• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Good interview with Naded over at Waypoint

naded-josh-engel-81d07cdc1e064c5c9e9f4f10e2740df0.jpg

Is his arm tattoo Covie symbols?

Madness

Sanctuary to Shrine, Lockout to Lockdown, Warlock to Warlord most likely. I bet 343 are mad the final map probably revealed this way.

Warlord... really?

Is it primarily due to popularity and for the competitive scene?

There's obviously other maps that could've gotten the hd treatment and it had to be warlock.

What are the reasons maps like backwash, relic, waterworks couldn't get the treatment?

Not that Warlord will look or play bad with all the additions which it won't but... c'mon.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I like Warlock, but I wanted a BTB map, too. But 4v4 is my bread and butter, so I guess it works out in my favor.

jdouglas

Are hit markers a MUST HAVE? How is that remotely competitive for around-the-corner grenades? That's just fishing for a reason to charge into a space with no fear because you already know you have the advantage over whoever is in the room.

Are hit markers a MUST HAVE? How is that remotely competitive for around-the-corner grenades? That's just fishing for a reason to charge into a space with no fear because you already know you have the advantage over whoever is in the room.

Didn't they already axe the grenade hitmarkers from the most recent build?

Omoshai

Neo Member
If true this guy has some dirt on someone over at 343. Seriously, he was overseeing the biggest Halo MP failure ever.

Promote that man.

Indeed, the biggest and quickest drop in numbers for a Halo multiplayer post launch and he's promoted before the launch of the next game. I guess when your part of the genius behind the "Gungoose", you just can't risk letting that talent go elsewhere.

That Kotaku article was worrying. I've noticed frame drops in almost all the footage they've released, and the game is very close to going gold right now. Microsoft says the build they demoed was four months old, which only raises more questions: why are journalists being shown a four month old build of a game that goes gold in a month and change?

The Collection was pitched to us as 1080p 60FPS everything, but H2A at least is 8??p inconsistent FPS. Obviously the game isn't finished and there's still time, but it's not a lot of time. By comparison, Halo 3's beta was four and a half months before launch, and its performance and visuals were pretty much what the finished title looked like.

My concerns regarding fragmentation of the population were echoed as well. What I wanted out of a Halo 2 Anniversary was the ability to go hop into a ranked Team Hardcore, Team Slayer, etc. match and have it feel like Halo 2 did on Xbox - lots of players to match against, highly competitive.

Of course, the Xbox One install base is much smaller than the original Xbox was in 2004, and I suspect the attach rate ratio for Master Chief Collection will be lower than the massively anticipated Halo 2. Mix in the fact that there's now five different multiplayers included, and it seems unlikely/impossible that you'll be able to search a specific playlist for a specific game and have a suitably large population.

It also worries me how little detail we've gotten thus far. We haven't seen any Halo 1 at all, extremely little Halo 3, and no Halo 4. We know absolutely nothing about the dedicated servers, netcode tweaks, etc. As this week's update shows, pretty much no real info is being shared. It's certainly a far, far cry from how the community was engaged in Halo 2's development.

The Master Chief Collection is the most excited I've been for a game since Halo 2 ten years ago and holds the potential to get me back into gaming, but boy does it have me worried.

I am in exactly the same boat and the parts highlighted in bold are of extreme concern for me too. I love the fact there is so much content but its really concerning that if they have 5 different multiplayer games, including all the original maps, DLC ones and PC versions, the playlists are either gonna be combined to the point that no one gets to play what they truly want, or the population is spread too thin across all the hoppers.

Halo 4 really should not have been in the collection. Dev time wise and content wise they didn't need it, except pretty much too feed 343's ego. Reach and ODST have a much better reason to be in the collection then Halo 4, and since it was the start of their new trilogy they should have waited before bringing the game back....if that would ever have been viable anyways.

I think Halo 3 should have had its own collection edition. It would help the population of MCC out and developer time wise ensure the games are more than ready to go. Even splitting it so that there was a MCC 2 with Halo 3 and 4 as the focus. Sure its premature to expect the game not to be "ready" but even the H2A campaign redone graphics clearly need much more work for a supposed two generation jump in technology. It looks worse than Halo 3 did back in 07.

Trey

I've never worried about the population being "spread too thin." I can hop on any Halo game right now and find a match. Having it all under one roof will just make things easier.

Madness

We don't know how Forge will work, or those skybox only spaces. Maybe it will be easy to recreate a lot of BTB maps.

Bit again remember what Ntkrnl had said. That there would be a lot of large maps. Seeing as how H2A and Halo 5 beta are really small map focused, they're probably holding back on BTB for the Halo 5 release. Maybe they had more, but decided to roll them into Halo 5 or possibly DLC?

So it's Lockout, Coagulation, Sanctuary, Ascension, Warlock and Zanzibar for H2A, plus Forge. Really need to see what playlists will be like, will be hard to maintain say BTB only with this list.

IHaveIce

Banned
So is this real?
god I hope so!
Warlock is awesome, now let us hope for free dlc for the remaining maps. In other words they should have scrapped the Halo 4 port and just added the other Halo 2 maps

Hope not, that map can easily be remade in Forge
you have no idea what is possible with Halo 2As forge, also forge maps are bad most of the time.

Oh and what a joke with Kevin Franklin, that guy shouldn't be anywhere near to a Halo game

FyreWulff

you have no idea what is possible with Halo 2As forge, also forge maps are bad most of the time.

It's based off Halo 4's Forge, now with no budget but just an object limit. Warlock is a small map. I could remake it in Reach's Forge right now if I really wanted to in a few hours for a polished version. And H2A's Forge has even more features than Reach Forge.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
What if Coagulation is actually just one section of a much larger Forge World that also includes Waterworks and Terminal.

/pipedream

King Leo

Neo Member
Warlock was a popular map among the competitive scene. You have to take into account that H2A will most likely be the game played in future tournaments. Having one more symmetric arena map is only logical. Don't get me wrong - I would have loved to see Burial Mounds, Headlong, or Waterworks, but I'm also content with Warlock. I have so many memories on that map playing CTF doubles. I love Max.

Also.. first post. \o/

Madness

True, but as others have said, it's also easily forgeable. So if the new Forge is amazing as it sounds, it would have been easy to get a map like this recreated. What is harder would be a new BTB, fully fleshed out with textures, a new skybox etc. I'm happy either way.

Plus you never know, what if they're saving a lot of stuff for Halo 5? There's no reason Halo 5 Guardians can't ship with more than the average number of maps we're used to. It's a new gen.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Warlock was a popular map among the competitive scene. You have to take into account that H2A will most likely be the game played in future tournaments. Having one more symmetric arena map is only logical. Don't get me wrong - I would have loved to see Burial Mounds, Headlong, or Waterworks, but I'm also content with Warlock. I have so many memories on that map playing CTF doubles. I love Max.

Also.. first post. \o/
Yeah, like I said before, the 4v4 fan in me has a hard time complaining about the H2A map selection. I'm honestly thrilled 343 is giving competitive Halo fans so much to love. But I like to dabble with BTB sometimes, too!

Yeah, like I said before, the 4v4 fan in me has a hard time complaining about the H2A map selection. I'm honestly thrilled 343 is giving competitive Halo fans so much to love. But I like to dabble with BTB sometimes, too!

Here's hoping such moves retain the population we all want Halo to.

King Leo

Neo Member

Seeing how H2A has such a limited selection, I wouldn't be surprised if future map DLC is released after some months. I'm actually confident this will happen. Maybe a couple more remastered maps.. one of them being a BTB map. We can hope. :)

Omni

Warlock?

8-things-you-could-be-doing-instead-of-working-miss-kl-blog-13783564394gkn8.gif

Unless Coag is big and is kinda Forge World 2.0, then I don't see myself playing Anniversary at all really. Oh well

Madness

Warlock?

8-things-you-could-be-doing-instead-of-working-miss-kl-blog-13783564394gkn8.gif

Unless Coag is big and is kinda Forge World 2.0, then I don't see myself playing Anniversary at all really. Oh well

So you were just in it for BTB? Remember, one of the biggest problems with Halo 4 was it's over reliance on large maps and BTB. Smaller maps are needed for 2v2, FFA, 4v4, SWAT, Team Snipers etc. I'm not saying one necessarily needs to be larger, but small to mid-sized maps should always be more plentiful than large maps.

Even then, there is only 4 smaller maps, and 2 larger maps, so it's not really enough for both groups as it is no?

I still think most of us will end up shifting to Halo 2 and Halo 3 for most of the playing, especially once the beta is done. But we don't know how the playlists will work.

Captain Friendo

Neo Member
Seeing how H2A has such a limited selection, I wouldn't be surprised if future map DLC is released after some months. I'm actually confident this will happen. Maybe a couple more remastered maps.. one of them being a BTB map. We can hope. :)
Not sure if there'll be DLC or if they'll just add some forged maps into the fray.
Also nice avatar, I have a poster of that hanging up above my xbox.

IHaveIce

Banned
Zanzibar and coagulation makes 2 btb maps guys.

I'm sure the lack of coag footage speaks for a big forgeworld.
DLC is also possible.

Warlock is awesome though

Striker

Because CEA had 2 BTB and 4 small maps. They taking the anniversary treatment literally.
Both of those maps were pretty big, though. Even once Timberland's size got reduced.

Zanzibar was always a 4v4 or 6v6 map. Built for one flag and rapid assault. Forcing it as a BTB map is sketchy and just screams "more variety", even considering you very rarely saw it pop up in Halo 2's playlist. It would have made more sense to do Terminal.

I'm just happy to see strong objective maps regardless of the split in anniversary.

of course almost all the maps in 2 were good objective maps. So that made it kinda easy.

Madness

7FrVYVA.jpg

"Despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, some stubbornly maintain that this structure was once a Forerunner arena".

I'm just curious, was this leaked from TGS or from a tester or something back in WA? It's obvious whoever took the shot had to do it quickly with his phone, but if it is from someone at TGS I'm surprised no one from 343 thought that someone would see their final unannounced map through the custom game selection. Maybe it was a closed doors showing and this guy was just going through menus and whoever was with him didn't notice him scrolling the maps.

willow ve

So will Halo actually make a splash in a competitive Esports scene again? Seems like that scene has largely moved from game to game following whatever has the most viewers. Is the MCC really going to get millions of people to watch Halo again? It doesn't seem likely to me.

IHaveIce

Banned
So will Halo actually make a splash in a competitive Esports scene again? Seems like that scene has largely moved from game to game following whatever has the most viewers. Is the MCC really going to get millions of people to watch Halo again? It doesn't seem likely to me.
No it won't get bigger viewers than CoD and so on, who expects that is an idiot

Top Bottom