• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Mumford

What. I literally have no idea who you are.

What is this then http://gyazo.com/7679dbda5b05d7c8172721da44a6aeec

Don't be dinguses and shit on people for knowing existing gaffers. Hell, he shit on speedy in his first post here and called Speedy's reaction. That's good enough for me.

i4zCVDSP28HAj.gif
100/10

Homeboyd

Wait a sec, so we get MCC on dedis & all that good stuff + multiple top tier movie legends + a new Halo coming next year with a beta long in advance + pro/industry quality hirings + shit like global champs + a guy like Phil Spencer in charge of xbox now + a great X1 controller - Kinect and you're still unhappy?

SMH, I don't fucking understand mate. I'm not trying to be a dick here but what is it you're looking for Halo to do for you this year or next year exactly?
Clearly he's just talking about 5 and how the game will play. Most of that stuff you listed isn't relevant to his point about 5. He acknowledged the beta was a point he missed and will make or break his (and probably most people's) decision on whether to pre-order/buy H5.

Some shit you and your boy should probably talke to PM's bc we just simply don't care.

Nebula

Speaking of Halo...

Some guys at work were talking about it today and were on about how they disliked AAs in Reach and hoped they did something new in 5. One went on to shit on Halo 4 but then they both went on about the MCC and Halo 5. People are talking outside of forums. 343 did something right.

Slackers should be working, not talking!

Invasion was easily my favourite playlist in reach.

The only way I could see it coming back would be for halo 5 forge to include an actual map editor. Some incredibly talented map makers in the halo community and that's just using the very basic and redundant forge mode.

Imagine what they could do with an actual map editor. Invasion could become it's own self supporting playlist. All 343 would have to do is design the gametype and playlist, proof test the highest rated maps or whatever and boom we have invasion.

Pls 343

Speaking of Halo...

Some guys at work were talking about it today and were on about how they disliked AAs in Reach and hoped they did something new in 5. One went on to shit on Halo 4 but then they both went on about the MCC and Halo 5. People are talking outside of forums. 343 did something right.

Slackers should be working, not talking!

Halo 4 pretty much lose the interest of Mexican communities around here, some are happy for the MC collection rather than Halo 5, who they still dont have any clear idea about Halo lore at this point. 343i should do a miniseries featuring the Halo 4 terminals or Halo legends 2 about the forerunners.

I am not talking about the new series that will confused MORE the storyline for the ones who doesnt know the novels or stuff outside the game

The only way I could see it coming back would be for halo 5 forge to include an actual map editor. Some incredibly talented map makers in the halo community and that's just using the very basic and redundant forge mode.

Imagine what they could do with an actual map editor. Invasion could become it's own self supporting playlist. All 343 would have to do is design the gametype and playlist, proof test the highest rated maps or whatever and boom we have invasion.

Pls 343

Would dominion assets can be fit for dominion? The shield doors, the shield cover ups and the turrets being enabled while you are defending could be great.

Mumford

Pls 343
The sky would be the limit if there was a map editior in Halo 5, but iirc someone at 343i said there would be forge in the H5 beta, so I think they're still going to go with forge rather than a map editor. That being said though, Invasion was awesome, and I'd love to see it return in 5. Halo 4 made me really sad with some of the gametypes that they removed.

Reposting the survey. It'll be up in the OP now, too.

--

How long have you been a member of NeoGAF? How long have you lurked?

How old are you? What country or state are you posting from?

How long have you been a Halo fan? Have you played all the games?

What mode do you spend most of your time in?
(i.e. Multiplayer, Campaign, Forge, Firefight, Theater)

What is your favorite playlist?
(i.e. MLG, Action Sack)

- Other Halo sites/forums you have been a member of.

- Any other games you spend a lot of time playing.

- Personal bio stuff. (occupation/hobbies/etc.)

jem0208

Reposting the survey. It'll be up in the OP now, too.

I don't think I have ever done this. Only been posting for a few days so I might as well:

11 months a member, 12 a lurker.

18 from the sheep shagging hills of Wales.

since 2002 when I got CE on PC. Played every single one to completion multiple times and played the multiplayer of 3, Reach and 4 extensively. Played a bit of 2's multiplayer but I was too young to be any good at it.

Never actually played Halo Wars, hoping it'll pop up on GWG sometime soon.

Campaign tied with Multiplayer.

Played a tonne of custom games on 3, mostly infection.

(i.e. MLG, Action Sack)

Probably BTB CTF. I do enjoy SWAT as well.

Bungie.net before it got shitted up by the Destiny update. Mostly posted in the Flood forums though. Also occasionally post on /r/Halo.

Not really, I play a tonne of other games but it tends to vary quite a lot. Halo is the only game I come back to regularly.

Student, enjoy physics and maths. Love mountain biking and squash. Far too lazy for my own good.

Sup HaloGAF.

antigoon

I did this like 10 pages back but this one has more questions so here we go.

A few years, I think. I mainly joined to discuss Weekend Confirmed episodes.

25, New York

Since my friend got Halo CE on his Xbox. I've played all but Halo Wars.

Multiplayer, by far. Although I feel like I've played through the CE campaign at least 10-15 times.

(i.e. MLG, Action Sack)

In Halo 2, the game I played most, my favorite modes were team doubles and MLG objective. Loved 2v2 slayer in CE on the rare opportunity that I got to play it. I like anything with a BR/Pistol start, ideally without radar.

None.

Starcraft 2, but more recently, Dota 2. I'm really pretty bad (sub 3k MMR) but it scratches that competitive itch that I've been missing since Halo 2 went offline / I went off to college. I got Halo 3 upon release, but I had no idea how to get around my university's firewall to get on Xbox Live until a few years later, so I missed a lot.

I'm an almost-lawyer. I take the bar exam in July, after which I'll be buying an Xbox One (yes, just for the MCC...and Destiny, I suppose).

Mistel

Banned
If everyone starts with all of them all the time, then they are significantly different from AAs already.
I suppose so. I wonder how they will manage them a shared cool down so you can't chain abilities together maybe?
All that invasion talk makes me wanna play reach. Would any invasion fans be down with getting a halogaf party together some night?
I don't mind playing invasion with everyone.

jem0208

I hope Halo 5's abilities are "Strafe!" and "Lowered Aim Assists for Everyone!"

Those are pretty much the only abilities I can see benefiting Halo.

I dunno... This has been talked about a lot before but I think default thruster packs could greatly spice up the gameplay whilst still keeping it distinctly "Halo"

BigShow36

I dunno... This has been talked about a lot before but I think default thruster packs could greatly spice up the gameplay whilst still keeping it distinctly "Halo"

It's completely unnecessary. Lets get Halo back to basics and focus on nailing what really matters; the core elements. Movement and especially strafing has gotten worse and worse. Fix that before we start talking about the necessity of variable movement elements to "spice up" gameplay.

You want to make it skillful again to land shots? Increase the strafe and decrease aim assists, don't convolute the sandbox with "abilities."

Sai-kun

Banned
Wait a sec, so we get MCC on dedis & all that good stuff + multiple top tier movie legends + a new Halo coming next year with a beta long in advance + pro/industry quality hirings + shit like global champs + a guy like Phil Spencer in charge of xbox now + a great X1 controller - Kinect and you're still unhappy?

SMH, I don't fucking understand mate. I'm not trying to be a dick here but what is it you're looking for Halo to do for you this year or next year exactly?

Uhhhh, a be a good game?

Lmao if you think that 343 putting out the MCC is somehow a sign that H5 will definitely be a good game.

willow ve

It's completely unnecessary. Lets get Halo back to basics and focus on nailing what really matters; the core elements. Movement and especially strafing has gotten worse and worse. Fix that before we start talking about the necessity of variable movement elements to "spice up" gameplay.

You want to make it skillful again to land shots? Increase the strafe and decrease aim assists, don't convolute the sandbox with "abilities."
This. Back to basics. Skill and balance in the game. Remove gimmicks.

Mistel

Banned
Add gt: oi mack io
I'm down for invasion whenever, hopefully we can get a full team or better yet a full party for invasion.
We're all voting boneyard right
If I'm on you can just message me when ever you want to play and I'll join in. I don't even know the invasion maps other than Boneyard and Spire.
I wonder if all of the abilities will be ready in the beta?
I would assume they would be all in there so people can get a feel of them. But myself I would rather they went back to basics and improved from there instead.

I'm totally indifferent to Halo 5 but at least I get good Halo for one last year.

but Halo 4 is included in the package.

Honestly... does anyone even care about Halo 4 inclusion in Master Chief Collection? Literally no one is excited or even remotely cares about it.

I see tons of people chatting about Halo CE, and finally being able to play it online on Xbox Live, I see tons of people excited about Halo 2:Anniversary, and I even see excitement for Halo 3 online again.

But then Halo 4's inclusion is just like... no one cares.

Mix

the last several posts from Elzar have been amazing.
Halo is back

EDIT: Anyone wanna play some Halo Reach for a while? I don't have my copies of halo 3/4/anni/ whatever with me, only reach.
GT: MIXMASTERCHlEF

FyreWulff

Honestly... does anyone even care about Halo 4 inclusion in Master Chief Collection? Literally no one is excited or even remotely cares about it.

I see tons of people chatting about Halo CE, and finally being able to play it online on Xbox Live, I see tons of people excited about Halo 2:Anniversary, and I even see excitement for Halo 3 online again.

Everyone that wants to play Halo 4 is playing it now, basically.

Unless they announce the ability to write and deploy your own Megalo scripts for the One version, there's nothing really exciting about it. Especially if you just bought the GOTY version, now all your armor and ranks and commendations are gone. Sounds like a lot of fun to grind through unlocking all of your stuff again?

jem0208

I care. Playing 4 in 1080p at 60fps is going to be awesome.

I honestly feel like one of the only people who genuinely enjoyed Halo 4.

I disagree.

Innovation is necessary to keep the game fresh IMO. Halo is great, but we've had 13 years of solid gameplay and it's starting to get stale. They've tried to add new things and freshen it up but have only really succeeded in adding fluff which adds nothing to the gameplay and only serves to get in the way of the solid core of Halo.

I think 343 needs to find something that changes things up a bit but by enhancing the core, rather than masking it.

Also, we have the MCC for those who want to truly "go back to the basics".

BigShow36

I disagree.

Innovation is necessary to keep the game fresh IMO. Halo is great, but we've had 13 years of solid gameplay and it's starting to get stale. They've tried to add new things and freshen it up but have only really succeeded in adding fluff which adds nothing to the gameplay and only serves to get in the way of the solid core of Halo.

I think 343 needs to find something that changes things up a bit but by enhancing the core, rather than masking it.

Also, we have the MCC for those who want to truly "go back to the basics".

But we haven't had 13 years of solid gameplay. The past 10 years have been comprised of clumsy core gameplay with layers of garbage thrown on top. Innovation at this point would be a simple-yet-deep game, not more one-off "abilities." True variety in gameplay is only going to come from one place; the players. That can only happen if you give players the freedom to play as an individual, which can only come from a large skill curve. Increase base movement, decrease aim assists, increase base strafe speed; these are the things that will increase the skill gap.

If they don't fix the core gameplay, adding an element like dash is simply going to be more of the same; Band-Aid fixes that don't solve the real issue.

Mumford

Warning: In retrospect, this is probably way too long and I go way too in dept. If you don't care, then skip over this, by all means.
So I was invited to do the survey and I'm going to take that opportunity. Sorry about starting up drama earlier, I didn't mean it and that's not my intention. I just wanna be another HaloGAF poster by the end of the day.

I've been a NeoGAF member for about a year now, and I lurked for about a 6-8 months before that. My time might be off by a bit, but that's about it more or less.
I'm 17, and I live in Georgia despite being born in California. Long story, but I've lived the majority of my life in Georgia despite living in CA as recently as a year ago. I kind of know what both big city and small town life are like.
I didn't own an Xbox as a kid, but I occasionally watched MLG highlights of Halo 2, with Walshy being a personal fav. I didn't understand the game at all, but I liked watching it. Despite this, I still sucked when I got Halo 3 with my 360 for XMas 2007. (It was really my both my first shooter and my first real online game. However, I gave it time, learned the game, and I fell in love with it. I then went on to play CE and eventually 2, as well as Wars, ODST, Reach, CEA, and 4. I kinda love the series.

Definitely multiplayer. I played a lot of FFA and Social Slayer in Halo 3, but then later kind of falling in love with the competitive aspect of Halo despite being absolute trash for the most part. As said though, I got better and I'm still getting better, hopefully. Halo is one of the few games that get more perplexing the more and more I learn about it.
(i.e. MLG, Action Sack)

I played a lot of Big Team in Reach, but I love Free For All, Slayer, and other competitive type modes. I'm not really sure if I ever had a favorite playlist, so I hope that answers your question. I'm not a huge fan of the modes that are more out there, such as Griffball, but I do dabble in that stuff occasionally.
I lurked the hell out of Bungie.net around the 3/Reach days. I remember how Reach totally tore apart the community and how there were epic meltdowns regarding bloom, armor abilities, etc etc.
I kind of stopped playing Halo going in to 2013, as I was massively disappointed by Halo 4. When the Xbox One was announced with its insane DRM, that was kind of the last straw. Since then, I tried to find a game that could replace Halo for me and I didn't really find it. I love Halo for how competitive it can be, how good the gameplay feels, and how it's so much fun to play with friends in general.
However, I did find a lot of other games that I did enjoy a lot on their own merit in the mean time. I love a lot of the games that Nintendo puts out, and I've recently also put a lot of time into random RPG's as well as the Metal Gear Solid series.
- Personal bio stuff. (occupation/hobbies/etc.)[/QUOTE]
I'm going to be a senior in high school this year, so I'm excited for that. I run, so there's that. I have a little bit of a social life, somehow. I also work a part time job at a grocery store. Yay.

Also, this probably isn't very relevant now, but back when things were being changed in Halo Reach and 4 especially, I wasn't a huge fan. (I was open to bloom due to it apparently working in ShadowRun, but it was broken in Reach. Reach became much better when it was removed imo. Edgy opinion, I know.) Most decisions that were made to "broaden the audience" weren't just changes that made the competitive aspect of the game worse, but the entire game worse. Vanilla Reach and 4 are plagued by overall bad design choices, which made me pretty sad. BR spread and bloom make me sad, so I'm excited to finally be able to play Halo 2 online multiplayer with MCC this fall.

If you read this entire thing, high five to you. I'm almost scared to post this now, lol.

Tawpgun

SERIOUS TALK TIME.

DLC in Halo 5.

Halo can NOT keep the same DLC model it had in Reach and 4.

Playing a DLC map in Reach and 4 is a goddamn miracle. You NEVER see them anymore outside a DLC specific playlist.

You know what games come to mind that had great DLC integration?

Halo 2 - Why? Because you let the fans of the game pay for early access to the DLC. After a while it became free, letting everyone play it in matchmaking.

Battlefield Bad Company 2: Dice said it was very important for DLC to be free, for the games health. Granted, BC2 DLC was pretty much just gametypes on maps that previously didn't support them, but still. You would always find a match with the new stuff.

Halo 3 - Why? Well Heroic ended up becoming free which helped, but the major reason for this was ODST coming with ALL the maps. People bought the new Halo Game and it game with the full MP suite.

But it seems as devs now opt for a season pass model (which sorta helps) and/or permanantly paid DLC.

In Halo Reach and 4 it was near impossible to find DLC in regular matchmaking. In games like Titanfall I can only play the DLC in the DLC hoppers.

Halo 5 either needs the DLC to be completley free and just allow for microtransactions for cosmetic skins and and armor and shit.

Or

It needs to follow the Halo 2 model. And there is literally no better time for gaming to do that than right now. It's all about the incentives. You offer exlcusive achievements, double XP, armor and skin unlocks among other cool things if people pay the $10 to recieve the maps early. After a month or 2, they become free for everyone else, but those incentives are now gone.

I know I would totally be willing to buy maps early for cool shit and just to be able to play them first. And I know a bunch of people would also. If Halo 5 follows the same DLC system we've been getting, buying DLC will be straight up pointless.

SOLIDDDD

Banned
I did this in the Halo 4 thread but it was in the midst of the MCC announcement so I doubt anyone saw.

Been lurking for about a year. Have only been a member for a few weeks.

22, hailing from Ottawa, Canada.

I've been a fan since the OG Halo. Played that mostly for campaign and a little bit of split screen fun with friends. Played Halo 2 a little more seriously, lots of XBL when I had online but that was only for a few months. Played Halo 3 religiously, probably have 10,000 games or so combined with all my accounts. 50 in almost every playlist.

Multiplayer by far.

(i.e. MLG, Action Sack)

A tie between MLG and Team Objective (CTF especially)

Had a Bungie account back in 2007 or so, used to post on MLG.com from 2008-2010, was on TheHaloCouncil and now TeamBeyond sites but never really post on them.

Old school Rare titles, RPGs, JRPGs. Paper Mario, SOTN, and KOTOR are my favourite non-Halo games.

University student in Ottawa and other than gaming I play alot of sports, mostly football, basketball, and baseball. Only one I play competitively (university level) is football.

Top Bottom