• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Mix

You seen the DestinyGAF clan thread? Xbox side lookin' hella lonely, no new friends mothafucka

I'm getting it on both, just depends on which loads faster after the launch tonight. Which ever one finishes first is the one I'll play on.

Welp HaloGAF, I joined the Xbone club

Very cool! I hope you go pick up Destiny. Even if it doesn't fulfill your need in terms of gameplay its a nice way to hold you over until the MCC releases.

jem0208

Yeah that's what I was thinking of.

Don't get me wrong, I'd play a Halo Wars 2. However I'd take ODST 2 over it any day.

Not sure what clan support the game will have (yet to be announced), but if it does there will most certainly be HaloGAF clan.
I think we could possibly see both.

MS obviously want to see at least one Halo title a year and each mainline title takes about 3 years to produce. We could have Halo Wars 2 in 2016 and ODST 2 in 2017.

They would fill the gap just like between Halo 3 and Reach.

VeeP

My guess is Sony. They needed a really solid shooter on their platform, plus they needed to rewire peoples' brains to not associate Bungie with Xbox.

LINK

Yep, Pretty much. A few choice quotes:

Osborne said Sony has been "a really good partner" to Bungie, but the developer is also aware that they have a long way to go with Sony's fans after years of Xbox exclusivity.

"We have to make some inroads with Sony fans, who haven't really experienced any Bungie games before," he said.

"We're building on all four platforms that we've announced. We have to make sure that [Destiny] is amazing everywhere, especially as a new IP. We have to earn all these fans," Osborne said. "But specifically with Sony we have some work to do in terms of awareness and getting people excited about a Bungie game."

I'm sure it was a combination of money & it giving Bungie a few advantages like getting Playstation fans more hyped over Destiny. Activision was probably pleased too, Microsoft gets exclusive CoD content, Sony gets exclusive Destiny content, and they get more money & free marketing. Everyone wins!... except gamers.

Booties

Banned
I'm getting Destiny, but the game doesn't have competitive edge I need. The PvP in the beta felt all over the place to me.

just choose the hunter class and snipe on every map until the MCC is released. sell destiny and 4 shot scrubs all day every day

Tawpgun

It's a good point and would have made me buy a PS4.

Not sure about me. I think I'd end up getting it on the 360 and seeing how the game develops or if it fizzles out. MCC and future Halos are too good to pass up. Even as shitty as Halo 4's MP design were the gameplay was still better than Destiny*

*I haven't played Destiny so I can't really judge, Halo just seems much more fair and skillful. Less random."

EDIT: At Escalation preview... is it me or did the art change? For the better?

I think we could possibly see both.

MS obviously want to see at least one Halo title a year and each mainline title takes about 3 years to produce. We could have Halo Wars 2 in 2016 and ODST 2 in 2017.

They would fill the gap just like between Halo 3 and Reach.

People speculated that the same thing might happen between Halo 4 and 5.

It didn't

User cuyahoga is known to have some pretty good contacts within the industry.

This is some of the comments he left about Bungie:

Grain of salt etc, etc.

On one hand I think Microsoft probably should have done it. Bungie did enough for Microsoft and the Xbox (+ 360) to warrant an investment like that. Good faith and all that.

On the other hand, that is a massive investment and seeing what Bungie did with all that Sony money makes me laugh. I would say what a wasted investment but I'm sure it will sell well regardless of how boring and un-fun it actually is.

Sephzilla

I'm getting Destiny, but the game doesn't have competitive edge I need. The PvP in the beta felt all over the place to me.

I'm super torn on if I'm going to get Destiny. Played the beta and I didn't find a single thing really "bad" about it at all. But when I was done with it my thought was "I'd honestly just rather play Halo"

AlStrong

Okay so these things are cool. reposting from HBO, I don't know why I'm not over there much anymore.

Reach's rain actually interacted with the environment as per droplet. I never noticed this and it's really cool.

Yeah, Chris Tchou went into detail about their particle collisions back at GDC2011 (Halo Reach Effects Tech - really good read if you have time to download the 434MB file).

IIRC, their particles will also do a comparison check against the screen space normals buffer (from the G-buffer), so depending on the speed and directions, the particles can be seen to react to the bumps/normals in the textures themselves, not just the plain geometry, but it's probably not particularly obvious.

edit: just a shame they don't have a particular moment like the golden shower on the wraith in the 1st Vidoc.

rrc1594

Fuck Halo, Destiny tonight

Live hard, dong harder

image.php

Fuchsdh

Yeah, Chris Tchou went into detail about their particle collisions back at GDC2011 (Halo Reach Effects Tech - really good read if you have time to download the 434MB file).

IIRC, their particles will also do a comparison check against the screen space normals buffer (from the G-buffer), so depending on the speed and directions, the particles can be seen to react to the bumps/normals in the textures themselves, not just the plain geometry, but it's probably not particularly obvious.

edit: just a shame they don't have a particular moment like the golden shower on the wraith in the 1st Vidoc.

Does Bungie still update its own publications page or do you have to go hunt for GDC materials and the like now? I always really enjoyed those presentations, even if they were more technical (and occasionally they were much more broad too like how Floodgate was ripped from Cortana in Halo 3.)

AlStrong

Does Bungie still update its own publications page or do you have to go hunt for GDC materials and the like now? I always really enjoyed those presentations, even if they were more technical (and occasionally they were much more broad too like how Floodgate was ripped from Cortana in Halo 3.)

They seem to have taken their publications down on their main site. :(

You should be able to find the past GDC ones still on gdcvault.com (search for "bungie" or "Halo").

You can find some other tech-heavy material here (SIGGRAPH): http://advances.realtimerendering.com/ (there's a really lengthy one on Destiny's renderer from 2013's conference).

Fracas

#fuckonami
This will be reversed in November!

Can't wait to play a balanced competetive FPS again

Still can't get over how bad Destiny's PvP is. I'd take vanilla Halo 4 over it any day.

At least Iron Banner is hilarious. it's the Call of Duty "rich get richer" game design taken even further

Mix

Still can't get over how bad Destiny's PvP is. I'd take vanilla Halo 4 over it any day.

At least Iron Banner is hilarious

Iron Banner is the most frustrated I've ever been in gaming. I cannot believe how hilariously unbalanced it is.

Can I use 120 100x1 strips of pixels to make up an avatar of every MCC multi map in the franchise?

And then use the remaining pixels to shove catinglasses.png and subzero.gaf into it?

If not it'll probably be Chiron or Gephyrophobia. No shame.

Homeboyd

Hope Solo is on my flight.

Divine.
Walk over to her and say, "Hi there. My people call me Toshi. I hope you're flying solo. How's about you and I join the mile high club?" Then slug her on the shoulder and wink.

I will not be held responsible for what happens next.

Top Bottom