• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

So, Lockout. I like the idea of an orange sunset, but it's overkill in the remastered version. Forgive my shitty photoshop, but why not return to the blue hue of the map, but keep some orange in the sky?

kshITnV.jpg

vs
pax-2014-halo-2-anniversary-lockout-lift-7b07905104ff47a48cd134ac79294696.jpg

Imagine a less shitty version of the top version. Basically, the color corrected gifs that were going around, only with some orange left in the clouds.

I am watching a trailer for "Alaska Triangle" a show ostensibly about monsters that may exist in Alaska like you know, chupacabra.

But like, isn't Alaska literally chock full of actual man eating bears? Why the eff would you need a supernatural creature?

I never got eaten by a bear while camping there.

Got chased by a moose. And a porcupine. That's where things get scary.

blamite

So, Lockout. I like the idea of an orange sunset, but it's overkill in the remastered version. Forgive my shitty photoshop, but why not return to the blue hue of the map, but keep some orange in the sky?

kshITnV.jpg

Imagine a less shitty version of this. Basically, the color corrected gifs that were going around, only with some orange left in the clouds.

Wow, it's amazing how much better this is than the real one.

Madness

kshITnV.jpg

Imagine a less shitty version of this. Basically, the color corrected gifs that were going around, only with some orange left in the clouds.

Man, you guys gotta stop showing alternate versions, makes me start thinking of what the map could've been. I actually like this even more than the white gif earlier. Just seems a lot brighter and "cleaner", more in line with a nice snowy map high in the mountains.

I am watching a trailer for "Alaska Triangle" a show ostensibly about monsters that may exist in Alaska like you know, chupacabra.

But like, isn't Alaska literally chock full of actual man eating bears? Why the eff would you need a supernatural creature?

Ancient Bacterias live there so yeah need some warm juicy blood to live and transform into a giant leecher tick

Vhagar

Neo Member
Just started watching the stream. What were they apologizing for? Did the game crash or something?

EDIT: yeah it was, just crashed again.

holy shit just got to watching the stream and my friend got engaged at the panel who's the ODST cosplayer wielding the sword and congratulated her just now. lol

Omni

Bro, do you even djent? Thall.

Yeah, it's not for everyone. I'm a big Bulb/Periphery fan so I'm over the moon about it.
This is probably my biggest disappointment right now. Like egh, why even do it? I guess it wouldn't be a 343i project without at least one fuck up.

I can see how it may seem I'm being a bit melodramatic here. But when I think of Halo 2's campaign, I think of this scene right here. And it's just not going to be the same now that they've tampered with the music. Blaaaaah

This is probably my biggest disappointment right now. Like egh, why even do it? I guess it wouldn't be a 343i project without at least one fuck up.

I can see how it may seem I'm being a bit melodramatic here. But when I think of Halo 2's campaign, I think of this scene right here. And it's just not going to be the same now that they've tampered with the music. Blaaaaah

Dude, switch to classic mode for the fight. It'll be the exact same.

Besides, saying the metal they commissioned is "just noise" is really dumb. It basically sounds like a modernized riff on the Breaking Benjamin stuff. Hell, there's even a coherent melody. I'm not seeing the problem.

Ramirez

lol, is this a joke post?

That shit was always so out of place compared to Marty's soundtrack, as was that crazy ass song during the Banshee fight.

Omni

Dude, switch to classic mode for the fight. It'll be the exact same.
I saw this response coming, haha. And it's a perfectly good option (if they haven't cranked down the settings like they did in CEA), but eh. Would have been nice if they just left it as is, IMO.

That shit was always so out of place compared to Marty's soundtrack, as was that crazy ass song during the Banshee fight.
And yet their replacement doesn't exactly fit in any better either.

Actually, now I'm curious. They make it sound like the sounds are tied to the visuals. But can I have the old sounds with the new visuals? I'd be fine with that

Dat huge, epic orchestration of "Never Forget" in the Halo Channel video at 18:45 in the panel video... Holy crap.

I just need Frankie to confirm that the music in that video is something that will be in Halo 5 Guardians and I will go ahead and find new pants.

I honestly loved Incubus' "Follow" during that scene. It was a fun track that added a lot to my experience. Breaking Benjamin's track was just... odd. It went completely adult alternative radio and was like something out of a summer blockbuster movie.

Again, I'm biased cause I love Misha's work, but at least that is in the same vein as Steve Vai. One is a progressive rock legend, the other brought about the wave of technical metal that has exploded in the last few years. I totally see what they're going for.

I get why he's not a fan, it's not for everyone, but there's probably a massive fan crossover for Misha and Halo (a lot of Periphery/Bulb fans seem to be gamers as well).

Actually, now I'm curious. They make it sound like the sounds are tied to the visuals. But can I have the old sounds with the new visuals? I'd be fine with that

The way they worded it, I don't think so. New sounds with new visuals.

RoKKeR

Dat huge, epic orchestration of "Never Forget" in the Halo Channel video at 18:45 in the panel video... Holy crap.

I just need Frankie to confirm that the music in that video is something that will be in Halo 5 Guardians and I will go ahead and find new pants.

Yeah that was insanely good. Got chills while watching the panel there, sounded amazing.

I saw this response coming, haha. And it's a perfectly good option (if they haven't cranked down the settings like they did in CEA), but eh. Would have been nice if they just left it as is, IMO.

And yet their replacement doesn't exactly fit in any better either.

Eh, if anything I think it would have been more jarring if they left Follow and Blow Me Away in untouched even in Anniversary mode. The instrumentation on Follow (when it's using the vocals on the soundtrack and not that weak-ass saw synth in-game to replace the lyrics) doesn't sound awful today, but Blow Me Away sampling Halo 2's Mausoleum Suite stuff makes it sound dated as hell. I'd way rather new stuff be commissioned, and it's not like letting more people play around with Halo sound is a bad thing. More people need to be introduced to the glory that is metal.

It was covered in their Q&A twice over, oddly enough. One guy asked it and we got a "trust us" answer from the sound designer panelist who didn't understand his question, so another fan asked the question more clearly and we finally got a succinct "no" out of him. The Anniversary and Classic modes are binary in this case; sound design, BGM and graphics are all tied to their respective modes. It's not possible to use Anniversary sounds with classic graphics or vice versa. It kinda sucks, but it's a deliberate design decision of theirs, so I can't really say I have a problem with it.

Eh, if anything I think it would have been more jarring if they left Follow and Blow Me Away in untouched even in Anniversary mode. The instrumentation on Follow (when it's using the vocals on the soundtrack and not that weak-ass saw synth in-game to replace the lyrics) doesn't sound awful today, but Blow Me Away sampling Halo 2's Mausoleum Suite stuff makes it sound dated as hell. I'd way rather new stuff be commissioned, and it's not like letting more people play around with Halo sound is a bad thing. More people need to be introduced to the glory that is metal.

Blow Me Away and Connected are so dated it hurts. Follow is incredibly still solid today. But I agree that saw synth sounded like it came straight out of Sony Acid. So bad...

I love the concept behind having the new tracks. Technical Metal is pretty big, and MIsha practically started it all. Goes great with the legend that is Steve Vai. Hell, I'd even be pumped with a Devin Townsend track (though it'd be weird as hell knowing him)

You a Periphery fan, Sub? Or anything like them (Tesseract, Vildhjarta, etc)?

Madness

How does music become "dated"? Granted the instruments, tools, sound fx, even technical things change, but I don't get the "it sounds old/dated" argument. Music is subjective and you have to think about whether you're approaching it as a fan, or someone who does music for a living. It's not like it was 8-bit audio in Halo 2.

Though I don't even have a problem with the new audio with the new graphics. It's the best of both worlds, I'd have been mad if they gave us new audio to replace the old audio altogether. Now you have the original campaign and audio, plus you have the updated campaign and updated audio.

blamite

I'm not a fan of the new H2A sound effects... at all. The weapon sounds in H2 are super ingrained in my brain, and hearing the new, less distinctive stuff just feels wrong. If I could uget new H2 graphics with classic audio, I'd never use anything else.

Oh, and the Reclaimer Radio team and I were working on a live-reaction-cast for the PAX Panel, but because of a few hiccups with our audio setup it might not see the light of day in favor of a post-panel recording sesh. Couple of gems came out of it, but one of the things I thought would be interesting would be a Halo 4-style "Bury The Hatchet" Skull that made all dropped weapons despawn after roughly a minute or so. Default spawns like weapon crates would remain intact, but the stuff you dropped would be on a time table.

Also, I know Frankie said they kept the weapon-despawning for 4 in deliberately with its MCC remaster, but one of the interesting things to consider is that it's actually kind of important in their vanilla Infinity, where power weapons overstaying their welcome would make the battlefield even more ridiculously armed to the teeth.

Blow Me Away and Connected are so dated it hurts. Follow is incredibly still solid today. But I agree that saw synth sounded like it came straight out of Sony Acid. So bad...

I love the concept behind having the new tracks. Technical Metal is pretty big, and MIsha practically started it all. Goes great with the legend that is Steve Vai. Hell, I'd even be pumped with a Devin Townsend track (though it'd be weird as hell knowing him)

You a Periphery fan, Sub? Or anything like them (Tesseract, Vildhjarta, etc)?

I hate to admit this, but so far the only metal I've explored is Metroid Metal and Stemage's independent works. I've been meaning to get into other stuff, but I tried my hand at two pieces for my recent album drop as another way to get into it. I find it's easier for me to explore new genres if I explore their inner machinations on a technical level.

How does music become "dated"? Granted the instruments, tools, sound fx, even technical things change, but I don't get the "it sounds old/dated" argument. Music is subjective and you have to think about whether you're approaching it as a fan, or someone who does music for a living. It's not like it was 8-bit audio in Halo 2.

Though I don't even have a problem with the new audio with the new graphics. It's the best of both worlds, I'd have been mad if they gave us new audio to replace the old audio altogether. Now you have the original campaign and audio, plus you have the updated campaign and updated audio.

Music can very easily become dated from a production standpoint. I mean sure, good melodies are timeless, which is what Marty excels at, but once you start getting familiar with whatever sound design is of-the-times, you also start picking up on a lot of nuances from software instrumentation to chord progressions that can very easily date a piece. When I say music is "dated," I'm not explicitly outlining it as "unacceptable for our time" or "defunct to modern ears," I'm literally pointing out it belongs to a certain era and sounds like it, too. Even something "timeless" like, say, Journey's soundtrack can still be dated. In ten years, the landscape of music production is going to be so radically different that audiophiles and producers alike will be able to pinpoint codecs, bitrates, samples or even processing effects that'll let them say "yeah, Austin Wintory's work on it was great and all, don't get me wrong, but the second bridge in Reclamation and the chamber orientation for Nadir's trills definitely give away it's a work right out of 2012." Dated isn't synonymous with old in this case.

I don't think dated is the right word, but it is definitely invocative of a specific time. Breaking Benjamin and the others were huge in the early 2000's, and yes, a lot of the style, mixing, production, etc play into that. It's dated in the sense that you wouldn't have the original Wendy Carlos soundtrack used in Tron Legacy (not the best example, but similar idea).

I hate to admit this, but so far the only metal I've explored is Metroid Metal and Stemage's independent works. I've been meaning to get into other stuff, but I tried my hand at two pieces for my recent album drop as another way to get into it. I find it's easier for me to explore new genres if I explore their inner machinations on a technical level.

To kind of get you prepared for the new tracks, I recommend checking out Misha's work as Bulb (it's like a mixtape and it's easy to find on YouTube) and his work in Periphery. Great stuff on its own too, and it really kicked out this wave of progressive/technical metal.

Just to expand a little more on Madness' lack of understanding on why people call music dated, it's worth noting, again, that "dated" is not the same thing as "bad." Marty by and large was churning out melodies way ahead of his time for the game industry, but as the industry developed more he got left behind from a production standpoint until Destiny shot his budget through the roof. It's really evident he was doing things on a budget with ODST and Reach, but he still made the best out of a bad situation. Hell, even Halo 3's non-orchestrated bits (which are interchanged with a lot of software instrumentation in the first place) were pretty glaring a year or two after launch. It's just like dating fossils or history - time as far as we know is pretty linear, so there's no shame in putting a label on something, because cultural trends usually operate in a pretty roundabout fashion in the first place. It's why, say, I could write a piece specifically evocative of Halo 3's soundtrack's production values twenty years from the launch of the Halo 3 soundtrack and make it still sound reminiscent despite being from a completely different time. It's also why certain genres make comebacks or at least receive belated love letters, like disco got with Random Access Memories. "Dated" isn't really as negative a connotation if you break it down into technical building blocks. Saying you don't get how people can call stuff dated is basically saying the concept of cultural shift is superfluous to you.

Just to expand a little more on Madness' lack of understanding on why people call music dated, it's worth noting, again, that "dated" is not the same thing as "bad." Marty by and large was churning out melodies way ahead of his time for the game industry, but as the industry developed more he got left behind from a production standpoint until Destiny shot his budget through the roof. It's really evident he was doing things on a budget with ODST and Reach, but he still made the best out of a bad situation. Hell, even Halo 3's non-orchestrated bits (which are interchanged with a lot of software instrumentation in the first place) were pretty glaring a year or two after launch. It's just like dating fossils or history - time as far as we know is pretty linear, so there's no shame in putting a label on something, because cultural trends usually operate in a pretty roundabout fashion in the first place. It's why, say, I could write a piece specifically evocative of Halo 3's soundtrack's production values twenty years from the launch of the Halo 3 soundtrack and make it still sound reminiscent despite being from a completely different time. It's also why certain genres make comebacks or at least receive belated love letters, like disco got with Random Access Memories. "Dated" isn't really as negative a connotation if you break it down into technical building blocks. Saying you don't get how people can call stuff dated is basically saying the concept of cultural shift is superfluous to you.

Very well put. I can tell you're a musician :p Also I just checkout out your two new songs. Great stuff man. Loving it.

Here's a shitty comparison that I mocked up between the Xbox One version (L) and the Xbox 360 version (R) of Halo 3.

ATXIBTO.jpg

The lighting alone is a vast improvement. Though you really have to see it in action to get a feel for it. Picture just doesn't seem to do it justice. Thanks for sharing!

Omni

Here's a shitty comparison that I mocked up between the Xbox One version (L) and the Xbox 360 version (R) of Halo 3.

ATXIBTO.jpg

I swear when I was watching the preview of the Halo 3 campaign demo that the water in the game didn't react to the Grunts walking through it

Hard to see due to compression. But I'm sure it looked different to what it was before though

I feel like 1080p improvements for Halo 3 and 4 are going to be one of those things I won't really be able to appreciate until I have a controller in my hands.

blamite

I know 1080p H3 is gonna look great, but i have to admit I'm a tiny it disappointed after seeing it in (potato-quality stream recording) action, as until now I had still been clinging to the totally irrational hope that the awful FOV would get improved. H3 is one on my favorite games, but after playing Reach, or even H4, it's hard to go back to 3 just because camera control feels so much worse in comparison.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
This has been a really cool, Halo filled weekend so far, even if I'm just experiencing it all from my computer.

Kibbles

Hopefully everything is working well tomorrow so there are no cutoffs. Goldenboy said they were going to start early tomorrow but I don't think he mentioned a time, anyone know??

nillapuddin

Just watched the panel, that was freaking great.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ FORGE! ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Sounds like they have a fantastic plan for the community

I will volunteer myself to do the first Forge remake spotlight, who wants to see Bravo interview me over Kinect about another nilla based Turf for the third time?!?!

Bravo: Nilla, y u do dis?

Me: "I stand before you accused of a sin of ensuring real time shadows ascendancy. Of attempting to save us from this fate where we are forced to....recede. Gray-forge pallets stand as the greatest threat in the galaxy. Refusing to eradicate them is a fool's gambit. We squander eons in the darkness, while Farcry seize our triumphs as their own. The communities responsibility for all things Turf belongs to me alone. Think my acts as you will, but do not doubt the reality. The reforging has already begun, and we are hopeless to stop it."

b69db0d4-1f76-429e-8eb7-0a56f60f2e13_zps1af04d18.png
->
clZpWzw.png
-> ???

max, please understand I need interactive forge pieces, nobody likes the static walkways and doors.

Top Bottom