• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

I disagree with putting your teammates first. I think the sentence structure should be the same for each line to make seeing who killed who much easier. E.g:

Red 1 killed Blue 1
Blue 2 killed Red 1
You killed Blue 2
Blue 3 killed You

This way you would only have to read the names rather than the full sentence. Would make scanning through the info much faster. Colour coding the names would be a more effective way of distinguishing between team mates and enemies imo.
That's exactly how it is now in this tournament. As an observer, I have no way to distinguish teams from the feed. Coloring would remedy this, but you encounter the problem Karl describes.

Changing the sentence structure isn't as bad as you describe. The way we read phrases and sentences isn't really word by word as you would imply. That difference in sentence structure (killed/was killed by) is actually very easy to destinguish at a glance.

In any case, we can all agree the way it is now is lacking in information and should be changed.

-Ryn

Banned
Seriously this. For me, this was such a small but revolutionary thing in Halo 2. Yellow for shooting, orange for taking dmg (or red?), X for dead, etc. Loved it.

Maybe making medals dynamic, flashier, or have a sound upon kill (like the chirp from Killzone) would be awesome.
As with many UI / visual feedback matters, Reach nailed it. The different shades of blue and purple used to indicated team mates were in combat in Halo 4 were totally inadequate.
Reach is still my favorite game in terms of player feedback. I'm not sure how they could really improve it (though I'm sure there are ways).

The medals were fine until 4 in which they were turned into tiny generic dots. I haven't played Killzone much so I don't know much there.

Tashi kawaii cam.

i4iPnK3MxJaff.gif
puking_rainbows_gravity_falls_looped.gif

VinFTW

Reach is still my favorite game in terms of player feedback. I'm not sure how they could really improve it (though I'm sure there are ways).

The medals were fine until 4 in which they were turned into tiny generic dots. I haven't played Killzone much so I don't know much there.

puking_rainbows_gravity_falls_looped.gif

Yeah I'm a HUGE fan of Reach aesthetics, especially the party lobby. My god... perfection. I hated Halo 4's UI/lobby.

I also have to say, I'm LOVING the H2A sniper and BR. I was SO sad to see the H4 BR return for H5 :(

Madness

Hopefully they can fix this grenade screen shake before launch/going gold, or at least tone the effect down severely. When you're holding a room and the nades are flying, it's like a 9.0 earthquake happening non-stop.

dwells

Watching the stream, you can see that Lockout plays like it always did - poorly for TS. Same standoffy gameplay where a one or tow kill lead just grows gradually over the course of the game.

jem0208

That's exactly how it is now in this tournament. As an observer, I have no way to distinguish teams from the feed. Coloring would remedy this, but you encounter the problem Karl describes.

Changing the sentence structure isn't as bad as you describe. The way we read phrases and sentences isn't really word by word as you would imply. That difference in sentence structure (killed/was killed by) is actually very easy to destinguish at a glance.

In any case, we can all agree the way it is now is lacking in information and should be changed.

I feel like using colour would be more effective than a different sentence structure though. I've played a lot of Halo and I don't have a clue which structure relates to my team getting a kill and the enemy team getting a kill.

Although you could just have both. I quite like the neatness that comes with only a single structure though... :p

While you would think it is instantaneous, people associate red with bad and blue with good. Halo 4 brings up a massive game complete screen based on your team color. Even I still get surprised when I see red pop up at the end in victory on red team.

I've never really ran into this issue. The only time I have ever had a problem with team colours was when I was auto team switched in a different game. Although I can see why people might have an initial issue with it.

It definitely shouldn't be a problem in a tournament setting though.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully they can fix this grenade screen shake before launch/going gold, or at least tone the effect down severely. When you're holding a room and the nades are flying, it's like a 9.0 earthquake happening non-stop.
Especially with everyone having up to eight grenades. No bueno.

Ramirez

Not speaking for a pro gametype, but 1 Flag on Lockout was always my favorite, sheer insanity once the flag got near the BR tower. And the heartbreak of dropping it off he map, hah.

I feel like using colour would be more effective than a different sentence structure though. I've played a lot of Halo and I don't have a clue which structure relates to my team getting a kill and the enemy team getting a kill.

Although you could just have both. I quite like the neatness that comes with only a single structure though... :p

I've never really ran into this issue. The only time I have ever had a problem with team colours was when I was auto team switched in a different game. Although I can see why people might have an initial issue with it.

It definitely shouldn't be a problem in a tournament setting though.
Either way, I think the ideal set-up would be team colored names with weapon icons to denote kills.

Kibbles

A friend is over watching with me and we were just saying this. Pretty ridiculous.

Cow

I'm really excited for November, I finished uni either the day MCC comes out or one week after. I have a group of 5-6 friends who are planning on buying an XB1 just for MCC, can't wait! MCC is going to ship consoles, 343 have redeemed themselves after Halo 4.

Hoping the last map is a small map, would love Beaver Creek or Warlock, though wouldn't mind colossus. It would be nice if we could get a few more maps than 6 for H2A, I'm just worried it's going to get repetitive.

Does anyone know when the last map will be announced?

I'm really excited for November, I finished uni either the day MCC comes out or one week after. I have a group of 5-6 friends who are planning on buying an XB1 just for MCC, can't wait! MCC is going to ship consoles, 343 have redeemed themselves after Halo 4.

Hoping the last map is a small map, would love Beaver Creek or Warlock, though wouldn't mind colossus. It would be nice if we could get a few more maps than 6 for H2A, I'm just worried it's going to get repetitive.

Does anyone know when the last map will be announced?

Last map is probably big, since we've already gotten 2 small and 2 midsize maps announced, and only one btb sized one (Coag).

As to announcement date, that's something of a mystery. The last really big show of the year is TGS, but announcing Halo stuff there would be... odd.

VinFTW

Last map is probably big, since we've already gotten 2 small and 2 midsize maps announced, and only one btb sized one (Coag).

As to announcement date, that's something of a mystery. The last really big show of the year is TGS, but announcing Halo stuff there would be... odd.

Isn't there another Pax or Comic-Con or something?

Top Bottom