• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Hey guys, a little off topic but I thought I should ask the opinions of my feel nerds.

Should I move to Seattle or New York?

As someone who was born in New York (I assume you mean the City), and grew up in Seattle, NYC all day erry day. Seattle is vastly overrated.

jem0208

You may have opened up a big can of worms here.

Brace yourself.

Be careful. Liking Halo 4 is blasphemy.

In a way, I agree with you

spongepatrick.jpg

Yup haha.

I tend to hold pretty divisive opinions when it comes to the majority of GAF.

I'm actually really excited for H2A because of it. From what some of the pros have been saying about it. It sounds like it feels like 4's base gameplay without all the fluff and with obviously great maps.

Buwx

AAs, perks, loadouts, sprint, ordnance, flagnum, hitmarkers, shitty maps built for sprint, the mantis, anything that makes halo 4 "modern" is shit.

I agree with everything except that. The Mantis was a great addition to the vehicle sandbox. It's like my second favorite vehicle in the series. The way I see it, the Mantis served as a more balanced equivalent to the Halo 2 Scorpion; it had the right amount of firepower to be a threat to infantry, while also punishing any vehicles that got a little cocky. Other than that, it really fell short when put up against actual tanks or heavy artillery.

IMO, at least, the Mantis isn't some "modern shit". It's a welcomed addition to the Halo Universe and multiplayer alike. All they need to do is get rid of fucking Plasma Pistol starts so we can finally appreciate some vehicular combat.

My room (just the room, I mean - I'm still living with the family) is pretty much black and wood-colored with some white prints on the walls, but the white XBO looks loads better than the black one.

Fuchsdh

I was impressed with how close Seattle was to pretty much any type of outdoor activity there is. But if city living is your thing NYC is hard to beat.

Either way you're going to be paying a fortune in rent if you live somewhere remotely desirable. Seattle is moderately more expensive than DC and NYC is more on top of that.

Flagnum was cool but implemented poorly. Also, anyone who says the flag carrier, a player in a shooting game who cannot shoot a weapon, should be SLOWER than default speed in an already nonfast-paced shooter is factually incorrect.

Thank you.
skype-bow.gif

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't say "noob" or "pro" - I think anything that's not black for a piece of electronics looks like a kid's toy. Example: The Wii.
I just don't think we value the same things when it comes to console designs. I love certain slick black consoles -- XB1, PS4, PS2 -- but I also love cute ones. The Gamecube is one of my favorite console designs ever, and I love colorful handhelds designs like the Gameboy Pocket line, DSi line, and the New 3DS faceplates. And I'm turning thirty in two months! So I really don't relate to what you're saying. Though I do like my consoles to match, and I wouldn't personally buy a white XB1 for that reason.

Nebula

Flagnum was cool but implemented poorly. Also, anyone who says the flag carrier, a player in a shooting game who cannot shoot a weapon, should be SLOWER than default speed in an already nonfast-paced shooter is factually incorrect.

Thank you.
skype-bow.gif

All about the juggle. Bring it back and you've got the old sneaky or speedy balance back.

daedalius

Halo 4's (not sprint) movement feels faster than H2A.

At it's core, Halo 4 has pretty good movement and a handful of the weapons feel good.

Really? I hope they increase the base speed then.

But I was specifically referring to Halo 2, it looks like there isn't any momentum on the strafe in that game (was just watching it on Twitch the other night), but I'll bet the speed itself was just because of the narrower FOV.

Edit: I'm older than Kittens.

Chitown B

Yup haha.

I tend to hold pretty divisive opinions when it comes to the majority of GAF.

I'm actually really excited for H2A because of it. From what some of the pros have been saying about it. It sounds like it feels like 4's base gameplay without all the fluff and with obviously great maps.

Curious what year you starting playing heavily online. It might speak to why 4 is your favorite.

Chitown B

I just don't think we value the same things when it comes to console designs. I love certain slick black consoles -- XB1, PS4, PS2 -- but I also love cute ones. The Gamecube is one of my favorite console designs ever, and I love colorful handhelds designs like the Gameboy Pocket line, DSi line, and the New 3DS faceplates. And I'm turning thirty in two months! So I really don't relate to what you're saying. Though I do like my consoles to match, and I wouldn't personally buy a white XB1 for that reason.

Fair enough. Just a personal opinion I guess.

Schryver

How did everyone enjoy the campaign of Halo 4? My 360 broke (and I started playing a lot of WoW) soon after Reach came out so never played more than an hour of Halo 4 at my friends house. I need more convincing to buy an xbox

How did everyone enjoy the campaign of Halo 4? My 360 broke (and I started playing a lot of WoW) soon after Reach came out so never played more than an hour of Halo 4 at my friends house. I need more convincing to buy an xbox
Overall it's okay. I'd enjoy it more if campaign theater mode would've worked though.

It's pretty mediocre, I really would not recommend playing it.

Mistel

Banned
Started off alright then about mission 4 when the UNSC showed up it went south real quick.

I agree with everything except that. The Mantis was a great addition to the vehicle sandbox. It's like my second favorite vehicle in the series. The way I see it, the Mantis served as a more balanced equivalent to the Halo 2 Scorpion; it had the right amount of firepower to be a threat to infantry, while also punishing any vehicles that got a little cocky. Other than that, it really fell short when put up against actual tanks or heavy artillery.

IMO, at least, the Mantis isn't some "modern shit". It's a welcomed addition to the Halo Universe and multiplayer alike. All they need to do is get rid of fucking Plasma Pistol starts so we can finally appreciate some vehicular combat.
I felt the mantis was very awkward/clunky and just all round boring, tbh I'd have rather had the hornet/falcon return in it's sted.
I wouldn't be phased of it didn't return and was never mentioned again.

How did everyone enjoy the campaign of Halo 4?
As a game: 7.5/10
As a Halo game: 4/10

I'll have Destiny,
on X1

Madness

I disagree, even after the nerf. It's one of the worst additions to vehicle combat and game play in Halo. It runs antithesis to what vehicles actually were. Not only is the Mantis overpowered in that it has a chaingun, wide foot melee stomp, and long range rockets that can be held and fired at once, but it's also got such a small profile and is ridiculously hard to board.

One hallmark of vehicles in the series has always been transportation and movement. You can ferry troops in vehicles, whether it's sitting on the scorpion, riding in warthog, mongoose etc. But the Mantis is by itself. Additionally, it's slow rate of movement means it's usually stationary on key positions on maps, effectively making it a camping vehicle. Most people use Wraiths and Scorpions the same way. But where the scorpion, wraith are large and somewhat slow, the Mantis is smaller and agile and counters a huge number of weapons and vehicles.

If there was no plasma pistol in loadout, it would be crazy in how many kills it could get before someone could destroy it. I actually hope the Mantis doesn't return again, except in campaign.

m23

I liked it more than Reach campaign.

I have to go hide now.

jem0208

Curious what year you starting playing heavily online. It might speak to why 4 is your favorite.

2005 or 2006.

I played quite a bit of 2 with my brother even though I kinda sucked at it. I've played Halo since about 2003 though when I bought CE. I played 3 the most.

Blueblur1

You are not alone. I thought 4's campaign was better than Reach's as well.

I feel that it has better cinematics and writing but the actually levels aren't really noteworthy. They're very narrow and encounters with Prometheans boil down to the same combat routine. It pales in comparison to the gameplay found in Halo 3's campaign. Reach's campaign also does a better job at being fun, dynamic, and giving the player options. It has bigger environments, more weapons available to the player, and more enemy variety.

jem0208

I quite enjoyed it.

In relation to other Halos:

Halo 2 > Halo CE > Halo 3 > Halo 4 > ODST > Halo Reach

I still really enjoyed Reach though so the end of this list is still fantastic.

Edit: forgot about ODST.

Homeboyd

Don't worry, I agree with you. 4's campaign is IMO worse than 2 or 3, but a lot better than Reach or ODST. It's biggest flaws are some QTEs and being really easy even on legendary.
...and Prometheans.

When comparing Reach and 4... one has Prometheans, one doesn't. Reach > 4

Deception

I actually really liked Reach's campaign for what it was. Halo 4's was good but didn't really have any memorable moments and level design was bad in some missions but it was still solid IMO.

VinFTW

Campaigns IMO:

Halo 3 > Halo 4 > Halo 1 > Halo Reach > Halo 2 > ODST.

4 felt the most epic and cinematic, 3 felt like a more emotional, but "quietly" epic game, Reach was dark and beautiful, 1 was great and nostalgic but going back to it now? Lot of repetition, back tracking, re-used environments, but fuck that first step on Halo. 2 was awesome, I actually liked the ending, felt good for a middle entry (or so we thought) but it had a lot of unnecessary levels. Was definitely long/sprawling though. Lots of variety. ODST was awesome too, just weaker than the rest.

Fuchsdh

Surprised to see ODST get such a low ranking.

It's certainly short, but IMO it plays as a better "best hits" compilation from all the games than did Reach, which tried the same thing.

It is a lot easier than the other games, though, so if you want a challenge, and not a rage-inducing one *looks at Coastal Highway* it's not the best on Legendary without modifiers.

Mix

I guess we can do this again.
Campaign story wise:
Halo CE>Halo 3>Halo 2>ODST>Halo 4>Reach
Campaign gameplay wise:
Halo 3>Halo 2>Halo CE>ODST>Halo 4>Reach
Multiplayer:
Halo 2{greater than or equal to}Halo 3>Halo CE>Reach>Halo 4...... ODST firefight is somewhere between halo 3 and CE

Surprised to see ODST get such a low ranking.

It's certainly short, but IMO it plays as a better "best hits" compilation from all the games than did Reach, which tried the same thing.

It is a lot easier than the other games, though, so if you want a challenge, and not a rage-inducing one *looks at Coastal Highway* it's not the best on Legendary without modifiers.

I just didn't like the hub world thing they tried. The actual missions were great.

Top Bottom