• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

FyreWulff

Just throwing this out there:

If I was doing something like the MCC, I would have selected a couple of maps from future games and backported them to the Halo 1 and 2 engines.

ie, Midship and Zanzibar for Halo 1 (community map makers actually ported Zanzi before H2 even released), Halo 2 gets a port of The Pit and Rat's Nest. Just example maps, but a thought.

Also, tried to record Reach's population numbers last night but it looks like the population counter was broken - the game didn't give an overall population count and every playlist said 0 players.

FyreWulff

lets take a player created solution to a shitty loot system (the cave) and just nerf it because we dont like how people play a game they paid for.

They said in the same update that they're going to make adjustments to the loot system.

Leaving the cave alone would have been stupid. They plan to aggressively update Destiny, and are doing so.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
lets take a player created solution to a shitty loot system (the cave) and just nerf it because we dont like how people play a game they paid for.

This is the same argument that people give when a farming
exploit
spot in Diablo is patched and it's stupid.

Madness

Bungie should realize by now people will always find some way to farm and grind. Look at Reach, gruntpocalypse on corvette, target locator cheesing, flawless cowboy on the first mission etc.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Bungie should realize by now people will always find some way to farm and grind. Look at Reach, gruntpocalypse on corvette, target locator cheesing, flawless cowboy on the first mission etc.

Yes, but in a game that allows "competition" between people, those spots need to be curated and controlled.

Nowise10

This is true. But a spot like the cave though was too big of a exploit to be left in the wild. Getting a Legendary every 10 minutes, because you got 50 kills every minute is way too fast, and obviously not how Bungie designed the entire loot economy to work and pan out.

FyreWulff

You have to strike a balance. While you can't prevent or block all forms of grinding, you have to make it not so easy to do so that people are ignoring all the other content, or others feel left behind for not doing it.

Most of the easy grinds in Reach like Gruntpoc and idling were fixed with lower payouts or idle detection and bans, later extended to even looking for people that killed a single enemy and went off and hid somewhere. Some they couldn't address like the Target Locator and Flawless Cowboy because those were hardcoded into the game and were one-offs anyway.

Blueblur1

This is true. But a spot like the cave though was too big of a exploit to be left in the wild. Getting a Legendary every 10 minutes, because you got 50 kills every minute is way too fast, and obviously not how Bungie designed the entire loot economy to work and pan out.

lol I wish

I did it for an hour once and got 3 shitty uncommon items

Madness

Oh I agree, nerf them or patch them, but do it quickly. Who knows what kind of damage is already done because moving forward, no one had as easy a chance etc. I wouldn't be surprised if something new is found and everyone picks up on it.

Ampoc

Neo Member
The cave was patched. Sucks, I found out about it yesterday and was about to go on today..

LFFauBn.gif

but.. it was too late..

Anyway, latest for Halo, it's Halo 3's 7th birthday if no one mentioned that already. Oh how time goes by so fast. I remember the first time I booted up the game, it was the best feeling in the world (at the time that is). I wonder if I'll ever get that hyped for a game again..

Madness

Is there anyway to get that map book in Canada for the MCC preorder? Not only is the price jacked up to $69.99 here but I'm wary about French on my game. Saw so many Xbox One versions here with bilingual names and titles on the case and spine.

Given the rarity of those materials prior to this event, it was pretty obvious it wasn't intended. My theory is that the missions weren't even supposed to drop a guaranteed legendary, and the quickest fix they had was to remove the materials.

You can have like 6 to 8 Ascendant materials per week without farming, you need 16 for legendary armor upgrade slot, legendary armor have three upgrade slots that requires 16 each one so yeah, Bungie to the rescue.

You can have like 6 to 8 Ascendant materials per week without farming, you need 16 for legendary armor upgrade slot, legendary armor have three upgrade slots that requires 16 each one so yeah, Bungie to the rescue.

Yep, I have about 5 upgrades unlocked now on various items and all require more shards than I care to think how long it will take to get them...

Hindle

Banned
Have we ever got updated sales for the Halo franchise?

Last I heard sales are at 50m, which was a month after Halo 4 came out. I wonder if total sales are near 60m yet?

They said in the same update that they're going to make adjustments to the loot system.

Leaving the cave alone would have been stupid. They plan to aggressively update Destiny, and are doing so.

So make the changes to the cave after you fix the loot system. As is, they're axing one of the only ways loot-hungry players have to get drops, as well as taking out one of the most social areas in the game, in return for the promise of maybe fixing things at some point in the future.

lol, give me a break dude.
Some days I'm sure that's Izayoi's alt

I'm pretty sure Bungie doesn't want you to have a completely leveled up Guardian within a month of the game's release.

Hahahaha GSO nerd!

Love the salty tears of the people mad at a good update.
The rest of the update is great, I just believe the community went about the whole cave business the wrong way. Bnet was full of so many people complaining that people were shooting into the cave; when it wasn't honestly hurting those players.

Less salty because they are fixing the cryptarch and actually rewarding people for strike completion.

willow ve

Some days I'm sure that's Izayoi's alt

I'm pretty sure Bungie doesn't want you to have a completely leveled up Guardian within a month of the game's release.
Why do they care how fast people binge a game? It's the Reach level cap syndrome. It becomes overtly frustrating for some players to endlessly grind and they'll leave the game.

Why do they care how fast people binge a game? It's the Reach level cap syndrome. It becomes overtly frustrating for some players to endlessly grind and they'll leave the game.
Why wouldn't they care? They have a long-term plan for keeping fans of the game interested, and to have some people completely level their gear withing 3 weeks is certainly not part of that plan to keep long-term interest.

Why wouldn't they care? They have a long-term plan for keeping fans of the game interested, and to have some people completely level their gear withing 3 weeks is certainly not part of that plan to keep long-term interest.

Honestly, it they didn't want people to be maxing out in >3 weeks, they should probably have shipped with a level of content that supports that. Placing tons of artificial barriers everywhere is just obnoxious and really highlights the grind.

uwdanman

Neo Member
So I'm wondering, why isn't Microsoft advertising the Master Chief Collection? I mean, beyond trade shows and gaming news sites, I haven't seen any tv spots. As an Xbox One seller going into one and a half months before the game releases, you'd think there would be some sort of ad-campaign.

Sephzilla

So I'm wondering, why isn't Microsoft advertising the Master Chief Collection? I mean, beyond trade shows and gaming news sites, I haven't seen any tv spots. As an Xbox One seller going into one and a half months before the game releases, you'd think there would be some sort of ad-campaign.

I'm kind of wondering the same thing. This should be something that's getting advertised a lot more.

uwdanman

Neo Member
Hahahaha GSO nerd!

Love the salty tears of the people mad at a good update.

What update? All they did was nerf how some people enjoyed playing their game and release a 'plan to do this' post. Now I do like just about all the changes they plan to implement (scout rifles balancing vs autos, group chat...) but when will they be implemented? Even if some of those things are in place 2 weeks from now (which is the earliest I see them doing them) they will steadily be losing people. I still can't see how the producers of Halo didn't have party chat enabled (with option to mute) at launch.

uwdanman

Neo Member
I'm kind of wondering the same thing. This should be something that's getting advertised a lot more.

I mean, I have old time Halo 1 players, college buddies, and many others I've discussed my excitement for the game with that have no clue what is happening. Besides the gaming news outlets and forum goers, there really isn't much information for potential system buyers.

I mean c'mon, there is lottts of room for more people to board this hype train.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Usually marketing plans spin up a month or so before launch. We still have a few weeks to go. You'll start seeing stuff soon I'd think.

They could make a pretty killer commercial using all 4 games.

Tawpgun

The rest of the update is great, I just believe the community went about the whole cave business the wrong way. Bnet was full of so many people complaining that people were shooting into the cave; when it wasn't honestly hurting those players.

Less salty because they are fixing the cryptarch and actually rewarding people for strike completion.

Bungie has every right to fix it. It's players taking advantage of an unforseen mechanic that was giving people higher chances of loot (from sheer number of enemies killed). It hurts players who would rather play Destiny and not Fish in a Barrel simulator. I agree, and so does bungie, that it was a player response to a rough loot system. But the fix to that is to patch the unintended exploit and tweak the system,

What update? All they did was nerf how some people enjoyed playing their game and release a 'plan to do this' post. Now I do like just about all the changes they plan to implement (scout rifles balancing vs autos, group chat...) but when will they be implemented? Even if some of those things are in place 2 weeks from now (which is the earliest I see them doing them) they will steadily be losing people. I still can't see how the producers of Halo didn't have party chat enabled (with option to mute) at launch.

If people really enjoyed shooting into a cave for hours and are mad they can't do it anymore and don't have a reason to play anymore than GG sell your game bye. Don't care. Clearly the game isn't for you

uwdanman

Neo Member
If people really enjoyed shooting into a cave for hours and are mad they can't do it anymore and don't have a reason to play anymore than GG sell your game bye. Don't care. Clearly the game isn't for you

I'm not mad (though there are people that are) but I didn't see the cave as a threat to anyone. I farmed it for maybe 2 hours (different sessions) and had ~20 blues drop and zero legendaries. I understand there are others with better drops and hence the closing of the exploit. For me, I don't have the time to get my 100 crucible marks weekly for 2 weeks for that piece of gear, or running endless strikes. When I can hop on for a half hour/hour I don't mind grinding towards something and the cave satisfied that. I've been at 22 for a while and can't find any way to continue gearing up (apart from some random gear award in crucible) to experience lvl 24/26/28 strikes/raid. Its just frustrating.

wwm0nkey

The missions and bounties in Destiny are on the some level of boredom and repetiveness as the cave farming
Queens missions with the damage boosts are pretty fun though.

I really need to get on that Raid though, had a lot of fun with just the first boss. Felt like a really nice puzzle fight in a FPS which I haven't really seen in a FPS boss fight.

Tawpgun

The missions and bounties in Destiny are on the some level of boredom and repetiveness as the cave farming
Game isn't for you then, sorry Bungle didn't meet your expectations. I still find the gameplay really fun and the game offers more challenge than any other modern FPS.

I'm not mad (though there are people that are) but I didn't see the cave as a threat to anyone. I farmed it for maybe 2 hours (different sessions) and had ~20 blues drop and zero legendaries. I understand there are others with better drops and hence the closing of the exploit. For me, I don't have the time to get my 100 crucible marks weekly for 2 weeks for that piece of gear, or running endless strikes. When I can hop on for a half hour/hour I don't mind grinding towards something and the cave satisfied that. I've been at 22 for a while and can't find any way to continue gearing up (apart from some random gear award in crucible) to experience lvl 24/26/28 strikes/raid. Its just frustrating.

Game has been out for barely two weeks. Don't try and compare yourself to the poopsockers who are already level 30. After level 24 its a slow burn to get better gear. I'd be really disappointed in Destiny, and people would complain about it too, if you just reached max level and everyone beat the raid within 2 weeks.

willow ve

Why artificially force players into some contrived "best way to play" system? It seems arbitrary and petulant.

Look at Borderlands; some people will grind and farm for hundreds of hours. They will beat raid bosses over and over and over again for the 1-3% of getting a decent/better weapon or armor. Some people will simply go on a forum, meet other people, and dupe their gear (or trade). Why does it matter to the developer and other gamers which path you choose? You want to grind/farm, go ahead. You want to dupe/trade, go ahead. I see no reason that one way is "right" and one way is "not right."

Let's look at gaming in general. Is it wrong to speed run? Is it wrong to jump over walls and explore campaign maps outside of their intended area? Is it wrong to camp in multiplayer waiting for your favorite weapon/armor/ability/vehicle to spawn on the map? Is it wrong to explore physics engine issues that lead to super bouncing, slide jumps, etc.?

If it doesn't directly, negatively, affect other players (ie: spawn camping, griefing, team killing) then why does it matter what people do with their own character, in a game they bought, using a subscription service they pay for?

EDIT - Can you imagine this with physical games. Can you imagine Parker Brothers or Hasbro showing up at your house and telling you that your house rules for Monopoly are breaking the game? Or that your Settlers of Cattan app for fair and balanced map setups isn't in the nature of the random map generation?

Fuchsdh

Let's look at gaming in general. Is it wrong to speed run? Is it wrong to jump over walls and explore campaign maps outside of their intended area? Is it wrong to camp in multiplayer waiting for your favorite weapon/armor/ability/vehicle to spawn on the map? Is it wrong to explore physics engine issues that lead to super bouncing, slide jumps, etc.?

To try and drag this to Halo, I don't think most devs treat the above as "wrong", but rather as an accessory. I don't think Bungie or 343 put in invisible walls to say "screw you speedrunners", they did it in an effort to preserve the "baseline" experience; that is, playing through it normally, doing the objectives in the order intended, experiencing the majority of the encounters. That's what the vast majority of gamers will experience the most, or the only experience they will have, and so it needs to be treated as the primary concern.

It's certainly true these constraints can frustrate, but in my opinion figuring out workarounds or alternate options is part of the interesting metagame of speedruns. I love the AGDQ speedruns where the runner explains various glitches and reasons he's taking the routes he does (such as in a recent Bioshock 2 one he talked about how you have to reload saves to try and cut off mission dialogue to speed things up.) Speedrunning to me is much more interesting than just shaving things down to absolute times.

Top Bottom