• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

wwm0nkey

One thing I think would help this artist is to rid models and look at then while drawing so he can make sure they are anatomically correct.

Then he just needs to use different line thickness to add depth to the scenes.

If it's the same artist as it was the last time I looked it up, they are not bad. I think the problem is likely 343i giving them tiny budgets for long stories.

It's like asking a novelist to write 500 pages for nickels and not caring about spelling.

wwm0nkey

If it's the same artist as it was the last time I looked it up, they are not bad. I think the problem is likely 343i giving them tiny budgets for long stories.

It's like asking a novelist to write 500 pages for nickels and not caring about spelling.
Then 343 needs to give them a bigger budget and more time then, like this stuff is laughable sometimes and that's the last thing Halo needs right now.

The comics really need to be done as a CGI short though due to quality problems.

Then 343 needs to give them a bigger budget and more time then, like this stuff is laughable sometimes and that's the last thing Halo needs right now.

The comics really need to be done as a CGI short though due to quality problems.

I'd watch that. I like the writing, but the art is just so, so awful.

The boltshot is bigger than their head.

Wait, that's a boltshot? I thought it was a malformed suppressor.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Spartan Ops cinematics in one video if you guys are looking to watch. The last cinematic is a little different from the one posted previously for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BMGBSR-KtA&channel=PhatSteve7

also, MC is enormous.
U0imd7E.png

Spartan Ops cinematics in one video if you guys are looking to watch. The last cinematic is a little different from the one posted previously for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BMGBSR-KtA&channel=PhatSteve7

also, MC is enormous.
I feel like they've been inconsistent with depicting Spartan sizes, both in game and elsewhere.
Time will tell if it's actually essentially, but otherwise agreed.
It would be a repeat of Halo 4 if they go into Halo 5 expecting people to know about the comics, so I don't think they'll be making that mistake again.

I swear that I remember Palmer being was just as tall as John in in-game cutscenes.

She was ~6 inches shorter, if I recall, but definitely not as short as you see in the ending cutscene. IIRC, it was done intentionally, to emphasize the Chief's larger-than-life stature amongst the crew of the Infinity, or something like that.

KiboSenshi

Neo Member
Do you think they're gonna show the Chief's face in Halo 5? I'm sure most of you have seen the legendary ending of Halo 4 and I was very surprised they showed that much of his face.
2mv.png

TheOddOne

About Halo Escalation #10.

The Control Room scene between The Didact and Chief was well done, because I genuinely could not predict how that was going to play out.

The Didact is locked up again and Guilty Spark goes into hiding with a Halo. Yeah, both those outcomes are obviously setup for the larger story; but nice to see that those things were not neatly tied up and there was some wiggle room left there. It does feel that they might be stepping back from those characters, or they might become less prominent and they bring them back when it makes sense.

The most interesting part of the comic was the ONI classified conversation between two unidentified people about the mental state of Chief. Hood advised Chief and his team to take a vacation, but Chief discards that idea and continues on to the next mission. During the course of the Oni conversation we find out the Chief’s psych evaluation noted that he refuses to stop working. The conversation also notes that nobody is going to stop him, even if he is going to destroy himself. Understandably, because nobody is going to tell the legendary Spartan to stop doing what he does best.

All of the above reminds me of Halo 4’s intro with the mysterious investigator. The interviewer notes that the original Spartans routinely exhibit mildly sociopathic tendencies and Chief was successful, because he was, at his core, broken. Maybe that gives some clues that Chief really has gone rogue and they have sent Agent Locke to stop him.

Two things, TheOddOne:

That wasn't Guilty Spark, that was another Installation monitor. Also, while still really ambiguous, Didact was either hit with a focused Halo firing (lul wtf) or was composed.
Otherwise, I agree with your musings, lots of cool opportunities. I just wish the good stuff wasn't wasted on poorly drawn comics...

TheOddOne

Two things, TheOddOne:

That wasn't Guilty Spark, that was another Installation monitor. Also, while still really ambiguous, Didact was either hit with a focused Halo firing (lul wtf) or was composed.
Otherwise, I agree with your musings, lots of cool opportunities. I just wish the good stuff wasn't wasted on poorly drawn comics...
You're right, totally forgot about it not being Guilty Spark :\

Going to re-read the series when all the main issues have been released.

Granadier

I feel like they've been inconsistent with depicting Spartan sizes, both in game and elsewhere.

I agree. Halo: The Flood was one of the only times MC's appearance was described,
The Master Chief stands about seven feet (2.13 m) tall and weighs 1,000 pounds (450 kg) in armor;[17] without it, he stands six feet, seven inches (2 m) tall and weighs 287 pounds (130 kg).
but throughout the games he has taken a lot of different form factors.

It makes sense that he is larger than Palmer since he is a SPARTAN-II and was augmented when he was 14, whereas the SPARTAN-IV's entered the program after joining the military and received less rigorous augmentations.
Halo 1
pyuhQEw.png

Halo 2
YAfTw56.png

Halo 3
5tnabHq.png

Halo 4
bcAIHXs.png

two things watching this

1. Why is Palmer...the way that she is...

2. So they just went full-on supervilian with Dr. Halsey, huh.

My guess is that it was 343's attempt to create a strong, female protagonist within the story. Palmer is also the main character in Spartan Assault.
All fine and dandy, unless they attempt to divert the focus from MC in Halo 5's campaign.
Palmer is cool and all -
I lied, she sucks and has a superiority complex
- but if they try and force her into the storyline it will probably cause Halo 5's story to crash and burn.
The whole thing seems like something that skirts dangerously close to a gender issues debate.

So Master Chief is like some shriveled up bald white guy under the suit right

like I imagine he doesn't get very much sun in that thing, probably looks like Darth Vader in that mothafucka.

Granadier

So Master Chief is like some shriveled up bald white guy under the suit right

like I imagine he doesn't get very much sun in that thing, probably looks like Darth Vader in that mothafucka.

Yep.
The full description from Halo: The Flood
One physical description of the adult Master Chief comes from the novels. During a briefing scene in Halo: The Flood, the Chief is described as tall with short hair, serious eyes, and strong features. His skin is "too white", a consequence of spending most of his time in his armor.[15] The Master Chief stands about seven feet (2.13 m) tall and weighs 1,000 pounds (450 kg) in armor;[17] without it, he stands six feet, seven inches (2 m) tall and weighs 287 pounds (130 kg).

Mix

So, I went to the Alamo City Comic Con today, kinda on a whim, for the soul purpose of seeing Jen and Steve's panel. It's not that far from my house, the ticket was a bit expensive but that was my only real gripe. ANYWAY, Jessica Shea, also known as BS Angel, was moderating the panel and did a fantastic job of doing so as she always did.

But, this is where her responisiblities as a 343 employee ended. At this point she was just as much of an attendee as I was so, being an amazing person like she is, she decided to humor me in con-going. We spend the entire rest of the day together, checking out booths on the floor and checking out the Horror panel and the Walking Dead panel together. It was an absolute blast. Honestly, I kinda hate she doesn't really do community stuff anymore as she is a perfect representative of the team over there at 343. She's a great person, a passionate employee and a phenomenal friend. Totally justified the $40 ticket for the day. All this did is instill confedince for the future of not only the studio, but the products they put out. My hype levels are through the roof right now.

44 days left guys, and only 90 days until the Halo 5: Guardians beta.

Nowise10

This is definitive Masterchief in my book. No matter how many times 343 or books like to show an old wrinkly pale bald guy. Short brown hair with my imagination to take place for his real face.

yes its generic.

I traded in mario kart 8 to gamestop for in store credit. Game is a lot of fun, but my competitive side cant handle the halo 4 like random crap. Best to let it go and play other games. May play through deus ex again or work through more levels of tropical freeze.

EDIT:
So, I went to the Alamo City Comic Con today, kinda on a whim, for the soul purpose of seeing Jen and Steve's panel. It's not that far from my house, the ticket was a bit expensive but that was my only real gripe. ANYWAY, Jessica Shea, also known as BS Angel, was moderating the panel and did a fantastic job of doing so as she always did.

But, this is where her responisiblities as a 343 employee ended. At this point she was just as much of an attendee as I was so, being an amazing person like she is, she decided to humor me in con-going. We spend the entire rest of the day together, checking out booths on the floor and checking out the Horror panel and the Walking Dead panel together. It was an absolute blast. Honestly, I kinda hate she doesn't really do community stuff anymore as she is a perfect representative of the team over there at 343. She's a great person, a passionate employee and a phenomenal friend. Totally justified the $40 ticket for the day. All this did is instill confedince for the future of not only the studio, but the products they put out. My hype levels are through the roof right now.

44 days left guys, and only 90 days until the Halo 5: Guardians beta.
Thats awesome. Nothing but respect for her.

The Control Room scene between The Didact and Chief was well done, because I genuinely could not predict how that was going to play out.

The Didact is locked up again and Guilty Spark goes into hiding with a Halo. Yeah, both those outcomes are obviously setup for the larger story; but nice to see that those things were not neatly tied up and there was some wiggle room left there. It does feel that they might be stepping back from those characters, or they might become less prominent and they bring them back when it makes sense.

The most interesting part of the comic was the ONI classified conversation between two unidentified people about the mental state of Chief. Hood advised Chief and his team to take a vacation, but Chief discards that idea and continues on to the next mission. During the course of the Oni conversation we find out the Chief’s psych evaluation noted that he refuses to stop working. The conversation also notes that nobody is going to stop him, even if he is going to destroy himself. Understandably, because nobody is going to tell the legendary Spartan to stop doing what he does best.

All of the above reminds me of Halo 4’s intro with the mysterious investigator. The interviewer notes that the original Spartans routinely exhibit mildly sociopathic tendencies and Chief was successful, because he was, at his core, broken. Maybe that gives some clues that Chief really has gone rogue and they have sent Agent Locke to stop him.

A think the investigator is not Agent Locke. Locke is a black man, but the investigator is white.

http://youtu.be/pkjAvSJYESk?t=1m4s

Check the hand.

-Ryn

Banned

So now that we have an idea of his current psychological state, how do you guys think Chief will come out by the end of the series? Will he even survive? Blaze of Glory?

With Cortana "gone" and 343 moving towards fleshing Chief out, I'd imagine that he will have some character development. Possibly when he meets Halsey
who may or may not still be salty about her arm being chopped off for no reason

My guess is that it was 343's attempt to create a strong, female protagonist within the story. Palmer is also the main character in Spartan Assault.
All fine and dandy, unless they attempt to divert the focus from MC in Halo 5's campaign.
Palmer is cool and all -
I lied, she sucks and has a superiority complex
- but if they try and force her into the storyline it will probably cause Halo 5's story to crash and burn.
The whole thing seems like something that skirts dangerously close to a gender issues debate.
I think the problem with Papmer is that instead of a strong female character 343 created a macho female character. She feels token. Then again I haven't read the comics of played through Spartan Assault which I've heard improve her character.

This is definitive Masterchief in my book. No matter how many times 343 or books like to show an old wrinkly pale bald guy. Short brown hair with my imagination to take place for his real face.

yes its generic.
Agreed. I loved that art and hey it's straight from Bungie so screw any other depiction. I really hope, if they do ever show his whole face, he doesn't look depressingly blegh. I can't help but think they'd make him look like some generic blob of paste. Hell he shouldn't even really have wrinkles.

Though in the end it's not a huge deal. Just hope he doesn't look stupid.

Granadier

I think the problem with Papmer is that instead of a strong female character 343 created a macho female character. She feels token. Then again I haven't read the comics of played through Spartan Assault which I've heard improve her character.

343 went with a lot of really stereotypical personalities for the new characters in Halo 4. Lasky, Palmer, Fireteam Majestic.

Madness

They have to be careful with Locke. His character needs to be handled with care, especially if they want him to be a fan favorite in a sense. Too much anti-Chief sentiment from him and fans will turn on him.

I think the live action series will work in his favor though, just like for Lasky. However, the Lasky of the game didn't look or sound like the Lasky of the FuD live action movie, so there wasn't as big a connection. If Nightfall is amazing, and we see Locke sympathetically, we'll appreciate his voice, his likeness in the game. Palmer had none of that. She just came onto the scene all dudebro, insulting Chief, using dumb slang, and going against fan favorites. Very hard for them to redeem her character. The hate for her hasn't lessened at all since launch months. People don't really care if she lives or dies and that's something that should never occur for a character you want to carry a franchise or games. Either way, excited to see how Nightfall stacks up to FuD in terms of quality and presentation.

-Ryn

Banned
343 went with a lot of really stereotypical personalities for the new characters in Halo 4. Lasky, Palmer, Fireteam Majestic.
It didn't even have to be bad either. I mean look at Johnson. He was a fountain of stereotypes but was still loved. These guys are just boring and not very likable.

I did actually like Lasky. Then again maybe that's because he seemed like the only sensible (or even just sane) person in Halo 4 aside from Chief and Cortana.

--

Off topic

Heavy Rain Glitch

Spoilers I guess. Probably one of the endings. Haven't played it.

Granadier

It didn't even have to be bad either. I mean look at Johnson. He was a fountain of stereotypes but was still loved. These guys are just boring and not very likable.

I did actually like Lasky. Then again maybe that's because he seemed like the only sensible (or even just sane) person in Halo 4 aside from Chief and Cortana.

He was the most likeable of the bunch, but they gave him a diminutive personality.

The guy is the fucking captain of the largest human ship ever built. A ship that destroys Covenant cruisers by ramming the shit out of them.
Yet he allows his subordinates to boss him around, disrespect him, and ignore his orders.
Like what the hell. I mean, he had the courage to charge a Hunter with no armor and no weapons when he was young, but now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnbtiqSC0N0&channel=superslifer3000

edit: After reading some more of his back story it seems like he started to become a more compassionate person as he climbed the ranks. Maybe that is what 343 was trying to convey.

Starkster

Neo Member
However, the Lasky of the game didn't look or sound like the Lasky of the FuD live action movie, so there wasn't as big a connection.

Sort of correct. They re-dubbed Lasky's voice actor over the lines of the guy who actually played him. It's hard to pick up because of the facial difference but once you get the hang of it you recognise him.

In any case though, I'm hoping we see more of Tom/Roland and Blue Team. They're by far the most interesting characters that came out of the post-Halo 4 madness (including Chief of course).

TheOddOne

A think the investigator is not Agent Locke. Locke is a black man, but the investigator is white.

http://youtu.be/pkjAvSJYESk?t=1m4s

Check the hand.
Oh, I didn't want to imply that Locke was the investigator. I think both Locke and the investigator are part of another branch within Oni.
So now that we have an idea of his current psychological state, how do you guys think Chief will come out by the end of the series? Will he even survive? Blaze of Glory?

With Cortana "gone" and 343 moving towards fleshing Chief out, I'd imagine that he will have some character development. Possibly when he meets Halsey
who may or may not still be salty about her arm being chopped off for no reason
You have to wonder if it's maybe all propaganda, because the story seems very one-sided at the moment.

My theory for the end of the Reclaimer Saga is that Chief will be mortally wounded completing the final mission and, by using the Composer, the Librarian will digitize Chief before he dies in order to reunite him with Cortana, who the Librarian found trapped inside the Domain. It will be like Chief's version of Heaven.

Spartans never die.

Woorloog

Banned
My theory for the end of the Reclaimer Saga is that Chief will be mortally wounded completing the final mission and, by using the Composer, the Librarian will digitize Chief before he dies in order to reunite him with Cortana, who the Librarian found trapped inside the Domain. It will be like Chief's version of Heaven.

Spartans never die.

That sounds like a horrifyingly real possibility. I really, really hope not. Don't think Halo is one of those series that need happy endings, bittersweet at most (and preferably not very sweet).

He was the most likeable of the bunch, but they gave him a diminutive personality.

The guy is the fucking captain of the largest human ship ever built. A ship that destroys Covenant cruisers by ramming the shit out of them.
Yet he allows his subordinates to boss him around, disrespect him, and ignore his orders.
Like what the hell. I mean, he had the courage to charge a Hunter with no armor and no weapons when he was young, but now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnbtiqSC0N0&channel=superslifer3000

edit: After reading some more of his back story it seems like he started to become a more compassionate person as he climbed the ranks. Maybe that is what 343 was trying to convey.

(I think it was) Thursday War also introduced Lasky, saying he was a loyal officer that put up with a great deal under Del Rio, and that his service and professionalism would be rewarded in the future.

Top Bottom