• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Omni

So who else doesn't want to play the H2A maps at all? They have all the secondary and tertiary crap that made halo 4 suck like the lighting and sound effects. Just give me a halo 2/3 playlist. They were the best games. CE can have one too, 4 can just get deleted for all I care.
The lighting?

nillapuddin

6 maps isn't enough

Because of forge, plenty of other Halo 2 inspired levels will show up. Now, how good they will look is tbd, but I know they will play well.

Edit:
Can't wait to learn about the interactive elements, I hope they are versatile. It'd be fun to do my remakes, then try and pull a certain affinity and add something dynamic in.

So who else doesn't want to play the H2A maps at all? They have all the secondary and tertiary crap that made halo 4 suck like the lighting and sound effects. Just give me a halo 2/3 playlist. They were the best games. CE can have one too, 4 can just get deleted for all I care.

Not me. The stuff that made halo 4 maps suck wasn't lighting and sound effects, it was sucky map design. That's (clearly) not the case here.

Besides. I like the new sound effects.

Quality over quantity IMO. Reach was just about perfect.

I doubt Sangheili will be playable in Halo 5 though. Halo 4 seemed like a transition between enemy sets. I feel like they're really going to flesh out the Forerunners (and non-forerunner Prometheans) in Halo 5.

Maybe Locke will be playable in multiplayer?

I don't know about that. With the return of the Arbiter as a friendly it seems pretty likely to me that Elites will be playable again.

I don't know about that. With the return of the Arbiter as a friendly it seems pretty likely to me that Elites will be playable again.

Pretty much this. If they keep the "framework" from 4 (multiplayer as Spartan wargames), you could easily slot in Elites by saying that there's a detachment accompanying whatever group we're supposed to be playing as. I'd actually argue that it makes it more likely, not less.

The existence of the maps doesn't bother me so much as that its completely different mechanically with the added weapons and lack of button combos/weapon glitches.

Hopefully it doesn't hurt the H2 community and we still get people playing the original mp.

The stuff that made Halo 4 suck was not the lighting and sounds, it was the bullshit gameplay stuff like sprint and ordnance stapled onto Halo's gameplay. Also the sounds and aesthetics are a huge step up from Halo 4.

Karl2177

The stuff that made Halo 4 suck was not the lighting and sounds, it was the bullshit gameplay stuff like sprint and ordnance stapled onto Halo's gameplay. Also the sounds and aesthetics are a huge step up from Halo 4.
That's why he said secondary and tertiary crap. The basic gameplay is primary, but stuff like the sound design of Forerunner things isn't primary, but still questionable.

Booties

Banned
I'll admit I'm primarily going to play Halo 2/3 but I will happily play H2A purely because it looks great and it'll have the updated Forge stuff for me to have fun with.

I'll play it for the sake of trying it, but I'm not looking forward to it. I'm also not a forger.

The lighting?

Poop-grain filter and such. The hazey blue/red air in Halo 4 maps was p bad.

Not me. The stuff that made halo 4 maps suck wasn't lighting and sound effects, it was sucky map design. That's (clearly) not the case here.

Besides. I like the new sound effects.

I played a lot of Halo 3 this weekend and the BR sounds so much better. The AR on the other hand, lol, no way.

The existence of the maps doesn't bother me so much as that its completely different mechanically with the added weapons and lack of button combos/weapon glitches.

Hopefully it doesn't hurt the H2 community and we still get people playing the original mp.

I think everyone will revert to H2/H3 eventually.

Ummmm, you should buy a dictionary and look up "secondary" and "tertiary". TIA.

Pretty much this. If they keep the "framework" from 4 (multiplayer as Spartan wargames), you could easily slot in Elites by saying that there's a detachment accompanying whatever group we're supposed to be playing as. I'd actually argue that it makes it more likely, not less.

I'll be honest, I completely brain farted and forgot Arby was in that teaser. Ignore that post.

The lighting?

No idea how one can disapprove Halo 4's lighting. The rendering pipeline from that game is incredible to do what it does on 360 hardware. Huge props to Corrinne Yu and the team for that. APPRECIATE THE MATHEMATICS!

Booties

Banned
I also don't think the lighting and sound are the ONLY secondary/tertiary things that made halo 4 bad, they are just the first two that popped into my head.

Tawpgun

I really want to try out halo ce with a controller. I played a shitton of ce back in the day but it was the PC version. Was really
Good at it too.

I think I did like one 1v1 against a friend on console

Sephzilla

I'm guessing 343 would prefer you move onto their newer game as opposed to playing their older one.

badnewsbarrett-png.2170

Unless the Halo 5 beta exceeds my expectations, I highly doubt I'll drop Halo 1 and Halo 2 for Halo 5.

I know I've said this in other threads, but they're missing an opportunity if they don't make the rest of Halo 2's maps DLC. Plus considering all of the work they seem to have put into H2A and how they've been pimping the multiplayer, it seems like a waste to limit it to just a handful of maps.

Vico

That's actually what I'll play the most, I think. Sometimes it feeling new and fresh is enough to keep me entertained.

Homeboyd

Played some H2A matches this weekend. Maps are gorgeous, game plays great, SMG starts... Oh
Was it just Lockout and Sanctuary available at PAX? Have we seen any Zanzibar gameplay yet?

Also, what is the next event where they would show off Coag/Forge and the next map or are we expecting them to hold this close to chest until launch?

Ummmm, you should buy a dictionary and look up "secondary" and "tertiary". TIA.

No, my point stands as is, the lighting and sounds of Halo 4 didn't make the game suck. Lighting was fine and sounds were annoying, but far from terrible and when you remove the REAL problems of Halo 4 the sound effects are a minor complaint, but even then the sounds in H2AMP are MUCH better than Halo 4.

HTupolev

No idea how one can disapprove Halo 4's lighting. The rendering pipeline from that game is incredible to do what it does on 360 hardware. Huge props to Corrinne Yu and the team for that. APPRECIATE THE MATHEMATICS!
Halo 4 usually manages a pretty decent-looking response to environmental lighting, and dynamic object shadows typically interact more realistically with environmental shade than in Halo's 3 and Reach.

But.

The HDR depth is trash for what the game is trying to do in places, and the approximation the game uses for bloom convolution is a pretty ugly haze.
Although Halo 4 supports a large number of dynamic light sources, the dynamic lights are easily the worst in the entire series. No specularity? Even Halo 1 manages a greyscale normal-mapped specularity model for environmental surfaces! No spotlights? Is this an N64 game!?
On the artistic side of things, Halo 4's designers mostly used a hazy monochrome appearance, and usually the only significant chromatic contrast is garish tron lines.

If I want to "appreciate the mathematics", I'll load up Halo 3, hop in a mongoose, and watch dat real-time Cook-Torrance light play off of Covenant equipment.

No, my point stands as is, the lighting and sounds of Halo 4 didn't make the game suck. Lighting was fine and sounds were annoying, but far from terrible and when you remove the REAL problems of Halo 4 the sound effects are a minor complaint, but even then the sounds in H2AMP are MUCH better than Halo 4.
If Reach never would have happened and polluted us with a couple years of AA's and loadouts, Halo 3 would probably be the "worst" Halo game in the series IMO. The fact that Halo 4 happened after Halo Reach though is what puts it in the running for least-best game (and mind you, this is what we're really talking about here.. "least-best" Halo game because in reality, Halo games are some of the best shooters around).

To put it short, Halo 3 was a big mistake after 3 years of Halo 2 because the game should've been tighter, faster and generally more badass, but we saw the opposite in many cases with slower movement, deliberately inconsistent weapons and overall sluggish gameplay. Reach was chancing a new direction and it was Bungie's swan song for the franchise, so it's not as "offensive" as Halo 3 IMO. Halo 4 though.. after 2 years of 99.9% of people hating the Camo AA only for it to return as a permanent loadout AA in Halo 4 is just mind boggling lol. If Reach never happened, Halo 4 would've been more fun than just for a few months, population wise at least.

I'm genuinely curious to see where people flock to in multiplayer granted each game has solid networking. Being able to compare each game instantly is going to be so fun! Will people hate Halo 3 after playing several games of Halo CE and Halo 2? Will people even play Halo 4? Will The Great Pistol Debate continue? Only time will tell!

Just got activated and wanted to subscribe to this community. I missed the previous release of halo on the xbox/360 and am jumping on with this collection and was hoping to see you guys online.

XBL: FadedRevolution

jem0208

Corrinne Yu worked on tools apparently. Not the actual graphics.

How's the flow to it, steely? And which maps did you get to play on?

Was it just Lockout and Sanctuary available at PAX? Have we seen any Zanzibar gameplay yet?

Also, what is the next event where they would show off Coag/Forge and the next map or are we expecting them to hold this close to chest until launch?
I played Sanctuary and Lockout, but they had Ascension there as well. They've done a good job making the mechanics halo 2 with the anniversary version, although I'm sure the aiming is a bit different (without having played H2 in a while). The movement and all the jumps are just like you'd expect though. 60 frames is great of course.
Why is this still a thing!?
Apparently Bungie stating that SMG starts were a mistake wasn't enough.

[-] How long have you been a member of NeoGAF? How long have you lurked?
I've been a member for a few months but just got activated recently. I have lurked for about a year or two

[-] How old are you? What country or state are you posting from?
I am 24 and I am in Oklahoma
[-] How long have you been a Halo fan? Have you played all the games?
I've never owned an xbox until the One. So the Mcc will be my intro into the Halo games. Have played halo 2/3 with friends.
[-] What mode do you spend most of your time in? (i.e. Multiplayer, Campaign, Forge, Firefight, Theater)
Multiplayer
[-] What is your favorite playlist? (i.e. MLG, Action Sack)
Not too well-versed on the playlists
[-] AR or BR?
BR
[-] Highest Halo 3 level and what playlist?
None
[-] Favorite Halo 2 map?
Lockout
[-] Favorite all-time Halo map?
Lockout
[-] Other Halo sites/forums you have been a member of.
None
[-] Any other games you spend a lot of time playing.
Marvel 3, KI, Marvel 2,
[-] Personal bio stuff. (occupation/hobbies/etc.)

Sephzilla

For smaller maps I'm 100% okay with SMG starts being a thing. SMG starts on larger maps are when things start to get a little stupid.

Sephzilla

Auto weapon starts on any size map is just ZzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZzzzZZzz

Such boring gameplay.

Giving everyone arguably the best gun in the game at start sounds equally as lazy to me.

Like I said, SMG on small maps seems fine to me. Different weapons are usually pretty close by if you want to switch, and the SMG is still viable on smaller levels.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Giving everyone arguably the best gun in the game at start sounds equally as lazy to me.

Like I said, SMG on small maps seems fine to me. Different weapons are usually pretty close by if you want to switch, and the SMG is still viable on smaller levels.
Lazy? We're talking about fun and interesting, not lazy.

Sephzilla

Lazy? We're talking about fun and interesting, not lazy.

Ok, I'll give you that.

I dunno, I don't have anything against BR starts but I don't see a huge issue with SMG starts on certain maps. I think SMG starts are there to encourage dual wielding (because I'm pretty sure dual wielding would die entirely if you didn't already have one half of a dual wielding combo at the start). Best option would be BR start, SMG secondary weapon maybe.

Tawpgun

But using the DMR is just Zzzzzzz too

Firefights with automatic weapons are SOOOOO boring through. You barely need to aim and you just pull the trigger.

At least with the precision weapons there's a much bigger chance for outplaying and big plays

Top Bottom