• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

This silly stuff shows up when talking about Wii U games as well:

Every console's networking is the same. They both use world-standard, decades old UDP and TCP messaging.

Plus, I'm 95% sure all of Destiny's servers are run by Bungie. They've hosted the servers for every game they developed. Also protip: Sony's CDNs and MS's CDNs are often in the same colo facility.
All I know is my Xbox One will gladly use my full connection, or close too, and I can get 300 mbps out of it, and the Playstation 4 can't go over 20 mbps.

It makes me upset that I can download a full retail game on my Xbox One faster than I can download a small indie game on my Playstation 4.

Everything else is just a preference. I like the way the Party/Messaging system work on Xbox better, cleaner, faster, more convenient system.

HOW was Playstation better than Playstation 2?
Probably just nostalgia. I remember enjoying my Playstation more than my Playstation 2, although the Playstation 2 had my hooked on hours on GTA.

Playstation 3 was great in it's own merit, just had a lot of blatant flaws like, once again, a worse controller and network with ridiculous download sizes and not very many good games. The Last of Us pretty much redeemed the PS3 for me though.

Playstation 4 is amazing on it's own as well, incredible hardware and design, just with a few flaws like the obnoxious flashlight controller, with a cheap feeling and in my opinion, not any software that is worth spending $399 on. Infamous is great, but $399 is not worth 8 hours of fun. The Last of Us is amazing though, and if you haven't played it yet, it alone is worth spending $399 on.

If you've already played The Last of Us, I dunno then. 2013 was pretty laughable, 2014 is okay, and 2015 isn't looking much better. 2016 will probably be amazing though, thanks to NaughtyGods and whatever new games and IPs sprout out.

Weren't you like -1 years old when Playstation 1 came out?

-2 when the Playstation came out.
4 when the Playstation 2 came out.
10 when the Playstation 3 came out.
17 when the Playstation 4 came out.

I've been playing Video games since I was like... 3.

Haha... I was only 5 when Halo: Combat Evolved was out. Only 9 when Halo 2 came out.

This November is going to be fun, being able to play these games online when I actually have a better sense of playing then "push buttons, shoot things and move then sticks randomly."

FyreWulff

All I know is my Xbox One will gladly use my full connection, or close too, and I can get 300 mbps out of it, and the Playstation 4 can't go over 20 mbps.

It makes me upset that I can download a full retail game on my Xbox One faster than I can download a small indie game on my Playstation 4.

The PS4's wireless isn't great, but that's consistent across most Sony devices. I have my PS4 connected via LAN so I can download games within my lifetime. Games aren't allowed to use anywhere near 20MB/s on either platform, though. You're not allowed to go above a certain amount of bandwidth.

Around when Halo 3 came out, your game had to work on 256kbps up /256kbps down connections. It didn't go much higher after that.

The PS4's wireless isn't great, but that's consistent across most Sony devices. I have my PS4 connected via LAN so I can download games within my lifetime. Games aren't allowed to use anywhere near 20MB/s on either platform, though. You're not allowed to go above a certain amount of bandwidth.

Around when Halo 3 came out, your game had to work on 256kbps up /256kbps down connections. It didn't go much higher after that.

Stop trying to use intelligence in this conversation. It will get you nowhere.

"Well yeah, but it didn't feel the same. Ever since Halo 2, Xbox Live has always felt so much smoother. I mean it's just my opinion. Nostalgia and all, lol."

Striker

Yes, but that salt wasn't really a fault of "bad marketing" so much as the game design details being impossible to spin to HaloGAF. The alternative approach that could have prevented that salt would have been to say nothing about the game's featureset, and that likely would have blown up in their faces far worse than some HaloGAF pre-launch salt did.
It was related to poor communication; it was read in the Game Informer magazine/online that people saw Armor Abilities returning, as well as introducing new ones like Promethean Vision, Regen Field, and so on. And loadouts, instant respawn, and perks were also seen. All roughly five months or so before the game came out. I guess some were just giving them the benefit of the doubt because it was Halo - but I don't think they'll be given that same opportunity in Halo 5.

If there's no Halo console (special edition that comes with Xbone + TMCC) I will be very disappointed.
and probably buy an Xbone earlier, when Destiny releases.

If there's no Halo console (special edition that comes with Xbone + TMCC) I will be very disappointed.
and probably buy an Xbone earlier, when Destiny releases.

I really wish we just had confirmation so I could allocate my finances accordingly. That and a potential Smash Bros. Wii U bundle. As-is I haven't made the plunge into next-gen yet save for a decent new PC that I don't PC game on, but I want to start saving up so that when Black Friday rolls around, I can buy both consoles because I'll be stuck in Tech School from like late November to late January or early February. Worst-case scenario I'll just get deals on the vanilla consoles, but I was really hoping for a minor update to the SKU (bigger storage capacity, slimmer build, etc.) to coincide with the release of MCC. I've said it before, but I think it's more likely to release an MCC-themed console (or just a bundle), reveal XBO Slim Q2 2015, and then have an actual Halo 5-themed console Q4 2015.

Ghazi

I really wish we just had confirmation so I could allocate my finances accordingly. That and a potential Smash Bros. Wii U bundle. As-is I haven't made the plunge into next-gen yet save for a decent new PC that I don't PC game on, but I want to start saving up so that when Black Friday rolls around, I can buy both consoles because I'll be stuck in Tech School from like late November to late January or early February. Worst-case scenario I'll just get deals on the vanilla consoles, but I was really hoping for a minor update to the SKU (bigger storage capacity, slimmer build, etc.) to coincide with the release of MCC. I've said it before, but I think it's more likely to release an MCC-themed console (or just a bundle), reveal XBO Slim Q2 2015, and then have an actual Halo 5-themed console Q4 2015.
When Smash comes out, I'm planning on getting it for the 3DS, but I suppose I can afford a copy for Wii U to totally DESTROY you. Add me on Miiverse or whatever if you get one!

Wii U is sooo worth it. Buy a refurb on Nintendo's website for $200!

When Smash comes out, I'm planning on getting it for the 3DS, but I suppose I can afford a copy for Wii U to totally DESTROY you. Add me on Miiverse or whatever if you get one!

I could afford a Smash bundled Wii U though! Gotta get that GCN controller adapter.

Vico

Pretty sure there was a thread on GAF where someone found out the content is exclusive to Playstation for 12 months.

Yup', it was announced.
And it's actually short, since it was pretty much advertised as fully exclusive back then.

Mix

I've thought about jumping on a refurbished Wii U, but I still don't see the value in it, which is silly considering how much money I've dropped on PS4/Xbox One purchases so far this year...

Skele7on

Banned
-2 when the Playstation came out.
4 when the Playstation 2 came out.
10 when the Playstation 3 came out.
17 when the Playstation 4 came out.

I've been playing Video games since I was like... 3.

Haha... I was only 5 when Halo: Combat Evolved was out. Only 9 when Halo 2 came out.

This November is going to be fun, being able to play these games online when I actually have a better sense of playing then "push buttons, shoot things and move then sticks randomly."

Well I came for Halo and got this. I now feel sufficiently old I'm 26.

Fuchsdh

I've noticed that the 4 version of MK V looks off to me in its entirety.

I'd say the Mk V helmet in 4 is probably at or just above the CEA helmet in faithfulness to the original. The issue with the armor in Halo 4 though is the rest of it seems a little too small on your Spartan--almost like they scaled it to 0.8 of its intended size by accident or whatever. Might have just been trying to avoid making it look too bulky compared to the slimmer H4 designs.

Mk V in Reach was a major disappointment in all sorts of ways (the armor became more patchy to facilitate all the strap-on stuff in multiplayer, the helmet was butchered, et al.)

Halo 3's version wasn't great either insofar as being faithful, but it was still a decent design.

EDIT: And regards to the above conversation, do we actually know what the bandwidth caps are for the XB1?

Omni

I was gonna wait for a white Xboner or at least a Halo themed one... but eh

I'll probably just buy one with mah tax money soon. I saw a Kinect bundle with four games the other day and that was 50 dollars cheaper than the PS4 with two games

willow ve

It was related to poor communication; it was read in the Game Informer magazine/online that people saw Armor Abilities returning, as well as introducing new ones like Promethean Vision, Regen Field, and so on. And loadouts, instant respawn, and perks were also seen. All roughly five months or so before the game came out. I guess some were just giving them the benefit of the doubt because it was Halo - but I don't think they'll be given that same opportunity in Halo 5.

5 gets no free pass this time. I'm not going to preorder it because you really can't trust marketing.

If it's bad or too far off "feels like Halo" I'll stick with MCC and play Destiny, games with gold, and whatever comes next. Halo got me to buy a console and get Xbox live at one point. Now it's in a wait and see holding pattern. Sad to see the franchise slide this much.

5 gets no free pass this time. I'm not going to preorder it because you really can't trust marketing.

If it's bad or too far off "feels like Halo" I'll stick with MCC and play Destiny, games with gold, and whatever comes next. Halo got me to buy a console and get Xbox live at one point. Now it's in a wait and see holding pattern. Sad to see the franchise slide this much.

Couldn't you play the beta that comes out 11 months prior to release and make your preorder decision then? No need to trust marketing.

willow ve

Couldn't you play the beta that comes out 11 months prior to release and make your preorder decision then? No need to trust marketing.
Valid point, momentarily forgot about the beta. Wonder what sort of changes will be made post beta.

Still doubtful I'll preorder. Kinda burned out after Reach and 4. I'm much less confident this will be my go to franchise for this gen of console.

Wait a sec, so we get MCC on dedis & all that good stuff + multiple top tier movie legends + a new Halo coming next year with a beta long in advance + pro/industry quality hirings + shit like global champs + a guy like Phil Spencer in charge of xbox now + a great X1 controller - Kinect and you're still unhappy?

SMH, I don't fucking understand mate. I'm not trying to be a dick here but what is it you're looking for Halo to do for you this year or next year exactly?

Mumford

Hey guys! The MCC thread has devolved to resolution banter so I'm coming to HaloGAF instead. HaloGAF was the reason I actually joined NeoGAF in the first place, but I don't think I've ever actually posted here because I had unfortunately stopped playing Halo by the time I had my account verified.

That being said, I'm coming back for MCC, and I'm super excited about it! Hopefully I'll post here more often. I used to lurk Bungie.net all the time and I occasionally posted, much to how I do on GAF now, so hopefully I'll have some valuable stuff to say about the series.

Oh, and I'm "friends" with SpeedyBlueDude (who apparently might have weight here for some god awful reason). He might deny it though because he believes I have plebeian ideas, but he's delusional. He tells me about how he's better at Mario Kart 8 online than I am and that I'm a peasant even though I have 40 some odd wins against him and he has like 6 wins against me. Oh well. He's a good friend though. Somedays.

Myself and a lot more have speedy on ignore. You've just lowered expectations of yourself by announcing your his friend

Fuck a dual shock. Controller is way too small and symmetrical for my giant shovel hands.

Mumford

I can explain, I swear!
Just read on. I'm not crazy, you're the one who's crazy! (in an institution)

Myself and a lot more have speedy on ignore. You've just lowered expectations of yourself by announcing your his friend

Fuck a dual shock. Controller is way too small and symmetrical for my giant shovel hands. (Fucking lol, this is exactly what he would say.)
If people judge me for that, oh well. In all honesty he can be a good friend sometimes, but I don't share his ridiculous opinions. I own a PS4 and Wii U (don't even own a Bone yet, but I will for MCC) and I love gaming in general and I don't really feel inclined to remain "loyal" to any one company, so I guess I'm kind of the anti Speedy in some respects. I'd rather not talk about it too much bc I do like the guy when he's not being a troll, but I am not Speedy. If he's yang, then I'm yin I suppose. (Not really a good analogy, but oh well.)

Nebula

Wait a sec, so we get MCC on dedis & all that good stuff + multiple top tier movie legends + a new Halo coming next year with a beta long in advance + pro/industry quality hirings + shit like global champs + a guy like Phil Spencer in charge of xbox now + a great X1 controller - Kinect and you're still unhappy?

SMH, I don't fucking understand mate. I'm not trying to be a dick here but what is it you're looking for Halo to do for you this year or next year exactly?

We also got Reach and Halo 4 and you're expecting a guy who's unhappy with those products to be happy enough to pre order.

Dedis and 60fps are useless if the game itself blows.

Hey guys! The MCC thread has devolved to resolution banter so I'm coming to HaloGAF instead. HaloGAF was the reason I actually joined NeoGAF in the first place, but I don't think I've ever actually posted here because I had unfortunately stopped playing Halo by the time I had my account verified.

That being said, I'm coming back for MCC, and I'm super excited about it! Hopefully I'll post here more often. I used to lurk Bungie.net all the time and I occasionally posted, much to how I do on GAF now, so hopefully I'll have some valuable stuff to say about the series.

Oh, and I'm "friends" with SpeedyBlueDude (who apparently might have weight here for some god awful reason). He might deny it though because he believes I have plebeian ideas, but he's delusional. He tells me about how he's better at Mario Kart 8 online than I am and that I'm a peasant even though I have 40 some odd wins against him and he has like 6 wins against me. Oh well. He's a good friend though. Somedays.
What. I literally have no idea who you are.

Brojito

Neo Member
I'd actually forgotten how much I loved Invasion in Reach. It was basically all I played. The Needle rifle was actually superior to the DMR on smaller maps when they both had bloom, because you could get more shots off quickly before the reticule went to shit; it gave the elites at least some hope of not getting completely crushed.

I think the main reason I enjoyed Invasion really was because once you got a sniper as a Spartan the Elites were pretty easy to pop in the face, and you could power weapon hog on Boneyard so much that it was hard not to get at least a frenzy every game.

I have to say though that the tiers felt really good in Invasion and Boneyard and Spire had very different feels to them in terms of gameplay - which I see as a big achievement -and it was impressive that both respective defenders felt more powerful simply due to map design (high ground advantage, weapon spawns etc.) rather than the armour abilities they were wielding. Although having said that, armour lock/shotgun combo on Boneyard in the third tier was a pain in the balls.

As with most Halos though, I never got to play the DLC map(s?) for Invasion because they never seemed to be in rotation or the playlist was totally empty.

Hopefully dedicated servers will mean that we actually get to play DLC maps now, rather than having empty playlists for months and feeling like we all wasted our money.

tl:dr - Bring back Invasion, make DLC work properly (we got dedis now).

Sometimes I wish that Reach multiplayer was purely Invasion. It was probably one of the best things about Reach, but it always felt more like an experiment than a fully realized game mode.

I'd love to see it return, but I'd also love to see it be the main focus of a Halo game rather than just a tacked on mode.

Still, Invasion >>>>>>> Dominion/Domination/whatever the hell its called.

Fuck a dual shock. Controller is way too small and symmetrical for my giant shovel hands.

Don't be dinguses and shit on people for knowing existing gaffers. Hell, he shit on speedy in his first post here and called Speedy's reaction. That's good enough for me.

i4zCVDSP28HAj.gif

GoDs DeMoNaToR

Neo Member
Do you need all DLC? or just some?

Would love a dlc playlist with all smaller maps.

The Waypoint website says it includes Skyline, Monolith, Landfall, Landfall, Daybreak, Harvest, Vertigo, Vertigo, Pitfall, Pitfall, Pitfall.

However, I can't find anywhere if you need it all. I'd assume you do, though.

Sometimes I wish that Reach multiplayer was purely Invasion. It was probably one of the best things about Reach, but it always felt more like an experiment than a fully realized game mode.

I'd love to see it return, but I'd also love to see it be the main focus of a Halo game rather than just a tacked on mode.

Still, Invasion >>>>>>> Dominion/Domination/whatever the hell its called.

I needed more open routes and more logical points to attack/defend, killzones for the defendind team on the attacking spawn point and more vehicle warfare.

Boneyard invasion was nuts in the last phase anyway.

Top Bottom