• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

belushy

Banned
BUSO107.jpg

Might be a stupid question, but what is the difference between "Mirrored Versions of Objects" and "Objects of Versions Mirrored" ?

GrizzNKev

Banned
The guns sound more like captured audio and less like a video game. Like everything in game design, more realistic does not necessarily mean better. The gun sounds in Halo have always been designed to be easily distinguishable. There's also a lot of nostalgia that I feel for the little things, like the reload sound on the sniper, for instance, but maybe I'm just weird about audio.

Yes, please. I watched some of the 1080p60 footage for Sanctuary and it looked incredible. The stream went to shit for me when they showed the H3 teaser, so it just looked like I was watching a stream of existing Halo 3.

I get what you mean. I think, of the human weapons they showed, the SMG retained its audio identity the best. The tail end of the sniper definitely isn't as distinguishable as the old sound.

In line to play Lockout again, then going to the signing to hit on Frank.

4 nades each in Halo 2 is awesome.

But in combination with hitmarkers I dunno...

yeah - not a fan of visual hit-markers. I think it was best when you had to listen for a spartan to moan to know if your nades hit. More intelligent/natural way of handling the information IMO.

defghik

Frankie, are grenade indicators and hit makers going to make it into the final game?

agreed. "pro" kids taking pop shots across the map. im out.

This is how Lockout has always been played at high levels. If you try to make pushes, you're just going to get destroyed because of how easy it is to set up and cover all possible angles of attack. This always has been, and always will be the only way to win on Lockout at high levels of play.

The shaky camera of FPS games these days can be ridiculous. It especially sucks in competitive shooters..

Agreed, I just find it obnoxious.

Computron

Another forge question Frankie, is the dynamic lighting glitch fixed. Pretty much if you reach a certain object limit or budget limit the dynamic lighting sort of bugs out. Also, will there be more light options for interiors?

Will the resolution/sample-count be increased for the indirect shadowing, or have you guys maybe moved to another technique?

Any pictures?

-Ryn

Banned
Question? Why do people hate hit markers? They're one of the only Halo 4 additions I actually liked.
I don't like them much because I think they feel very... "inorganic" I guess would be the word. There are better way to convey hits than markers on your screen. Then there's the part about immersion and how it's weird that bullets send a hit message but that's a different issue.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Question? Why do people hate hit markers? They're one of the only Halo 4 additions I actually liked.

Because the visual feedback system designed to inform players about the damage they're doing, the shields-> pop-> blood, works really well without hit markers. The only thing they add is knowledge of damage done when you can't see your opponent, like with nades or rockets. That could be considered unfair, I guess.

defghik

I don't like them much because I think they feel very... "inorganic" I guess would be the word. There are better way to convey hits than markers on your screen. Then there's the part about immersion and how it's weird that bullets send a hit message but that's a different issue.

That's not really the problem. It's that if you chuck random grenades somewhere, you'll get hitmarkers showing the guy is there, even though you would have no idea without them.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Here's my thoughts from a few days ago:
Hitmarkers take visual / audio feedback (shield flare effect / shield popping sound) and skill (predicting whether or not a grenade you throw will hit the enemy) and dumbs them down. They're an easy, cheap solution when much better solutions can already be found in past games in the series.
Basically: Reach's a/v cues were amazing and I want more of that instead of hitmarkers.

Because the visual feedback system designed to inform players about the damage they're doing, the shilds-> pop-> blood, works really well without hit markers. The only thing they add is knowledge of damage done when you can't see your opponent, like with nades or rockets. That could be considered unfair, I guess.
Yup.

Reach sometimes had TOO much a/v feedback. The Fuel Rod Cannon was lethal not because the damage, but because you were fuckin' blind if that thing went off near you

-Ryn

Banned
That's not really the problem. It's that if you chuck random grenades somewhere, you'll get hitmarkers showing the guy is there, even though you would have no idea without them.
Kittens and Grizz put it better than I did but I think that the feel of it is artificial which while not being the main problem, is one. As you said though splash damage revealing positions is an issue as well. It hurts stealth as well as awareness.

Top Bottom