• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

My mind was kinda blown a couple weeks back on Halo Waypoint, when I began to pet my dog and accidently activated Kinect...blam!...my Halo 4 Spartan was staring back at me, mirroring my hand and head gestures, accessing the Waypoint HUD.

WP_20140528_007_zpse279286d.jpg

What. WAT?! How did I not know that? That is awesome! Hope Halo Channel has some fun hidden goodies.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
mmmhhh yaki soba time. That's cool. I'm simply looking for distractions to make time go by while waiting for November to roll around. Also hoping for a vidoc of some kind before the game comes out. Very much excite.
duuuude your new avatar is cool

HTupolev

Because we're not scaling, we're changing geometry too.
You mean like how CEA had that modified collision setup that was supposed to match player movement geometry to the new graphics (though was never finished)?

That wouldn't be pixels or aspect ratio or framerate, but I'd certainly expect it to change the game's behavior; environmental collision with CEA's bipeds is less quirky than CE's.

Because we're not scaling, we're changing geometry too. And we won't know everything behaves the way we expect until close to end.

Resolution (and in turn pixel count and aspect ratio) is usually independent of physics (game update and rasterisation). Makes sense for Framerate to change things, as it affects the rate at which the game updates.

Obviously I haven't read the source code but it's pretty standard.

But if mesh geometry precision changes, then of course that's another way things might be different.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
i'm like a paint.net master! seriously, though, I really really miss gif avatars. Wish evilore would figure out a good way to bring them back.
Me too, man. It's been so long I can't remember what I used.

Edit : So, who here is getting Destiny on XB1 at launch? Not many HaloGAF people are active in the Destiny thread, it seems.

Edit : So, who here is getting Destiny on XB1 at launch? Not many HaloGAF people are active in the Destiny thread, it seems.
I kind of hamstrung myself by pre-ordering the SO bundle. Can't take part in the Destiny fun until the end of October.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I kind of hamstrung myself by pre-ordering the SO bundle. Can't take part in the Destiny fun until the end of October.
In two month's time you'll have that sweet sweet white console in hand and the wait will be worth it. That thing looks so cool.

Pfhunkie

Because we're not scaling, we're changing geometry too. And we won't know everything behaves the way we expect until close to end.
Well if you're changing geometry too then I can see how that would affect it but previously you had always said it was the resolution scaling and the aspect ratio (still not quite explaining the possible lack of sword flying with the geometry changes) that was the culprit. This is the first time I've heard of any adjustments to physical models in the game. Might have misunderstood you, though.

At any rate, I wish you guys luck on that subject. I hope everything is going as planned. :)

I've got it pre-loaded right now. I can't wait to get into it in less than a week. That beta left me craving so much more out of it and hearing that they've nerfed the autos has made me want it all the more.

Can you break/move a few of the invisible boundaries in campaign for h3. Speedrunners would appreciate it.

TBH im hoping for there are some new tricks in h3. Or the ones we have at the moment dont get broken.

My mind was kinda blown a couple weeks back on Halo Waypoint, when I began to pet my dog and accidently activated Kinect...blam!...my Halo 4 Spartan was staring back at me, mirroring my hand and head gestures, accessing the Waypoint HUD.

WP_20140528_007_zpse279286d.jpg

At first I was thinking... wow awesome they're doing that for the Halo Channel... but then I looked and it is waypoint. I can't wait to see this!

Madness

I'm in the same boat. I don't even know if I want to spoil the experience on Xbox 360, so I might not even pick up my pre-order. I'll probably get it the same time as my Sunset bundle as well. Though I can't see myself playing too much with MCC coming out soon after as well.

Havoc2049

what in the actual fuck.

are you for cereals right now, why have I NEVER heard of this?

Kinect controlled Spartan Avatars? WAT

not even that I want or need this, I just feel like someone, somewhere, someday, would have mentioned that before

What. WAT?! How did I not know that? That is awesome! Hope Halo Channel has some fun hidden goodies.

I know, right! I was like WTF!

I am but mostly to eat ramen and do interviews with Japanese press. Won't be a big reveal spot for maps.

Did I mention this: read it, weep. I will eat there every day.

Karate biker gang? Spicy ramen?

Now that Microsoft isn't trying as hard with the Xbox brand in Japan this time around, Halo and the Xbox One will probably take Japan by storm...lol

New HaloGAF'er from Japan just joined today, Frankie goes to Japan...

Believe....
27892.jpg

I'm in the same boat. I don't even know if I want to spoil the experience on Xbox 360, so I might not even pick up my pre-order. I'll probably get it the same time as my Sunset bundle as well. Though I can't see myself playing too much of anything else with TMCC coming out soon after as well.
Yes and, like you said, by the time it comes out I think most of my time will be devoted to the master chief collection. I want to get in a lot of games of halo 1-3 before the halo 5 beta begins.

Madness

Yes and, like you said, by the time it comes out I think most of my time will be devoted to the master chief collection. I want to get in a lot of games of halo 1-3 before the halo 5 beta begins.

Same. I'll probably be playing MCC everyday. The first launch day, week, month is always the best. Even better that the beta lasts till January. So we're going to see solid numbers and players well into the new year. I wonder what the sustain populations will be like after the beta.

Omni

I have an Xbone but it seems most of my friends will be playing on Xbox 360. So that's where I'm picking it up

Unless of course the stats between the two systems are shared and I can switch between them at will. Then I'd double dip just for convenience.. but I don't think that's the case anywho

I have an Xbone but it seems most of my friends will be playing on Xbox 360. So that's where I'm picking it up

Unless of course the stats between the two systems are shared and I can switch between them at will. Then I'd double dip just for convenience.. but I don't think that's the case anywho

Dude, our teammates tonight, lol...

BlackDistantFritillarybutterfly.gif

daedalius

I liked it better when the first solo game I've played in over a year and I got a guy with 3 guests and an entire enemy team using camo on heavy dominion

Omg destiny so sooooooooooon hnggghhhh, but guys, destiny isn't like halo.

Nope, not at all!

[-] How long have you been a member of NeoGAF? How long have you lurked?
Uhhh
[-] How long have you been a Halo fan? Have you played all the games?
Yes
[-] What mode do you spend most of your time in? (i.e. Multiplayer, Campaign, Forge, Firefight, Theater)
Searching for games
[-] What is your favorite playlist? (i.e. MLG, Action Sack)
Team
Squad
Slayer
[-] AR or BR?
Dual SMGs
[-] Highest Halo 3 level and what playlist?
Uhhh
[-] Favorite Halo 2 map?
8v8 backwash rockets and grenades only; max fog
[-] Favorite all-time Halo map?
Swordbase, Oddball, 100% Bloom
[-] Other Halo sites/forums you have been a member of.
Ha!
[-] Any other games you spend a lot of time playing.
Time?

Barlowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

IHaveIce

Banned
I liked it better when the first solo game I've played in over a year and I got a guy with 3 guests and an entire enemy team using camo on heavy dominion

Omg destiny so sooooooooooon hnggghhhh, but guys, destiny isn't like halo.

Nope, not at all!
Well it isn't

willow ve

Did you play the beta on 360? Framerate was horrible in many instances and textures were... lacking.

Until I have an X1 I'm not buying Destiny. Just isn't worth it on the 360
unless massive changes were made since the beta.

JonCha

Did you play the beta on 360? Framerate was horrible in many instances and textures were... lacking.

Definitely some slowdown, but beyond that I thought it played well. I'm not a massive sickler for the upgrade in graphics so I can live with that.

That said my main concern right now is how much content is there and therefore whether I feel it's worth paying for.

Madness

Well it isn't

Yeah I don't see how it's like Halo in any respect beyond sharing a similar shooter DNA that is inevitable since it's from Bungie.

The game honestly reminded me of Mass Effect 1/2 and a mix of Borderlands/TitanFall than Halo.

Edit: Also didn't like how it played on Xbox 360, will most likely wait till I have a next Gen console to play it.

Akai__

I have used pixel count, aspect ratio and frame rate as examples of massive changes that may produce unintended consequences.

Interesting. But, are all games impacted by that geometry change or is it really just Halo 2 and Halo 2 Anniversary? I don't know how these things work, but the question is, if ghost jumps in Halo 3 will still work. Thanks for dropping in and answering by the way.

Omni

scrunch_nose.gif

I actually thought they were pretty solid for a change :3
or maybe that's just because I'm bad

Well except for that first CTF game. :lol

I played the beta on 360, yes. But friends > graphics. It wasn't unplayable by any means. I quite enjoyed it actually

Obviously a downgrade from Reach visually but meh

I am.

The Destiny thread moves pretty quickly and that's why I don't really post in it lol. That might change after launch.

Madness

There's a deal in Canada, where you can get the Xbox One and either Destiny or NHL 15 for the regular $400 Kinectless price. Don't know whether I should just do that, or wait for the Sunset Overdrive white bundle.

On the one hand, I actually want to play Destiny more than Sunset, but on the other, I want the white console and controller. But it sucks they have to do digital release only. No chance of trade in.

VinFTW

I am. Would love to play with some Halo peeps.

GT: vin ftw

There's a deal in Canada, where you can get the Xbox One and either Destiny or NHL 15 for the regular $400 Kinectless price. Don't know whether I should just do that, or wait for the Sunset Overdrive white bundle.

On the one hand, I actually want to play Destiny more than Sunset, but on the other, I want the white console and controller. But it sucks they have to do digital release only. No chance of trade in.

how dare you even think about trading in the messiah that is Destiny
/s

Frankie, I know I PM'd (not sure ifyouI saw the reply to your reply) but do you know if 343 will be doing anything cool for Eurogamer (EGX) in London this September, be it map reveal, tournaments etc?

*crossing my fingers*

Dang. I've been playing through a bunch of games on the Wii U lately. Seriously think that Mario Kart 8 is the best Mario Kart ever made. Finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution the other day and have to admit it was pretty awesome. Starting to go through Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze and, now that I'm finally getting the controls and nuances of the game down, I'm realizing how epic of a platformer the game is (blows any of the New Super Mario Bros. games out of the water). Beat Pikmin 3, which was a lot harder than I would have liked, but enjoyed it nonetheless. Finished Wind Waker HD even further back. The Wii U has a solid library right now. Haven't tried Mario3dWorld or Wonderful 101, but I'm not that interested in either for now. The only other game I want to take a crack at before November comes is Rayman Legends. I've also got Zombie U, but haven't delved into it yet. Putting a lot more hours into the system than I ever I imagined I would.

I'm getting it/already pre-downloaded. The Destiny thread is like 90% PS4 players, Bungie pushed hard

Ramirez

Well it's just a pre release circle jerk at the moment, so there's not much point...

What are you drinking/eating on launch night?! I'm taking the week off from work and posting fake beach photos to fb so my coworkers don't know I'm gaming! /shill, etc.

/residentsleeper

Also, Moonman, 3D World is the best game of the current generation, get on that.

Madness

I'm getting it/already pre-downloaded. The Destiny thread is like 90% PS4 players, Bungie pushed hard

Eh, NeoGAF is like 90% PS4 and they clearly have the lead this Gen. We'll have to see what kind of numbers Xbox One pulls with the launch of all these new bundles, games like Sunset, and exclusive CoD:AW bundle and content.

A lot of people seem disingenuous when they talk about Destiny in a lot of threads. The same people who never gave Bungie or Halo the time of day, are now magically hardcore Bungie fans, and think Destiny is the game of the generation etc. And I suspect the strong PS4 push and exclusivity have to do with it.

Top Bottom