• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Woorloog

Banned
None of that is actually "magic" though...

It's all technology based and most of it has always been in sci-fi. None of it is supernatural, just because it isn't actually physically possible doesn't make it magic.

Actually, it is exactly magic: it is not possible in reality, therefore it is supernatural. Saying "it is technology" does not change its fundamental nature.
Do understand i'm talking about it in meta-sense. These things, like FTL, exist to allow something that is not quite possible, so a magical shortcut is introduced.
In Haloverse these are not magic, nor is the neural physics as it is part of the universe, in Haloverse. But functionally they are, you could substitute actual spells and incantations for them and nothing would change but the feel of the work.

EDIT a good example: Mass Effect's titular mass effect and the element zero enabling this "mass effect". Functionally magic, filling the trope slot, but not treated as called magic in-universe.

Actually, it is exactly magic: it is not possible in reality, therefore it is supernatural. Saying "it is technology" does not change its fundamental nature.
Do understand i'm talking about it in meta-sense. These things, like FTL, exist to allow something that is not quite possible, so a magical shortcut is introduced.
In Haloverse these are not magic, nor is the neural physics as it is part of the universe, in Haloverse. But functionally they are, you could substitute actual spells and incantations for them and nothing would change but the feel of the work.

Isn't the feel of the work integral to the work itself, though? Call it soft science if you must, but it's not magic.

Isn't the feel of the work integral to the work itself, though? Call it soft science if you must, but it's not magic.

This. There is theory and theoretical science involved in everything you listed. We can't accomplish it now, but there is a possibility we can in the future. That is Sci-Fi in a nutshell.

Other than the recent lore stuff with the Didact/Librarian/etc, what "pure magic" is there? At least most everything up to that point made an attempt to be theoretically possible. That's kind of the point of Sci-Fi - stuff that might never happen but is usually within the realm of theory of some kind. Like I said, they could go the Deepak route and redefine what elements are, in which case they might as well call it something else.

ahh the good old C4 being upgraded to...C20!

Woorloog

Banned

Perhaps it is integral. It would not be Halo, if the scifi-magic-things were replaced with actual spells. But the effect is the same, it works different from reality due to things that don't happen in reality.

This. There is theory and theoretical science involved in everything you listed. We can't accomplish it now, but there is a possibility we can in the future. That is Sci-Fi in a nutshell.

It does not work like that. FTL, for example, won't happen even though we can't do it now (i've explained it before, i will explain it again if you ask but i'd rather not).

Perhaps it is integral. It would not be Halo, if the scifi-magic-things were replaced with actual spells. But the effect is the same, it works different from reality due to things that don't happen in reality.

It does not work like that. FTL, for example, won't happen just because we can't do it now (i've explained it before, i will explain it again if you ask but i'd rather not).

That's just a matter of preference, and that's cool. Do you.

No, but their is theory behind it. Someone didn't just pull it out of their ass and gave it a name
ACCIO BROOM!
That's not magic to me. Magical, sure, but not magic.

JDHarbs

I haven't been staying on top of the news as much lately, but have file shares been confirmed yet? I think at one point I heard they might not make it in.

I don't know how I would feel about only being able to download from our temp histories.

Ugh, there are too many assumptions about physical reality (especially on the quantum level) that you're making that I don't even want to reply.

Let's just say there's a difference between saying that in the future we have artificial gravity and just straight-up redefining gravity itself.

*****On a completely different note, this camera shake shit is getting fucking annoying, sometimes to the point of nausea.

Woorloog

Banned
No, but their is theory behind it. Someone didn't just pull it out of their ass and gave it a name
ACCIO BROOM!
That's not magic to me. Magical, sure, but not magic.

What theory? Shaw-Fujikava equations or whatever they are in Haloverse (can't recall what)? That's fluff. The explanation how the device works (something about blackholes), that's technobabble, something we could do without since we know the device's capabilities. Sure these work as an in-universe explanation. But the thing itself is magic, it allows what is not possible in reality.
It does not feel magical or magic. But feelings do not change reality. When i say magic when talking about scifi, i almost always talk about it in meta-sense, what it enables, what is its purpose in worldbuilding and whatever else related. I'm not talking about it from in-universe perspective.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Element. As in, stuff that is formed from protons, neutrons and electrons?
I wonder if neural physics are part of it somehow, given it s apparent abilities.

(If i'm right, this reminds me of Mistborn's "god metals", which are normal matter but laced with magic giving them odd properties.)

Nope. As much to do with how it's distributed as what it is. Polonium, for example, isn't great for humans if distributed correctly. Anyway there's no magic. Just sci-fi.

Ghazi

Was it just me, or were some of the textures on certain rock sections of the map really questionable? Like, I know this isn't final build, but other parts of the map looked really good, so I was just curious.

Woorloog

Banned
Nope. As much to do with how it's distributed as what it is. Polonium, for example, isn't great for humans if distributed correctly. Anyway there's no magic. Just sci-fi.

Polonium also kills pretty much anything else living. Something that kills only humans? Magic. Unless it is specifically tailored virus or something. But then it would not be an element but a compound, organism, or something else, no?
EDIT that is, my issue here is whether we're using element to mean elements like carbon or oxygen, or to mean something vague.

Pfhunkie

Was it just me, or were some of the textures on certain rock sections of the map really questionable? Like, I know this isn't final build, but other parts of the map looked really good, so I was just curious.
A friend and I commented on how they looked a bit less like real rocks and more like stage prop rocks.

But then wouldn't it be the distribution method (or, ironically, containing compound?) that "selectively" kills humans then?

Considering the shared physiology of all life on Earth, to selectively choose humans would require reading DNA or maybe some enzymatic process, which would require more than just an element to differentiate

Whatever, I'm sure there's some part of the Forerunner trilogy that deus ex machina's this into making sense, what with the alternate human history and all that, but still...

I'll just drop it. There's one of the first decent Halo tournaments in years to watch instead.

Polonium also kills pretty much anything else living.

my issue here is whether we're using element to mean elements like carbon or oxygen, or to mean something vague.

See. Here we can agree.

Hey guys, do we know if Halo 1 comes with all the PC extras? I know it has all the PC only maps, but does it have the Rocket Warthog, the Banshee, the Flamethrower and the Fuel Rod Cannon?

Mistel

Banned
Did anyone snap any pics of the mister chief cosplay, btw?
Here's one:
BwTjXt4CQAAIW7C.jpg

Onikaan

I re-watched the reactions of the panelists when the "Will John find out what Spartan II's are alive?" question was asked and those reactions coupled with the "104" braile on the armour that was spotted recently, makes me quite confident we'll be seeing them soon.

Frankie's subtle scottish grinning gave everything away already, though.

Deception

I re-watched the reactions of the panelists when the "Will John find out what Spartan II's are alive?" question was asked and those reactions coupled with the "104" braile on the armour that was spotted recently, makes me quite confident we'll be seeing them soon.

Frankie's subtle scottish grinning gave everything away already, though.

Honestly I've been waiting for that to happen in a Halo game ever since reading Fall of Reach and Ghosts of Onxy.

Madness

So that was Barrow Roll that had the last question in the panel regarding descoping? I always thought it was a memory issue and not by design. I mean that was actually one of the poorer decisions in the campaign how quick ammo despawned or during MP when you immediately run back to try and find your power weapon but it's gone etc.

So that was Barrow Roll that had the last question in the panel regarding descoping? I always thought it was a memory issue and not by design. I mean that was actually one of the poorer decisions in the campaign how quick ammo despawned or during MP when you immediately run back to try and find your power weapon but it's gone etc.

It was by design to compensate for ordnance IIRC

EDIT: new KOTH medal: "Loitering" lolol

I actually prefer First Strike, "The Impossible Life and the Possible Death of Preston J. Cole," and Ghosts of Onyx to Fall of Reach.

Especially Preston J. Cole. That's Nylund's best work.

Cole is especially good, don't get me wrong, but Reach holds a special place in my heart, and there's nothing else quite like the Chief's origin story.

Tawpgun

Seeing the stream at 60 fps and seeing real competetive Halo being played again is so sweet.

It'd be cool if they held just H2Anny tourneys (there is forge to create other maps too)

Or, what if there was also a best of 3 tourney but it went between the different Halos.

Madness

We're halfway to OT21. If you want to make it and fill the author design space with a more relevant graphic you're more than welcome to.

Eh, next one can still be Halo |OT20| since this was just HaloGAF Anniversary in terms of naming.

On another note, now that you guys mentioned screen shake with grenades so much I can't unsee it either. Every grenade throw all I notice now is the indicators and then screen shaking. 60FPS gameplay also looks really fluid. Can't wait to see if it'll hold up in BTB when the rockets, and vehicles and explosions start flying.

Woorloog

Banned
Halsey's Journal and that Cole short story are great. Then Contact Harvest, ignoring some things...

Fall of Reach... I can't decide. It is the first Halo book i read, it is the only book of which i own two copies (the old and the new editions), it added quite a bit to the universe. Yet at the same time, it ruined my vision of what the Spartans were. Plus i never liked how the FoR!Chief feels so different from Game!Chief, personality-wise (or lack of it, depending how you look at it), or how the book feels more like a document of the Spartan's lives than a book with interesting plot and character (which it does not have IMO), without being an interesting (in-universe) factual document.

Long ago, before i read the books, all i had were Halo 1's manual and map descriptions (like Chiron being some kind of training station IIRC), and they made things... different. There was only one Spartan left. In my mind, he was more of a cyborg, the Spartans are cyborgs since they have that neural-interface implant, but the Spartans of my vision were more so. And they were clones for some reason, i can't recall what made me think that though. And the Covies were more mysterious (though i have always loved Halo 2's portrayal of them far more).
It was interesting vision. Perhaps i can build something else around this idea...

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Polonium also kills pretty much anything else living. Something that kills only humans? Magic. Unless it is specifically tailored virus or something. But then it would not be an element but a compound, organism, or something else, no?
EDIT that is, my issue here is whether we're using element to mean elements like carbon or oxygen, or to mean something vague.

No, you're applying your own perfectly reasonable semantics to an argument about hard and soft Sci fi. I would never describe Halo as hard Sci fi.

Omni

Is there a summary of info released today? I fell asleep before the panel

Did they really replace the cool music in the coliseum fight? (Can't remember what it's called but at the end of Gravemind). It'll still be in the original though right?

No, you're applying your own perfectly reasonable semantics to an argument about hard and soft Sci fi. I would never describe Halo as hard Sci fi.

So this "element" is like the opposite of Leeloo? Halo's sci-fi gonna get *that* soft?

*cough*Leeloo Minai Lekarariba-Laminai-Tchai Ekbat De Sebat*cough*

Top Bottom