• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Akai__

I love HaloGAF.

Halo 4 comes with too many big maps => We need more small maps!!!

Halo 2 Anniversary introduces more small maps, than big ones => We need big maps!!!

I literally lol'ed.

I think that is actually a good split of small and big maps...

What if Coagulation is actually just one section of a much larger Forge World that also includes Waterworks and Terminal.

/pipedream

At this point, I feel it has to be. At least to some extent.

Otherwise, it seems BtB will be virtually non existent on the remastered maps.

If I remember correctly, the Halo 2 Anniversary Forge World comes with 3 skybox maps with no terrain on it. Somebody correct me, if I'm wrong, but that's what I understood in the panel with the Forge info drop.

Omni

So you were just in it for BTB? Remember, one of the biggest problems with Halo 4 was it's over reliance on large maps and BTB. Smaller maps are needed for 2v2, FFA, 4v4, SWAT, Team Snipers etc. I'm not saying one necessarily needs to be larger, but small to mid-sized maps should always be more plentiful than large maps.

Even then, there is only 4 smaller maps, and 2 larger maps, so it's not really enough for both groups as it is no?

I still think most of us will end up shifting to Halo 2 and Halo 3 for most of the playing, especially once the beta is done. But we don't know how the playlists will work.

Pretty much. Frankly, I just don't care for small arena maps. I can see why people like them and their value to the competitive side of things but I don't find that style of gameplay fun in comparison to something like BTB. It seems like such an odd decision to not make the maps an even split between small and large. I mean... Halo 2 had some freaking good large maps that haven't been recreated, ever, and yet we're getting another map that has been remade numerous times? Whether in Forge or whatever? Blaah. It's boring.

And Halo 4's problem was that even the BTB maps it included were trash. Or maybe it's the gameplay clouding my impression. Whatever the case I can't think of one that played particularly well

Hope not, that map can easily be remade in Forge

This

Really good 4v4 map but not one that would be top of my list for a new-gen renovation. Ascension is one of the worst maps they could've selected from the Halo 2 stable but at least its open air setting allows for that stunning Halo ring skybox. I always advocate function over form with regards to halo maps but the function is provided by the original three Halo's in this collection; Terminal would've been a perfect map to showcase the power of the One.

Blueblur1

Love Warlock but I would've included a larger map instead. Regardless I'm happy with the map selection even though Coagulation and Zanzibar are the only large maps we're getting (Zanzibar isn't big enough to be considered a large map but whatever).

gAg CruSh3r

I like me some Warlock.

It's a great map but I would rather see a BTB map instead. That you can forge a map like Warlock onto.

Hope not, that map can easily be remade in Forge

This.

I loved warlock, but doing a remake of it seems kind of meh. The map is so small there really isn't a lot you can do to make it shine more than it already did. Maybe it's really waterworks redone :p

Double kill.

This

Really good 4v4 map but not one that would be top of my list for a new-gen renovation. Ascension is one of the worst maps they could've selected from the Halo 2 stable but at least its open air setting allows for that stunning Halo ring skybox. I always advocate function over form with regards to halo maps but the function is provided by the original three Halo's in this collection; Terminal would've been a perfect map to showcase the power of the One.

Triple kill.

I want to see a great bigger map being remade then something small.

Woorloog

Banned
Warlock? Of all the maps, they chose a real boring one? Not disputing that it might be a good competitive map, the map is just boring, both in design (not that boring is necessarily a bad thing, simpler is often better after all) and looks.
Perhaps they're trying to get the game have more "competitive" feel by having more smaller maps but... eh, doesn't seem to be an effective way.

CyReN

So will Halo actually make a splash in a competitive Esports scene again? Seems like that scene has largely moved from game to game following whatever has the most viewers. Is the MCC really going to get millions of people to watch Halo again? It doesn't seem likely to me.

My guess is H2A tourneys will be pushed by 343i, along with a split between H2/H3 for outside tourneys. I don't believe Halo has ever had over 100K+ for people watching, not sure if we ever got an Xbox Stat for the H4GC last year. Going to be an interesting year though.

Gui_PT

Looks like someone got a promotion.

245.gif

I love HaloGAF.

Halo 2 Anniversary introduces more small maps, than big ones => We need big maps!!!

I literally lol'ed.

If I remember correctly, the Halo 2 Anniversary Forge World comes with 3 skybox maps with no terrain on it. Somebody correct me, if I'm wrong, but that's what I understood in the panel with the Forge info drop.
That's not the point. If it were another small map that got remade than it would've been fine, but it's just the fact that there's other maps that could've been glorious with the remake treatment.

Madness

I think there should always be more small to mid-sized maps than large maps. But I agree, as Zanzibar is more a mid to large map, another large map was needed for H2A. Imagine having either containment, terminal, waterworks in addition to all these maps. 4 smaller maps and 3 larger maps would have worked much better. Either way, just need to see the playlist situation now.

Akai__

That's not the point. If it were another small map that got remade than it would've been fine, but it's just the fact that there's other maps that could've been glorious with the remake treatment.

Sorry, but I had an other impression from last page. Sure, some where unhappy about Warlock, but others clearly demand a BTB map.

Holy crap will be playing Halo 5 in three months!

I would like to know, what I'll be playing. 3 months is plenty of time, so a little infromation about anything Halo 5 Beta related would be cool.

Even conccept art would be good enough for me. :/

I would like to know, what I'll be playing. 3 months is plenty of time, so a little infromation about anything Halo 5 Beta related would be cool.

Even conccept art would be good enough for me. :/
You got a video with information and in-engine footage a month ago. Dont expect anything to drop before MCC is out.

They're saving the best maps to remake for Halo 5, like Terminal and Headlong. I mean, they can't let Headlong stay trapped in Reach, can they?

IHaveIce

Banned
Rawr pls. I invited you yesterday for Destiny, I was in need of help man. I NEED IT.
I love Warlock but Fyre is right. That shit can be remade in Forge and basically look like the Halo CE one did anyway lol.

You guys keep saying this, but weren't everyone complaining about just forge remakes?

Of course I would have been happy with almost every Halo 2 map ( Except Gemini)

Blueblur1

Meant to post about this yesterday. I very much doubt that Halo 4's MP design decisions can be attributed solely to Kevin. The decisions themselves seem like they were made by a committee of people who likely thought they were improving Halo MP and were gonna catch the elusive Call of Duty gamer. And considering the property they're working on, I very much doubt any single lead has direct control over any single aspect of the game. I'm sure there are plenty of meetings with peers and leadership before sweeping changes are approved.

How long have you been a member of NeoGAF? How long have you lurked?
Only got around to signing up recently after purchasing my latest PC. Been a frequent lurker over recent years, primarily Halo threads and anything PC gaming related as of lately.

How old are you? What country or state are you posting from? (Optional)
21 Years of age and currently residing in the city of Nottingham, England.

How long have you been a Halo fan? Have you played all the games?
As most became hooked playing CE's campaign co-op with friends as well as competing against family members via system link, the good old days.
Begged for a Xbox & Halo 2 from my parents in the holiday season of 2005 and have been hooked ever since due to the greatness which was Halo 2's online.
Played all the Halo games, pouring countless hours into both Halo 2 & 3 online mainly due to the addictive nature of the 1-50 system.
Playtime tailed off throughout Reach and 4 due to having less free time as I became older and the games were no longer holding my attention as well as the main trilogy once did.
Also read the three Nylund books and I would like to think I am quite clued up on the ever-expanding lore, which I love. Just read a brief summary of Escalation #10..... Wow.

What mode do you spend most of your time in?
I spent most of my time playing Halo in online matchmaking however I've played each of the campaigns of all the games more than enough times.
I also really enjoyed custom games and fun forge maps during Halo 3's peak.

What is your favorite playlist?
The majority of my online experiences have been spent playing Team Doubles across all games. (Fingers crossed for a TMCC playlist across all)
Spent a lot of time during Halo 2 in BTB. Invasion was also a big favorite of mine in the brief spells I had playing Reach.

Help us get to know you better. (Optional)
Looking forward to getting involved with the community again now things are settling down in life. Purchasing an Xbox One primarily for The Master Chief Collection as I am sure many are.

Been a member on numerous gaming websites/forums over the many years of playing Halo and video games in general. I was an avid viewer of the MLG tournaments during the 06-08 seasons.
I would say I just enjoy everything Halo-related, definitely feels like home here and I can't wait for the release of TMCC.
Hoping to fill a void which has been missing a little in my spare time over recent years. Hopes are very high for a flame to be re-ignited with TMCC and Halo 5.

Currently spending my free time attempting to make a small dent in my steam library.

Gui_PT

Meant to post about this yesterday. I very much doubt that Halo 4's MP design decisions can be attributed solely to Kevin. The decisions themselves seem like they were made by a committee of people who likely thought they were improving Halo MP and were gonna catch the elusive Call of Duty gamer. And considering the property they're working on, I very much doubt any single lead has direct control over any single aspect of the game. I'm sure there are plenty of meetings with peers and leadership before sweeping changes are approved.

Hey man, I just post gifs

E: If he was MP Lead or whatever most -if not all- of the changes had to be discussed and accepted by him so it's just easier to blame him and stuff

Blame Stosh.

I love HaloGAF.

I literally lol'ed.

My problem with Halo 4 wasn't the number of BTB maps being made. It was the quality of those maps being made (largely bland and similar looking maps) and the severe lack of small maps in Halo 4. Like you though I do prefer a balance of both large and small maps.
Exactly.

In the H2A remake of Wizard, the teleporters take you to Waterworks.
Bro fist! :)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Probably been covered in this conversation, but MCC Forge has terrain-less skybox only maps. So you can make the massive completely flat map with one crate for cover I have been dreaming of.

belushy

Banned
Probably been covered in this conversation, but MCC Forge has terrain-less skybox only maps. So you can make the massive completely flat map with one crate for cover I have been dreaming of.

And we can use "simple script objects" to make elevators, right????

For real though, Halo needs its AWP map ;]

Both teams start off in a trench on opposite sides of a big, mostly open field. Throw a couple crates around and bam, a badass Sniper/Pistol map. Bring back Elminatio and you have a great combination.

Escalation #10 is out today.
The Master Chief returns in “The Next 72 Hours” part 3! What happened to the Master Chief immediately following the events of Halo 4, and what do those events mean for the future of the crew on the UNSC Infinity? Halo lead writer Brian Reed (Amazing Spider-Man, Ms. Marvel) and Ricardo Sánchez reveal all in the thrilling conclusion to this Halo event!

Published by Dark Horse Comics, Halo: Escalation spins directly out of the events of Halo 4. Below, check out pages 1-6 of Halo: Escalation #10.

Top Bottom