "air" to show off how good that engine was, and how well it was used at the time. It's not just "uprezzed" it's markedly unshackled in terms of IQ. It's the same game, allowed to breathe. And of course, those improvements aren't just numbers, they're experiential too.

The Halo 4 stuff is fresher, and again, this process is kind of revealing just how good that late-stage tech and pixel-pushing had gotten. It's like, daaaaamn is this really from last gen?

But without going too far down a check-butt-cashing path, I am really enthralled by how much potential the Bone and next gen in general has.

Some of you guys might remember the launch period for last gen, where you were seeing some neat immediate benefits (SD to HD was the biggest jump, both in terms of processing horsepower and adoption of the screen tech into people's homes), but there was (even then) the diminishing returns conversation about Xbox OG to Xbox 360. But you all saw how the generation shook out, and how the combination of polys, shaders, scale and application of art took us to genuinely remarkable content and aesthetic improvements - everything from Forza to Uncharted - stuff we still marvel at, but now take for granted.

I think this generation is going to surprise people in terms of how much stuff developers will be able to put on screen, at what fidelity and more importantly, how that visual fidelity immerses you in the experiences. I think the cynicism about diminishing returns has already started to morph into excitement about experience.

And it's why I think that soon conversations are going to shift from the unhealthy and often pointless bickering about pixels (which is neither new nor surprising - this is a rinse repeat of every generation in terms of that schoolyard argument space) - , and back to the much more important conversation about art and how that art helps immerse us in those experiences.

Anyway, long story short, I was looking at stuff today that was like uncanny valley for surfaces and textures. I literally did a double take at a skyline. And it was a really spectacular combination of technology and art.

Anyway, long story short, I was looking at stuff today that was like uncanny valley for surfaces and textures. I literally did a double take at a skyline. And it was a really spectacular combination of technology and art.
My new tag covers Destiny and Halo 5.

I'm excited! =)

El_Chino

I think that the hybrid engine being used for H2A is doing amazing stuff visually. I mean, like, total next-gen amazingness, as well as an art style I'm really fond of in the way it spans and respects the whole Chief saga.

I also think the H3 engine is being given a new lease of life simply by giving it more "air" to show off how good that engine was, and how well it was used at the time. It's not just "uprezzed" it's markedly unshackled in terms of IQ. It's the same game, allowed to breathe. And of course, those improvements aren't just numbers, they're experiential too.

The Halo 4 stuff is fresher, and again, this process is kind of revealing just how good that late-stage tech and pixel-pushing had gotten. It's like, daaaaamn is this really from last gen?

But without going too far down a check-butt-cashing path, I am really enthralled by how much potential the Bone and next gen in general has.

Some of you guys might remember the launch period for last gen, where you were seeing some neat immediate benefits (SD to HD was the biggest jump, both in terms of processing horsepower and adoption of the screen tech into people's homes), but there was (even then) the diminishing returns conversation about Xbox OG to Xbox 360. But you all saw how the generation shook out, and how the combination of polys, shaders, scale and application of art took us to genuinely remarkable content and aesthetic improvements - everything from Forza to Uncharted - stuff we still marvel at, but now take for granted.

I think this generation is going to surprise people in terms of how much stuff developers will be able to put on screen, at what fidelity and more importantly, how that visual fidelity immerses you in the experiences. I think the cynicism about diminishing returns has already started to morph into excitement about experience.

And it's why I think that soon conversations are going to shift from the unhealthy and often pointless bickering about pixels (which is neither new nor surprising - this is a rinse repeat of every generation in terms of that schoolyard argument space) - , and back to the much more important conversation about art and how that art helps immerse us in those experiences.

Boom.

Vooduu

Really would be cool for expansive environments to become part of the campaign gameplay.

If anyone has any doubts on whether "upped resolution really brings out the game in the game" is just a PR spin:

Metroid Prime: Hunters (DS title) at native resolution, accordingly displayed as per your monitor's pixel density (looks roughly "twice" as large scaled up on a DS):

iVQJpse.jpg
aBFyV7Z.jpg
RXOE28R.jpg

Now with the actual resolution boosted to near-HD, instead of just upscaling:

jeE4nIX.png

vVYErZ7.png

Omni

Most single shot weapons are boring.

The DMR especially. Combination of what seems to be perfect accuracy, hitscan and single shot is just blaaah. It even sounds boring to fire

I miss the Needle Rifle. It was actually somewhat interesting

Mix

Frank is my favorite hype enabler. I cannot wait until Halo 5.

Stinkles

Sounds awesome, from the small snippets we have seen so far it's already really impressive.

Single shot or burst doesn't bother me that much, what does was spawning with a weapon that broke a lot of gameplay.

And some of our artists w were mortified that we wanted two such "rough" looking WIP.

Top Bottom