• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Madness

Just watched the panel, that was freaking great.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ FORGE! ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Sounds like they have a fantastic plan for the community

I will volunteer myself to do the first Forge remake spotlight, who wants to see Bravo interview me over Kinect about another nilla based Turf for the third time?!?!

Bravo: Nilla, y u do dis?

Me: "I stand before you accused of a sin of ensuring real time shadows ascendancy. Of attempting to save us from this fate where we are forced to....recede. Gray-forge pallets stand as the greatest threat in the galaxy. Refusing to eradicate them is a fool's gambit. We squander eons in the darkness, while Farcry seize our triumphs as their own. The communities responsibility for all things Turf belongs to me alone. Think my acts as you will, but do not doubt the reality. The reforging has already begun, and we are hopeless to stop it."

max, please understand I need interactive forge pieces, nobody likes the static walkways and doors.

M222Y7Z.png

Thoughts on all these changes? Will this allow maps to look and be designed better than ever before? How easy would it be to possibly make some CE or 3 maps, or other maps that H2A didn't give the remaster treatment to?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
So, Lockout. I like the idea of an orange sunset, but it's overkill in the remastered version. Forgive my shitty photoshop, but why not return to the blue hue of the map, but keep some orange in the sky?

kshITnV.jpg

vs
pax-2014-halo-2-anniversary-lockout-lift-7b07905104ff47a48cd134ac79294696.jpg

Imagine a less shitty version of the top version. Basically, the color corrected gifs that were going around, only with some orange left in the clouds.
Even after watching all the Lockout footage today, the bluer version looks way better. I feel like this is a reasonable change that 343 could implement if we complain about it enough (you know, politely and whatnot). But maybe it's not as easy as I imagine it to be. Maybe it would require overhauling the whole visual design of the map. I have no clue, but it seems simple enough to me.

Omni

Anyone particularly feel like getting some Reach achievements sometime?

hY3a6S.png

I need to get these two and then I'll have it 100%'d. Problem being Defiant maps don't come up in Team Objective unless you have a party going blah

nillapuddin

M222Y7Z.png

Thoughts on all these changes? Will this allow maps to look and be designed better than ever before? How easy would it be to possibly make some CE or 3 maps, or other maps that H2A didn't give the remaster treatment to?

If all these fixes and improvements work as well as they read on paper, then it could add some serious depth to our bag of tricks. But at the end of the day, Forge is a map editor, not a map creator. By doing all these Remakes and Original maps we are actually manipulating the original intention of the mode. CA has imo done a fantastic* job embracing the shift so far, and I now see that line being blurred to a point of near in-distinction
final destination canvas'!
(which is good for me!)

As far as remaking maps from CE (simple geometry, nearly every map has been remade to great accuracy) or Halo 3 (for the most part very organic and difficult to replicate environments) it all comes down to piece selection and visual flexibility, but I could easily see alot more maps be possible with the (assuredly) decreased technical limitations.

For example: Terrain/Natural limitations have prevented many maps from being feasible...

Relic w/no hills =/= Relic
urfSYPM.jpg

Im glad you asked that, it made me revisit the fireside chat Fuchsdh set up for Pete the Duck and I, and I now look back at that with a very positive outlook.

I feel many of our points have been addressed, or atleast hinted at, and I am now very optimistic for the future of Forge, I was coming into H2A expecting nothing, so I am now thrilled at the prospect of these new tools. I will once again throw myself back into monitor mode to try and bring out my greatest hits and some of my favorite co-forges for the new generation.

I will volunteer myself to do the first Forge remake spotlight, who wants to see Bravo interview me over Kinect about another nilla based Turf for the third time?!?!

Me: "I stand before you accused of a sin of ensuring real time shadows ascendancy. Of attempting to save us from this fate where we are forced to....recede. Gray-forge pallets stand as the greatest threat in the galaxy. Refusing to eradicate them is a fool's gambit. We squander eons in the darkness, while Farcry seize our triumphs as their own. The communities responsibility for all things Turf belongs to me alone. Think my acts as you will, but do not doubt the reality. The reforging has already begun, and we are hopeless to stop it."

max, please understand I need interactive forge pieces, nobody likes the static walkways and doors.

Amazingly well said.

Fuchsdh

In person Halo 3 looks noticeably different but it's obviously subtle compared to the remastered stuff. Lighting looks great, the shadows are really what makes it feel the most dated.

H2A made me realize I am sorely out of practice with my H2 movement and grenade chucking skills but the BR felt great and I liked the stalactites--big enough splash to be a threat but still small enough that aware players will be fine.

Having the text out of the middle is very nice.

The Forerunner Flood in the stasis containers are very cool and atmospheric, but I didn't have time to really examine them with the 4v4 action.

The amount of bass in that theater was pretty crazy.

Meh, that music to replace Breaking Benjamin and Incubus was kinda lame. If they keep the same vibe going as in the game, I won't mind too much.

Steve Vai coming back is a godsend though. That sounds fucking glorious.

jem0208

Actually, it is exactly magic: it is not possible in reality, therefore it is supernatural. Saying "it is technology" does not change its fundamental nature.
Do understand i'm talking about it in meta-sense. These things, like FTL, exist to allow something that is not quite possible, so a magical shortcut is introduced.
In Haloverse these are not magic, nor is the neural physics as it is part of the universe, in Haloverse. But functionally they are, you could substitute actual spells and incantations for them and nothing would change but the feel of the work.

EDIT a good example: Mass Effect's titular mass effect and the element zero enabling this "mass effect". Functionally magic, filling the trope slot, but not treated as called magic in-universe.

That's just sci-fi though. Sure they aren't possible with our current understanding of physics or the universe however they are explained through scientific means in the fictional universe. They could maybe be considered magic in our current universe however it is still technology and based on scientific theories (albeit fictional science) and hence science fiction, not magic. If you somehow went back in time and showed someone a plane or a phone they'd believe it was magic.

Also you claim FTL isn't possible, it's possible wormholes allow for travel over great distances faster than light. Or there could be another undiscovered aspect of physics which allows for it which is just what Halo is describing. That's the point of science fiction. It's fiction, however it's rooted in scientific theory.

Meant to post this last night but the Gaf crashed and I needed sleep.

Akai__

Woorloog

Banned
That's just sci-fi though. Sure they aren't possible with our current understanding of physics or the universe however they are explained through scientific means in the fictional universe. They could maybe be considered magic in our current universe however it is still technology and based on scientific theories (albeit fictional science) and hence science fiction, not magic. If you somehow went back in time and showed someone a plane or a phone they'd believe it was magic.

Also you claim FTL isn't possible, it's possible wormholes allow for travel over great distances faster than light. Or there could be another undiscovered aspect of physics which allows for it which is just what Halo is describing. That's the point of science fiction. It's fiction, however it's rooted in scientific theory.

Bolded explains how i think about it. Do note that i call only things that are pretty much impossible magic, speculative things that are still grounded to reality, like new materials or odd life doesn't count (but a material that, say, blocks all radiation but isn't dense is really magic, pretty sure the only way to cut down radiation is density, correct me if i'm wrong though).
Also magic is not necessarily a problem, just when a thing is introduced but its consequences are not thought about. If i see as a reader/player/watcher/whatever a possible solution that goes unused in-universe, i'm going to be bothered by this.
And i do keep saying it is not magic in-Haloverse.

And FTL is not possible due to causality problems. Undiscovered aspects of physics are still limited by it (new theories must still explain old experiments and whatever else).
You can't really dodge the time travel issue... Unless time travel is actually possible. Then causality would not what we thought it was, of course. But that's another matter. (Also ignoring moving between universes, which has its own set of issues.)
Wormholes don't actually dodge the causality issue, you can make a time machine them quite easily. You could also make a kind of a perpetual motion machine with them (free relativistic weapons for everyone!!!).
(Interestingly Greg Bear did try to fix this issue in the Forerunner trilogy, by slipspace causal reconciliation, or some such. Presumably some sort chronology protection system, that prevents action if it would cause paradoxes. Those books had a lot of small details, which was nice.)

EDIT also not going to say any more about this today.

----------

Speaking of time travel, did they canonize that Halo 2 ARG? And that one Spartan from Dead or Alive games? Both cases had time travel if i recall correctly.

EDIT Wait, what, Breaking Benjamin song is gone from Halo 2? FUCK!

Actually, it is exactly magic: it is not possible in reality, therefore it is supernatural. Saying "it is technology" does not change its fundamental nature.
Do understand i'm talking about it in meta-sense. These things, like FTL, exist to allow something that is not quite possible, so a magical shortcut is introduced.
In Haloverse these are not magic, nor is the neural physics as it is part of the universe, in Haloverse. But functionally they are, you could substitute actual spells and incantations for them and nothing would change but the feel of the work.

EDIT a good example: Mass Effect's titular mass effect and the element zero enabling this "mass effect". Functionally magic, filling the trope slot, but not treated as called magic in-universe.

FTL is not magic, it's a real thing that scientists are studying today. Speculating mostly, but definitely studying.
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/glenn/technology/warp/ideachev.html

Just because something isn't "possible" today doesn't make it magic if it happens in science fiction.

So excited for MCC Forge. Hope they give us some more colour options. Also sounds like they're being more liberal with lights, etc.

M222Y7Z.png

So happy we get precision control back. So annoying not having that in H4.
Can't wait to hear more about the "Simple Scripting Objects", that likely opens up a huge variety of options for custom games.

So, Lockout. I like the idea of an orange sunset, but it's overkill in the remastered version. Forgive my shitty photoshop, but why not return to the blue hue of the map, but keep some orange in the sky?

kshITnV.jpg

vs
pax-2014-halo-2-anniversary-lockout-lift-7b07905104ff47a48cd134ac79294696.jpg

Imagine a less shitty version of the top version. Basically, the color corrected gifs that were going around, only with some orange left in the clouds.

ibjYIX0NnJpufI.jpg

HUEHUEHUEHUE

I agree.

gAg CruSh3r

I remember someone asking about if Astro Gaming has exclusive Halo stuff and it turns out they have:

http://www.astrogaming.com/special-editions-halo

halo_product.png

You can order the speaker tags seperately:

http://www.astrogaming.com/a40-halo-skull/3AT40-MSX9N-377.html#start=1

Here is the announcement video, which also mentions a A50 Halo Headset (??? and a MixAmp that plugs into your Xbox One controller ???):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-6Ud67U7JU

Couldn't find it on the site, though.

That was me. I guess I need to upgrade all of my stuff :).. Thank you for finding that stuff.

I have Astros a30,a40 with a mix amp, and a50. I want a38s and a newer version of those a40s :)... I think I will have to sale some of my Astros stuff.. :)

Woorloog

Banned
Speaking of Albatrosses, which i want to see properly too, i wonder if Halo 2 Anniversary will have some skull or other thing that enables driving Shadows? They're fully coded AFAIK, only disabled so changing this shouldn't be impossible, is it?
Not sure what the point would be but whatever.

(And did that one comic really have a flying Shadow? Tell me it isn't canon they can fly, that's just silly.)

Speaking of Albatrosses, which i want to see properly too, i wonder if Halo 2 Anniversary will have some skull or other thing that enables driving Shadows? They're fully coded AFAIK, only disabled so changing this shouldn't be impossible, is it?
Not sure what the point would be but whatever.

(And did that one comic really have a flying Shadow? Tell me it isn't canon they can fly, that's just silly.)

It's not canon, the artist just has no idea what he's doing.

Woorloog

Banned
It's not canon, the artist just has no idea what he's doing.

Sure looks like it. Banshees flying with open canopies? Ugh. Terrible art. (That actually happens in Halo CE once or twice, though i can't recall if this was limited to the PC or Xbox only, either way it probably wasn't intentional)

Woorloog

Banned
I don't think albatrosses really fly they kind of just control drop.

Were they in halo wars?

They are dropships, this was in the manual of Halo 2 map pack disc, i think.
The small ships in Halo Wars are Darters, similar but smaller ships.'
EDIT though if i recall correctly, the supply ships in Halo Wars were intended to be Albatrosses by Ensemble.

I still have my A40 system I purchased in September 2009. Probably one of the best gaming purchases I ever made because of how much use and enjoyment I've gotten out of them, even still today. Having all that versatility definitely makes me hesitant to upgrade, but if they were to release something that could accept HDMI and convert linear PCM surround to Dolby Headphone, I'd totally jump on it. Is that a pipe dream?

Fuchsdh

So happy we get precision control back. So annoying not having that in H4.
Can't wait to hear more about the "Simple Scripting Objects", that likely opens up a huge variety of options for custom games.
It would be awesome if it's something as simple as "If this, then that" type triggers. Could be used for a lot of cool round-based or "scenario" type games with greater flexibility than the base gametype.

Even after watching all the Lockout footage today, the bluer version looks way better. I feel like this is a reasonable change that 343 could implement if we complain about it enough (you know, politely and whatnot). But maybe it's not as easy as I imagine it to be. Maybe it would require overhauling the whole visual design of the map. I have no clue, but it seems simple enough to me.

Yeah, from what little I know it's an 'easier' fix. Not to say it's easy, but I imagine it is something that can be done. The orange glow just doesn't match the cold environment, and it especially leaves a lot to be desired when compared to the original. It's not just that Lockout was blue, but also that the orange hue just gives Lockdown a drab, almost brown 'next-gen filter' look. It just doesn't look good to me in general.

To be clear, I'm not bashing the art assets which looks great.. just the colors and atmosphere really aren't doing the other assets any favors.

It would be awesome if it's something as simple as "If this, then that" type triggers. Could be used for a lot of cool round-based or "scenario" type games with greater flexibility than the base gametype.

What about this kind of functionality:

IF button_is_pressed(hold=5s)
THEN animate(door, (1, 0, 0), speed=5)​
(That's all you'd need to do Colossus & High Ground's gates, etc.)

ON update
DO animate(spinnything, (0, 1, 0), speed=1)​
(Ascension, Zanzibar, etc)

Fuchsdh

What about this kind of functionality:

IF button_is_pressed(hold=5s)
THEN animate(door, (1, 0, 0), speed=5)​
(That's all you'd need to do Colossus & High Ground's gates, etc.)

ON update
DO animate(spinnything, (0, 1, 0), speed=1)​
(Ascension, Zanzibar, etc)

I honestly think that's more complicated than you would ever want to do via Forge. Triggers a la Starcraft's map editors really only required you to set zones--everything else could work without them. I feel like targeting specific pieces might be more problematic. But yeah this is all supposition. Didn't bother trying to get in line to ask a clarifying question because it seems like they'll be doing something later on to tell us more.

Top Bottom