• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

TheOddOne

I can't wait to read Viewtiful's review of Destiny two weeks after release. He better do one meaty Nicki Minaj ass review, because I'm hyped as buck for it.
g1EK5ZA.png

willow ve

Destiny feels like a wait and see game after the beta. If it has the length of campaign similar to Borderlands I'll get it. If the campaign is as short as the beta made it appear with loads of content parked behind a DLC paywall I'll wait for a GOTY edition.

dwells

Do original (authentic) high res versions of the Halo 2 rank icons exist, or am I going to have to make my own? In the event of the latter, can I get the name of the font? I'm thinking it's either Avesta Extra Bold, Eurostile Condensed Bold, or Square 721 Bold Condensed.

frankie pls

I can't get hyped for Destiny either for some reason. Even after enjoying the beta.

Haven't bought an Xbone yet, might buy a black one this weekend, or a white one with SO. IDK. :/

btags

Destiny feels like a wait and see game after the beta. If it has the length of campaign similar to Borderlands I'll get it. If the campaign is as short as the beta made it appear with loads of content parked behind a DLC paywall I'll wait for a GOTY edition.

That's where I am at with destiny as well. That and I want to see more interesting weapons.

IHaveIce

Banned
Me too, man. It's been so long I can't remember what I used.

Edit : So, who here is getting Destiny on XB1 at launch? Not many HaloGAF people are active in the Destiny thread, it seems.
Can't stand most of the Destiny fanboys, I assume the game will be good though some of them are annoying already.

Will get Destiny on XB1 though don't know if Diablo will let its claws off me yet

RowdyReverb

I have an Xbone but it seems most of my friends will be playing on Xbox 360. So that's where I'm picking it up

Unless of course the stats between the two systems are shared and I can switch between them at will. Then I'd double dip just for convenience.. but I don't think that's the case anywho

Stats are shared between the two systems. At least, they were in the beta. I switched between 360 and XB1 and it kept track of my progress made on each console. It also looks/plays surprisingly similar on last gen, albeit blurrier and without the gorgeous skyboxes.

Trey

I can't wait to read Viewtiful's review of Destiny two weeks after release. He better do one meaty Nicki Minaj ass review, because I'm hyped as buck for it.
g1EK5ZA.png

Viewtiful been slacking lately. Must've gotten himself a girl that cooks him breakfast ; he feeling himself too much.

He'll throw out a condensed two sentence review and somehow use 12 coli smilies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Do original (authentic) high res versions of the Halo 2 rank icons exist, or am I going to have to make my own? In the event of the latter, can I get the name of the font? I'm thinking it's either Avesta Extra Bold, Eurostile Condensed Bold, or Square 721 Bold Condensed.

frankie pls

Which font? (almost certainly eurostile)

TheOddOne

Viewtiful been slacking lately. Must've gotten himself a girl that cooks him breakfast ; he feeling himself too much.

He'll throw out a condensed two sentence review and somehow use 12 coli smilies.
That boy has been wipped, sad day for humanity.
kttcoligarbage

damn breh I'm being exposed left and right in this mothafucka
bv6ye.png

I was suppose to do a Mario Kart 8 review, never got around to it. But that's the only big game I've bought since...well I just bought Diablo 3 and Destiny and plan on grabbing loot the rest of the month, so look forward to that.

Maybe I should have done a Mario Kart 8 review
AixfG.png

dwells

Which font? (almost certainly eurostile)

The one used for the numbers in these guys:

E4Bhlze.jpg

That image was the best thing I had to work with, did my best to pluck the numbers out and clean them up as much as possible and got this:

7nplIho.png

Ran it against some fonts and wound up with a few possible matches, and Eurostile Condensed Bold was probably the closest:

DRlTZKv.gif

So if Eurostile is what jumped out at you from the list I gave, then that's almost certainly an exact match. Cool, thanks!

Sephzilla

At this rate I'm just going to wait for the inevitable MCC bundle. The effective price of the xbox one is so low.

I don't think a MCC bundle is happening at this point. Not with the Sunset Overdrive and COD bundles both coming out right before and after MCC. We would have heard about a MCC bundle at this point.

Omni

Stats are shared between the two systems. At least, they were in the beta. I switched between 360 and XB1 and it kept track of my progress made on each console. It also looks/plays surprisingly similar on last gen, albeit blurrier and without the gorgeous skyboxes.
Is that so?

So you could rank up a little bit on 360, switch to X1 and continue where you left off, then go back to 360 and still have the progress made on X1?

Fuchsdh

I don't think a MCC bundle is happening at this point. Not with the Sunset Overdrive and COD bundles both coming out right before and after MCC. We would have heard about a MCC bundle at this point.

Pretty much. I'm not really complaining—Microsoft exists to make money, and the Master Chief Collection is a system seller. Plus that white console looks great—sadly it's not as cool as the Day One (that seemed to have some silver pattern in it) but still looks nicer than the black to my eyes. Found some Kinect 2's for less than $70 online so I'll be set for this November. Don't begrudge paying the $60 for a game that delivers so much content.

Sephzilla

Pretty much. I'm not really complaining—Microsoft exists to make money, and the Master Chief Collection is a system seller. Plus that white console looks great—sadly it's not as cool as the Day One (that seemed to have some silver pattern in it) but still looks nicer than the black to my eyes. Found some Kinect 2's for less than $70 online so I'll be set for this November. Don't begrudge paying the $60 for a game that delivers so much content.

I'm curious if this XB1 build-a-bundle deal works with already existing bundles or if it's for standalone XB1s. I bought Madden on PS4 and was thinking maybe I could buy the XB1 Madden bundle, get another game on top of that with this deal, and then trade in my PS4 Madden in for my MCC pre-order.

willow ve

I'm curious if this XB1 build-a-bundle deal works with already existing bundles or if it's for standalone XB1s. I bought Madden on PS4 and was thinking maybe I could buy the XB1 Madden bundle, get another game on top of that with this deal, and then trade in my PS4 Madden in for my MCC pre-order.
Works with the bundles. $400 gets you Madden and Destiny according to the deal thread.

dwells

Thanks to Frankie confirming the font for me, I've been able to make the first accurate high-res recreation of the Halo 2 ranking icons. I decided to go with a flat color scheme since that's what's in these days; Halo 2's gloss on the icons was very much in-line with 2004 "web 2.0" design.

Original icons are on the left.

Xi6xcWk.png
uzYr5Je.png

DENvP1e.png
syL3gLS.png

Monochromatic version:

yHWh83i.png

Frankie, in the event your UI team hasn't done the ranks yet (and if legal won't get on your backs about it), I'd be happy to send you guys the template I just threw together.

Omni

Thanks to Frankie confirming the font for me, I've been able to make the first accurate high-res recreation of the Halo 2 ranking icons. I decided to go with a flat color scheme since that's what's in these days; Halo 2's gloss on the icons was very much in-line with 2004 "web 2.0" design.
Looks good but the aliasing around the numbers is a bit distracting

Is there a reason you're making these or?

dwells

Looks good but the aliasing around the numbers is a bit distracting

Is there a reason you're making these or?

Yeah, I'm working on that. I'm at work and just playing with these in my downtime, no Photoshop or anything so I have to make do with Paint.NET.

And no, not really. I just noticed that there's no high-res versions of the icons and I thought it would be fun to make some.

EDIT: Fixed the anti-aliasing issue.

Booties

Banned

I don't really want any of the bundles out now. And fifa 15 isn't released until september 23rd. This sucks. I still have faith in some sort of price drop, mcc bundle, or christmas bundle.

Chitown B

In two month's time you'll have that sweet sweet white console in hand and the wait will be worth it. That thing looks so cool.

does it really? traditionally electronics are black. So it'll stick out and look like a kid's toy. I guess if you're under 20 you wouldn't care, but at 33 I wouldn't want something like that in my entertainment center.

dwells

does it really? traditionally electronics are black. So it'll stick out and look like a kid's toy. I guess if you're under 20 you wouldn't care, but at 33 I wouldn't want something like that in my entertainment center.

Depends. I have pretty modern decor in my apartment and a lot of high gloss white, including the unit my TV sits on. Black electronics stick out pretty bad.

Fuchsdh

"White is noob, black is pro" is an incredibly childish sentiment that shouldn't come out of a 33-year-old's mouth.

leng jai

Basically, you're wrong. White is a common colour and not associated with "kid's toys" at all. It depends on how the decor in your house is themed as to whether it stands out or not (which is a matter of taste as to whether it's a bad thing in the first place". Your assertion that 33 year olds shouldn't have a white piece of electronics in their home is ridiculous.

Homeboyd

Frankie, in the event your UI team hasn't done the ranks yet (and if legal won't get on your backs about it), I'd be happy to send you guys the template I just threw together.
Go ahead and make me a Colonel Grade II icon for an avatar if you would pls thx

So, who here is getting Destiny on XB1 at launch? Not many HaloGAF people are active in the Destiny thread, it seems.
PS3 Destiny, reporting in.

What are you drinking/eating on launch night?! I'm taking the week off from work and posting fake beach photos to fb so my coworkers don't know I'm gaming! /shill, etc.
Coffee/weed is the only way to go. Then it doesn't matter what you eat, as long as it's in front of you and plentiful.

Schryver

I might jump on that free game deal if there was anything worth getting. If I do end up getting an xbox it will only be for MCC and the other exclusives because I have a PS4 and a new PC already. Gonna have to decide on the SO bundle or look into a good ebay deal though since MCC bundle not looking likely :/

klodeckel

Banned
Played some Halo 4 Big Team Battle the last few hours. Had a ton of fun.

Yes, you read that right. I think Big Team Battle is one of the better parts in Halo 4.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Can't wait for Tuesday. Not gonna have a lot of time to play it though, work and school are bearing down on me hard.

Rev3rb

Xi6xcWk.png
uzYr5Je.png

DENvP1e.png
syL3gLS.png

Monochromatic version:

yHWh83i.png

Not sure if you've seen yet, but there was also someone (from Reddit) that revamped the H2 ranks about a month ago.

Linky

Sephzilla

I remember getting to 27 or 28 in BTB Halo 2. If I remember right, going from 27/28 to 29 was considered "the big hump" because lots of people had trouble getting past that.

Stubo

Edit : So, who here is getting Destiny on XB1 at launch? Not many HaloGAF people are active in the Destiny thread, it seems.
I'll be on Destiny on launch.

UK hours though - so during the week I'll probably be playing somewhere between 1pm-7pm eastern time for you guys.

Edit: Oh man those Halo 2 ranks. I remember a friend's woes of being stuck on 39 for the longest time! I can't remember what I managed, nothing near that though :(

Destiny thread is kinda over zealot about the game you only see rainbows and unicorns but ignore those pesky bad buzzing about the game

PS4 reporting in...anyone...hello?

jem0208

I won't be bothering with Destiny. The only reason I was interested was because it was from Bungie. None of the footage did anything for me. Playing the beta just solidified this opinion.

Side note: anyone here playing Warframe? This game confuses the hell out of me...

Top Bottom