• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Random thoughts. Why did Bungie go from one-use equipment to infinite AA? Wasn't one of the biggest issues they had was people were overly cautious in using equipment since they only got one chance?

Then why not make AA's multiple use but limited, like every weapon since the H2 sword? Like you can only engage sprint superspeed two or three times, and after each use there's a significant cooldown. It would also then make more sense to put them on the map as a resource to be fought over, especially if players could drop them when they died.

Then you wouldn't have people camo sniping for entire games, or jetpacking into some obscure geometry, or using the regen whenever their shields go below 70% (me). Players would not be afraid of shooting their whole load before its time while hopefully not being able to exploit the abilities to an annoying degree.

Probably discussed years ago but I wonder what the justification was for going straight to infinite recharge was over just making it work like ammo.

Random thoughts. Why did Bungie go from one-use equipment to infinite AA? Wasn't one of the biggest issues they had was people were overly cautious in using equipment since they only got one chance?

Then why not make AA's multiple use but limited, like every weapon since the H2 sword? Like you can only engage sprint superspeed two or three times, and after each use there's a significant cooldown. It would also then make more sense to put them on the map as a resource to be fought over, especially if players could drop them when they died.

Then you wouldn't have people camo sniping for entire games, or jetpacking into some obscure geometry, or using the regen whenever their shields go below 70% (me). Players would not be afraid of shooting their whole load before its time while hopefully not being able to exploit the abilities to an annoying degree.

Probably discussed years ago but I wonder what the justification was for going straight to infinite recharge was over just making it work like ammo.

I think the mindset was probably something to the effect of not wanting to clutter the battlefield further by making them droppable "resources." As a result, you now have to make them unlimited or risk players "running out of fun."

Honestly, after we've seen so many variations of equipment and AAs not please the entire audience, I'd really rather they just consolidate the cool stuff into a bunch of different powerups that would spawn on the map. Single-use, less than a minute duration, higher-tier powerups (highest being OS / camo / boosts) lasting 40 seconds.

Brojito

Neo Member
Whats up HaloGAF! Hope this is the right form, copy-pasted it from somewhere else.

How long have you been a member of NeoGAF? How long have you lurked?

Today, actually. Lurked since sometime around last year, I believe.

How old are you? What country or state are you posting from?

21, currently in Texas.

How long have you been a Halo fan? Have you played all the games?

I started playing Halo back around when Halo 2 came out. Played every single game since, including Halo Wars.

What mode do you spend most of your time in?
(i.e. Multiplayer, Campaign, Forge, Firefight, Theater)

Multiplayer, although I've spent a good amount of time playing through campaigns.

What is your favorite playlist?
(i.e. MLG, Action Sack)

Team Objective, Doubles, Invasion, BTB

- Other Halo sites/forums you have been a member of.

Used to post occasionally on Waypoint, but got tired of dealing with all that.

- Any other games you spend a lot of time playing.

I love RPGs - still immersed in Skyrim at the moment, planning to do another playthrough of FNV after I'm finished. Also play quite a bit of Starcraft 2.

- Personal bio stuff. (occupation/hobbies/etc.)

Switched to PC gaming a while back, so far I haven't looked back (although MCC is convincing me to get an Xbone). I also love music (piano, orchestral, etc), I studied it in college. Marty's music was probably one of the biggest reasons as to why I love Halo so much.

Woorloog

Banned
Bungie did explain this actually. Or part of it perhaps:
They thought people hoarded equipment too much, saving it for the perfect moment, and often it went unused (presumably both in campaign and multiplayer).
Thus AAs, since they recharge, there is no problem with using one even in imperfect moment, and by giving them to people from start, everyone can always use the one they like.

Utterly insane, IMO. Equipment were like power weapons, you don't necessarily always use power weapons either, sometimes you hoard them to control them. Yet we didn't see Bungie giving us infinite power weapons.
343i did on the other hand...

Rev3rb

Whats up HaloGAF! Hope this is the right form, copy-pasted it from somewhere else.

21, currently in Texas.

I started playing Halo back around when Halo 2 came out. Played every single game since, including Halo Wars.

Multiplayer, although I've spent a good amount of time playing through campaigns.

(i.e. MLG, Action Sack)

I love RPGs - still immersed in Skyrim at the moment, planning to do another playthrough of FNV after I'm finished. Also play quite a bit of Starcraft 2.

Switched to PC gaming a while back, so far I haven't looked back (although MCC is convincing me to get an Xbone). I also love music (piano, orchestral, etc), I studied it in college. Marty's music was probably one of the biggest reasons as to why I love Halo so much.

Welcome! Where in Texas?

Homeboyd

Abilene. I'm actually originally from California, and planning to get back there eventually.
I would imagine so... Been to Abilene a few times. Would not recommend. Welcome though.

So, anything happen here in the last week? Non-book related...

Does anyone here still need to get the legendary coop achievement in Halo 4?

I've been meaning to finish it along with a couple of other trivial campaign achievements. Only got half way through. If not I'll just use an idle controller

If you wanted to try and go LASO I'd be down for it this week. Off work until Saturday (w00t!)

more doesn't always equal better though.

Although I would LOVE to see a Battlefield type spinoff set in the Halo universe.

THIS I would like. We've gotten plenty of the Navy and Oni, and a smidge of Marines (as cannon fodder) but I'd love me some focus on the Army and Air Force. I endorse this idea.

I.. I love you Frank -sniff-

Welcome to the forum, Brojito! I never did an intro, but at this point I wonder if I should be bothered :p Anyone really care about my background?

-Ryn

Banned
In all serious though, I'd give it a go. It would be interested. But they'd have to get rid of ordnance drops, severely limit how many power weapons go on the map, otherwise it'd just be a mess.
I like Halo because I can react to being attacked, if I die, the fight lasted long enough for me to have feedback on how to improve. If things turn into a COD/BF kind of thing where you take a few steps and die without knowing what happened... Yeah I wouldn't want that.
Yuuuup.
That's actually one of the reasons I don't enjoy games like CoD. Battlefield I can sort of get into but even then you still die pretty quickly and there's not much you can do to improve aside from not be seen.

Like you said power weapons would have to be limited (which I don't mind) and even if only a couple maps were designed around this game type (which there would need to be at least 1 of otherwise it wouldn't work) I think it would be really cool to see how Halo plays with it.

21, currently in Texas.

(i.e. MLG, Action Sack)

Welcome to HaloGaf bro!
Does anyone here still need to get the legendary coop achievement in Halo 4?

I've been meaning to finish it along with a couple of other trivial campaign achievements. Only got half way through. If not I'll just use an idle controller
I already have it but if you still want another player I'm down.
Anyone really care about my background?
I care

*edit*
Auto correct sucks

Mistel

Banned
We've gotten plenty of the Navy and Oni, and a smidge of Marines (as cannon fodder) but I'd love me some focus on the Army and Air Force. I endorse this idea.
Reach was the army. Whilst on the subject I hope they go back to this style for the armor:
Army_compilation_1.png

nillapuddin

So between job estimates today Ive been cruising the Halo Youtube channel

I think its pretty cool that they grabbed a bunch of awesome old videos from past games and made playlists for them "Halo 2 Memories, Halo 3 memories" etc, all of which are other peoples videos

But it got me thinking, like for those old Halo 2 commercials, yall think those source files exist somewhere in dark corners of the MS server-space?

I know it seems like a waste of someones time, and it doesn't really add any ($$) value to their channel as it stands, but I think it would be pretty sweet if they could dig up all those up and host them in source quality. Although I also see the merit of including videos from the community on their official page.
#boringestimatethoughts

Homeboyd

Oh that's right, I forgot! Still :p

Any reason it wouldn't be allowed? Is there some rule I missed? Genuinely curious.

I'll do my profile when I get home, then.
Please understand. This is 2014 and literally everything is offensive. Please understand.

And you have to PM a mod for a name change, though I'm not sure why you should.

Please understand. This is 2014 and literally everything is offensive. Please understand.

And you have to PM a mod for a name change, though I'm not sure why you should.

Gringo is Spanish for white guy. Connotation dictates whether it's derogatory or not. Until a mod or admin finds offense and asks me to change it, I won't be too concerned. I'm just curious if the other fellow believed gringo to be a curse or akin to the "n-word" (which it is not).

halo1marinearmorfullcircle.jpg

Look at these badass fuckers right here, they literally have metal plates strapped to them. You could drop these fuckers in against ANYTHING and they would come out in one piece. Xenomorphs, Warrior Bugs, Predators, Locust Horde, Geth, Covenant. THESE HEROES OF THE BATTLEFIELD DON'T GIVE A FUCK.

GOAT Marines.

Since it's overdue:

Joined on March 2014, lurker since maybe October 2013?

24, Albuquerque, NM

Halo fan since my best friend got an Xbox and Halo CE back in 2001

Multiplayer, but I do love playing campaigns for achievements/higher difficulties.

Team SWAT (my COD Hardcore substitute), Team Slayer (any kind), and BTB when I crave a more collaborative/crazy experience.

Other Halo sites/forums you have been a member of.
I was a Waypointer for a while, but the meta game aspects were a bit intense for me after a while. Bungie forums before that.

Any other games you spend a lot of time playing.
MGS series, COD when I am in the mood. Mostly FPS’ but I try to keep up with what’s popular among gamers.

Personal bio stuff. (occupation/hobbies/etc.)
In college, will have my first degree end of Fall (Strategic Communications), and my second degree hopefully end of next Spring (Professional Writing). Working part time as a floor associate at Hastings Entertainment. Used to play bass guitar, but less so these days.

Since it's overdue:

Joined on March 2014, lurker since maybe October 2013?

24, Albuquerque, NM

Halo fan since my best friend got an Xbox and Halo CE back in 2001

Multiplayer, but I do love playing campaigns for achievements/higher difficulties.

Team SWAT (my COD Hardcore substitute), Team Slayer (any kind), and BTB when I crave a more collaborative/crazy experience.

Other Halo sites/forums you have been a member of.
I was a Waypointer for a while, but the meta game aspects were a bit intense for me after a while. Bungie forums before that.

Any other games you spend a lot of time playing.
MGS series, COD when I am in the mood. Mostly FPS’ but I try to keep up with what’s popular among gamers.

Personal bio stuff. (occupation/hobbies/etc.)
In college, will have my first degree end of Fall (Strategic Communications), and my second degree hopefully end of next Spring (Professional Writing). Working part time as a floor associate at Hastings Entertainment. Used to play bass guitar, but less so these days.

Hmm... I'm in the 505 myself right now...

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
So between job estimates today Ive been cruising the Halo Youtube channel

I think its pretty cool that they grabbed a bunch of awesome old videos from past games and made playlists for them "Halo 2 Memories, Halo 3 memories" etc, all of which are other peoples videos

But it got me thinking, like for those old Halo 2 commercials, yall think those source files exist somewhere in dark corners of the MS server-space?

I know it seems like a waste of someones time, and it doesn't really add any ($$) value to their channel as it stands, but I think it would be pretty sweet if they could dig up all those up and host them in source quality. Although I also see the merit of including videos from the community on their official page.
#boringestimatethoughts

Those video playlists were to celebrate not only the games themselves but the community over the years. They were supposed to just be fan made videos but those old commercials give me goosebumps each time and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

It's a celebration!

rickjames-300x200.jpg

Brojito

Neo Member
Reach was the army. Whilst on the subject I hope they go back to this style for the armor:
Army_compilation_1.png

I'd be fine with them going back to the Reach style for everything, honestly. Say what you will about Reach, it's problems were not in the design department.

On the subject of bigger player counts in multiplayer, I'd rather they just save the Halo: Battlefield for a spinoff or something. I just don't think it would be a good idea for the multiplayer to try and fulfill both of those roles at the same time.

Random idea for the day...a new large scale mode COOP mode. Think firefight or SPOPS on steroids. If they could get 8, 12 or 16 coop up and running imagine taking on a huge semi-scripted Halo sandbox...

I'm also down for a new large scale multiplayer vs mode away from arena mode. I don't see the issue at all if arena is there at launch like it will be. I've been with BTB since Halo 2 and a little bit in LAN CE. There is room for the tanks and other large vehicles to expand player count or map size, there is also room for the plasma pistol starts in this sort of mode. The map size limits the plasma pistol due to range effectiveness against the big vehicle weapons, perhaps add some more speed to the vehicles and this still allows players on foot to fight back. Map design of these spaces is paramount to making things work.

There are also other options y'all aren't really adding to the discussion of this new mode e.g. troop carriers, multiple objectives based on squads, cloud AI (Titanfall) etc.

The only time I've ever really complained about BTB vehicles repeatedly is the Banshee on Paradiso in Reach or fairly rarely the Gauss hog on some maps in various game versions. They were stupid levels of ridiculous, Halo 4 by comparison with the current vote variants and a decent party size is quite enjoyable. We've had a number of close games for the last couple of months. There are plenty of games without plasma pistol starts and CTF is BTB etc.

Same Halo as always with some great settings and a worthy players/skills/party match-ups the game is damned fun to play competitively. I can see a large mode working well but there are serious speed bumps to iron out through design and testing.

Those video playlists were to celebrate not only the games themselves but the community over the years. They were supposed to just be fan made videos but those old commercials give me goosebumps each time and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

It's a celebration!

rickjames-300x200.jpg

agNsHfj.png

Ready mah friend

The UNSC air force was introduced in reach they flew pretty much everything like the Sabre's on long night of solace for example. Just in case your were curious about that too.

Forgot again. But other than Marines, no other branch got a lot of spotlight. Marines have been present since the beginning. If a Battlefield-styled spin off was made, I'd love to keep Spartans out of it and keep it to the grunts.

He, comparing 24 players to 64. IMO 24 players is not that much, the bet is also supposed to have reallyb big maps according to nkrntl.

12 players and bringing back the Fslcon would be awesome
I don't see a big deal with 24. So long as it works with the right map and gametype. Please bring back Invasion, 343. I need my baby.

What the hell have i missed? besides my love for you guys/gals.
Hey buddy

Booshka

Does Albuquerque still have a ton of Drunk Driving billboards all over? That's the main thing I remember about visiting there for a couple days.

Mistel

Banned
Forgot again. But other than Marines, no other branch got a lot of spotlight. Marines have been present since the beginning. If a Battlefield-styled spin off was made, I'd love to keep Spartans out of it and keep it to the grunts.
It has been pretty much marines throughout most of the series in the games. There's mention other branches being there in the books like the army in Palace hotel (well kinda they were dead at the time).

Shame they never did anything with the other Palmer though. She was at least less annoying.

It has been pretty much marines throughout most of the series in the games. There's mention other branches being there in the books like the army in Palace hotel (well kinda they were dead at the time).

Shame they never did anything with the other Palmer though. She was at least less annoying.

Kat? My friends dont like her because she wasnt pretty (lol)

Kat was awesome and the short hair was great

Intelligent enough to not fall into nerdie character, interesting backstory, strong enough to slap the player and tell him/her is not capable of decipher stuff like her and her sexuality is not pushed in any moment of the campaign but by her actions.

Top Bottom