• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Booties

Banned
No, my point stands as is, the lighting and sounds of Halo 4 didn't make the game suck. Lighting was fine and sounds were annoying, but far from terrible and when you remove the REAL problems of Halo 4 the sound effects are a minor complaint, but even then the sounds in H2AMP are MUCH better than Halo 4.

Dude I'm just saying that h2a is taking a sentence out of a page out of the book of shit that is halo 4. You are actually supporting what I said when you say "they aren't what made the game suck, they were just annoying"

And the sound was objectively bad in halo 4. Metallic grating shit, regen sound getting stuck for the rest of the match, random decompression of music and other effects.

jem0208

Dude I'm just saying that h2a is taking a sentence out of a page out of the book of shit that is halo 4. You are actually supporting what I said when you say "they aren't what made the game suck, they were just annoying"

And the sound was objectively bad in halo 4. Metallic grating shit, regen sound getting stuck for the rest of the match, random decompression of music and other effects.

Huh? What was wrong with 4's sound?

I thought it was pretty great on the whole. Weapons sound far meatier in 4 than any of the other games. Before 4 everything sounded like a bb gun or a pea shooter.

Or are we just complaining about anything which is slightly different in 4?

Sephzilla

Firefights with automatic weapons are SOOOOO boring through. You barely need to aim and you just pull the trigger.

At least with the precision weapons there's a much bigger chance for outplaying and big plays

I actually agree with you on both points. But I know plenty of people who love automatic weapons, I'd feel like kind of a dick of I straight up said "the way you like guns is bad".

no, that's just horrific game design.

wat?

I wonder who took home the old popcorn maker they used for the original Halo 2 SMG sounds.

lol yeah. the halo 2 smg sounds awful

VinFTW

So, am I the only one who thinks that there's room for an automatic-BR. Say, similar to the Auto-rifle in Destiny?

Balanced of course, while not being too easy compared to the BR. Sort of like an in between to the AR and BR/DMR.

edit: with enough recoil where it actually takes some skill to use.

BigShow36

I actually agree with you on both points. But I know plenty of people who love automatic weapons, I'd feel like kind of a dick of I straight up said "the way you like guns is bad".

And plenty of people love Rockets; that doesn't mean everyone should start with them. It's not a question of preference, it's a question of balancing the game for a multiplayer environment. Granted, the ridiculous aim assists of Halo 2 makes starting with the BR problematic, but its the best option given the sandbox.

Sephzilla

So, am I the only one who thinks that there's room for an automatic-BR. Say, similar to the Auto-rifle in Destiny?

Balanced of course, while not being too easy compared to the BR. Sort of like an in between to the AR and BR/DMR.

Between the BR, DMR, Sniper, Covie Sniper, Pistol, Carbine, and Needle Rifle I honestly think Halo has plenty of precision weapons and I'm not sure we need something that's a hybrid type weapon. If anything Halo could maybe use another automatic weapon or two that are actually viable.

And plenty of people love Rockets; that doesn't mean everyone should start with them. It's not a question of preference, it's a question of balancing the game for a multiplayer environment. Granted, the ridiculous aim assists of Halo 2 makes starting with the BR problematic, but its the best option given the sandbox.

Again, not disagreeing here at all.

The main problem with SMG starts in general is that they're a vastly underpowered weapon. I think AR starts in H2A would be a better alternative. (AR's are still a thing for H2A right?)

BigShow36

Again, not disagreeing here at all.

The main problem with SMG starts in general is that they're a vastly underpowered weapon. I think AR starts in H2A would be a better alternative. (AR's are still a thing for H2A right?)

My point was that it's not dickish to tell someone, "I understand you enjoy this weapon, but for the sake of creating a balanced game we're going to start everyone with this weapon."

Sephzilla

My point was that it's not dickish to tell someone, "I understand you enjoy this weapon, but for the sake of creating a balanced game we're going to start everyone with this weapon."

Yep, I understood what you were getting at. Like I said, the main problem was that the SMG as a standalone weapon wasn't great on anything but close quarters maps (and even then you usually had to dual wield it with something else).

Tawpgun

wat?

lol yeah. the halo 2 smg sounds awful

The way they like guns IS bad.

We should round up everyone that likes automatic weapon starts and put them in.... a different hopper

antigoon

I think it's time for the Halo series to monetise customisation items for your character instead of paying for DLC maps.

If done right, revenue should be coming in at a consistent basis (people need to be paid for their work after all), and the biggest upside being the community gets to enjoy the maps without being split.

Killzone SF and PvZ are the only two non F2P (that I can think of) titles that have done it so far, maybe TLOU, as the maps are free but after internet outrage.

This is really important and I think most players would welcome an implementation of it that is done well. The fragmentation that DLC causes is pretty awful.

Buwx

Unless the Halo 5 beta exceeds my expectations, I highly doubt I'll drop Halo 1 and Halo 2 for Halo 5.

I know I've said this in other threads, but they're missing an opportunity if they don't make the rest of Halo 2's maps DLC. Plus considering all of the work they seem to have put into H2A and how they've been pimping the multiplayer, it seems like a waste to limit it to just a handful of maps.

At a quick glance, I didn't see that anyone posted this, and it is sorta old... But eh.

http://teambeyond.net/halo-2-anniversary-dlc-possible/

Bonnie Ross said:

“As for the DLC question – right now we don’t have any plans for DLC… but we’ve been asked this a lot. As soon as you guys find out what the last two maps are, let us know what you think and we’ll see what we can do.”

Ramirez

Halo 2 Anniversary Weapon Audio

The only original sound I absolutely prefer is the sword activation. I favor the old rocket sound, PP and maybe sniper, but I don't mind the new ones. The reports for the other weapons are clearly superior in H2A, however.

Those are great, only one I don't like is the sniper, it sounds so similar to the Halo 4 shotgun.

SMG starts

RDlAARw.jpg

To put it short, Halo 3 was a big mistake after 3 years of Halo 2 because the game should've been tighter, faster and generally more badass, but we saw the opposite in many cases with slower movement, deliberately inconsistent weapons and overall sluggish gameplay.

I've been saying this for years now. The biggest offender to the series was easily 3. It was simply an inferior game mechanically to H2 (multiplayer wise) with inferior maps. Personally I found the multiplayer to be pretty close to unplayable as an H2 vet.

If it weren't for armor abilities and that terrible DMR Reach would have been a return to form in many ways.

antigoon

I've been saying this for years now. The biggest offender to the series was easily 3. It was simply an inferior game mechanically to H2 (multiplayer wise) with inferior maps. Personally I found the multiplayer to be pretty close to unplayable as an H2 vet.

If it weren't for armor abilities and that terrible DMR Reach would have been a return to form in many ways.

Agreed 100%. The game still ended up being pretty fun for me but it was a clear step backwards in so many little ways.That was the consensus, at least in the groups I rolled with.

I find it comical to champion Halo 2 with its insane aim assist, and trash Halo 3 in the same sentence.

How big of a detail is the aim assist when the better BR won the majority of encounters regardless, especially when the risk/reward option of the double shot jumped on the scene.

The AR in Halo 3 might have been even worse.
In retrospect it sounds adorable lol, especially that little reload snap :b
I find it comical to champion Halo 2 with its insane aim assist, and trash Halo 3 in the same sentence.
Depends on the context really. Halo 2 had better maps, better gunplay (in terms of consistency, especially on LAN since both games didn't have the greatest netcode), and just generally more fun despite the insane amounts of aim assist, whereas Halo 3 took away hitscan and made spread even worse, had worse maps and overall weaker gameplay.

If only CE had the opportunity to receive updates/patches and DLC. Red X's and ingame clocks for example, obvious improvements made since CE that may deter players from staying with it once TMCC launches

As a purely objective player...

1 flag relic
2 flag sanc
1 flag, one bomb terminal
Neutral bomb containment
2 flag, king midship
2 flag, neutral bomb waterworks
Oddball Ivory tower
King lockout
1 flag, 1 bomb Zanzibar
1 flag burial mound
King ascension
1 flag, 1 bomb headlong
King beaver creek

Worth the price of admission alone.
...says the manchild whose parents bought him an xbone.

will your parents adopt me?

HTupolev

Huh? What was wrong with 4's sound?

I thought it was pretty great on the whole. Weapons sound far meatier in 4 than any of the other games.
They sound meatier because everything* has been punched up. Sounds are individually powerful, but it's hard for especially powerful events to stand out (it's similar to the issue with the balance between elements in music suffering from the Loudness War), and the resulting soundscape isn't clean.

*Except for the plasma staplers, which are awful for their own reasons.

Onikaan

Well said.

Totally agree.

VinFTW

I too think Halo 3 was a step backwards from Halo 2. It felt so much slower.

I don't condone sprint in arena style/competitive matches as it changes everything for the worse TOO much (different story for casual/BTB) but an increase in movement speed might make for some awesome gameplay.

Sephzilla

If only CE had the opportunity to receive updates/patches and DLC. Red X's and ingame clocks for example, obvious improvements made since CE that may deter players from staying with it once TMCC launches

Honestly I'm surprised they are barely talking about Halo CE at all with the MCC (at least from what I've read). You'd think original Halo 1 multiplayer on Xbox Live for the first time ever would be something they'd be hammering home more, especially if 343 is trying to win back some of the old Halo faithful.

3, Reach, and 4 all felt slow to me. During a LAN my friends threw about a month or so ago we went from Reach directly back to CE and the differences between the two felt surprisingly pronounced. Halo CE feels like a run and gunner compared to Reach.

Kibbles

I don't condone sprint in arena style/competitive matches as it changes everything for the worse TOO much (different story for casual/BTB) but an increase in movement speed might make for some awesome gameplay.
That's why MLG is the only way to play Halo 3. Increased movement, no equipment, BR starts, all that good stuff

VinFTW

Honestly I'm surprised they are barely talking about Halo CE at all with the MCC (at least from what I've read). You'd think original Halo 1 multiplayer on Xbox Live for the first time ever would be something they'd be hammering home more, especially if 343 is trying to win back some of the old Halo faithful.

3, Reach, and 4 all felt slow to me. During a LAN my friends threw about a month or so ago we went from Reach directly back to CE and the differences between the two felt surprisingly pronounced. Halo CE feels like a run and gunner compared to Reach.

To be honest, Reach and 3 def. felt slower but I felt like 4 was a step in the right direction (speed wise). I feel like sprint really doesn't need to be in competitive play at all. Just speed up the movement. Not like Quake levels but back to Halo 2, maybe a bit more.

That's why MLG is the only way to play Halo 3. Increased movement, no equipment, BR starts, all that good stuff

Hell yes. Here's hoping 343 did their research and delivers the perfect Halo 2/Halo 3 best-of in H5.

Hope people truly give it a chance because if it's good I would love to see the population blow up like the H2 days.

I feel like there's already a lot of naysayers here and while I agree map design in Halo 2 was perfection and so far the industrial/cluttered looking maps on the H5 beta trailer aren't too promising, I feel like it deserves a chance.

Schryver

New energy sword sound effect is absolutely awful. Original is a classic that shouldn't be changed imo. Also agree that they should be talking about Halo CE multiplayer more

Sephzilla

New energy sword sound effect is absolutely awful. Original is a classic that shouldn't be changed imo.

100% agreed.

To be honest, Reach and 3 def. felt slower but I felt like 4 was a step in the right direction (speed wise). I feel like sprint really doesn't need to be in competitive play at all. Just speed up the movement. Not like Quake levels but back to Halo 2, maybe a bit more.

Halo 4 after that big update was definitely better

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
New energy sword sound effect is absolutely awful. Original is a classic that shouldn't be changed imo. Also agree that they should be talking about Halo CE multiplayer more
Yeah, not a fan. The pistol was too boomy, too. Everything else sounded good to me.

defghik

Totally agree. I play H2 on XBC all the time, but once in a while I'll pop H3 in just because it's so much more convenient to find games, and every time I come away hating the game. It's just inferior in almost every single way.

Some weapons definitely have less aim assist in Halo 3 like the sniper, I'm not sure that's the case with the BR. From the testing I've done, the "sticky aim" part of the aim assist seems slightly reduced, but the "auto aim" part, where the game redirects your bullets to the target, is the same as it was in H2. In both games, if you stand at the edge of the red reticule range, you can shoot at a player's waist and the game will register a headshot. I suspect the reason it feels so much harder to use is because the spread is so bad.

Just wanted to crosspost my quote from the panel thread:

I got to attend the panel, it was amazing. The sound in that theater was so loud and so balanced that each shot from the remastered audio felt good.

Halo 3 looked beautiful in motion, and the new lighting engine, while not extremely different, lends some serious beauty to a well designed and well aged game.

I was first in line yesterday to try out Lockdown, and I got first place. Not only that, @Halo tweeted a picture of me playing before the hall opened. Pretty fucking awesome.

H2A feels so right, and the new Forge stuff has me super optimistic for it. We'll get some new maps from some creative community members, and we'll have a game that will last us on multiplayer until the next game, or even after.

Also I was the guy who asked about the Halo CEA transition, since the guy before me asked about the Armor customization. I wanted to ask if all the permutations were unlocked from the get go, but I didn't want to belabor the already asked and dodged answer.

Ramirez

How big of a detail is the aim assist when the better BR won the majority of encounters regardless, especially when the risk/reward option of the double shot jumped on the scene.

Pretty freaking big detail, the sniper was gross with its forgiveness on headshots. Halo 2 had by far the worst host advantage as well. Might as well pack it up on certain maps if you didn't have host and they were good, Tombstone being a good example.

The amount of people who could pull of a reliable double shot in matchmaking was miniscule, BXR was about the only glitch you would see on a regular basis.

VinFTW

I remember back in Halo 3 you could download forge maps straight to your 360 on Bungie.net.

What was that called?

I feel like the Halo Channel NEEDS this functionality. Sort by top rated, all time, hot today, developer favorited, etc.

I miss downloading these awesome racing maps and cool remakes of classic maps.

edit: don't know why I quoted you :p

I remember back in Halo 3 you could download forge maps straight to your 360 on Bungie.net.

What was that called?

I feel like the Halo Channel NEEDS this functionality. Sort by top rated, all time, hot today, developer favorited, etc.

I miss downloading these awesome racing maps and cool remakes of classic maps.

Halo: Reach and Halo 4 have a File Browser, so I assume that the Master Chief Collection/Halo Channel will also have one.

Tawpgun

I've made a huge mistake.

Anyone know if GameStop will let me cancel my destiny preorder and give me cash money back?

When I traded my games in the guy said Id be able to come back and get cash, albeit at a lesser value than in game. I think.

Went back and the lady tells me once it's store credit then it's forever store credit.

Halp

Fracas

#fuckonami
I've made a huge mistake.

Anyone know if GameStop will let me cancel my destiny preorder and give me cash money back?

When I traded my games in the guy said Id be able to come back and get cash, albeit at a lesser value than in game. I think.

Went back and the lady tells me once it's store credit then it's forever store credit.

Halp
lol you're fucked

Best thing you can do is cancel your preorder and buy kindle gift cards (which are just regular amazon gift cards) with the credit

Top Bottom