• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

HTupolev

I just hope it doesn't look terrible like Halo 4 did in split screen.
Although Halo 4's splitscreen isn't great, people would probably feel a lot better about it if they simply corrected the reticle. Hopefully they do, as the way it is right now (read: last I checked, probably a year ago) really ought to be regarded as a UI bug.

I'd be fine with split being limited to 2 players in MM too. I've had far too many BTB games instantly voided by a four player box quit. A quarter screen is a significant visual and aural disadvantage, so much so that it's exceedingly rare to see anybody using one making a decent contribution to a team game.

With only five or so weeks to go till release I could really go for some beefier bulletin features on the MCC. Absolutely no need to be coy about a game that features games we've all already played. Net code spotlight, playlist thoughts, screen comparisons between the old and the new.

FyreWulff

I'd be fine with split being limited to 2 players in MM too. I've had far too many BTB games instantly voided by a four player box quit. A quarter screen is a significant visual and aural disadvantage, so much so that it's exceedingly rare to see anybody using one making a decent contribution to a team game.

With only five or so weeks to go till release I could really go for some beefier bulletin features on the MCC. Absolutely no need to be coy about a game that features games we've all already played. Net code spotlight, playlist thoughts, screen comparisons between the old and the new.

Well, remember that it's 1080p native now. 4-split works out to be like this:

yJ0Bo5G.png

Since the outer area of the original Halo 3 image wasn't used by the UI to account for overscan and the title safe area, and assuming the MCC renders out to the edge, you -almost- have the same functional resolution in 4-split on the MCC as you did in Halo 3 playing on your own screen.

Fracas

#fuckonami
For splitscreen, you guys are just talking about MP right?

Because there's not much reason for me to even buy it if I can't play co-op with my bro.

FyreWulff

Wait so just two players on the one Xbox for Halo 3/4? Couldn't you have 4 player co-op on the same console before?

[spoiler[Not that I even have four people in my house who would wanna play Halo campaigns with me :lol[/spoiler]

nope, it was only 2. You could glitch Halo 3 into letting you play 3-split:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NJ7iG8s2tg

But officially, only ever was 2 per box for co-op and Firefight.

The glitch still exists in Reach, and allows you to get up to 4 players:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzOPJO9-HXY

-Ryn

Banned
nope, it was only 2. You could glitch Halo 3 into letting you play 3-split:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NJ7iG8s2tg

But officially, only ever was 2 per box for co-op and Firefight.

The glitch still exists in Reach:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzOPJO9-HXY
Wait that was a glitch?
I used to do that all the time with my bros.

For splitscreen, you guys are just talking about MP right?

Because there's not much reason for me to even buy it if I can't play co-op with my bro.
We actually aren't sure what's going on with MP. Split screen is confirmed for co-op.

-Ryn

Banned
Con-fir-mation bios?
Nobody was saying it MUST be true and that Deej MUST be lying.

The problem is that they are counting on everyone just trusting them. If Deej had even acknowledged the issues or hinted at there being some kind explanation later on then at least that'd be something. The problem is that they promised a game that was so much more than the game we actually got. So not everyone is inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.

This isn't about confirming I'm right. It's about finding out what the hell happened. I would WELCOME an explanation from them (as I'm sure many others would).

Overdoziz

Banned

The problem is that they are counting on everyone just trusting them. If Deej had even acknowledged the issues or hinted at there being some kind explanation later on then at least that'd be something. The problem is that they promised a game that was so much more than the game we actually got. So not everyone is inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.

This isn't about confirming I'm right. It's about finding out what the hell happened. I would WELCOME an explanation from them (as I'm sure many others would).
ye m8

Bungie isn't obligated to tell you what went on during the development anymore than a writers' room is obligated to tell you why a certain episode turned out poorly.

Cow

edit: never mind realised were talking about campaign. Has h2a multi online been confirmed 4 player splitscreen ?

-Ryn

Banned
Bungie isn't obligated to tell you what went on during the development anymore than a writers' room is obligated to tell you why a certain episode turned out poorly.
I never said they were obligated to do anything.

I said it would benfit them to do so and I think that the community deserves to know given how blatantly it's been lied to.

Except, your average team of writers don't spend years hyping up a particular episode, and watching it doesn't cost me 60 bucks. I don't think that wanting to know what the hell happened is a terribly unreasonable thing.

I never said they were obligated to do anything.

I said it would benfit them to do so and I think that the community deserves to know given how blatantly it's been lied to.
Except, your average team of writers don't spend years hyping up a particular episode, and watching it doesn't cost me 60 bucks. I don't think that wanting to know what the hell happened is a terribly unreasonable thing.

I didn't say wanting to know is unreasonable.

Perhaps I'm using a little too much understatement.

Bungie promised me one thing, gave me another, and took my money for the privilege. I do think I deserve, at the very least, to know what happened. Are they obliged to do so in any binding sense? No. Is that the same thing as there being no obligation at all? Also no.

Madness

Did Bungie really hype it, or the GAF'ers that started to create withdrawal threads and like several threads every few days? People said it would be the game of the generation already, said it would have legs well into next year. I'd try and find so many people who disagreed and make them eat crow if I cared enough on gaming side.

Bungie only said if you liked their past shooters you'll like this, and judging by those who still play, apparently the gunplay is one of the better things in this game, as are the strikes and PvE etc. They did oversell their PvP and world building but every games company does the same.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Did Bungie really hype it, or the GAF'ers that started to create withdrawal threads and like several threads every few days? People said it would be the game of the generation already, said it would have legs well into next year. I'd try and find so many people who disagreed and make them eat crow if I cared enough on gaming side.

Bungie only said if you liked their past shooters you'll like this, and judging by those who still play, apparently the gunplay is one of the better things in this game, as are the strikes and PvE etc. They did oversell their PvP and world building but every games company does the same.

I loved the alpha and beta, but things I shrugged off as stuff you'd exclude from a demo (competent story, more open areas, variety in general) turned out to be just poor game design in the final product.

It also didn't help that the beta was around 20% of the full game.

-Ryn

Banned
That last part didn't need to be in there and sounded really douchey. Now it looks better.
...so deserve is now synonymous with douchey? I seem to recall many people wanting an explanation after Halo 4.

Deserving something does not create an obligation.
Yes I realize it sounds crazy.

You're carrying a pitchfork and a torch and a white flag.

Relax.

H1 MP footage was promised?
I was only explaining my opinion on the matter so it isn't misconstrued.
I'm not out for blood.

--

I don't think they ever promised Halo CE footage.

Madness

I loved the alpha and beta, but things I shrugged off as stuff you'd exclude from a demo (competent story, more open areas, variety in general) turned out to be just poor game design in the final product.

It also didn't help that the beta was around 20% of the full game.

True. Once I played Old Russia, I pretty much knew I wouldn't enjoy the game like I thought. Sprint here, kill these enemies, darkness starts, deploy ghost, kill these enemies, end mission. Rinse, repeat etc. It felt like Spartan Ops. I also knew PvP would be a shitshow especially with supers.

Though I agree, I can't believe just how much they dropped the ball in terms of campaign, story etc. Does anyone even care enough to know what will happen for Destiny 2? It's crazy. At the end of Halo CE, I was consumed with the world and characters, I honestly don't even care about the Destiny story. It's also hard to fathom they went from Halo 3 campaign, ODST and Reach in terms of cutscenes, level design, storytelling to this.

True. Once I played Old Russia, I pretty much knew I wouldn't enjoy the game like I thought. Sprint here, kill these enemies, darkness starts, deploy ghost, kill these enemies, end mission. Rinse, repeat etc. It felt like Spartan Ops. I also knew PvP would be a shitshow especially with supers.

Though I agree, I can't believe just how much they dropped the ball in terms of campaign, story etc. Does anyone even care enough to know what will happen for Destiny 2? It's crazy. At the end of Halo CE, I was consumed with the world and characters, I honestly don't even care about the Destiny story. It's also hard to fathom they went from Halo 3 campaign, ODST and Reach in terms of cutscenes, level design, storytelling to this.

I think that's why so many (including myself) are inclined to believe 404. There's just this massive disconnect between the Bungie games I'm familiar with and Destiny.

-Ryn

Banned

Nah. They hyped the hell out of it.

"See that mountain in the distance? You can go there."

"We wanted to create a world that you want to explore and with enough variety that you want to keep going there."

"The choice of your character class and race will condition how your character evolves over time."

Many areas that were shown off never appear in the game. Saturn was teased as something you could explore. What happened to Chicago and Europa?

They talked about how customization was important to them and that you could make your Guardian how you want... which you can't because after level 20 you need your armor to have more light or else you are screwed. I also recall mention of each world being the size of Reach's campaign. I don't really have a link to that though so it could wrong.

E3 Reveal

Out in the Wild ViDoc

Reveal Trailer
There is more explanation in that reveal trailer than the entire campaign of the game.

The entire game is essentially horde mode aside from the Raid. The multiplayer only has 5 modes. How is that variety?

Madness

Hope they start MCC specific commercials soon. Maybe some commercial that takes the 2004 Halo 2 commercials and then morphs them into H2A to show the differences, how it's been ten years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibZrP6TPkIY

Problem is, most of us know what happens now, and the sequel/story aspect isn't the selling point itself. Tired of seeing H4 Chief as part of that Rocky Balboa "that's how winning is done" commercial only. 

And we aren't obligated to believe them when they claim the user was "lying" and "trolling".

Bungie has shown time and time again that they're incomptent developers and aren't above lying to their player base. I totally believe the AMA 100%.

I honestly believe them making Halo was a fluke.

And we aren't obligated to believe them when they claim the user was "lying" and "trolling".

Bungie has shown time and time again that they're incomptent developers and aren't above lying to their player base. I totally believe the AMA 100%.

Speedy's quest for a new tag continues!

Hope they start MCC specific commercials soon. Maybe some commercial that takes the 2004 Halo 2 commercials and then morphs them into H2A to show the differences, how it's been ten years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibZrP6TPkIY

Problem is, most of us know what happens now, and the sequel/story aspect isn't the selling point itself. Tired of seeing H4 Chief as part of that Rocky Balboa "that's how winning is done" commercial only. 

Problem is, aside from original content created solely for commercials, is that all the new content in MCC shouldn't be spoiled. We have the bookend cinematics that lead to Halo 5, and the new Terminals focused on the Arbiter. I don't want either of those spoiled, and I'm sure neither does 343.

Kinda sucks, I wanted kick ass commercials.

Problem is, aside from original content created solely for commercials, is that all the new content in MCC shouldn't be spoiled. We have the bookend cinematics that lead to Halo 5, and the new Terminals focused on the Arbiter. I don't want either of those spoiled, and I'm sure neither does 343.

Kinda sucks, I wanted kick ass commercials.

Oh man, I'd totally forgotten about the bookends.

November intensifies.

FyreWulff

Driveby troll posts crap in his free time. They're supposed to spend a bunch of time on an internet stranger just to make some people feel better?

There's no point in explaining anything when the response is just going to be "coverup!!11"

Bungie has shown time and time again that they're incomptent developers

wat

and aren't above lying to their player base. I totally believe the AMA 100%

wat and also bungie is supposed habitual liars, but someone from bungie would be 100% believable.. even though they'd be.. my brain

I'm not sure you can call Halo a fluke when you do it 5 times to high reviews. Jesus christ that's salty.

Madness

Nah, I'll disagree. The industry is in a much different position than 2001, and the company isn't the same either. Anything that is massively successful is then compared with for every release. Depending who you ask, Halo CE, Halo 2 or Halo 3 is their favorite Halo game in terms of MP or Campaign.

Is Bungie the same company that made Halo CE? Not necessarily. Are they incompetent? No. They are still some of the most passionate and talented people in the business. I'd say Halo CE just happened at the right time with the right people, just like Rare with Goldeneye/Perfect Dark before them for consoles.

As for that AMA, whether it's a troll, I tend to side with Deej on this. It's very easy to lie on the Internet. People make up shit all the time.

In terms of Destiny's story, even without this supposed insider it's very plain to see that what we got was vastly different than what was planned in the beginning and what was "sold" to us at E3 2013 and on. Do I believe all the explanations this reddit guy had? Not especially, though some have made sense. But I know that, for whatever reason, Bungie had to scale back from what they planned to what we got.

The question is, will a lot of the story come out as DLC, or is it lost to the world?

TheXbox

No doubt, man. Marathon was a fluke. Myth was a fluke. Halo CE? Fluke. Then after that they fluked four times in a row just to prove how terrible they were.

Top Bottom