• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Fuchsdh

Vooduu, just cool your jets. There has been a rich history of users who just couldn't post constructively or spammed the thread with a lot of junk responses, and got banned.

Some say they still haunt these ancient threads...

As for Escalation, if it wasn't made clear by the reaction on here, respected community members have told the people responsible to their faces what they thought of the art. They know. How much can be or will be done, and how much lag time there is to actually seeing any possible changes to the comic, I dunno.

Vooduu

As for Escalation, if it wasn't made clear by the reaction on here, respected community members have told the people responsible to their faces what they thought of the art. They know. How much can be or will be done, and how much lag time there is to actually seeing any possible changes to the comic, I dunno.

Nothing is going to change.

TheXbox

I haven't read these comics but I hope it ultimately culminates with the Didact's death, and that he is never mentioned again.

I haven't read these comics but I hope it ultimately culminates with the Didact's death, and that he is never mentioned again.

I don't know about "never mentioned again," but otherwise I agree. This is them wrapping up the Didact, permanently. He may come up again as backstory, but it'll probably be limited to his actions in Halo 4.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Part of me wonders if gamers who've primarily gamed on Playstation consoles in the past are more excited for Destiny than Xbox gamers because they don't have Halo to compare it to. Or in other words, fewer Playstation focused gamers have played Halo, and I wonder how that affects their perception of Destiny. I'm seeing sooooo many more PS4 owners than XB1 owners in the Destiny thread -- which, of course, is partially a matter of how well the two consoles have sold.

I know Destiny is a different game than Halo and that it's not inherently worse for having different aspirations, but as a huge Halo fan I can't help but wish Destiny was more like Halo, lol.

Ramirez

I wonder if MS regrets forcing Bungie into independence basically by making them a Halo only studio. Destiny might as well be a PS4 exclusive going off the advertising.

I wonder if MS regrets forcing Bungie into independence basically by making them a Halo only studio. Destiny might as well be a PS4 exclusive going off the advertising.

I don't mind the exclusivity or timed exclusivity business side of things but to simply not allow Xbox to even advertise Destiny seems like a kick in the teeth. Especially when you factor in the game is available on two xbox consoles. I wonder who proposed that part of the deal initially...Bungie or Sony or Activision?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I don't mind the exclusivity or timed exclusivity business side of things but to simply not allow Xbox to even advertise Destiny seems like a kick in the teeth. Especially when you factor in the game is available on two xbox consoles. I wonder who proposed that part of the deal initially...Bungie or Sony or Activision?
My guess is Sony. They needed a really solid shooter on their platform, plus they needed to rewire peoples' brains to not associate Bungie with Xbox.

Omni

How did HaloGaf feel about Halo Wars? I enjoyed it
Campaign was a snooze fest. I'm talking level design here. Cutscenes were amazing. Storywise there were small bits that perhaps went against canon (I'm talking very nitpicky details here. Like Elites not having energy shields and Elite minors carrying staves [or Elite Honor Guards with the wrong colours... Whatever way you wanna look at it])

Gameplay controls is where it excelled.

But it felt watered down compared to C&C which was also on 360. My biggest issue was the single HUB bases. Takes a layer of skill out of an RTS when you don't need to worry about base building as such. Plus the low pop cap was a bit frustrating

My guess is Sony. They needed a really solid shooter on their platform, plus they needed to rewire peoples' brains to not associate Bungie with Xbox.

Yup. Considering Bungie worked in Microsoft offices right up until 2007, then kept making Xbox only content until 2010 as an LLC, it's pretty important to emphasize that there has been some pretty big changes.

I found Stinkles response to it. That doesn't mean anything in my eyes, since Frankie says that every time there is a rumour or leak. :p

Yeah that's what I was thinking of.

Don't get me wrong, I'd play a Halo Wars 2. However I'd take ODST 2 over it any day.

Just wondering if we'll be forming a GAF clan when the MCC releases?

Not sure what clan support the game will have (yet to be announced), but if it does there will most certainly be HaloGAF clan.

Akai__

Yeah that's what I was thinking of.

Don't get me wrong, I'd play a Halo Wars 2. However I'd take ODST 2 over it any day.

8gu3q2Q.gif

We're speculating long term here anyway. We're getting Nightfall and MCC this year, Halo 5 next year, so we're really looking at late 2016+ for another non-mainline game.

Yep pure speculation. Good thing is we know, that major Halo games have a 3 year dev-cycle, so that opens up possibilities for spinoff titles during that time.

We're speculating long term here anyway. We're getting Nightfall and MCC this year, Halo 5 next year, so we're really looking at late 2016+ for another non-mainline game.

Tawpgun

I wonder how much that would cost?
more or less than titanfall/tomb raider

Well Titanfall and Tomb Raider are actual exclusives, timed or not. Regardless of PC.

Destiny I would argue is the bigger game though, and its expensive. Activision is marketing it like crazy and I wonder if the PS4 is picking up a lot of that tab.

Either way, I'm just glad its even coming to Xbone and at the same time too. If Destiny had been a PS4 exclusive it would have made my next gen decision a lot harder.

dwells

I wish the Halo plotline would go back to how it was in the Halo 1 days. I liked the Covenant being dark, ominous, and mysterious. I particularly liked the universe as described in The Fall of Reach.

Once they decided to make the Covenant speak English and chronicle the Arbiter ("look, they're just like us, except with more mandibles!"), it kind of ruined it for me. Then Gravemind struck me as cheesy and I couldn't take it seriously at all.

If I recall correctly, I think Halo 3 ODST and Reach were really solid steps forward in storytelling or at least in setting a compelling atmosphere. It's been a while since I played either, and I seem to recall not being all that attached to the characters in Reach, but I still think they were better than H2 or H3.

Halo 4, however, was a huge step backwards and essentially ruined it all for me. The Forerunners, long fabled and oft alluded to throughout the Halo lore, were reduced to generic evil bad guy who destroys everything with his brain. It was so cheesy and over the top that I couldn't even care about the loss of Cortana, which was supposed to be a big deal.

And on that topic, there's so, so much more they could have done with Cortana and rampancy. The obvious parallels to Alzheimer's, better exploration of attachment and loss, what it means to be human and what defines our "humanity," ethical and technological implications, etc.

Anyway, Halo 5 is going to be a new entry on a new console by a (fairly) new studio. I really hope they take it as a chance to truly reboot the franchise.

Fuchsdh

I don't buy that. Bungie complained about becoming a Halo-only studio... and then decided to spend the next 10 years doing nothing but Destiny instead? I'd buy getting more creative control or IP rights over "we didn't want to keep doing the same game" because that's exactly what they're doing this time around too (and they've apparently killed every side project we heard of.)

A fun game. Still got to finish the campaign coop and legendary to 100% it--the missions are brutal on that difficulty, even with advantageous skulls.

You seen the DestinyGAF clan thread? Xbox side lookin' hella lonely, no new friends mothafucka

Ramirez

I don't buy that. Bungie complained about becoming a Halo-only studio... and then decided to spend the next 10 years doing nothing but Destiny instead? I'd buy getting more creative control or IP rights over "we didn't want to keep doing the same game" because that's exactly what they're doing this time around too (and they've apparently killed every side project we heard of.)

A fun game. Still got to finish the campaign coop and legendary to 100% it--the missions are brutal on that difficulty, even with advantageous skulls.

There were other things that soured the relationship too, but I don't think ms was willing to let them focus fully on a new ip at the time.

Loved it! Especially liked the story, but the RTS mechanics were fairly impressive as well. Really hoping that tease in the Phantom Dust trailer materializes into a full game :)

I wish the Halo plotline would go back to how it was in the Halo 1 days. I liked the Covenant being dark, ominous, and mysterious. I particularly liked the universe as described in The Fall of Reach.

Once they decided to make the Covenant speak English and chronicle the Arbiter ("look, they're just like us, except with more mandibles!"), it kind of ruined it for me. Then Gravemind struck me as cheesy and I couldn't take it seriously at all.

If I recall correctly, I think Halo 3 ODST and Reach were really solid steps forward in storytelling or at least in setting a compelling atmosphere. It's been a while since I played either, and I seem to recall not being all that attached to the characters in Reach, but I still think they were better than H2 or H3.

Halo 4, however, was a huge step backwards and essentially ruined it all for me. The Forerunners, long fabled and oft alluded to throughout the Halo lore, were reduced to generic evil bad guy who destroys everything with his brain. It was so cheesy and over the top that I couldn't even care about the loss of Cortana, which was supposed to be a big deal.

And on that topic, there's so, so much more they could have done with Cortana and rampancy. The obvious parallels to Alzheimer's, better exploration of attachment and loss, what it means to be human and what defines our "humanity," ethical and technological implications, etc.

Anyway, Halo 5 is going to be a new entry on a new console by a (fairly) new studio. I really hope they take it as a chance to truly reboot the franchise.

I disagree with this on... basically every level. The Covenant never struck me as "dark, ominous, and mysterious" in CE. The Flood, sure, but the Covvies? No. They were alien badguys I shot in the face a bunch. Introducing the Arbiter and his associated stuff (particularly the political intrigue) gave them a lot more character. And if you think Gravemind was just cheesy... I don't know what to tell you. Dude really spooked me out.

H3 was, for me, slightly weaker in regards to story than H2, though the campaign was better overall due to having some truly superb levels. As for Reach, setting aside my continuing irritation at the canon override performed on Fall of Reach, it was pretty damn good at setting an atmosphere. I'll give you that.

I'm one of the handful of people who actually liked Halo 4 on the whole, though I'll admit to having issues with level design (overly linear, too much button pushing, QTEs). I really liked the story, and I appreciated how it tied into the expanded universe (though, again, I get why some people didn't like that). I don't feel like it "ruined" the Forerunners by explaining them, since I hold that on basic principle if an explanation ruins a thing it was never really any good to begin with. Besides, if (as a writer) you hold on to your mysteries for too long, your product will, inevitably, turn into LOST. Chief and Cortana in particular were pretty amazing. Some of the most emotional scenes in the series, and they managed to quite deftly give you an AI companion who actively impedes your progress at points without making her so irritating that people lost sympathy, which is no mean feat.

On the whole, I hope that they don't do anything resembling a "reboot" of the franchise. I think they've got a really solid foundation to tell some fascinating Space Opera stories, and I hope they push forward on that.

TheOddOne

User cuyahoga is known to have some pretty good contacts within the industry.

This is some of the comments he left about Bungie:
Microsoft did indeed pass on the project, as did some other partners. MS did not like the Bungie's demands of IP ownership + huge investment.
While public narrative was about wanting to do something new, my understanding is that breakup was mostly ego/money stuff. They were annoyed about being another developer under MS when they thought their games defined Xbox as a brand. MS, who had contractual right of first refusal for new Bungie projects, passed on Destiny due to the nine-figure budget and IP ownership Bungie demanded, as did most other publishers.
Grain of salt etc, etc.

Top Bottom