• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Omni

I agree with everything except that. The Mantis was a great addition to the vehicle sandbox. It's like my second favorite vehicle in the series. The way I see it, the Mantis served as a more balanced equivalent to the Halo 2 Scorpion; it had the right amount of firepower to be a threat to infantry, while also punishing any vehicles that got a little cocky. Other than that, it really fell short when put up against actual tanks or heavy artillery.

IMO, at least, the Mantis isn't some "modern shit". It's a welcomed addition to the Halo Universe and multiplayer alike. All they need to do is get rid of fucking Plasma Pistol starts so we can finally appreciate some vehicular combat.
So we're clear. This is satire right?

Karl2177

I disagree, even after the nerf. It's one of the worst additions to vehicle combat and game play in Halo. It runs antithesis to what vehicles actually were. Not only is the Mantis overpowered in that it has a chaingun, wide foot melee stomp, and long range rockets that can be held and fired at once, but it's also got such a small profile and is ridiculously hard to board.

One hallmark of vehicles in the series has always been transportation and movement. You can ferry troops in vehicles, whether it's sitting on the scorpion, riding in warthog, mongoose etc. But the Mantis is by itself. Additionally, it's slow rate of movement means it's usually stationary on key positions on maps, effectively making it a camping vehicle. Most people use Wraiths and Scorpions the same way. But where the scorpion, wraith are large and somewhat slow, the Mantis is smaller and agile and counters a huge number of weapons and vehicles.

If there was no plasma pistol in loadout, it would be crazy in how many kills it could get before someone could destroy it. I actually hope the Mantis doesn't return again, except in campaign.

To add to this, UNSC vehicles always seemed a bit more grounded in the science fiction realm. A walker doesn't really fit that.

To add to this, UNSC vehicles always seemed a bit more grounded in the science fiction realm. A walker doesn't really fit that.

They've had walkers before in the canon. I'd argue that the Mantis is just a cool idea that wasn't implemented very well. Make is smaller, slightly faster, knock-over-able, and maybe swap the rockets out for a Splaser+ and I think you've got something.

jem0208

So this ranking thing is basically a weekly feature right?

I realised I didn't rank multiplayer.

Halo 3 > Halo 2 > Halo 4 > Halo Reach

Welfare

Whelp.

Single Player
CE > 2 > 4 > 3 > ODST > Reach

Multiplayer
2 > CE > 4 > 3 > Reach > ODST

Overall
CE=2 > 4 > 3=Reach > ODST
(Will probably change to CE being number 1 after playing it online)

Schryver

[-] How long have you been a member of NeoGAF? How long have you lurked?
10 months. Only a few months before joining
[-] How old are you? What country or state are you posting from?
25. Southern California
[-] How long have you been a Halo fan? Have you played all the games?
Bought an original Xbox a week after it came out. Didn't learn about Halo until Christmas day somehow and fell in love instantly. Didn't play 4 yet besides some Spartan Ops
[-] What mode do you spend most of your time in?
Multiplayer
[-] What is your favorite playlist?
Rocket Race. Also Team Slayer/Team Objective
[-] AR or BR?
AR is cool (dat ammo counter) but BR is better
[-] Highest Halo 3 level and what playlist?
Team Slayer. Ummmm
[-] Favorite Halo 2 map?
Lockout
[-] Favorite all-time Halo map?
Valhalla for Rocket Race :p
[-] Any other games you spend a lot of time playing.
Played a lot of WoW the past few years until I took a break in January. Was planning on playing again when WoD comes out but not so sure, especally if I get an xbox for MCC. These days I'm mostly playing Hearthstone.
[-] Personal bio stuff. (occupation/hobbies/etc.)
I watch a good a amount of sports. Go Angels and Seahawks!

xalener

Neo Member
the Mantis coulda been reeeeaaaally fun. The reason why it wasn't for most didn't have fuckall to do with the fact that it had legs. For me, it was because it had a warthog turret on one arm and a warthog rocket turret on the other. It was literally a big walking redundancy. It felt like the shitty custom vehicles in the early Halo CE modding scene where people would just slap a shade turret and a wraith turret onto a ghost and call it a day. Pluuus it felt like it was (literally and figuratively) stepping on the toes of the role taken up by the Scorpion.

It can be re-balanced into something awesome. Imo, a similar transformation happened between the Hornet and the Falcon. Even without primary weapons, the Falcon felt way nicer and more effective as a weapon than the Hornet. I think the Mantis can have the same kind of reform. Maybe another more squishy mech called the Grasshopper or some shit like that could focus on mobility instead of offensive power. And if the Mantis does return it could be given a fatter shape with a more exposed pilot, or at least a vibrant shooty hotspot like the spinny thing on the back of the Wraith or the Ghost's side fuel tank. I do like that it's difficult to board, but it doesn't have a clear weakness like every other vehicle in the series has. I'm sure they've considered a Scarab style leg crippling mechanic, but tbh that would fucking suck to play. No one would get in the damn thing.

Stubo

Single Player
3 > CE > 2 > ODST > 4 > Reach

Multiplayer
2 > 3 > CE > Reach > ODST > 4

Overall
2 > 3 > CE > ODST > Reach > 4

Maybe I should have given 4 more of a chance, I haven't played since this big patch you guys talk about. It's likely I'll have a better experience dipping my toes in once the MCC is out (if I can drag myself away from the other games).

I finished the campaign on legendary and played enough MP to know I didn't want to put more than a few hours into it. It felt like Halo: CoD to me, which I'm sure is exactly what some wanted, but I couldn't get on with it at all.

xalener

Neo Member
That's one thing I never got. Why reach exclusively outside the demo? They knew (heavy emphasis on "knew," a level beyond caps lock called caps lock 3) that there were decisions that people would vomit at.

So much shit about Halo 4 racks my fucking brain. There's gotta be stories there.

I know many people who hate Halo gameplay and love CoD, so...those guys, I guess?
and those guys played halo 4 for a week and fucked back off to cod where they belong.
That's one thing I never got. Why reach exclusively outside the demo?

So much shit about Halo 4 racks my fucking brain. There's gotta be stories there.

stories are: superfluous changes and wanting to get away from good gameplay

klodeckel

Banned
Everything that is bad in Halo 4 pretty much started with Halo: Reach in some form (just that Reach had the most ugly Halo weapon versions ever). I feel like 343 just went the route that Reach began with. All the strange design decisions that break the typical Halo experience in Halo 4 already existed in Halo: Reach. I am not saying Halo 4 is a good Halo multiplayer experience like it should be. That is simply not the case. But I think many of the things 343 implemented into the game were actually born at Bungie.

I mean, somehow I can understand how some of the decisions were made. Halo: Reach had loadouts, unbalanced abilities, sprint and so on. Now, you - a new studio - are suddenly responsible for a new game. What will you do? Of course at first you will try to continue and expand on what's already there. And that's pretty much what 343 did. I think they said it often enough: they know what they did wrong. And so far - if Halo 2: Anniversary is any indication - I am somewhat happy that it's not Bungie that is responsible for the future of the Halo franchise. Especially with Destiny in mind.

xalener

Neo Member

Nah. Something real went down and I want to know what. Purist bias aside. Subjectivity be damned. Someone made a ballsy decision and a bad one.

Is that what it was? They thought they would shake up some controversy and gain interest through sheer noise?

DJ Gunner

Halo 4's presentation was on par with a JJ Abrams film. The sound effects alone were so over the top and in your face you damn near missed the extreme amounts of lens flare. What irked me the most was the total ruination of the mystery behind the Forerunners, but coming in a close second was an antagonist that was astonishingly underwhelming. The gameplay itself could be fun at times, but the game was far more linear and corridor-based than previous entries and left me with no desire to play through again just for fun.

Multiplayer- well, it's all been said here before.

Homeboyd

and those guys played halo 4 for a week and fucked back off to cod where they belong.

If I was to guess what your favorite video game of all time was, I would have to go with...

Halo 4.

Am I right?

It's cool... I know I am.

xalener

Neo Member
They totally sacrificed Halo's Arena-y open-ness for high frequency detail in Halo 4. At least that's one thing I know will be better in 5.

It'd better fuckin' be.

Not sure if posted. Pro players impressions of MCC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuJcxA5I6Kw#t=187

Anyone spot this? I hadn't seen the weapon sets before personally. Obviously those that get hands on time know all about it.

IJDq3LV.jpg

Also people actually have problems taking down the Mantis? Really?

Chitown B

2005 or 2006.

I played quite a bit of 2 with my brother even though I kinda sucked at it. I've played Halo since about 2003 though when I bought CE. I played 3 the most.

interesting. I started online with Halo 3 in 2007 and that's my favorite. I like 1 a lot locally, and 2 I kinda missed out on because at the time I loved the Halo CE pistol.

Heretic

Shameless self-advertising Halo video. Not sure if you guys like these sorta videos but after watching the Spartan Op's cutscenes, I felt the urge to make another small little trailer thing that may generate some hype for future Halo campaigns. Yay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLIdhD0hnoI

It took me long, and quite painful hours to put this thing together.

feel free to hate on how much palmer is in the video.

oh also, I didn't work that hard on the description so don't smash me too hard on it if it's bad :C

EDIT: One more thing, due to copyrighted music, the video might not be available in some countries. Sowwy.

I liked it. Thanks for sharing!

Homeboyd

Shameless self-advertising Halo video. Not sure if you guys like these sorta videos but after watching the Spartan Op's cutscenes, I felt the urge to make another small little trailer thing that may generate some hype for future Halo campaigns. Yay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLIdhD0hnoI

It took me long, and quite painful hours to put this thing together.

feel free to hate on how much palmer is in the video.

oh also, I didn't work that hard on the description so don't smash me too hard on it if it's bad :C

EDIT: One more thing, due to copyrighted music, the video might not be available in some countries. Sowwy.
I watched it.. Was entertained. Mission accomplished. Nice job.

And thanks to the dude above for bumping it. I missed it the first time.

Havoc2049

The Mantis sucks.

Halo 4 does have good base gameplay.

The way MS/Bungie did Halo 2 DLC was the best.

Single:
CE>Halo 2>ODST>Halo 3=Reach>Halo 4

Multi:
Halo 2>CE>Halo 3>Halo 4>Reach

Forever suprised how high 4 ranks around other Halo games for some people.
Most of the time a player's favorite halo is whichever game they first played. Halo:CE was always my favorite game and that probably won't change, but matchmaking on live was such an epic experience when Halo 2 arrived. Super fond memories for both games. When Halo 3 came out, I think I spent more time complaining on gaf about it than actually playing the game and then things only went further downhill for Reach and then Halo 4. I'm looking forward to jumping back into the originals.

belushy

Banned

Ogre 2's new team announced.

I'm sad it isn't Naded. Naded, Royal 2, Snakebite, and Ogre 2 were grinding H2 XBC every night two months ago and the squad was looking pretty good. Heinz is a good player though.

IHaveIce

Banned
Ogre 2's new team announced.

I'm sad it isn't Naded. Naded, Royal 2, Snakebite, and Ogre 2 were grinding H2 XBC every night two months ago and the squad was looking pretty good. Heinz is a good player though.
Royal 2s and Snakebites only chance to be relevant for a competive game again.

I think Heinz and Ogre deserve better players in their team.

Also Diesel has to learn to sgut his mouth.

VinFTW

Royal 2s and Snakebites only chance to be relevant for a competive game again.

I think Heinz and Ogre deserve better players in their team.

Also Diesel has to learn to sgut his mouth.

Christ, Snake bite? That guy was on Twitch the other day talking shit about most players. He seems like a cocky douche.

Top Bottom