• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Mistel

Banned
My bad for not being clear, but yeah, even though I thought the Army looked fine in Reach, I would've loved to see this done.
Me too Reach has a majority of my favorite aesthetics for armor other than the H3 Scout armor. I hope they do go back to that style.

HTupolev

I do like Chief's new look though, I feel like his armor is an appropriate evolution.
Yeah. It's nonsensical from the standpoint that it's supposed to be the suit he was wearing in Halo's 2 and 3. But, it's a fairly decent adaptation of the Halo 1 "jet fighter tank" thing into a modern visual style; I think it pulls off that look far better than the actual Mk V variants that exist in the newer games, as especially the helmet never seems to port very well. And this look is appropriate for what Halo 4 is trying to do.

Bungie's armor and character designs (Halo and Destiny) are unmatched. I'm not the biggest fan of how the S4s look. I do like Chief's new look though, I feel like his armor is an appropriate evolution.

Some of the updated UNSC weapons look a bit weird too.

I loved the designs in Reach, but Destiny's character designs and aesthetics honestly disappoint me. Most of them are so bad.

Guess that's why it's an Alpha, though.

I still don't even know why you bought the thing.

Because I love my hobby and wanted to partake in the launch and had high hopes that I'll eventually find games I'll enjoy on my new device?

and I have. I loved Infamous:Second Son and I'll love The Last of Us:Remastered.

Mistel

Banned
I think it pulls off that look far better than the actual Mk V variants that exist in the newer games, as especially the helmet never seems to port very well. And this look is appropriate for what Halo 4 is trying to do.
I've noticed that the 4 version of MK V looks off to me in its entirety.
Bungie's armor and character designs (Halo and Destiny) are unmatched. I'm not the biggest fan of how the S4s look. I do like Chief's new look though, I feel like his armor is an appropriate evolution.

Some of the updated UNSC weapons look a bit weird too.
The shotgun is arguably the weirdest of the updated weapons I wonder why it changed so much?

S4 armor does for the most part look rather terrible there's bits and pieces that don't but they're in the minority.

-Ryn

Banned
All this love for Invasion and art design in Reach sure is nice.

I really am excited to see what they've got going for Halo 5. If they went back to an art style reminiscent of Reach's (without the washed grossness) it would be brilliant. That game was beautifully designed in the art department.

Gonna be a great Christmas/New Years.

Then I would be able to play the full game without having to use a horrible controller.

I'd also be able to play on a network that isn't horribly slow.
Did you buy it just for the lulz or what? Controller gets pretty much universal praise.

*edit*
Because I love my hobby and wanted to partake in the launch and had high hopes that I'll eventually find games I'll enjoy on my new device?

and I have. I loved Infamous:Second Son and I'll love The Last of Us:Remastered.
Well that makes more sense.

I don't really consider TLoU a next gen game though.

All this love for Invasion and art design in Reach sure is nice.

I really am excited to see what they've got going for Halo 5. If they went back to an art style reminiscent of Reach's (without the washed grossness) it would be brilliant. That game was beautifully designed in the art department.

Gonna be a great Christmas/New Years.

Did you buy it just for the lulz or what? Controller gets pretty much universal praise.

Except for the shitty build quality

wwm0nkey

My sticks are still fine but yeah I feel bad for anyone that has the stick issue. Controller has been perfect for me and I HATED the PS3 pad.

I kind of prefer the PS4 pad to the Xbox One because of the Ones bumpers but they are both great sticks and both work fantastically in FPS games.

HTupolev

Such is the fate of some good controller designs, it seems.

360 controllers are another great example of that. They're excellent aside from the dpad, but making them work correctly often requires taking them apart and hacking away at the faceplate thanks to the stick hubs being made too small. Though maybe a lot of people didn't notice as much because the issues just subtly mess with you during gameplay, whereas the DS4 issue is that the surface of the sticks is literally falling apart.

Is it flimsy or something? Haven't heard much on that.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=711160

-Ryn

Banned
Such is the fate of many good controller designs, it seems.

360 controllers are another great example of that. They're excellent aside from the dpad, but making them work correctly often requires taking them apart and hacking away at the faceplate thanks to the stick hubs being made too small. Though maybe a lot of people didn't notice as much because the issues just subtly mess with you during gameplay, whereas the DS4 issue is that the surface of the sticks is literally falling apart.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=711160
feels like a toy and the sticks feels like you would break them but hell the controller endured more falls than my 360 controller
Well that bites.
Didn't even know that was a thing.

I'd imagine that was just a problem at launch right? Or is it a persisting issue?

Fracas

#fuckonami
^I'm like 99% sure it was just a launch issue and controllers manufactured since like Dec-Jan have no issues.

Stick placement doesn't make it a valid submission for greatest controller.

It is known.

Have you used it? I thought I'd hate it before (in stark contrast, I feel the Dualshock 3 is one of the worst controllers ever made), but the symmetrical layout isn't an issue. There's a lot of space between the sticks and the handles are longer. It's a really comfortable controller.

Have you used it? I thought I'd hate it before (in stark contrast, I feel the Dualshock 3 is one of the worst controllers ever made), but the symmetrical layout isn't an issue. There's a lot of space between the sticks and the handles are longer. It's a really comfortable controller.
Yeah I actually got some good hands on time with it recently. It's a solid controller, still don't like the stick placement though. Thumbs going down and towards each other is just not comfortable to me.

Obviously it's a massive improvement over the DS3, which I think is hands down the worst controller ever. I mean like holy shit it's bad!

Fracas

#fuckonami
Yeah I actually got some good hands on time with it recently. It's a solid controller, still don't like the stick placement though. Thumbs going down and towards each other is just not comfortable to me.

Obviously it's a massive improvement over the DS3, which I think is hands down the worst controller ever. I mean like holy shit it's bad!

Ah okay. And yeah the DS3 is horrible. No idea how Sony got by with that design for 3 generations

Ghazi

Then I would be able to play the full game without having to use a horrible controller.

TBxtwye.png

I'll stop now.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I dunno then. I've got 3 launch controller with no issues. Definitely sucks for those with defective units though. From what people have posted on GAF Sony customer service has been iffy with them too.

-Ryn

Banned
Frankie did bot speak enough with the Giant Bomb guys. Maybe the Spence has him on a tight leash.
Makes sense. I'd imagine they really want to blow our minds with Halo 5 (as I'm sure we all do). I love a bit of info to ride me over but I don't want to to be spoiled. Though Halo 4 had BAAAAD marketing and communication.

HTupolev

Makes sense. I'd imagine they really want to blow our minds with Halo 5 (as I'm sure we all do). I love a bit of info to ride me over but I don't want to to be spoiled. Though Halo 4 had BAAAAD marketing and communication.
Halo 4's marketing was fantastic for getting people to buy the game. BR.gif had HaloGAF in a frenzy. Biggest initial Halo sales ever.

Their messaging didn't start to feel painful until after everyone already had the game, and it really became disgusting with Fourteen Day Buy and Play.

-Ryn

Banned
Halo 4's marketing was fantastic for getting people to buy the game. BR.gif had HaloGAF in a frenzy. Biggest initial Halo sales ever.

Their messaging didn't start to feel painful until after everyone already had the game, and it really became disgusting with Fourteen Day Buy and Play.
I just remember there being so much SALT pre launch. Specifically around the time we got footage of that CTF game on Exile. Though there was plenty of hype to I guess. I certainly was.

OT8: A Salt on the Control Room
Lived up to its name

nillapuddin

Those video playlists were to celebrate not only the games themselves but the community over the years. They were supposed to just be fan made videos but those old commercials give me goosebumps each time and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

It's a celebration!

rickjames-300x200.jpg

those are exactly what inspired my inquiry, some of them seem to be pretty great quality for as old as they are, but some are clearly rips of rips of rips.

Still, had a great time today reliving some of those moments, Bungie was also always pretty great about keeping their public video channels populated, Halo fans are blessed to A. Have so much content and B. that it is so available to all fans

Nirvana

I'd actually forgotten how much I loved Invasion in Reach. It was basically all I played. The Needle rifle was actually superior to the DMR on smaller maps when they both had bloom, because you could get more shots off quickly before the reticule went to shit; it gave the elites at least some hope of not getting completely crushed.

I think the main reason I enjoyed Invasion really was because once you got a sniper as a Spartan the Elites were pretty easy to pop in the face, and you could power weapon hog on Boneyard so much that it was hard not to get at least a frenzy every game.

I have to say though that the tiers felt really good in Invasion and Boneyard and Spire had very different feels to them in terms of gameplay - which I see as a big achievement -and it was impressive that both respective defenders felt more powerful simply due to map design (high ground advantage, weapon spawns etc.) rather than the armour abilities they were wielding. Although having said that, armour lock/shotgun combo on Boneyard in the third tier was a pain in the balls.

As with most Halos though, I never got to play the DLC map(s?) for Invasion because they never seemed to be in rotation or the playlist was totally empty.

Hopefully dedicated servers will mean that we actually get to play DLC maps now, rather than having empty playlists for months and feeling like we all wasted our money.

tl:dr - Bring back Invasion, make DLC work properly (we got dedis now).

HTupolev

I just remember there being so much SALT pre launch. Specifically around the time we got footage of that CTF game on Exile. Though there was plenty of hype to I guess. I certainly was.

OT8: A Salt on the Control Room
Lived up to its name
Yes, but that salt wasn't really a fault of "bad marketing" so much as the game design details being impossible to spin to HaloGAF. The alternative approach that could have prevented that salt would have been to say nothing about the game's featureset, and that likely would have blown up in their faces far worse than some HaloGAF pre-launch salt did.

Mistel

Banned
The Needle rifle was actually superior to the DMR on smaller maps when they both had bloom, because you could get more shots off quickly before the reticule went to shit.
You didn't just aim for the body as it was automatic firing? If I couldn't get a head shot that's what I did.

Nirvana

You didn't just aim for the body as it was automatic firing? If I couldn't get a head shot that's what I did.

I said 'smaller' maps, but I actually meant medium maps. Small and large maps the DMR was probably better, but the NR required a bit less accuracy and fired faster, so for medium battles it ruled the roost.

-Ryn

Banned
Yes, but that salt wasn't really a fault of "bad marketing" so much as the game design details being impossible to spin to HaloGAF. The alternative approach that could have prevented that salt would have been to say nothing about the game's featureset, and that likely would have blown up in their faces far worse than some HaloGAF pre-launch salt did.
Most of the problems did seem to happen post launch yeah. A good amount of salt pre launch seemed to come from lack of info that when answered didn't bode well.

I wonder how it will go this time around...

Mistel

Banned
I said 'smaller' maps, but I actually meant medium maps. Small and large maps the DMR was probably better, but the NR required a bit less accuracy and fired faster, so for medium battles it ruled the roost.
I pretty much always had one with me regardless of gametype as a secondary if no power weapons were about. Most of the time I would be the sole user in btb games.

FyreWulff

This silly stuff shows up when talking about Wii U games as well:

Every console's networking is the same. They both use world-standard, decades old UDP and TCP messaging.

Plus, I'm 95% sure all of Destiny's servers are run by Bungie. They've hosted the servers for every game they developed. Also protip: Sony's CDNs and MS's CDNs are often in the same colo facility.

Top Bottom