• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Yeah, I could do that. But I was asking if there was another one so I could hear the actual game and not the commentary. There's no need to get snippy.
This is the only stream. And I'm not getting snippy. Being matter of fact. But if that bothers you then that's your hang up not mine.

Competitive halo has always been this way.

Also, will we have to be connect ted to xbl to play LAN? Cuz that's kinda shit.

dwells

So I just got around to watching the PAX panel and then that CTF stream, here's my take:

Halo CE
  • Disappointed in the lack of details, but glad to hear we'll be seeing more next month.
  • Nice to see instant switching confirmed.
Halo 2 Anniversary Campaign
  • Re-recording the audio and soundtrack feels like change for the sake of change - it's not like visuals where massive improvements have occurred over the past few years.
  • That said, the code changes to the 3D sound space with echoes, pitch changes over distance, environmental layout impacting audio, etc. are fantastic and really contribute to immersion in my opinion.
  • Would it have been so hard to just be upfront about the Breaking Benjamin and Incubus songs and say "yeah, they're not in the new version due to licensing/contracting issues?"
  • More details about the classic version of the campaign would be nice, if any fixes/changes are being made, if we'll be getting higher quality original assets, etc.
Halo 2 Anniversary Multiplayer
  • Forge improvements are good. Hopefully effort will be made to allow for visual improvements as well - Forge maps in the previous games had the major issue of looking bland and with flat lighting that really took away from the experience.
  • I can't see the stalactites impacting Lockout that much - chances are everyone's just going to shoot them down in the beginning of the game.
  • I get that they were trying to do something different with Lockout and doing the whole sunrise/sunset color palette thing (orange being a complementary color to blue, right across on the color wheel, etc.), but I just don't think it looks good.
Halo 3
  • Interesting to hear they're making visual improvements, but we really need some good, high-quality direct feed videos to actually be able to observe them.
  • Similarly, more specific detail on those visual improvements is needed.
Halo 4
  • Based on the limited information that was given, it sounds like no visual changes are improvements are being made, just the resolution and framerate bump.
Misc. Panel Comments
  • I really wish the multiplayer portions of the original games would get addressed. There's so much we need to know about them - graphical changes, netcode adjustments, what's being done with Halo CE in bringing it to Xbox Live for the first time, rankings and playlists, etc. We've gotten very, very little detail on all this, and it's the main reason I'm buying the collection and an Xbox One.
  • The Q&A section was difficult to watch due to how awkward it was. It's like they screen the askers ahead of time and only pick the most socially awkward ones.
  • Frankie's mixed accent is interesting, it almost sounds like a Vancouver-area accent at times.
H2A Touranment Stream
  • Still not a fan of loadouts and Halo 2 being anywhere near each other.
  • Not feeling the fast flag run speed - I think flag tossing is a huge, huge part of Halo 2 CTF.
  • I'm surprised the kill/death reports being duplicated in the feed wasn't patched prior to this build being shown to the public.
  • The commentators constantly criticizing the players for a while there got annoying.
  • Enemy team spawning in rocks when running the flag through rocks is the bane of my existence.

Akai__

I haven't even tried my Astros on my xbox one, do I need to buy that dumb adapter Microsoft released? Kinda sucks because I can just plug it into the USB of my PS4 and it just works.

Yes, you will need it. There are also some other settings which you will need to disable/enable. Check out their tutorial video on YouTube.

Excellent comeback by Excellence!

Halo 2 Anniversary Multiplayer
  • Forge improvements are good. Hopefully effort will be made to allow for visual improvements as well - Forge maps in the previous games had the major issue of looking bland and with flat lighting that really took away from the experience.
  • I can't see the stalactites impacting Lockout that much - chances are everyone's just going to shoot them down in the beginning of the game.
  • I get that they were trying to do something different with Lockout and doing the whole sunrise/sunset color palette thing (orange being a complementary color to blue, right across on the color wheel, etc.), but I just don't think it looks good.
Pretty sure from watching the matches the stalactites respawn.

Onikaan

I have a couple of questions about H2A:

1. Is the plasma pistol homing reduced in comparison to Halo 2?
2. Can you still lunge with the sword without having it out completely like in Halo 2?

3. Has the Carbine been given a buff in comparison to Halo 2's Carbine?

Can confirm this is true. Someone did it yesterday in the tourney.

HTupolev

Halo 4
  • Based on the limited information that was given, it sounds like no visual changes are improvements are being made, just the resolution and framerate bump.
Really? I got the sense they were tweaking things in Halo 4 as well.

The game's visuals certainly have a ton of opportunity for improvements here and there. Like implement dynamic spotlights so that vehicles don't have to have ridiculous pointlight headlights. I don't know how much they want to "change" things in that sense though, or if they're mostly just tuning up what's there to be smoother and more precise.

Fuchsdh

Really? I got the sense they were tweaking things in Halo 4 as well.

The game's visuals certainly have a ton of opportunity for improvements here and there. Like implement dynamic spotlights so that vehicles don't have to have ridiculous pointlight headlights. I don't know how much they want to "change" things in that sense though, or if they're mostly just tuning up what's there to be smoother and more precise.

We got confirmation during the panel at least the lighting in Halo 4 was getting a tweak.

iIJXPg4kQXdRN.gif

crying-cat.gif

awwwww

darthbob

Agreed.

Backsmackpaddysmackashottyhottybeaniesandsuites!

But yeah this stream is great, feels like Halo is back to how it should be.

lolok, I'd say that Bravo's casting is superior, but Ghost is like the Jerry Lawler to Bravo's JR.

BAH GAWD GHOST THE HUMANITY

defghik

I'm not sure H2A could really be used as a competitive game because the map selection is so limited. Sanctuary and Lockout are the only maps that can really be used in a tournament setting (no, Ascension definitely doesn't count). I know there's Forge, but if the majority of H2A competitive maps were Forged (and it would have to be a majority, competitive Halo has always been at least 5 maps), that would be super boring to look at.

Top Bottom