• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

yingyangryder

Neo Member
7FrVYVA.jpg

"Despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, some stubbornly maintain that this structure was once a Forerunner arena".

I'm just curious, was this leaked from TGS or from a tester or something back in WA? It's obvious whoever took the shot had to do it quickly with his phone, but if it is from someone at TGS I'm surprised no one from 343 thought that someone would see their final unannounced map through the custom game selection. Maybe it was a closed doors showing and this guy was just going through menus and whoever was with him didn't notice him scrolling the maps.

I was at TGS and as far as I was aware, there were no official 343 members of staff there. Just Japanese members of staff wearing Xbox T shirts who were setting up the games. After each game, the build had to be reset and one of the guys messed this up a few times. I wouldn`t be surprised if he or another member of staff accidentally pressed the wrong button when setting up the game. Having to reset a game hundreds of times a day is asking for something to go wrong. Of course, this is all speculation.

I'd like to see what a comic could do with in-game assets. All of the models, textures, lighting, weapons, explosions and more are there in a real time system and developers/designers on hand. I wonder what some scene setups/poses and similar could be achieved just using studio resources collaborating based off writers/storyboarding.

I get rendering CGI Blur level stuff is far too much for a comic. That said, given the time saves of existing in-game assets and their insanely high quality I imagine next gen would deliver something very unique and of a very high standard. I'd really like to see a comic or sample produced this way.

singhr1

Seems Vultures (from Halo Wars) could be making a return in future halos:

The Vulture had largely disappeared from UNSC inventories due to irreplaceable combat losses by 2545, but Materials Group is currently evaluating the possibility of restarting production (albeit with the benefit of improved materials and incorporation of new technologies).

From Halo Bulletin. If any of you need a refresher on the vulture, its this badass right here:

04_Vulture_vs_Scarab.jpg

Computer

I would like 343 to show off more of how powerful Chief is in Halo 5. Like punch a car and move 5 feet. It has never been explored in any Halo game but would give the player the feel of controlling a super solder.

Another random thought. How would you feel if Halo added heath bars to enemies?

From Halo Bulletin. If any of you need a refresher on the vulture, its this badass right here:

04_Vulture_vs_Scarab.jpg

Yessssssssss! Big fan of the Vulture.

No way they're squeezing it into a mainline Halo game, though. 8v8 can only just barely contain a tank, the Vulture would be ludicrous. I could see it fitting neatly into a larger-scale spinoff, sort of a Halo: Battlefront.

I would like 343 to show off more of how powerful Chief is in Halo 5. Like punch a car and move 5 feet. It has never been explored in any Halo game but would give the player the feel of controlling a super solder.

Yes to Paragraph 1, definitely. At least in the campaign. Upping stuff like the overall movespeed (death to sprint!) would be a good step as well.

No to the health bars. I'd love to see more organic methods of conveying damage; limping, holding wounds, etc.

VinFTW

Yessssssssss! Big fan of the Vulture.

No way they're squeezing it into a mainline Halo game, though. 8v8 can only just barely contain a tank, the Vulture would be ludicrous. I could see it fitting neatly into a larger-scale spinoff, sort of a Halo: Battlefront.

Yes to Paragraph 1, definitely. At least in the campaign. Upping stuff like the overall movespeed (death to sprint!) would be a good step as well.

No to the health bars. I'd love to see more organic methods of conveying damage; limping, holding wounds, etc.

Hire him, 343i.

Yep, show us the Spartans speed, agility and strength. Better yet allow us to use those things as base traits in real time.

As for health bars I have to say no. I'd rather see shields colour phase as the damage is done and the traditional shield pop that Halo conveys so well to go for the headshot. Destiny and Halo legendary bullet sponges do not impress me. Further I'd simply prefer more enemies or more intelligent/collaborating AI systems. The Forerunner stuff I liked a lot regarding Knights, Crawlers & Watchers. It needs to executed better with more system resources than the Halo 4 implementation is all.

FyreWulff

Halo's been about the simple visual indicators, like shield flare and shield pop. Bullets go in, death comes out. Health bars would be redundant.

Health bars make more sense in a game like Destiny where how much damage and when an enemy can die due to status effects, weapon type, and level differences.

(it'd still be neat to be able to see HP of players in films, though, for scrutiny purposes)

04_Vulture_vs_Scarab.jpg

Yes plz. I really want them to add a lot of the Halo Wars vehicles to the shooters, even if they aren't drivable, just to flesh you the UNSC a bit more in those games.

Mix

So, it looks like 343 is gonna have a presence at the Alamo City Comic Con this year and I'm going. I just cant decide when to go, I almost bought a friday ticket but then BS Angel tweeted at me and told me she hopes I'll be there Saturday so something might be going down. San Antonio is only like 15 minutes from New Braunfels so I'll be there either day, I just don't know which yet.

Frankie, do you know anything?

Captain Friendo

Neo Member
I hope Metropolis is evocative of ODST's atmosphere in anniversary mode. I appreciate the lengths gone to to ensure H2A is faithful to Halo 2's art style, but i'd appreciate an ODST throwback a lot more in this instance.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
1080p is far less important to me than the fun and novelty of being able to swap graphics on the fly. It's fun and interesting to compare graphical advances and change in art styles. That is more important to me than a bump in visual clarity that I probably won't even notice.

Having both would, of course, be ideal.

In other news: I'm starting to reach the "fuck Destiny, bring on Halo" point. Too few people on my friends list play PvP, and when they do, it's almost never 3v3, which is the only playlist I can tolerate. Playing with randoms sucks, and losing a match to someone using their insta-kill super power sucks.

Bring on Halo, and may Halo never again come close to what Destiny PvP is trying to do.

So, it looks like 343 is gonna have a presence at the Alamo City Comic Con this year and I'm going. I just cant decide when to go, I almost bought a friday ticket but then BS Angel tweeted at me and told me she hopes I'll be there Saturday so something might be going down. San Antonio is only like 15 minutes from New Braunfels so I'll be there either day, I just don't know which yet.

Frankie, do you know anything?
They haven't. Microsoft isn't listed as a vendor on the official site neither is 343i or Xbox. If they had had a official presence at the Alamo City Comic Con, they would have mentioned it at the bulletin, wouldn't they?

Yep, show us the Spartans speed, agility and strength. Better yet allow us to use those things as base traits in real time.

As for health bars I have to say no. I'd rather see shields colour phase as the damage is done and the traditional shield pop that Halo conveys so well to go for the headshot. Destiny and Halo legendary bullet sponges do not impress me. Further I'd simply prefer more enemies or more intelligent/collaborating AI systems. The Forerunner stuff I liked a lot regarding Knights, Crawlers & Watchers. It needs to executed better with more system resources than the Halo 4 implementation is all.
You all should play Halo 4's campaign again because they conveyed it pretty good in cutscenes and sound etc. And I do not want a big difference gap between the single player gameplay and multiplayer gameplay. 343i did a good job with 4 in that specific aspect.

I'd like to see what a comic could do with in-game assets. All of the models, textures, lighting, weapons, explosions and more are there in a real time system and developers/designers on hand. I wonder what some scene setups/poses and similar could be achieved just using studio resources collaborating based off writers/storyboarding.

I get rendering CGI Blur level stuff is far too much for a comic. That said, given the time saves of existing in-game assets and their insanely high quality I imagine next gen would deliver something very unique and of a very high standard. I'd really like to see a comic or sample produced this way.
Don't use in game assets. That will look cheap in the medium of comic. I personally do not know a comic which stands out because of its use of 3D models etc.

On the other hand I agree 343i should do a in house graphic novel with Sparth and Robogabe etc doing the art.

ElRenoRaven

1080p is far less important to me than the fun and novelty of being able to swap graphics on the fly. It's fun and interesting to compare graphical advances and change in art styles. That is more important to me than a bump in visual clarity that I probably won't even notice.

In other news: I'm starting to reach the "fuck Destiny, bring on Halo" point. Too few people on my friends list play PvP, and when they do, it's almost never 3v3, which is the only playlist I can tolerate. Playing with randoms sucks, and losing a match to someone using their insta-kill super power sucks.

Bring on Halo, and may Halo never again come close to what Destiny PvP is trying to do.

Yea Destiny PVP is ok but yea give me the strikes, missions, etc any day of the week. I need to focus on the xbone version some more. I'm 28 on PS4 version but only 18 on xbone. lol Might give it some more attention after this weekend.

TheOddOne

Yea Destiny PVP is ok but yea give me the strikes, missions, etc any day of the week. I need to focus on the xbone version some more. I'm 28 on PS4 version but only 18 on xbone. lol Might give it some more attention after this weekend.
Why do you people have so much gawddamn money.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Was thinking about this last night, Halo is the only arena-type shooter we have on consoles that's actually good. I wouldn't throw Titanfall or COD into that sub-genre of FPS, and there's basically nothing else that competes against Halo.

I really do miss good 4v4 Halo matches, especially back in the ol' H2 days of playing Team Hardcore which mimicked the MLG tournament gametypes, it was so much fun competing in that game via xbox live, even if I never got to experience a real Halo team tournament in person, the ability to do it online was amazing.

I'm hoping that 343 can run their own playlist that's for esports and not have to partner with MLG. While I enjoyed MLG for what it was, I think 343 has the chance here to stand on their own completely separate from other leagues. In my opinion, they can be the Riot Studios of Halo (for those that don't know what Riot Studios is, they are League of Legends).

I can't wait to hop into the MCC and just grab my best three buds and play 4v4s via matchmaking all weekend long!! It's going to bring back to many memories cause my buds from 2004-2006 are all going to get back into Halo with this MCC coming in November.

ElRenoRaven

Why do you people have so much gawddamn money.

Hey on truly epic games I don't have any trouble supporting them since I buy so few games. Even then most of those are after they're cheap or on sale. Besides it was only about 250 bucks all said and done. Xbone was Ghost edition and PS4 was digital guardian. I'll probably double dip on MCC too and buy both a physical and digital version of that. Then I'm good till god knows when cause I don't have anything else I really see myself buying for an insanely long time.

TheOddOne

Hey on truly epic games I don't have any trouble supporting them since I buy so few games. Even then most of those are after they're cheap or on sale. Besides it was only about 250 bucks all said and done. Xbone was Ghost edition and PS4 was digital guardian. I'll probably double dip on MCC too and buy both a physical and digital version of that. Then I'm good till god knows when cause I don't have anything else I really see myself buying for an insanely long time.
Now you made me feel even worse :(

Probably been covered in this conversation, but MCC Forge has terrain-less skybox only maps. So you can make the massive completely flat map with one crate for cover I have been dreaming of.
Awesome, I can finally build a perfect version of Wizard in hopes of getting it in matchmaking.

Was thinking about this last night, Halo is the only arena-type shooter we have on consoles that's actually good. I wouldn't throw Titanfall or COD into that sub-genre of FPS, and there's basically nothing else that competes against Halo.

I really do miss good 4v4 Halo matches, especially back in the ol' H2 days of playing Team Hardcore which mimicked the MLG tournament gametypes, it was so much fun competing in that game via xbox live, even if I never got to experience a real Halo team tournament in person, the ability to do it online was amazing.

I'm hoping that 343 can run their own playlist that's for esports and not have to partner with MLG. While I enjoyed MLG for what it was, I think 343 has the chance here to stand on their own completely separate from other leagues. In my opinion, they can be the Riot Studios of Halo (for those that don't know what Riot Studios is, they are League of Legends).

I can't wait to hop into the MCC and just grab my best three buds and play 4v4s via matchmaking all weekend long!! It's going to bring back to many memories cause my buds from 2004-2006 are all going to get back into Halo with this MCC coming in November.
Can't see them accomplishing that on their own, tbh.

Defect

I play PvP a lot, mostly on 360 but I could play with you on the One whenever.

Killing with the Fusion Rifle feels so good.

Sephzilla

I'm okay with Wizard/Warlock/Warlord being redone for H2A - but that's just because the map is one of the favorites of my old lan party groups.

ElRenoRaven

FRANK WHY THE HELL HAS CHIRON OR BOARDING ACTION NOT BEEN REMADE YET? WHY DOES EVERYONE HATE THE FUN MAPS?

more-stimmy-hands.gif

:p

Boarding action I'm all for. It was actually really fun when you remove the snipers. Chiron can die in a fire though. That is the worst map in all of Halo. Hell in all of any game ever.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Can't see them accomplishing that on their own, tbh.

They can easily create a playlist though that's e-sports focused. 343 needs to set the standard for esports right out of the gate so that outside-leagues don't become the standard with their unique rules/settings. It's much easier when the developer has direct input to what the esports settings are rather than a third party. e.g., look at Starcraft II, Blizz owns that, no one else.

They can easily create a playlist though that's e-sports focused. 343 needs to set the standard for esports right out of the gate so that outside-leagues don't become the standard with their unique rules/settings. It's much easier when the developer has direct input to what the esports settings are rather than a third party. e.g., look at Starcraft II, Blizz owns that, no one else.
Oh I thought you were referring to 343 creating their own esports league lol

Yeah they could do a playlist like that.

What i'd like to see again are the BTB CTF games that last forever from Combat Evolved. No timer. So much fun running around without a care in the world. Guessing 343 will implement a timer on games, but I miss that action.

willow ve

What i'd like to see again are the BTB CTF games that last forever from Combat Evolved. No timer. So much fun running around without a care in the world. Guessing 343 will implement a timer on games, but I miss that action.

No timer, touch to recover. Just played this last weekend and had a game where we called it at 2-1 after 75 minutes. Halo.

Top Bottom