• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Mix

Yeah, Forge Island was ridiculous. Me and zoojoo spen hours in there just goofing off. It was a lot of fun.

As for the resolution in H2A's campaign, I'm perfectly fine with it being the 900p that it will most likely end up being. It's running a lot of stuff at one time what with two engines running in unison constantly.

Juan

Yeah, Forge Island was ridiculous. Me and zoojoo spen hours in there just goofing off. It was a lot of fun.

As for the resolution in H2A's campaign, I'm perfectly fine with it being the 900p that it will most likely end up being. It's running a lot of stuff at one time what with two engines running in unison constantly.

As I tried it, H2A's campaign was not able to achieve 60fps (but the MP part was incredible).

Maybe it was just because of the build, which could be an old one, but the game didn't seem that smooth.

Frank can correct my mistake if it is one, I hope he will, but I'm not that confident when the talk is all bout the H2A campaign running at 60fps and 1080p.

Also, campaign doesn't use dedicated servers for the coop, and it includes all the Halo games of the MCC.

All of the game components with the possible exception of Campaign on H2 A MCC (thanks to the switch for classic mode) will be 1080p, 60fps. We have never said anything other than that and I have personally clarified it in almost every single interview (including AT e3) I have ever done, as folks who follow this stuff are aware.

So please don't try to create a controversy based on a misinterpretation that has been clarified a hundred times. I shan't stand for it!

And to clarify on the bolded, the point is to create an awesome value proposition, and get some legendary games on a single hardware platform at vastly improved fidelity.

All of the MP components, including the H2A new mode, are 1080p, 60fps.

Of course there's a floor. Just a big flat one. Point being you don't have to work with pre-baked geology/geometry.
awww ysssss! 8)
TheWarden_zpsf2c8a628.jpg

Frankie charging in to the rescue!

TTUVAPOR

Banned
All of the game components with the possible exception of Campaign on H2 A MCC (thanks to the switch for classic mode) will be 1080p, 60fps. We have never said anything other than that and I have personally clarified it in almost every single interview (including AT e3) I have ever done, as folks who follow this stuff are aware.

So please don't try to create a controversy based on a misinterpretation that has been clarified a hundred times. I shan't stand for it!

And to clarify on the bolded, the point is to create an awesome value proposition, and get some legendary games on a single hardware platform at vastly improved fidelity.

All of the MP components, including the H2A new mode, are 1080p, 60fps.

Of course there's a floor. Just a big flat one. Point being you don't have to work with pre-baked geology/geometry.

I'm not trying to create a false controversy, was just replying to another poster. I don't read all of your posts, so my apologies if you've confirmed something in previous pages of posts and I don't see it.

Good to hear this clarification coming from you though. :)

That Blue Team vs Didact battle ... WTF

Yes, the Didact was a beast there, but what happened to his telekinesis?

Why is Master Chief suddenly giving university lectures on the mysteries of Life and the Universe?

Now that the Didact is dead, who or what are we supposed to be fighting in the "Reclaimer" saga?

Will Nightfall answer ANY of these questions?

HTupolev

Who knows, but unless they were planning on drastically overhauling the way the games work in network play, I'm not really seeing the issue. Simply moving the games onto a server won't eliminate the button delay (or the pauses when someone's network has a hiccup). In some cases you might be able to find a server host with more optimal network placement than any of the individual clients, but I wouldn't think that the gains would be huge.

Omni

1354106707303.jpg

But seriously I can't wait until I see the hour long Waypoint video detailing everything that is happening in these comics so people can understand Halo 5.

It makes me irrationally angry that they're going this route. I'm not buying your shitty comics. Why are you doing this, 343i. Argh.

1354106707303.jpg

But seriously I can't wait until I see the hour long Waypoint video detailing everything that is happening in these comics so people can understand Halo 5.

It makes me irrationally angry that they're going this route. I'm not buying your shitty comics. Why are you doing this, 343i. Argh.

I don't think they're going to need it, honestly. It wouldn't take much effort to write around the comics, unless they choose to bring in Blue Team, which would require some effort.

I don't think they're going to need it, honestly. It wouldn't take much effort to write around the comics, unless they choose to bring in Blue Team, which would require some effort.

the head writer of Halo 5 is the same dude behind the comics, he and the team probably got this whole thing planned out

HTupolev

the head writer of Halo 5 is the same dude behind the comics, he and the team probably got this whole thing planned out
Halo 5 terminal:

"Congratulations, you have unlocked terminal 3 (50 gamerscore)! Buy a copy of the January 2016 issue of Escalation and enter the code on page 5 into Waypoint to view the terminal video!"

I find the juvenile art style and cheesy script of these Halo comics really annoying, knowing that Leviathan would create something much closer to my tastes.

Fire Marvel. Hire Levi.

Or convince Marvel to hire Levi, whatever works. Just stop watering down the universe with Hanna-Barbera Halo.

As long as it's 900p or more, I'm totally cool with it.

I don't know what you guys are worried about. By the end they'll just throw everything in a sun like in Spec Ops.
I think it was a dwarf star. The star was about 4-5 times the size of requiem.

And to top it off, Laskey be like "We done good, team" queue shouting, cheering, clapping. Just cheesy, imo.

FyreWulff

Oh man, I learn something new about Halo games all the time. I've always just used Halo PC's devmode cheats for screenshots and such. Used bump possession to become a marine on the first level, went and picked up a weapon and killed Chief. The marine says "I didn't mean to do that sir.. whoops".

Didn't even know NPCs had lines for accidentally killing the player.

That was always something that impressed me back in 2001, that there was a stupid amount of funny incidental lines the various marines/Navy men would say depending on the situation. Combine that with their infinite rocket launchers on a Mongoose during the Storm, and I always feel bad when I lose them. I take it as a personal failure on my part, as the Chief.

I also liked how they made dialog/characters come after you if you decide to shoot too many marines/kill Captain Keyes or whatever. Somebody thought about the player doing that and planned accordingly, instead of just A) not having friendly fire work and breaking the illusion a bit or B) instantly failing the mission Call of Duty style

But hey, the man said he didn't keep it loaded, I mean what the fuck!

Madness

So it seems like the Halo 2 Anniversary campaign is either going to suffer a decrease in resolution or frame rate all due to the instant switching. I mean, I never even minded the way CEA switched. I know that after the first run through, or first few times, I probably wouldn't instant switch again. I'd rather have the anniversary campaign look the best it could, rather than suffer for a niche feature. When you're doing speed runs or playing through again on legendary, are you going to care you can instant switch, or that it's playing flawlessly at 1080p/60, as opposed to 900p or fluctuating frame rate. Not to say numbers are all that matter. If they genuinely can't reach that because of how technical the game is, fine. But if it's tied to an ancillary/marketing feature, I don't know.

So it seems like the Halo 2 Anniversary campaign is either going to suffer a decrease in resolution or frame rate all due to the instant switching. I mean, I never even minded the way CEA switched. I know that after the first run through, or first few times, I probably wouldn't instant switch again. I'd rather have the anniversary campaign look the best it could, rather than suffer for a niche feature. When you're doing speed runs or playing through again on legendary, are you going to care you can instant switch, or that it's playing flawlessly at 1080p/60, as opposed to 900p or fluctuating frame rate. Not to say numbers are all that matter. If they genuinely can't reach that because of how technical the game is, fine. But if it's tied to an ancillary/marketing feature, I don't know.
Real talk, I wish that Campaign was getting the same treatment as multiplayer, preferably by Certain Affinity. Well, not the SAME treatment, I'd want all the missions to be remade.

Woorloog

Banned
Oh man, I learn something new about Halo games all the time. I've always just used Halo PC's devmode cheats for screenshots and such. Used bump possession to become a marine on the first level, went and picked up a weapon and killed Chief. The marine says "I didn't mean to do that sir.. whoops".

Didn't even know NPCs had lines for accidentally killing the player.

Me neither... but then getting killed by a marine is quite a real possibility, i've been driven over by a marine in a Ghost many, many times (given the vehicles sound and camera moving away, missing any dialogue is usual, perhaps they have uttered the line you noticed).

I'll say what I said in my previous post, if all of the games in MCC are not 60fps 1080p...then what is the point? We were told during E3 that this collection will contain all of the games, including H2A at glorious crisp 60fps and 1080p with dedicated servers. If any of that becomes false at launch time...it will be a huge letdown to the community.

igYmZ9L.jpg

To have all the games playable at once and on one disc?

Campaign playlists are going to be awesome!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Getting B+ graphic fidelity (as opposed to A+) is worth it for me when we get cool features like instant swapping between new and classic graphics. I've been playing Destiny for two weeks and I don't even know what it's resolution is, but I'm pretty sure it's below 1080p. Makes little difference to me.

60 FPS matters more to me. But again, don't really care all that much. *shrug*

Deception

Getting B+ graphic fidelity (as opposed to A+) is worth it for me when we get cool features like instant swapping between new and classic graphics. I've been playing Destiny for two weeks and I don't even know what it's resolution is, but I'm pretty sure it's below 1080p. Makes little difference to me.

Actually Destiny is 1080p but I agree I'd much rather have 60 fps than s slight bump in resolution.

willow ve

As I tried it, H2A's campaign was not able to achieve 60fps (but the MP part was incredible).

Maybe it was just because of the build, which could be an old one, but the game didn't seem that smooth.

Frank can correct my mistake if it is one, I hope he will, but I'm not that confident when the talk is all bout the H2A campaign running at 60fps and 1080p.

Also, campaign doesn't use dedicated servers for the coop, and it includes all the Halo games of the MCC.

If true that's very disappointing. Campain really needs drop in / drop out functionality.

Madness

But Kittens, think about it. How much will you really instant swap? Say you do it all the time your first run through, would you do it again? What if doing a speed run? Or playing coop? Wouldn't it make more sense to make sure the campaign runs and looks the best it can be?

I wonder if it's necessarily the instant switching, or the fact that because H2A is a much higher fidelity and Halo 2 is running concurrently as well. Would delaying the switching like in CEA have made a difference? Either way, it's cool by me. I don't really care about the numbers in the grand scheme of things. I care about them just looking and playing the best.

HTupolev

But Kittens, think about it. How much will you really instant swap?
Probably a lot.

Say you do it all the time your first run through, would you do it again?
Yes.
What if doing a speed run?
Probably not.
Or playing coop?
Yes.

Wouldn't it make more sense to make sure the campaign runs and looks the best it can be?
If looks are important, instant switch is justified as part of the aesthetic appeal.

I wonder if it's necessarily the instant switching, or the fact that because H2A is a much higher fidelity and Halo 2 is running concurrently as well. Would delaying the switching like in CEA have made a difference?
The whole thing confuses me a little; I expected that instant switch would have restricted memory a little, since you want to have all assets for both graphics engines in memory at the same time. Managing asset streaming might add a little extra processing, too.

But it's strange to me that it would have a significant impact on the GPU; I wouldn't think that they'd have to be actively rendering both versions at the same time, or anything like that. Even shuffling out eSRAM allocations between frames would be possible, I would think.

Disclaimer: I don't work on video game software.

Booshka

Well if the old graphics for Halo 2 Campaign are locked 60FPS @ 1080p then speedrunners and High Impact Halo style Campaign tryhards should be fine. New and shiny graphics are nice and all, but they may not even be the best way to play the game.

H2A Campaign can be at 42-58 FPS and 900p and MisterMonopoli probably wouldn't care so long as Classic is locked 60/1080.

Top Bottom