• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

gAg CruSh3r

really? lol if it's that bad I'll change it back

It's pretty creepy not going to lie. Please do.

Don't change.
179F0BE8-BA02-4B0C-99F7-6C52E76A6986.jpg

Omni

Is Destiny still P2P? I don't recall any discussion about dedicated servers

If so I'm impressed how good the coop feels. Maybe it's just 'cause everything is so bullet spongy but I've played with people from the US, England and Australia in the same game and it was smooth for everyone. Which really doesn't happen in Halo for some reason

Hopefully 343i improve on that for Halo 5.

Is Destiny still P2P? I don't recall any discussion about dedicated servers

If so I'm impressed how good the coop feels. Maybe it's just 'cause everything is so bullet spongy but I've played with people from the US, England and Australia in the same game and it was smooth for everyone. Which really doesn't happen in Halo for some reason

Hopefully 343i improve on that for Halo 5.

Dedicated servers, even in Australia.

Edit: more info: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/12/06/the-matchmaking-technology-of-destiny.aspx

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
The past couple nights I've gotten sucked into reading more of the lore of the Halo universe. Stuff that I've missed, especially between 3 and 4. It's some very interesting stuff. I'm always surprised how well the pieces fit together with the different people contributing. It has been at least 3-4 different writers creating the lore right?

That Human/Prophet alliance during prehistoric Humanity was pretty surprising. Also I had forgotten about the Precursors and their influence on the Forerunners and Humans.

Are there other lore buffs in here?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
What's the word from 343 on showing Combat Evolved footage from the Master Chief Collection? Have they showed anything?
I'm pretty sure they said they'd be showing it "within a month" at one of the recent conventions... Which was about a month ago? Can't remember exactly.

willow ve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-osssAKgEc

Content cut from Destiny and put behind a paywall?

This is not our Bungie anymore.

Felt that way even in the beta. Which is a main reason I didn't buy it at launch. Game always had that nagging feeling of "you'll need to buy every DLC to see what's behind door #2."

If it's really content that's just locked on the disc (ie; the download for the DLC is just a 1MB key) then that's a slap in the face.

edit - Xbox.com lists expansion one at 9.51MB and expansion two at 9.5MB (could just be placeholders or could be the entire game is already on your disc/download and the DLC is just simple unlock codes).

-Ryn

Banned
Love it.

Up until two days ago I thought the show was a spiritual successor to Twin Peaks. I think the name gave me that impressions somehow? I... uhh, don't pay much attention to TV, lol.
Yes, yes you do. It's fantastic.
In that case I WILL watch it
soon™

Because that's how i see AIs (they're tools, not beings as far as i'm concerned. Doesn't mean they can't be good characters though, And no, i don't see contradiction here). And because Cortana was fine as a character before Bungie (and 343i) started pushing this romance between her and the Chief.
Am i supposed to care about some in-human cyborg falling in love with an AI, a cyborg with a personality of a brick and an AI with personality that sure doesn't seem to have any romantic aspects (making the whole thing unbelievable in the first place)? And that death... ugh... Should have left out the part where the Cortana says goodbye and leave the Chief hanging and it might have been better.
I happen to like the implication the Spartans are broken, sociopaths, and if the Chief-Cortana relationship is interpreted as some kind of twisted dependence (since Halsey is kind of pseudo-mother for the Spartans, and Cortana resembles Halsey...), Cortana's death works nicely. But that doesn't mean i like either character. Nor do i see Cortana as more than software.
And unfortunately i expect she isn't permanently dead as far the series is concerned.

EDIT yeah, the romance works if you look at it as something dysfunctional. But then it is the romance that's "good", not the characters. IMO.

Now i might be defining Cortana a bit too much based on her relationship with the Chief... but since Halo 3 and 4's plots seem to be running based on it, what else am i supposed to do?
Just don't limit your perspective of her character to those 2 games. She was gone most of 3 and 4 was focused on her breaking down.

I think once an AI (or anything really) reaches that level of intelligence it is no longer a tool as it has a will of it's own. In your opinion at what point does something cease to be a tool and have value as a being? Or is that just not ever really a possibility?
Then there is the question of whether a being is necessarily more "valuable" as a character than a "tool" as you put it.

LOVE PLOTS

The romance between Chief and Cortana never really bothered me
awkward nipple touching aside
I've always thought it could go either way. Hell as long as it doesn't hijack the plot it could be an interesting thing to explore especially with the whole "she is more human than he is" thing.

Is a love plot necessary? No.
Do I think it ruins anything. Nope.
Just don't let it consume the plot 343 and have Cortana be an equal and a partner not just a love interest in distress.
I had an interesting conversation with a friend about Halo 5's story. Here is what we have come up with:

Cortana's main program is currently on a save place with the Librarian. She will become the first human technology based AI, that will "live" forever.

ONI will find clues/proof of Cortana not being dead and they will withhold that information from Chief. Master Chief will then find it out/go crazy and be pissed at ONI. That's when he starts to search for more clues about Cortana on his own, without permission from ONI. ONI will send Agent Locke after him and he'll visit the Arbiter on Sanghelios to find out more about him (reveal trailer). When he has enough information, he will start chasing the Chief through the universe. Meanwhile, Chief will rescue Dr. Halsey from the Covenant Storm faction and together, they will rescue Cortana.

---

Thoughts? :p
Sounds about as plausible as anything.

Chief could easily be searching for Cortana but on the other hand he might just be trying to finish what they had started. I wonder what even drives him at this point. Is it for humanity? Himself? Just the thrill of it? At this point, after all he's been through, I gotta wonder what's going on in his head.

I have people in a Destiny thread telling me Halo doesn't have lag in coop. Is this real life?
Not one I've ever been to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-osssAKgEc

Content cut from Destiny and put behind a paywall?

This is not our Bungie anymore.
activisionwithbungiehandpuppet.jpg

--

In other news I am now 21.
Buy me a drink Frankie?

dwells

Goddammit on the Bioshock Infinite spoiler a page back. I got one major plot point spoiled for me before launch and put off playing it for a while as a result. Just finished building a cheap gaming PC and was going to fire up Infinite this weekend and just got another huge point (ending) spoiled for me. Goddammit I'm cursed with this game.

Seriously, Bioshock was one of my favorite games ever and I was so hyped for Infinite that I refused to watch any trailers or anything so I would go in completely blind. I'm not blaming the person who wrote the spoiler as I understand it's been like a year or so since release, but just saying how much my luck sucks.

On a similar note, I had the sixth Harry Potter book spoiled for me in the airlift on Ivory Tower during Halo 2 matchmaking. Wound up taking a several year break from the series because I lost the motivation to read it at that point.

:(

Gui_PT

Goddammit on the Bioshock Infinite spoiler a page back. I got one major plot point spoiled for me before launch and put off playing it for a while as a result. Just finished building a cheap gaming PC and was going to fire up Infinite this weekend and just got another huge point (ending) spoiled for me. Goddammit I'm cursed with this game.

Seriously, Bioshock was one of my favorite games ever and I was so hyped for Infinite that I refused to watch any trailers or anything so I would go in completely blind. I'm not blaming the person who wrote the spoiler as I understand it's been like a year or so since release, but just saying how much my luck sucks.

On a similar note, I had the sixth Harry Potter book spoiled for me in the airlift on Ivory Tower during Halo 2 matchmaking. Wound up taking a several year break from the series because I lost the motivation to read it at that point.

Get off the Internet

-Ryn

Banned
Happy birthday. :D
Happy birthday!

Booze is overrated.
Thanks a lot guys.
I thought booze was the only way I could become a real man.

We were born on the same day Ryn!
Well Happy Birthday to us both BRO
tumblr_inline_mqcuuu1Na31qz4rgp.gif

Happy Birthday to EVERYONE
It's an anniversary of sorts.

I changed it back due to it making everyone sick. Who knows, maybe it will return one day.
I was sad to see it go...

Tawpgun

GSO!

After a year spoilers are pretty much free reign imo.

Fuchsdh

Sorry mate. I don't care about spoilers but I don't try and be a jerk about it.

I wouldn't feel discouraged. Infinite is a good game with a really involving story, and there's a lot of twists to the end.

-Ryn

Banned
You're my New favorite poster. RIP in pieces, wahrer.
I feel a sudden urge to make random GIFs

Sorry mate. I don't care about spoilers but I don't try and be a jerk about it.

I wouldn't feel discouraged. Infinite is a good game with a really involving story, and there's a lot of twists to the end.
It's Shamamlama pretzel levels of twists. Only back when he actually knew how to make movies.

Top Bottom