• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Rev3rb

Is there a summary of info released today? I fell asleep before the panel

Did they really replace the cool music in the coliseum fight? (Can't remember what it's called but at the end of Gravemind). It'll still be in the original though right?

They got the dude from Periphery/Animals as Leaders (Misha Mansoor) to write two new songs to replace Breaking Benjamin/Incubus. The originals are still in classic mode.

Madness

So there is some new super-virus that kills humans that Locke and the team in Nightfall investigate and they need to find Chief because whatever the Librarian did to him, gives him the cure/immunity, just like it did when he was almost composed?

They have to handle Locke much better than Palmer. If they push him too hard as a replacement for Chief, or make him too anti-Chief early on, a lot of fans wouldn't like it. He needs to be like Dom to Marcus Fenix. One benefit is that, like Lasky, just having him be the star and get to know him before he's introduced into the game will create a greater likeability factor.

Hmmm. Have we heard a preview yet?

http://www.twitch.tv/pax/c/5032590

Skip to the audio parts after Kiki speaks about Nightfall etc.

Woorloog

Banned
No, you're applying your own perfectly reasonable semantics to an argument about hard and soft Sci fi. I would never describe Halo as hard Sci fi.

I don't think i ever claimed it being hard scifi. Quite the opposite. Halo is soft scifi because it has what basically amounts to magic, and quite a lot of it. Not a bad thing necessarily, space opera is a fun genre. But even soft scifi should be consistent, especially with itself, and with real world unless otherwise noted. (If someone gets impression i don't like soft scifi, that is because soft scifi is too often badly thought out, badly written, its potential unrealized, and those things bother me quite a lot.)

So there is some new super-virus that kills humans that Locke and the team in Nightfall investigate and they need to find Chief because whatever the Librarian did to him, gives him the cure/immunity, just like it did when he was almost composed?

They have to handle Locke much better than Palmer. If they push him too hard as a replacement for Chief, or make him too anti-Chief early on, a lot of fans wouldn't like it. He needs to be like Dom to Marcus Fenix. One benefit is that, like Lasky, just having him be the star and get to know him before he's introduced into the game will create a greater likeability factor.

Chief doesn't seem to be a part of Nightfall; Locke's not even an SIV yet. It's more of an origin story. No guarantee that the events will lead into Halo 5's plot.

And it's specifically not a virus. Seems to be some Precursor/Forerunner neural physics thing.

I don't think i ever claimed it being hard scifi. Quite the opposite. Halo is soft scifi because it has what basically amounts to magic, and quite a lot of it. Not a bad thing necessarily, space opera is a fun genre. But even soft scifi should be consistent, especially with itself, and with real world unless otherwise noted. (If someone gets impression i don't like soft scifi, that is because soft scifi is too often badly thought out, badly written, its potential unrealized, and those things bother me quite a lot.)

I'd argue that Halo is actually fairly consistent. There's the occasional issue (like the aforementioned thermodynamics defying fusion core), but by and large it hews to established rules.

As to magic vs. technology, I'll let Arthur C. Clarke do the talking for me :)

Woorloog

Banned
I'd argue that Halo is actually fairly consistent. There's the occasional issue (like the aforementioned thermodynamics defying fusion core), but by and large it hews to established rules.

As to magic vs. technology, I'll let Arthur C. Clarke do the talking for me :)

It is fairly consistent with itself, it is just that those flaws it has bothers me. Especially since they could have been avoided easily without actually changing the setting almost at all.

As for Clarke's law, my spin on it would be, naturally: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indeed magic".

Madness

Crazy I'm actually reading some tweets of fans disappointed there is no sprint in Halo 2 Anniversary because "all modern shooters need sprint" etc. Are you not watching the tournament or the gameplay? Why is sprint needed?

Ramirez

Crazy I'm actually reading some tweets of fans disappointed there is no sprint in Halo 2 Anniversary because "all modern shooters need sprint" etc. Are you not watching the tournament or the gameplay? Why is sprint needed?

The new generation of gamers.

Rev3rb

They can go play Halo 4. Bam.

Makes it feel faster.

Totally breaks the game, but you were asking why people want it, so...

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
This is kinda random, but can I call dibs on the next HaloGAF OT? I've never done one before and it sounds fun.

Kibbles

Probably just came out of their mother's womb when Halo 2 was released.

defghik

Tons of problems with the game going into blackscreen during this tourney.

I'm really hoping this is just a bug that will be resolved before release, rather than an issue with Microsoft forcing you to connect to XBL in order to LAN.

Takashi

Hi Halogaf, I hadn't kept up with the HMCC news so I caught up on some stuff past few days and saw part of the tournament stream earlier. Gonna watch the panel when I get a chance later.

The remastered maps are looking awesome, and the gameplay looks fast and fluid. Feels good not seeing armor abilities clutter things up. Also I know you guys touched on it already, but wtf is up with that shaky cam from explosions. Why is that needed exactly..?

Hey Kittens, if you for sure want |OT21|, let me know and I can try and whip up some pre-emptive graphics (or give you elements from this OT update) before I get shipped out next week.

Eh, next one can still be Halo |OT20| since this was just HaloGAF Anniversary in terms of naming.

On another note, now that you guys mentioned screen shake with grenades so much I can't unsee it either. Every grenade throw all I notice now is the indicators and then screen shaking. 60FPS gameplay also looks really fluid. Can't wait to see if it'll hold up in BTB when the rockets, and vehicles and explosions start flying.

No, that would fuck up the numbering Day-Of-The-Doctor-level bad.

I'd be happy to help set up an OT at some point if I had some help!

Pls bring back kylej ot's

Madness

Honestly, I can't stop but look at the screen shaking during grenades now. Even from like 10 feet away it shakes, it's ridiculous when there are like 4-5 grenades thrown in a closed area. Wish I didn't read about it.

No, that would fuck up the numbering Day-Of-The-Doctor-level bad.

I'd be happy to help set up an OT at some point if I had some help!

Pls bring back kylej ot's

Eh, seeing as how there was no Halo |OT20| I don't think it'll mess up anything. The title of this seems like a one-off to celebrate Halo 2 Anniversary as it is.

Maybe Kyle can make an alt and do OT21

HOLY SHIT MIKWEN SO CLUTCH!

EDIT: damn that game was good. And Madness, I'm just sitting here wondering how you *didn't* see it without being told :)

Madness

HOLY SHIT MIKWEN SO CLUTCH!

EDIT: damn that game was good. And Madness, I'm just sitting here wondering how you *didn't* see it without being told :)

Wondering myself. Maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention, or the fact people here mentioned it and I started to actively look for it, and it's all I can see now.

Any link of what are you watching?

http://www.twitch.tv/halo

Switch to source for 60fps

Fuck sleeping this is too good!

seriously.

F5epp.gif

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I am watching a trailer for "Alaska Triangle" a show ostensibly about monsters that may exist in Alaska like you know, chupacabra.

But like, isn't Alaska literally chock full of actual man eating bears? Why the eff would you need a supernatural creature?

I am watching a trailer for "Alaska Triangle" a show ostensibly about monsters that may exist in Alaska like you know, chupacabra.

But like, isn't Alaska literally chock full of actual man eating bears? Why the eff would you need a supernatural creature?

Alaska is like Australia, everything there wants to kill you.

Top Bottom