• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Havoc2049

I'm not mad (though there are people that are) but I didn't see the cave as a threat to anyone. I farmed it for maybe 2 hours (different sessions) and had ~20 blues drop and zero legendaries. I understand there are others with better drops and hence the closing of the exploit. For me, I don't have the time to get my 100 crucible marks weekly for 2 weeks for that piece of gear, or running endless strikes. When I can hop on for a half hour/hour I don't mind grinding towards something and the cave satisfied that. I've been at 22 for a while and can't find any way to continue gearing up (apart from some random gear award in crucible) to experience lvl 24/26/28 strikes/raid. Its just frustrating.

In order to get to the higher levels in Destiny, like 25+, "grinding" the cave for 30 minutes here and there wasn't going to do that for you anyways. You will have to grind and mine materials as well, so that you can level up your legendary items. To get a high level character, you are going to have to become a well rounded Destiny player and put some time into, missions, strikes, raids, loot/material farming, the Crucible, special events, etc. High level characters in MMORPG's require the player to dedicate some time. Destiny is actually one of the easier MMORPG's to level up in quickly and have a high level character and participate in high level events.

Why artificially force players into some contrived "best way to play" system? It seems arbitrary and petulant.

Look at Borderlands; some people will grind and farm for hundreds of hours. They will beat raid bosses over and over and over again for the 1-3% of getting a decent/better weapon or armor. Some people will simply go on a forum, meet other people, and dupe their gear (or trade). Why does it matter to the developer and other gamers which path you choose? You want to grind/farm, go ahead. You want to dupe/trade, go ahead. I see no reason that one way is "right" and one way is "not right."

Let's look at gaming in general. Is it wrong to speed run? Is it wrong to jump over walls and explore campaign maps outside of their intended area? Is it wrong to camp in multiplayer waiting for your favorite weapon/armor/ability/vehicle to spawn on the map? Is it wrong to explore physics engine issues that lead to super bouncing, slide jumps, etc.?

If it doesn't directly, negatively, affect other players (ie: spawn camping, griefing, team killing) then why does it matter what people do with their own character, in a game they bought, using a subscription service they pay for?

EDIT - Can you imagine this with physical games. Can you imagine Parker Brothers or Hasbro showing up at your house and telling you that your house rules for Monopoly are breaking the game? Or that your Settlers of Cattan app for fair and balanced map setups isn't in the nature of the random map generation?
I think that in any economy-based game, you need to set a baseline for how you are supposed to gain riches and set apart the unique items from the rest. If that economy becomes oversaturated with unique items, then what becomes special? You inadvertently set a new baseline that automatically devalues anything below it to almost nothing. You have to enforce the baseline as best you can to keep your economy running as you intended. That's my understanding of why they are closing down the farming caves.

To be clear, I'm not a fan of Bungie's RNG system. I hate the fact that you can pick up a highly valued engram and more often than not turn it in for a shitty product that you scrap for parts. The engrams need to be what they are, with the % of which engrams drop be the determining randomized factor (which also needs to scale towards highly valued engrams as the difficulty scales upward). If anything, add another "corrupted" ingram that can be a total crapshoot of what you get, leaning more towards more sought-after items if you have the right materials to "uncorrupt" it.

To the loot cave closing (and the others that will close as more are found), I think it's a band-aid fix to a larger issue that I hope can get resolved quickly. From the dev notes, it seems like Bungie is on to the larger problem and can patch it fast to most everyone's liking.

Not that I've played it, but are people using the spawn mechanics to counter low drop rates?

Any enemy at any level have the same chance to drop loot (lol), the free roam system in Destiny have infinite enemies spawns with nearly instant respawns so you have to find a good place where you can farm them fast and in great numbers.

The thing is blue gear stops giving you 20 lv gear when you reach lv 24, and the purple gear is not a guaranted purple gear while some random persons can get exotic and purple gear with blue gear

willow ve

I think that in any economy-based game, you need to set a baseline for how you are supposed to gain riches and set apart the unique items from the rest. If that economy becomes oversaturated with unique items, then what becomes special? You inadvertently set a new baseline that automatically devalues anything below it to almost nothing. You have to enforce the baseline as best you can to keep your economy running as you intended. That's my understanding of why they are closing down the farming caves.

But there is no economy. You can't sell the items. You can't trade the items. You can't do anything with items other than use them, store them in a vault, or deconstruct them. Why does it matter if player A has all super-dooper-purple-phosphorescent weapons and gear while player B has all blue?

Halo

Went to EGX today, got to play some MCC, specifically 4 player FFA on Lockout.

Good news, Lockout looks gorgeous, and not too orange. :)

The game was wonderfully smooth, playing @60fps felt great.

Managed to tie for first place with my buddy KP, meaning we won some a MVP pass to play in a slightly more relaxed player area for some other XO games.

After the game, we were asked to do an interview about our first memories of Halo. They enjoyed our answers and asked if we would be available to come back on October 13th...so the question is...what's happening October 13th? (Its a Monday) Also got a cool MCC tshirt, which was nice.

Anywho, game felt great, can't wait to play more - roll on November!

Karl2177

But there is no economy. You can't sell the items. You can't trade the items. You can't do anything with items other than use them, store them in a vault, or deconstruct them. Why does it matter if player A has all super-dooper-purple-phosphorescent weapons and gear while player B has all blue?
PvP is where the economy lies. Although it isn't a direct "buy this item from me", it functions more along the lines of "my item isn't good enough for me anymore, so I need to get better gear". I personally dislike that system, but I see some of its merits. Some players need an incentive to play the single-player and some need incentives to play the multi-player, and that "economy" is how you do it. I would overhaul the entire system, starting with the loot system and the double dice roll that engrams are, to the scaling of enemies and weapon balance(but that's not something I'm going to actually invest any time into).

PvP is where the economy lies. Although it isn't a direct "buy this item from me", it functions more along the lines of "my item isn't good enough for me anymore, so I need to get better gear". I personally dislike that system, but I see some of its merits. Some players need an incentive to play the single-player and some need incentives to play the multi-player, and that "economy" is how you do it. I would overhaul the entire system, starting with the loot system and the double dice roll that engrams are, to the scaling of enemies and weapon balance(but that's not something I'm going to actually invest any time into).

The thing is, the Multi is wildly unbalanced anyway.

Karl beat me to it, but there IS a certain economy. You earn marks and glimmer to purchase items, I don't know what else to call it. I wish there were a bartering system or trade-in value with purchased items and found/purchased inventory, but so far it's pretty stunted. Maybe it can change.

belushy

Banned
Halo

Managed to tie for first place with my buddy KP, meaning we won some a MVP pass to play in a slightly more relaxed player area for some other XO games.

After the game, we were asked to do an interview about our first memories of Halo. They enjoyed our answers and asked if we would be available to come back on October 13th...so the question is...what's happening October 13th? (Its a Monday) Also got a cool MCC tshirt, which was nice.

Maybe you'll get to play Halo 5 Alpha :-O

Nowise10

Halo

After each game did they need to restart all the consoles still?

Mistel

Banned
Any enemy at any level have the same chance to drop loot (lol), the free roam system in Destiny have infinite enemies spawns with nearly instant respawns so you have to find a good place where you can farm them fast and in great numbers.

The thing is blue gear stops giving you 20 lv gear when you reach lv 24, and the purple gear is not a guaranted purple gear while some random persons can get exotic and purple gear with blue gear
So it's not like borderlands where X drops Y legendary weapon etc then. It's just luck of the draw what you get that sounds like it would get a bit annoying to farm for stuff without any idea what you get out of it.

daedalius

So it's not like borderlands where X drops Y legendary weapon etc then. It's just luck of the draw what you get that sounds like it would get a bit annoying to farm for stuff without any idea what you get out of it.

You get tokens for certain activities that you can then turn in for legendary gear.

Other than that though, drops are random.

Nowise10

Not on that build, but it was still wonky. And October 12th is my birthday, which is obviously a national holiday for the whole world.

Is this to be expected? I was thinking a couple days ago, that it is a little worrying that these newest videos I've been seeing, still have some pretty big bugs in them. Footage at TGS last week of the MCC, showed the game just freeze up for 30 seconds in the middle of the match, and that the consoles still needed to be reset each time after a match. Then a couple weeks ago during that one Tournament, the dynamic lighting had to be shut off cause it wasn't working properly. Then their was that rumor of Halo:CE multiplayer being laggy or something, which is why it isn't being talked about much or shown

I have zero idea how old these builds are though. It's just with Halo 4, two months before launch, everything seemed near similar to the retail Halo 4, other then maybe different symbols for weapons, or armor abilities and such

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Is this to be expected? I was thinking a couple days ago, that it is a little worrying that these newest videos I've been seeing, still have some pretty big bugs in them. Footage at TGS last week of the MCC, showed the game just freeze up for 30 seconds in the middle of the match, and that the consoles still needed to be reset each time after a match. Then a couple weeks ago during that one Tournament, the dynamic lighting had to be shut off cause it wasn't working properly. Then their was that rumor of Halo:CE multiplayer being laggy or something, which is why it isn't being talked about much or shown

I have zero idea how old these builds are though. It's just with Halo 4, two months before launch, everything seemed near similar to the retail Halo 4, other then maybe different symbols for weapons, or armor abilities and such

Almost every public build you see is old, and picked because it's stable (ish) and tested. There's literally nothing unusual about that. And Halo CE MP being laggy rumor? Literally never been shown in public, so it's pure BS. I don't know why I am even responding to this because it's that ludicrous loop of "why won't you show us more?" - because it's buggy. And "why is it buggy?" Because you wanted to see it mid-flight.

Not attacking your post, just that Neo Gaf is a hardcore, relatively sophisticated gaming forum that should in theory already know how the dev process works, so it's silly to be having this conversation.

And trust me, EVERY Halo game you've ever seen in public before launch has been in the same condition. Just different types of bug.

Do you actually know what's happening on the 13th? Or is it just some Microsoft Retail Halo thing?

Maybe a little hint?

Honestly no idea outside of my Birthday. Which is frequently related to Columbus Day.

The most important day of the calendar year.

Also known as St. Margarita's Steak and Cake Day.
A truly satisfying steak requires no post steak cake!

Rare, garlic butter, asparagus, *Homer salivating*
Not attacking your post, just that Neo Gaf is a hardcore, relatively sophisticated gaming forum that should in theory already know how the dev process works, so it's silly to be having this conversation.
Less so in the past few years. Reductive, but there's a lot more noise in the wind tunnel now. To mix my metaphors a bit [Friday night stout!].
And anyway, the "hardcore" community has shown itself to not actually know that much anyway, reactions to budget breakdowns have shown that.

We still have 1 more map reveal and Coag footage before launch right? Will they be dropping in October?

I'm looking forward to the MCC so much.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Community team will have to buy you a cake Frank. What type of cake is your favorite?

I can't eat cake because I almost have a sixpack now. I can eat cake next year when I inevitably let my body go to shit.

Look at this fat bastard:

sGDDVxK.png

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I can't eat cake because I almost have a sixpack now. I can eat cake next year when I inevitably let my body go to shit.

Look at this fat bastard:

sGDDVxK.png

It's ok, I'll get diet cake. I'm sure they have it somewhere in Kirkland.

And yea, you were huge. I've got to get on that Frankie diet.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
yooooo there's nothing wrong with being fat

Kudos to anyone who's achieving their health / body goals, whatever your goals or body type might be.

Top Bottom