• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

belushy

Banned
Royal 2s and Snakebites only chance to be relevant for a competive game again.

I think Heinz and Ogre deserve better players in their team.

Also Diesel has to learn to sgut his mouth.

Ogre 2, Royal 2, and Snakebite are good friends from what I can tell during their interactions during their streaming. I think they enjoy teaming together and teaming with people you know you won't fight with is pretty a nice bonus. Snakebite and Royal 2 are a pretty good duo. 1st place finish at MLG Columbus 2012 with Enable and Flamesword, and before that a 2nd place finish at Nationals with Clutch and Dersky.

Most of the time a player's favorite halo is whichever game they first played. Halo:CE was always my favorite game and that probably won't change, but matchmaking on live was such an epic experience when Halo 2 arrived. Super fond memories for both games. When Halo 3 came out, I think I spent more time complaining on gaf about it than actually playing the game and then things only went further downhill for Reach and then Halo 4. I'm looking forward to jumping back into the originals.
Yeah I can understand that, I have noticed people that really enjoyed 4 didn't think much of 2-3 (take from that what you will).

What didn't you like about 3 out of curiosity?

Karl2177

They've had walkers before in the canon. I'd argue that the Mantis is just a cool idea that wasn't implemented very well. Make is smaller, slightly faster, knock-over-able, and maybe swap the rockets out for a Splaser+ and I think you've got something.

Just because they've had walkers(an exo-skeleton) before doesn't mean that it suddenly fits the motif. Make it faster, smaller, and deadlier? Those are all terrible ideas.

Just because they've had walkers(an exo-skeleton) before doesn't mean that it suddenly fits the motif. Make it faster, smaller, and deadlier? Those are all terrible ideas.

I think a UNSC "walker" would probably have to be closer to a Power Loader in design to really fit the old design scheme.

Karl2177

I think a UNSC "walker" would probably have to be closer to a Power Loader in design to really fit the old design scheme.

Ehhhh. It'd be the closest, but it's still not that great. Something that's also a little bit interesting is that aside from the Mantis and the Halo 2 Scarab(which in all technicalities gameplay wise--isn't a vehicle), all vehicles have a center of gravity relatively close to the ground, with the Halo 3 Scarab being the furthest from the ground proportionally and in sheer distance.

Also, why the hell is everything on the wiki organized by their fiction name? Aside from you, no one seeks out information on the M510 Siegework/Ultra-Heavy Mobile Anti-Aircraft Weapons Platform(which is apparently the Mammoth).

Since this chat is going around...

Played since OG Xbox & CE, hated the latency of PC CE + XBConnect, absolutely slayed Halo 2 (like 15,000+ games), loved Halo 3 objective (a bit less than I loved Halo 2 bomb/clan objective), Reach I still enjoyed but objective slipped away community wise here and I've enjoyed Halo 4 more and more the longer it's been around, still salty assault and 1 sided games got the axe. So fucking hyped for MCC and H2A.

Campaign:
Halo 2 (for Cairo Station, Delta Halo & Outskirts) > Halo CE > Halo 4 > Halo 3 > ODST > Reach.

Multi:
Halo 2 OBJ > Halo 3 > Halo 4 (current day) > Reach > CE (some elements I rank the best but it's dated for me now) >

Multi Maps:
Halo 2 >>> Halo 3 > Halo 4 DLC = CE > Reach > Halo 4 launch

Gametypes:
H2 1 bomb > H2/3 1 flag > H2/3/Reach 2 flag > H4 ricochet > H4 flag > slayer > action sack & stockpile/race etc.> Zombies >>>>>> Grifball

Customs:
Halo 3 > Halo 2 = Halo 4 > Reach

Future:
Dedis with MCC & Halo 5 is going to rock my X1 for so long. Hopefully coop campaign is worth playing with dedis and no noticeable input latency.

Special Mention:
ODST firefight > Reach firefight.

Halo 4 turbo movement & gunplay > Halo 2 > Halo 3 > CE (for online from Aus, temper your rage at me or about aim assist).

Halo 2 boss battles
Yeah I said it.

Halo 4 CGI, insane to see Halo story at this level.

Halo Reach/ODST live action, crazy good.

Nylund, that is all.

Ehhhh. It'd be the closest, but it's still not that great. Something that's also a little bit interesting is that aside from the Mantis and the Halo 2 Scarab(which in all technicalities gameplay wise--isn't a vehicle), all vehicles have a center of gravity relatively close to the ground, with the Halo 3 Scarab being the furthest from the ground proportionally and in sheer distance.

Also, why the hell is everything on the wiki organized by their fiction name? Aside from you, no one seeks out information on the M510 Siegework/Ultra-Heavy Mobile Anti-Aircraft Weapons Platform(which is apparently the Mammoth).

It's kind of interesting to note that on the Covenant side, even the Locust still follows the (relatively) low center-of-gravity principle.

And I've got no idea, probably just them trying to seem "official."

Yeah I can understand that, I have noticed people that really enjoyed 4 didn't think much of 2-3 (take from that what you will).

What didn't you like about 3 out of curiosity?
I shouldn't respond since my opinions are not always the most popular, but here you go :cool:

• BR spread - having spent several years playing both CE and Halo 2, I hated not having hit-scan.
  • Broken melee system - hated that it wasn't who melee'd first, but who might have had a sliver more health than the other person.
  • Vehicles - I've always been less than fond of vehicles being too strong in multiplayer. I think they should be entertaining to use, but more of a means to get around rather than a means to rack up double digit kills in a short amount of time. In Halo 3, that was when vehicles became OP killing machines. You could stick a warthog twice and a lot of the time it still wouldn't die. Call me a purist, but I think the heart and soul of halo is in gun skirmishes on foot. Vehicles are for shenanigans akin to the fiesta playlist, but they've been made mainstream in the game. Which is fine, but you better give me the ability to counter vehicles on foot or the whole match turns into a vehicle orgy. There should be a social BTB that is more traditional with lots of vehicles for people to screw around, and then a ranked BTB with limited vehicles, so that it forces you to choose your use of vehicles wisely along with an uber long respawn time when vehicles get destroyed.
  • Rocket launcher lock-on feature removed - I loved that feature.
  • Spartan laser - can't stand it. wish it didn't exist in halo.
  • Pistol - was a pile of dog doo doo in Halo 3 (well basically any halo that isn't combat evolved) I've been butt hurt about the pistol being complete crap ever since Halo 2.
  • AR - too powerful. same in Reach and Halo 4
  • Equipment - was never a fan. Halo 3 was the beginning of armor abilities. Usually people blame Reach, but armor abilities were the next evolution of equipment from 3.

EDIT:
First played was CE and I played 2 a huge amount yet 3 is, and probably will always be my favourite.
Boo! Outlier outlier!! lol ;)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I love watching competitive Halo, but I can almost never keep track of the individual players. I need to start making flash cards or something, lol.

Halo: Combat Evolved didn't have hitscan weapons.

Also, hitscan weapons still have spread to them.
Does it really matter? You can get as technical as you want, but that doesn't change the fact that shooting a BR in Halo 3 was significantly different than using a pistol in CE or a BR in Halo 2. I preferred the first two games :p

Pfhunkie

Depends on the weapon. Last patch H2 BR for example.
What I'm saying is just because they're hitscan doesn't mean they lack spread. That the two aren't mutually exclusive. In fact, projectile based weapons can have zero spread.

Does it really matter? You can get as technical as you want, but that doesn't change the fact that shooting a BR in Halo 3 was significantly different than using a pistol in CE or a BR in Halo 2. I preferred the first two games :p
I don't really feel that I was getting too technical here; I was just saying that saying it was different from CE because it wasn't hitscan was factually incorrect. It seems like you didn't know that when you posted. Also, when not playing online, the Halo 3 BR plays significantly more like the CE pistol than the H2 BR when it comes to how you're meant to aim the weapon. In fact, if Halo CE on MCC has proper netcoding, the Halo CE pistol will work the same way when it comes to aiming as the H3 BR does online.

I shouldn't respond since my opinions are not always the most popular, but here you go :cool:

• BR spread - having spent several years playing both CE and Halo 2, I hated not having hit-scan.
  • Broken melee system - hated that it wasn't who melee'd first, but who might have had a sliver more health than the other person.
  • Vehicles - I've always been less than fond of vehicles being too strong in multiplayer. I think they should be entertaining to use, but more of a means to get around rather than a means to rack up double digit kills in a short amount of time. In Halo 3, that was when vehicles became OP killing machines. You could stick a warthog twice and a lot of the time it still wouldn't die. Call me a purist, but I think the heart and soul of halo is in gun skirmishes on foot. Vehicles are for shenanigans akin to the fiesta playlist, but they've been made mainstream in the game. Which is fine, but you better give me the ability to counter vehicles on foot or the whole match turns into a vehicle orgy. There should be a social BTB that is more traditional with lots of vehicles for people to screw around, and then a ranked BTB with limited vehicles, so that it forces you to choose your use of vehicles wisely along with an uber long respawn time when vehicles get destroyed.
  • Rocket launcher lock-on feature removed - I loved that feature.
  • Spartan laser - can't stand it. wish it didn't exist in halo.
  • Pistol - was a pile of dog doo doo in Halo 3 (well basically any halo that isn't combat evolved) I've been butt hurt about the pistol being complete crap ever since Halo 2.
  • AR - too powerful. same in Reach and Halo 4
  • Equipment - was never a fan. Halo 3 was the beginning of armor abilities. Usually people blame Reach, but armor abilities were the next evolution of equipment from 3.
Agreed on everything except vehicle health, I enjoy the challenge and team coordination that is involved in taking down a vehicle that is effectively running rampant on the map (example been coordinating a trap/road block on rats nest).

All these problems were huge things in Halo 3 but with each iteration of Halo (particularly reach and 4) they have become less annoying and apparent, at least to me.

I don't really feel that I was getting too technical here; I was just saying that saying it was different from CE because it wasn't hitscan was factually incorrect. It seems like you didn't you know that when you posted. Also, when not playing online, the Halo 3 BR plays significantly more like the CE pistol than the H2 BR when it comes to how you're meant to aim the weapon. In fact, if Halo CE on MCC has proper netcoding, the Halo CE pistol will work the same way when it comes to aiming as the H3 BR does online.
No you're fine. I realized I came off sounding like a dick lol. IIRC spread in Halo 3 was implemented to prevent it from being more effective at distance, but perhaps for other reasons too.

EDIT:
Agreed on everything except vehicle health, I enjoy the challenge and team coordination that is involved in taking down a vehicle that is effectively running rampant on the map (example been coordinating a trap/road block on rats nest).

All these problems were huge things in Halo 3 but with each iteration of Halo (particularly reach and 4) they have become less annoying and apparent, at least to me.
I think I've spent the majority of my time online playing halo solo, so that also doesn't help. I just try to stomach the things I don't like. I really dislike the Mantis and the Gauss Hog, and the scorpion, and the banshee haha.

Freeser

The problem is that team coordination is non-existent since H3. Party chat ruined any chance of proper communication unless you go in with a full team.

Pfhunkie

Oh. Probably should have said that the first time, I guess.
When I say they "have spread", I mean they have the same options as any other projectile based weapon. As in, when editing a weapon tag, there's an edit box that says something like "Projectile spread". If you don't want to have spread with the weapon you're using, you'd set the spread to "0".

I'm too used to talking on forums with people who develop mods for Halo PC so I guess I'm used to phrasing things in a way they'd be used to.

When I say they "have spread", I mean they have the same options as any other projectile based weapon. As in, when editing a weapon tag, there's an edit box that says something like "Projectile spread". If you don't want to have spread with the weapon you're using, you'd set the spread to "0".

I'm too used to talking on forums with people who develop mods for Halo PC so I guess I'm used to phrasing things in a way they'd be used to.

I knew what you meant. I was just ever-so-subtly pointing out the irony of correcting someone else's technicality in a sentence, while simultaneously making a blanket statement that was also "technically incorrect".

OUvv1bT.gif

I don't really care one way or another in context of the discussion, but I thought it was funny.

Pfhunkie

I knew what you meant. I was just ever-so-subtly pointing out the irony of correcting someone else's technicality in a sentence, while simultaneously making a blanket statement that was also "technically incorrect".

I don't really care one way or another in context of the discussion, but I thought it was funny.
Ah okay, yeah, I get your point there. xD My apologies for not being able to catch the point flying over my head; I have the poor excuse of lacking sleep right now.

By the way, thanks for the .gif. I laughed :)

The problem is that team coordination is non-existent since H3. Party chat ruined any chance of proper communication unless you go in with a full team.
Well back in the good ol' Halo 3 days I had enough friends on to fill a party at nearly any given time, everyone had mics as well. The trash talk pre and post game was hilarious.
Sadly the numbers dropped off during Reach and then flatlined as 4 drove the final nail home. Most of the guys I used to play with don't even bother to renew gold now.

Hopefully MCC brings the numbers back

Holy burritos batman! I went to get a late night meal just now. The area where I live just put in a new Del Taco, a place I've never been to before. So I ordered the epic fajita burrito and it must weigh 5 pounds! Either it's always huge, or the overnight people must have been bored and made me the biggest burrito possible.

2-epicfajita.png

This is the generic picture of it on their website, but the pic does not do the actual burrito any justice.

Holy burritos batman! I went to get a late night meal just now. The area where I live just put in a new Del Taco, a place I've never been to before. So I ordered the epic fajita burrito and it must weigh 5 pounds! Either it's always huge, or the overnight people must have been bored and made me the biggest burrito possible.

2-epicfajita.png

This is the generic picture of it on their website, but the pic does not do the actual burrito any justice.

Ah Del Taco... Good times.

Pfhunkie

Your videos make me really excited to play Halo: CE multiplayer for the first time.

Keep up the good work man.
Thanks! I've been thinking about getting more gameplay from Combat Evolved uploaded due to MCC coming out but I've been distracted by general life stuff.

Also, sorry for the late reply; I didn't notice your post before :(

Omni

What does the bandana skull even do? Would be funny if it put doo rags on all the enemies in the game.

Isn't it the infinite ammo one? Either that or the Grunt explosion one. I can remember there being a skull in CEA with the same name

Was mainly referring to the "Limited Edition" though. I was under the impression that there wasn't any limited editions... Site isn't loading for me on mobile so I can't check. Blaah /shrugs.

Bandana is infinite ammo/grenades, but reloads are still required.

As for the "limited edition" it looks like it's just a steel book. Still nice, but not earth shattering.

Damn this thing is sexy.
Can't wait for october 28th (the Day One employee edition is a bit different, though, right?)
That's a good question. I don't actually know. Time for some investigating!

EDIT:
Based on this, it sounds like the Day 1 edition is the same or a very similar model as the regular xbox one, but with day 1 embossed on the controller. We need someone to clarify. Where is major nelson lol?

Omni

Whoops I didn't even notice that it said "Limited."

I still like my idea better! lol
I'm sold on the concept. Make it happen, 343i

I'm preloading Destiny right now (I'm loving this new interwebs cap). It looks like I'll be playing on 360 and Xbone because characters are shared between them. So if anyone here wants to add me, my GT is randomrosso93 (I think I already have quite a few of you added buuut)

Top Bottom