• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

wwm0nkey

So next month Destiny is getting more story content and it deals with the Queen of the Reef, also vehicle combat playlist!
We know that there are more story missions in the expansions, but I wouldn't use a quick scene from a video from more than a year before the game came out as a sample. That easily could have been something that's been cut entirely.

So next month Destiny is getting more story content and it deals with the Queen of the Reef, also vehicle combat playlist!

Wait, next month? I thought the first expansion was dropping in December.

Anyway, that's cool. My problem with the story isn't that it's too small, it's that it's exceptionally poorly told. Still, the stuff dealing with the Queen of the Rift was easily my favorite part of the game, so I'm looking forward to it.

For those that don't follow the Destiny OT:

upcoming_events_inline.jpg

wwm0nkey

Wait, next month? I thought the first expansion was dropping in December.

Anyway, that's cool. My problem with the story isn't that it's too small, it's that it's exceptionally poorly told. Still, the stuff dealing with the Queen of the Rift was easily my favorite part of the game, so I'm looking forward to it.
It's not part of the expansion, the Queen sends you on a mission though.

Good to see missions with be added outside of paid expansions, especially considering they haven't exactly been forthcoming with info about how they are going to support/add to the game post-launch (other than selling $40 in expansions a couple months before the game came out).

KiboSenshi

Neo Member
[-] How long have you been a member of NeoGAF? How long have you lurked?
I was just approved yesterday and I lurked for about 3 years.

[-] How old are you? What country or state are you posting from?
Turned 18 in march. Born and raised in Oregon.

[-] How long have you been a Halo fan? Have you played all the games?
I really became a halo fanatic around age 10. Played every game, read most the books. Haven't started the Karen Travis novels.(heard she destroyed Halsey's character)

[-] What mode do you spend most of your time in? (i.e. Multiplayer, Campaign, Forge, Firefight, Theater)
Multiplayer for sure, but I love campaign just as much. I'm a big lore fan.

[-] What is your favorite playlist? (i.e. MLG, Action Sack)
Hmmm probably Team Slayer, maybe doubles. BTB also holds a very special place in my heart.

[-] AR or BR?
BR for sure.

[-] Highest Halo 3 level and what playlist?
35 in team doubles, I believe.

[-] Favorite Halo 2 map?
Competetive wise, Lockout. Terminal is a close second.

[-] Favorite all-time Halo map?
Blood Gulch or The Pit.

[-] Other Halo sites/forums you have been a member of.
Bungie, Reddit, HBO among others.

[-] Any other games you spend a lot of time playing.
Right now, Destiny and Resident Evil 4.
Series I spend or spent a lot of time on; MGS, Mass Effect, Fallout, Dark Souls, etc...

[-] Personal bio stuff. (occupation/hobbies/etc.)
Let's see... Starting college very soon. I'm 6'6'' and wear size 18 shoes. I Don't really like to play sports, but enjoy going to games with friends. Love to draw and read, as well as play games and watch anime. Also enjoy playing music.

Super excited to finally be apart of HaloGaf, hopes everyone accepts me haha

Oh and Halo 3>Halo2>Halo 3: ODST>Halo1>Halo 4=Halo:Reach>Halo Wars.
Don't get me wrong, I thought Halo Wars was great, I just don't particularly like RTS's. I also thought Halo 4 had one of the stronger campaigns, but lacked in everything else.

Nice to meet Everyone:p

The Gamestop Expo was the second convention I've been too – the first being NYCC – and I gotta say I enjoyed this one more.

It wasn't crowded at all. Yeah, the booths were kinda spread out, but it probably seemed that way because there weren't that many people. No long lines meant I could stay at the booth and play and play and play some more. Very easy to move around and just enjoy being there. It was cold at first, but by the afternoon the temperature was pretty comfortable.

Only real problems I had were the kinda sexist comments some boys gave to me while I was at the booth. Most notably, "So, uh, how good are you at this game really?" and any variation thereof. They asked it in a way that was kinda demeaning, as if doubting I had genuine interest in the game and that I didn't belong there.

Cortney got something worse while she was standing in line to play Call of Duty: Advance Warfare multiplayer. Some dude behind her said, "If I lose to this girl I'm going to be so embarrassed."

Karl2177

I'm pretty underwhelmed by Destiny. Hearing about stalagcicles and waterfalls makes me disappointed in Halo. Maybe I need to find a new hobby.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm pretty underwhelmed by Destiny. Hearing about stalagcicles and waterfalls makes me disappointed in Halo. Maybe I need to find a new hobby.

I'm having fun playing co-op but yeah, I can't believe Bungie spent so much time on this.

Really hope the majority of the game doesn't lay in paid DLC.

The Gamestop Expo was the second convention I've been too – the first being NYCC – but I gotta say I enjoyed this one more.

It wasn't crowded at all. Yeah, the booths were kinda spread out, but it probably seemed that way because there weren't that many people. No long lines meant I could stay at the booth and play and play and play some more. Very easy to move around and just enjoy being there. It was cold at first, but by the afternoon the temperature was pretty comfortable.

Only real problems I had were the kinda sexists comments some boys gave to me while I was at the booth. Most notably, "So, uh, how good are you at this game really?" and any variation thereof.

Cortney got something worse while she was standing in line to play Call of Duty: Advance Warfare multiplayer. Some dude behind her said, "If I lose to this girl I'm going to be so embarrassed."

Thanks for the write up, I always miss events being from the land down under so it's nice to get an insight. As for the first comment, obviously I can't read into the tone as you would in person, I think there is a curiosity factor to guys genuinely wanting to know just how good some ladies can be. As for the second one that's just straight up shit, no excuses. It does sound like they're were young "boys" but they should know better.

We have a regular gal we play online Halo with and she is quite solid at paintball IRL too, my misses totally sucks a FPS/Halo but can beat me at tennis or golf games. As for Halo specifically I've played online with FragDolls of old and some of them have very good Halo skills individually and dedicated teamwork that exceeds many male gamers I've played with/against. That said I wouldn't put those ladies in the class of the best I've seen from Halo pros or even the best I've seen in my friends circles or ranked online either. Of course I'm not putting ladies down but just illustrating the curiosity and comparison nature of boys vs. girls.

Of course you know the tone and demeanour so I'm not trying devalue your comments but just highlighting there are males, such as myself, who genuinely have interest in how good the opposite sex can be at Halo. I have a curiosity factor about the opposite gender and Halo skills and would ask questions similar to #1. Likely I would assess said skills myself rather than straight out ask though, which just comes off rude or arrogant.

#2 is a straight up dick move though, sorry you ladies have to deal with that sort of garbage online or IRL.

I'd love to see the reverse from a decade of these gender observations and watch a LAN tourney get dominated by a chick individually or a ladies team. Twitch gold if you ask me.

Karl2177

I'm having fun playing co-op but yeah, I can't believe Bungie spent so much time on this.

Really hope the majority of the game doesn't lay in paid DLC.

I don't want to delve too off-topic, so I'll just keep it short.

Bungie kept saying that they want this to be a world that you get lost in and want to come back to. While the visuals are great and looks like it could be a real place, the world just feels so stale. Mass Effect, Borderlands, and Fallout all have massive worlds and they feel more alive than this one. I get that the world is being filled with "Darkness," but clearing the same enemies out of the same positions feels like the world has spawn points(which isn't something you want in immersion). The Tower doesn't feel like it is part of the last city, it feels like a game menu that I can run around in. To clarify that, the only people I can interact with in the Tower are other players and the vendors. The game just needs more life.

I might write something up on this, but I'm getting really lazy at doing this.

Fuchsdh

Good to see missions with be added outside of paid expansions, especially considering they haven't exactly been forthcoming with info about how they are going to support/add to the game post-launch (other than selling $40 in expansions a couple months before the game came out).

Their PAX panel was entirely about post-launch support. I didn't attend so I don't know if it covered what you're talking about, but they've certainly addressed what they're doing post-launch.

People's expectations of Destiny are unfathomably high.

Game is good. It had its down sides (which game doesn't?), but I'm pretty happy with it overall.

Dat Marty Mars Music™ is so good.

Their PAX panel was entirely about post-launch support. I didn't attend so I don't know if it covered what you're talking about, but they've certainly addressed what they're doing post-launch.

I watched the panel, they did not remotely address plans for post-release, other than say they were going to talk about it and then not talk about.

It was an enjoyable panel, but it was pretty much just a casual discussion of their experiences leading up to and during development of Destiny.

I want to believe the closed doors in earth are end game material but locked too.

You certainly get those feels with a few places in Destiny, lots of potential. I love the scale of the main environments and exploring when on patrol but I've been caught out a number of times e.g. moon sparrow off a cliff to my death or invisible walls (which suck ass TBH).

I keep seeing elements of the environment and want to go there or interact and can't e.g. satellites flying over head or watching a meteor hit a crater but dying when trying to investigate or the buildings on the moon you can see but can't go there. I guess it's a dual edged sword with games of this design and atmosphere. Bungie has solid attention to detail in this game and I love the immersion so I guess I'm just wanting to explore it all a little too much.

I'm reminded of Halo with invis-death barriers stopping exploration. Any way you cut it the world they've built is beautiful to look at and explore.

Any HaloGaffers that have Destiny on xbox not get the inner chamber Emblem? I have on my main account i have halo 3, halo reach, odst & marathon registered as played with achievements. the inner chamber emblem requires you to have played 4 of the last 6 bungie games so shouldnt that unlock it?

Omni

Any HaloGaffers that have Destiny on xbox not get the inner chamber Emblem? I have on my main account i have halo 3, halo reach, odst & marathon registered as played with achievements. the inner chamber emblem requires you to have played 4 of the last 6 bungie games so shouldnt that unlock it?

Apparently it's glitched and they're looking into it. Blaah

Madness

Let's see... Starting college very soon. I'm 6'6'' and wear size 18 shoes. I Don't really like to play sports, but enjoy going to games with friends. Love to draw and read, as well as play games and watch anime. Also enjoy playing music.

Super excited to finally be apart of HaloGaf, hopes everyone accepts me haha.

Damn, and here I am wishing I was taller than 5'11" so I could have had a much better career outside of just high school sports. Even a few extra inches would have made all the difference in hockey, football etc.

Welcome though :)

Ramirez

Considering how much HaloGAF loved FF, I'm shocked most of you don't like Destiny. It's just like that, but so much more.

Did a bunch of Heroic strikes tonight, love this game.

TheOddOne

I don't want to delve too off-topic, so I'll just keep it short.

Bungie kept saying that they want this to be a world that you get lost in and want to come back to. While the visuals are great and looks like it could be a real place, the world just feels so stale. Mass Effect, Borderlands, and Fallout all have massive worlds and they feel more alive than this one. I get that the world is being filled with "Darkness," but clearing the same enemies out of the same positions feels like the world has spawn points(which isn't something you want in immersion). The Tower doesn't feel like it is part of the last city, it feels like a game menu that I can run around in. To clarify that, the only people I can interact with in the Tower are other players and the vendors. The game just needs more life.

I might write something up on this, but I'm getting really lazy at doing this.
Lazy Karl pls.

IHaveIce

Banned
Bungie also fully going back on custom lobbies, forge, theater, ranks etc also makes my head spin.

I mean wtf, Destiny is in almost every aspect except Graphics a step back from Halo.

Worse level design, even worse dialogue than Halo etc.

Did they spend the buckloads of money on Paul McCartney or what

willow ve

Anyone know how many people are allowed in the same Tower? And/or why don't clan members all get put in the same tower (as long as they're in the same general geographical area for servers)?

Will we get more Halo 5 info before the beta? Would be nice to hear more about the spartan "abilities" like ground pound or the slide mechanic that we saw in the teaser.

Vico

Will we get more Halo 5 info before the beta? Would be nice to hear more about the spartan "abilities" like ground pound or the slide mechanic that we saw in the teaser.

They're not going to launch the beta without advertising it and showing it to journalists beforehand.

Considering the beta includes 7 maps and new game mechanics, they have a lot to talk about.

Since we already saw a glimpse at Gamescom, I'm sure we won't have to wait 'till MCC's release to see more.

They're not going to launch the beta without advertising it and showing it to journalists beforehand.

Considering the beta includes 7 maps and new game mechanics, they have a lot to talk about.

Since we already saw a glimpse at Gamescom, I'm sure we won't have to wait 'till MCC's release to see more.

Let reals fans play it before the Ryan Mccaffries get to play it. Fuck games journos.

People's expectations of Destiny are unfathomably high.

Game is good. It had its down sides (which game doesn't?), but I'm pretty happy with it overall.

Dat Marty Mars Music™ is so good.
But did Marty get paid for it?

IHaveIce

Banned
Apparently he did it for free or for scale.
More of a rhetorical question.

And my expections weren't high Flatulator, they were set to what Bungie promised and from what their past games delivered.

It didn't even come close. During the beta they always said "it is only the beta, you only scratch the surface"
Bullshit the whole campaign is one big Firefight simulator with setting up your ghost to scan stuff

KiboSenshi

Neo Member
Damn, and here I am wishing I was taller than 5'11" so I could have had a much better career outside of just high school sports. Even a few extra inches would have made all the difference in hockey, football etc.

Welcome though :)
haha thanks:p and yah being tall is pretty great but has its downs. For example: The cost of clothes or trying to find nice looking size 18s for a good price.

m23

Yeah, I was assuming they would show Halo 5 beta stuff before MCC's release to help sell more copies. I'm not so sure anymore.

Madness

To be honest, as excited as I am about Halo 5 and to hear more, we have more than a year from launch. I'd rather hear more about Halo 2 Anniversary, and actually see playlists and how these games will be set up, how ranks work, how the older games look and play etc. Halo 5 beta will come for 3 weeks and then it's gone. The rest is truly what's important for this collection to sell no? If anything the hype will build itself when we get close to beta launch.

Considering how much HaloGAF loved FF, I'm shocked most of you don't like Destiny. It's just like that, but so much more.

Did a bunch of Heroic strikes tonight, love this game.
Destiny is pretty much what I expected after playing the beta, which is Firefight XL. I'm enjoying the hell out of it, especially now that I have better weapons to fight the bulletsponge enemies with.

But good god, the "story" is about as bare-bones as you could get and not very good at all. I'm fairly shocked that, once again, you have to go outside the game to get more depth to the story. Is this going to be the new trend with games, because I'm really not pleased about that shit. If Halo 5 does more of the same, I'm going to be just another angry asshole on the internet, and I'd really rather not do that.

Booties

Banned
So I'm getting the bone on Saturday. I plan on using the same headset, Turtle Beach PX5, bluetooth, surround sound. I searched their forums and it seems I don't have to do anything but plug the optical wire into the xbox one and go from there. I did read on xbox forums that the sound volume is obviously lower, as well as chat. Anyone else have a similar issue with last gen headsets on current gen consoles?

Top Bottom