• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

VinFTW

So, Halo 2A looks incredible. Couple of things I would really like to be addressed by launch though (because I know it's WiP):

1.) No more hit marker for grenades. This leads to a bigger gameplay change than I thought it would (love the hit markers for guns though) with scouting/fishing happening. Maybe increase the glow from grenades like Halo 2 had so you know they're close.

2.) The shake of the screen for grenades is WAY too overkill. It's nuts! Definitely need to lessen that.

3.) (This is more of a feedback for Halo 5) The aesthetic of forerunner/metal/sheen look is getting a little old. New Sanctuary has this awesome jungle look. The Halo 5: G beta first look showed off some more environments and already the industrial/metal look is apparent. Really would love to see more stuff like Burial Mounds, Relic, etc.

TheOddOne

ib7vfcmuOp77c.gif

Madness

No radar makes shit so much more intense

Yup, it's why no radar is always a hallmark of real competitive play. But you always have people complain that radar should always be there. I mean it's tough to remove for the average player because they get so dependent on it.

Some more feedback for H2A release:

The "You killed" etc should be color coordinated.
Adding to this, more information through different tenses. Also, team mates should be listed first in the feed. For example:

Red 1 killed Blue 1
Red 1 was killed by Blue 2
You killed Blue 2
You were killed by Blue 3

I think Reach might have done this?

VinFTW

Adding to this, more information through different tenses. Also, team mates should be listed first in the feed. For example:

Red 1 killed Blue 1
You killed Blue 2

I think you're right actually. I'll have to go check.

I think you're right actually. I'll have to go check.
I know I remember it from somewhere, beside I thought the "killed/was killed by" distinction was a simple and effective way of distinguishing teammates/opponents in the kill feed.

Alternatively, and more to what you described, the names can just be colored (so no preferential placement in subject or predicate.) With this, the addition of weapon icons to denote kills can be implemented.

-Ryn

Banned
I just hope they bring back the player cursors showing combat status for Halo 5.
Not sure if it's in the MCC but that and Red X's were such weird things to get rid of in 4.

jem0208

Red 1 killed Blue 1
You killed Blue 2

I disagree with putting your teammates first. I think the sentence structure should be the same for each line to make seeing who killed who much easier. E.g:

Red 1 killed Blue 1
Blue 2 killed Red 1
You killed Blue 2
Blue 3 killed You

This way you would only have to read the names rather than the full sentence. Would make scanning through the info much faster. Colour coding the names would be a more effective way of distinguishing between team mates and enemies imo.

VinFTW

I just hope they bring back the player cursors showing combat status for Halo 5.
Not sure if it's in the MCC but that and Red X's were such weird things to get rid of in 4.

Seriously this. For me, this was such a small but revolutionary thing in Halo 2. Yellow for shooting, orange for taking dmg (or red?), X for dead, etc. Loved it.

Maybe making medals dynamic, flashier, or have a sound upon kill (like the chirp from Killzone) would be awesome.

Karl2177

Some more feedback for H2A release:

The "You killed" etc should be color coordinated.

There's a slight issue with this. Do you color it based on team color or the standard ally/friendly color? Let's assume you and I are on red team and I kill Frankie on the blue team, and the following image represents the kill feed.

gVBcbXD.jpg

If it's color coordinated based on team colors, then the top one is going to seem correct. The downside to this is that enemies are generally red, and I am shown in red, potentially saying that I am an enemy. The bottom one seems more correct based on who is an ally, but not if you're basing it on team colors.

Earlier games made this easier on the player by using different phrasing based on if it was an ally or an enemy getting killed. A quick example is "Karl2177 was killed by Frankie" "Karl2177 killed Frankie" for an ally dying or an enemy dying respectively.

jem0208

There's a slight issue with this. Do you color it based on team color or the standard ally/friendly color? Let's assume you and I are on red team and I kill Frankie on the blue team, and the following image represents the kill feed.

gVBcbXD.jpg

If it's color coordinated based on team colors, then the top one is going to seem correct. The downside to this is that enemies are generally red, and I am shown in red, potentially saying that I am an enemy. The bottom one seems more correct based on who is an ally, but not if you're basing it on team colors.

Earlier games made this easier on the player by using different phrasing based on if it was an ally or an enemy getting killed. A quick example is "Karl2177 was killed by Frankie" "Karl2177 killed Frankie" for an ally dying or an enemy dying respectively.

I feel like you should be able to instantly differentiate between your team colour and the enemies.

It is kinda funny coming back to Halo after playing TF2/CS:GO/Gears 3 with the standard team colors and icons, and its white text and I'm like "wait is that guy on a team or ok"

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
As with many UI / visual feedback matters, Reach nailed it. The different shades of blue and purple used to indicated team mates were in combat in Halo 4 were totally inadequate.

VinFTW

gVBcbXD.jpg

Man, touche. Good point.

I'm thinking more everybody on your team is Green and everybody on the opposite team, regardless if they are the blue team, is red.

It's almost as if it's second nature like the reticule (mouse over a friendly? Green. mouse over an enemy? Red).

Karl2177

I feel like you should be able to instantly differentiate between your team colour and the enemies.

While you would think it is instantaneous, people associate red with bad and blue with good. Halo 4 brings up a massive game complete screen based on your team color. Even I still get surprised when I see red pop up at the end in victory on red team.

gVBcbXD.jpg

don't see the issue, people should know what color team they're on.

Top Bottom