• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Ugh. Halo 2A CTF is bad.

Positives:
No gun and you can drop

Negatives:
Quick flag reset
No contesting
Flag carrier moves same or quicker speed... SHOULD BE SLOWER THAN EVERYONE

Sigh

Halo 3 style was only good for BTB skirmish, Halo 2 settings are best for 4v4 by lightyears

15JjmN7.png

Kibbles

^ Saw that too. I hope they get rid of the Sniper and Plasma kill medals. Should only get sniper medal for headshots and plasma medal for stickies. Those 'kill' medals too, hah.
Bring him some water at least

Two guys from one of these teams were sharing a water bottle >.<

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Another cringey thing.

In Nightfall

"They found a compound that selectively kills humans and nothing else"

Ok, this is pretty in line with something sci fi forerunner shit can create.

"Not a compound, an element"

Aww cmon. Why'd you have to ruin everything.

There's more to it, as you will see in the show, including how the element was formed.

Woorloog

Banned
There's more to it, as you will see in the show, including how the element was formed.

Element. As in, stuff that is formed from protons, neutrons and electrons?
I wonder if neural physics are part of it somehow, given it s apparent abilities.

(If i'm right, this reminds me of Mistborn's "god metals", which are normal matter but laced with magic giving them odd properties.)

Element. As in, stuff that is formed from protons, neutrons and electrons?
I wonder if neural physics are part of it somehow, given it s apparent abilities.

(If i'm right, this reminds me of Mistborn's "god metals", which are normal matter but laced with magic giving them odd properties.)

This is literally the only explanation that could work. At least then you're not trying to make it part of reality.

ZalinKrow

I didn't think I would see worse screen shaking then BF4, but there it is.

Horribly obnoxious, a bit like ZainKrow. Please tone it down.

I barely check this thread any more, but it's good to see you're still throwing my name in randomly :p I only just got home so I'm afraid I missed all the stuff from today, must try catch up somehow.

btags

Anyone explain me what do they meant with Forge mirrored objects?

Basically, hold up you left hand and make an L with your index finger and thumb. Now do the same with your right hand. The right hand would then be the mirror of the left hand. Replace all of the above analogy with forge pieces and that should hopefully explain it.

Madness

I'm excited. It's nice to see a lot of people who swore off Halo, wanted nothing to do it with anymore, be excited for this release and hopefully for the future of Halo as a series going forward.

Woorloog

Banned
This is literally the only explanation that could work. At least then you're not trying to make it part of reality.

Halo like many other space operas is barely scifi (science-fiction) due to amount of pure magic in them. As long as things are internally consistent and explained with "magic" and not reality, things are fine. I really hope neural physics is the explanation (and hopefully they don't introduce yet another direct magic (as opposed to in-direct magic like anti-gravity)).

As long as things are utilized and not left lying around... implications of tech/magic/stuff should be explored and exploited (like my pet peeve in Halo, Autumn's super magic fusion reactor that would allow perfect stealth in space but goes un-utilized by the UNSC).

Halo like many other space operas is barely scifi (science-fiction) due to amount of pure magic in them. As long as things are internally consistent and explained with "magic" and not reality, things are fine. I really hope neural physics is the explanation (and hopefully they don't introduce yet another direct magic (as opposed to in-direct magic like anti-gravity)).

As long as things are utilized and not left lying around... implications of tech/magic/stuff should be explored and exploited (like my pet peeve in Halo, Autumn's super magic fusion reactor that would allow perfect stealth in space but goes un-utilized by the UNSC).

Other than the recent lore stuff with the Didact/Librarian/etc, what "pure magic" is there? At least most everything up to that point made an attempt to be theoretically possible. That's kind of the point of Sci-Fi - stuff that might never happen but is usually within the realm of theory of some kind. Like I said, they could go the Deepak route and redefine what elements are, in which case they might as well call it something else.

Oh god.

Other than the recent lore stuff with the Didact/Librarian/etc, what "pure magic" is there? At least most everything up to that point made an attempt to be theoretically possible. That's kind of the point of Sci-Fi - stuff that might never happen but is usually within the realm of theory of some kind. Like I said, they could go the Deepak route and redefine what elements are, in which case they might as well call it something else.
Exwife, no pls.

Woorloog

Banned
Neural physics certainly is pure magic but so are many other things really:
FTL, anti-gravity, non-rotational/non-mass artificial gravity, extended guided/shaped magnetic fields, hard light, possibly UNSC fusion engine effectiveness*, the Flood's apparent telepathy (though it could be part of the neural physics). At least.

Anti-gravity may be possible, at least apparent anti-gravity (such as the EmDrive which seems to work even though it should not based on our current understanding, or the apparent acceleration of universe's expansion) but the way Halo portrays it is unlikely.
Magnetic fields can be manipulated but they can't be arbitrarily extended and guided, if they could be, it would be useful and actually allow plasma weapons the Covies have (though there would be no point, just use a frigging particle beam, it is the same but faster).

*given the apparent lack of massive amounts of propellant, they have to be super-super efficient, especially since the books (Nylund's mind you) imply human ships can travel very fast in-system (and such acceleration requires inertial dampening by the way, which is yet another magical system, at least the way it works in Halo), and this makes them pretty much pure magic due to various required secondary things to make them work in reality that probably don't exist in Haloverse since they would affect other things so much but we don't see them.

EDIT i have nothing against magic in "scifi" as long as it is utilized to its fullest extent. Unfortunately Halo does not do this...

This isn't a Livechamber thread. I'd say get the Livechamber stuff out.

The only Livechamber thing is the Tempest graphic to fill out the composition in the main banner. By the way, people, my OT Title Update is out! Go check out the OP, it's been significantly updated.

This isn't going to happen, but I would have loved a manual in same vain as the manual from the Halo 2 map pack detailing every map with a diagram and a description.

jem0208

Neural physics certainly is pure magic but so are many other things really:
FTL, anti-gravity, non-rotational/non-mass artificial gravity, extended guided/shaped magnetic fields, hard light, possibly UNSC fusion engine effectiveness*, the Flood's apparent telepathy (though it could be part of the neural physics). At least.

Anti-gravity may be possible, at least apparent anti-gravity (such as the EmDrive which seems to work even though it should not based on our current understanding, or the apparent acceleration of universe's expansion) but the way Halo portrays it is unlikely.
Magnetic fields can be manipulated but they can't be arbitrarily extended and guided, if they could be, it would be useful and actually allow plasma weapons the Covies have (though there would be no point, just use a frigging particle beam, it is the same but faster).

*given the apparent lack of massive amounts of propellant, they have to be super-super efficient, especially since the books (Nylund's mind you) imply human ships can travel very fast in-system (and such acceleration requires inertial dampening by the way, which is yet another magical system, at least the way it works in Halo), and this makes them pretty much pure magic due to various required secondary things to make them work in reality that probably don't exist in Haloverse since they would affect other things so much but we don't see them.

EDIT i have nothing against magic in "scifi" as long as it is utilized to its fullest extent. Unfortunately Halo does not do this...

None of that is actually "magic" though...

It's all technology based and most of it has always been in sci-fi. None of it is supernatural, just because it isn't actually physically possible doesn't make it magic.

This isn't going to happen, but I would have loved a manual in same vain as the manual from the Halo 2 map pack detailing every map with a diagram and a description.

http://www.videogamer.com/xboxone/h...ncludes_steelbook_map_book_and_grunt_dlc.html

Don't think it's available other than in the UK though.

Top Bottom