• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

VinFTW

That's a shame, you might learn something if you weren't so stubborn.

You should learn how to read. Never said I wasn't going to buy it. I'm still so optimistic... it's just my insanely high hype levels dropped to only being very high.

Don't assume the worst of people.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I would buy the MCC even if it only included H2A.

If they threw in Reach I would give them my first born child
I don't have one

Mix

You should learn how to read. Never said I wasn't going to buy it. I'm still so optimistic... it's just my insanely high hype levels dropped to only being very high.

Don't assume the worst of people.

Okay, really? YOU need to learn how to read. I said, before not buying it was ever brought up, that I wasn't only talking about you. What was directed toward you was the rest of the post you said you refused to read. Don't come in here during a conversation to say "eh, Hype levels dropping" when it's irrelevant to the current conversation. Why post if you're going to inspire a negative conversation? It's like coming in here and starting a conversation about how Halo 4 is bad because X reason and just leaving the thread. If you can't deal with someone's rebuttal you shouldn't start arguments. I wasn't calling you a piece of shit, I was saying that these posts are irreverent and unneeded.

EDIT: You know, there's no point in arguing with you. You've already made your stance clear so no matter what I say you won't agree with me. I was just trying to say that people shouldn't come in here with posts that have a clear goal in bringing the moral of the thread down. That whole page was funny/positive and you come in and made it negative. Just leave that shit somewhere else.

Critique realistically.

VinFTW

Okay, really? YOU need to learn how to read. I said, before not buying it was ever brought up, that I wasn't only talking about you. What was directed toward you was the rest of the post you said you refused to read. Don't come in here during a conversation to say "eh, Hype levels dropping" when it's irrelevant to the current conversation. Why post if you're going to inspire a negative conversation? It's like coming in here and starting a conversation about how Halo 4 is bad because X reason and just leaving the thread. If you can't deal with someone's rebuttal you shouldn't start arguments. I wasn't calling you a piece of shit, I was saying that these posts are irreverent and unneeded.

Irrelevant to the current conversation... in a thread discussing the MCC? Hmm. And check my post history. Clearly very hyped about the MCC. It's my most anticipated, but FFS, if a FAN can't have genuine concerns over a game he wants to be good... Just sounds like you want everybody to say positive things and that's it. That's some conversation...

Anyways, I'm not going to argue with some guy on a discussion board, seems ridiculous.

Mix

Irrelevant to the current conversation... in a thread discussing the MCC? Hmm. And check my post history. Clearly very hyped about the MCC. It's my most anticipated, but FFS, if a FAN can't have genuine concerns over a game he wants to be good... Just sounds like you want everybody to say positive things and that's it. That's some conversation...

Anyways, I'm not going to argue with some guy on a discussion board, seems ridiculous.

lol I am the furthest from wanting one sided discussions. But like I said, it doesn't matter, I respect your opinion and your concerns. Sorry to get all worked up over it.

I actually think my hype is starting to decrease for the MCC. No Halo 1 footage? No Halo 4 footage? Barely any Halo 3 footage.

Just seems like a bad sign to me.
I think i understand your worries but i think ultimately, they're wrong. The big focus isn't Halo 4 or CEA, or even Halo 3, its the 10th Anniversary of Halo 2, and thats what they're making new content for, like it or not, the other games being ported over was an afterthought. Both halo 4 and CEA were rendered natively in 720p, and YouTube doesn't publicly support 60fps playback, not to mention the horrendous video compression, so there is no good way to distribute media that people would be able to appreciate. The Entertainment industry in general is just NOW starting to hop on the high FPS revolution, allow it time to catch up instead of blaming the developers to show their hand early only for uneducated people across the internet whine because it looks exactly the same as halo 4. Wait and experience it for yourself. $60 for H2A and the Halo 5 beta is worth it at that point period, everything else is just a bonus.

FyreWulff

Yep, I was familiar with Azure for other situations and tasks besides games, but I wasn't sure how closely intertwined they were in the Xbox ecosystem. Interesting to learn.

MS wants developers to use Azure for stuff on the One ), but multiplat publishers/development tends to still roll their own, due to having their tech matured and also corporate pride over not using a competitor's stuff.

Of course, I'm expecting Azure to have a completely new name in 3 years, because that's how Microsoft rolls.

Mix

I think people have a right to be worried/cautious considering what happened with Halo 4.

As I made myself clear in a follow up post. I'm not against worries and opinions, it's much more just the repetitiveness of of the post. As Zoojoo said above me, It's really a relaunch of Halo 2 and a beta invite for Halo 5 AND the new digital series, Nightfall. Everything else is really just bonus material.

As I made myself clear in a follow up post. I'm not against worries and opinions, it's much more just the repetitiveness of of the post. As Zoojoo said above me, It's really a relaunch of Halo 2 and a beta invite for Halo 5 AND the new digital series, Nightfall. Everything else is really just bonus material.
Says you.

You apologized for getting worked up over it, so maybe you shouldn't play the defensive card before this escalates unnecessarily. VinFTW doesn't deserve the F bomb and tone you have in your posts, so maybe we should all just hug it out and let it go. IIRC, 343 haven't said what I bolded in your post, but even if they did, that still doesn't mean people can't be excited for anything other than what H2, a beta, and a new digital series that most people will probably watch online later anyway.

Love, not war.
Actually you should be even more hyped for not seeing more Halo4 footage, maybe it does mean it didn't make it in.
I'm actually very excited that Halo 4 is a part of this package. It might serve as a great palette cleanser between CE/H2 matches.

RowdyReverb

I actually think my hype is starting to decrease for the MCC. No Halo 1 footage? No Halo 4 footage? Barely any Halo 3 footage.

Just seems like a bad sign to me.

They have to save something for the final weeks to work people up into a launch frenzy. Too early to blow their load now. It seems to me like they're trying to focus attention on the H2A multiplayer to emphasize the new experiences MCC is bringing and stand out among the other remastered last gen titles. Also, I think it's hard to distribute videos in 1080p60 that would illustrate the improvements in the ports, and they'll inevitably get compressed and reposted to YouTube anyway.

Some new footage of the ports would be nice though. Not because I'm concerned, just because this hype train needs a bit more coal in the long final stretch.

Booshka

I think i understand your worries but i think ultimately, they're wrong. The big focus isn't Halo 4 or CEA, or even Halo 3, its the 10th Anniversary of Halo 2, and thats what they're making new content for, like it or not, the other games being ported over was an afterthought. Both halo 4 and CEA were rendered natively in 720p, and YouTube doesn't publicly support 60fps playback, not to mention the horrendous video compression, so there is no good way to distribute media that people would be able to appreciate. The Entertainment industry in general is just NOW starting to hop on the high FPS revolution, allow it time to catch up instead of blaming the developers to show their hand early only for uneducated people across the internet whine because it looks exactly the same as halo 4. Wait and experience it for yourself. $60 for H2A and the Halo 5 beta is worth it at that point period, everything else is just a bonus.

You can stream 60FPS 1080p on Twitch, they could have done that by now if they wanted to show either Halo CE or Halo 4 in their full glory.

I watch 1080p 60FPS streams all the time, you need a very strong PC, at least 10mb upload and OBS, it's not an impossible proposition.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm excited to play Halo 4 again, but only Doubles (which will hopefully be in matchmaking?) and Throwdown (which probably won't).

Cow

I understand this, you are buying it for those reasons, and I'd imagine you'd be worried had you not seen any H2A footage by now.

However, a lot of people are buying it and an XB1 purely for H1 (or original H2) online, $400 for one game. Understandably they want to make sure the experience is true to the original before making such a purchase. If the game is finished and running well why not show off an "updated" almost 13 year old game before release. On the other hand they could just wait until release, and see how it plays before they purchase it, but that kind of ruins the hype doesn't it, those people want to be there day one as well.

VinFTW

They have to save something for the final weeks to work people up into a launch frenzy. Too early to blow their load now. It seems to me like they're trying to focus attention on the H2A multiplayer to emphasize the new experiences MCC is bringing and stand out among the other remastered last gen titles. Some footage of the ports would be nice though. Not because I'm concerned, just because this hype train needs a bit more coal in the long final stretch.

Agreed. Especially w/ the last part.

Says you.

You apologized for getting worked up over it, so maybe you shouldn't play the defensive card before this escalates unnecessarily. VinFTW doesn't deserve the F bomb and tone you have in your posts, so maybe we should all just hug it out and let it go. IIRC, 343 haven't said what I bolded in your post, but even if they did, that still doesn't mean people can't be excited for anything other than what H2, a beta, and a new digital series that most people will probably watch online later anyway.

Love, not war.

I'm actually very excited that Halo 4 is a part of this package. It might serve as a great palette cleanser between CE/H2 matches.

Thanks friend <3

RowdyReverb

Original networking model for coop?

Ugh.

Dedis will (not) save us!

A little sad about this too. You'd think they could have a server act like a host Xbox 360 in a Halo 3 online co-op game, but without a player in the game. That way, the client Xboxen wouldn't have to run slow to account for the extra work that the host console is doing.

It's probably nowhere near that simple though, and I'm sure smarter people than me have pondered the problem. Oh well. Halo 5 should have some glorious lag-free co-op.

I'm excited to play Halo 4 again, but only Doubles (which will hopefully be in matchmaking?) and Throwdown (which probably won't).
"What do you guys want to play? Some CE 2v2's, BTB, 4v4's? Maybe some Halo 2 Objectives, play on some great maps, do some fun Custom Games? We played about 100 hours worth of Halo 2 already, you want to play a couple games of Halo 4? Shit man idk, let's just play some fucking Halo."

November 11th.
Thanks friend <3

Junior pliss, I have no allegiances.
<3 :B

TheXbox

No it's not. It's called the Master Chief collection. The collection of Master Chief games. Halo 2 is one of
three
. You must be confused, because Nightfall and the beta are the bonus material.

VinFTW

"What do you guys want to play? Some CE 2v2's, BTB, 4v4's? Maybe some Halo 2 Objectives, play on some great maps, do some fun Custom Games? We played about 100 hours worth of Halo 2 already, you want to play a couple games of Halo 4? Shit man idk, let's just play some fucking Halo."

November 11th.

Junior pliss, I have no allegiances.
<3 :B

rofl ;)

Mix

Okay, I'll digress. I did not mean to cause a ruckus, honestly and nothing malicious was meant nor directed to anyone individually so for that I apologize. I was more so targeting the overall negativity of the posts that share the same concerns. I should have made it more clear that my concerns were not with VinFTW, but more so that it's just kind of a bummer to see people being worrisome of something they shouldn't have to worry about.

I seriously look forward to playing with everyone later this fall.

Madness

I pre-ordered this game and the soon to gather dust Xbox One, solely so I could play Halo CE/2/3 and possibly H2A. I don't really care much about anything else.

Halo 5 Beta? While I'm excited to try it sure, I think I'm more excited for H2A than H5 solely because H2A makes me think this is what Halo 4 should have been at launch. Halo 5 Beta, the fact that there are no large maps, we haven't heard anything beyond 4v4 makes me curious whether they're trying to win over classic fans before they drop the Infinity 2.0 and continuation of Reach/4 mechanics.

I still have a ton of 360 games to beat, I didn't even want Xbox One, but I didn't want to miss out on the first month of matches on Halo 2 or Halo 3 online again. Nothing ever beats the fun you have on launch day, launch week, launch month.

Booshka

I pre-ordered this game and the soon to gather dust Xbox One, solely so I could play Halo CE/2/3 and possibly H2A. I don't really care much about anything else.

Halo 5 Beta? While I'm excited to try it sure, I think I'm more excited for H2A than H5 solely because H2A makes me think this is what Halo 4 should have been at launch. Halo 5 Beta, the fact that there are no large maps, we haven't heard anything beyond 4v4 makes me curious whether they're trying to win over classic fans before they drop the Infinity 2.0 and continuation of Reach/4 mechanics.

I still have a ton of 360 games to beat, I didn't even want Xbox One, but I didn't want to miss out on the first month of matches on Halo 2 or Halo 3 online again. Nothing ever beats the fun you have on launch day, launch week, launch month.

Don't forget the Christmas Noobs and the 2 Week Slaughter during Winter Break!

Okay, I'll digress. I did not mean to cause a ruckus, honestly and nothing malicious was meant nor directed to anyone individually so for that I apologize. I was more so targeting the overall negativity of the posts that share the same concerns. I should have made it more clear that my concerns were not with VinFTW, but more so that it's just kind of a bummer to see people being worrisome of something they shouldn't have to worry about.

I seriously look forward to playing with everyone later this fall.
Gonna be so hype! Halo games to always have in our back pocket for the rest of this generation? This collection is a big deal :]
The tears will be delicious.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
31yvz.gif

Gui_PT

You guys don't even have friends to play co-op with

Btw I forgot to mention here how Ninja said he only told people he liked Halo 4 so other people would like it. "I knew Halo 4 sucked but if I told people I liked it, everyone else would too"

Idiot

-Ryn

Banned
You guys don't even have friends to play co-op with

Btw I forgot to mention here how Ninja said he only told people he liked Halo 4 so other people would like it. "I knew Halo 4 sucked but if I told people I liked it, everyone else would too"

Idiot
He doesn't deserve the name "Ninja"

Madness

Haha yeah, the influx of fresh blood during holidays is always welcome. I wonder how the ranking and trueskill will work though.

I also meant that the first night, week, month is always the best because there is just so many people on all over the world, excited to play, etc. I think though, I'm probably going to get my ass handed to me. I probably play 1/10th as good as I did in 04.

-Ryn

Banned
So apparently there was a Bungie employee who came on to answer a lot of question regarding Destiny

Bungie Employee AMA on Reddit

Deej came on and said it's a troll but I wonder (assuming this guy really is just a troll) how close this is to the actual reasoning behind Destiny being so... lacking. What do you guys think? I'd like to think that Bungie aren't just incompetent.

willow ve

So apparently there was a Bungie employee who came on to answer a lot of question regarding Destiny

Deej came on and said it's a troll but I wonder (assuming this guy really is just a troll) how close this is to the actual reasoning behind Destiny being so... lacking. What do you guys think? I'd like to think that Bungie aren't just incompetent.

Whenever I've been feeling down the past few weeks I just take a stroll through the Bungie forums for a good dose of salt.

Madness

I've barely used B.net since their update. Just don't like the change/layout. Here's hoping Waypoint is revamped in time for MCC launch, don't want to sign in just to view stats on that slow site.

Omni

I've barely used B.net since their update. Just don't like the change/layout. Here's hoping Waypoint is revamped in time for MCC launch, don't want to sign in just to view stats on that slow site.

I dislike how script heavy the site is now. It's a mess. Can't even use it on mobile devices any more

Madness

I dislike how script heavy the site is now. It's a mess. Can't even use it on mobile devices any more

Yeah, for a long time on my phone, I can't even see anything on the site, just the background. The only way I can read bulletins is by scrolling down and then "holding" my thumb on the screen as if I'm about to click something then moving it up to read. Don't know what the problem is. Phone is running Android 4.4.2

I'd prefer if the site was overhauled, and the sign in requirement especially removed.

Seriously, it's a mess. Too many damn bells and whistles.

I still don't think that Deej's denial was much of a denial. My money's on most everything the guy said being true.

-Ryn

Banned
Seriously, it's a mess. Too many damn bells and whistles.

I still don't think that Deej's denial was much of a denial. My money's on most everything the guy said being true.
I think it's hilarious if he honestly expects that to be enough.
"Bungie employees are easy to spot in the wild"
What does that even mean? I'm gonna go ahead and trust the guy who actually put forth an actual (believable) explanation as opposed to nothing at all.

But that "bungie employee" didn't say anything of substance. Any of us could make up the same bullshit. You guys don't actually think some random dude on reddit is a bungie employee do you?

Come on.

But that "bungie employee" didn't say anything of substance. Any of us could make up the same bullshit. You guys don't actually think some random dude on reddit is a bungie employee do you?

Come on.

Maybe he's for real, maybe he isn't. If he is real, it'd explain a hell of a lot, including why Bungie isn't forthcoming with their own version of the story.

The point is that Deej's non-denial doesn't carry a ton of weight ATM.

dwells

nope

well, might be slightly better since it's 60fps, as that will reduce the input lag even offline.

but it's gonna be the same netcode.

Do you have a source for that? Last time I brought this up, Frankie said that the netcode implications (particularly in relation to the Azure platform shift) were being investigated and considered, which I would imagine means that some tweaking is being made at least.

willow ve

Hell, even on standard desktop computers the site runs so much better if you turn off the damn animated background. File that in a long ass list of "things we should have had a toggle for"

FyreWulff

random mcdude makes account today, posts stuff - MUST BE TRUE

developer says it's a troll - MUST BE A LIE

This is why developers don't even bother to respond most of the time.

Do you have a source for that? Last time I brought this up, Frankie said that the netcode implications (particularly in relation to the Azure platform shift) were being investigated and considered, which I would imagine means that some tweaking is being made at least.

Pretty sure Frankie was talking about multiplayer netcode. ViewtifulJC was asking about co-op, which would require a whole re-write (not a port) of Halo 3's campaign engine to remove button input lag. The game would not play the same as the original Halo 3, and this is a budget release and Halo 3 is already a straight port as it is. Technically possible to re-write the campaign engine? Sure. Way outside the scope of the project? Absolutely.

Which is also why I've said before that the original Halo 1 multiplayer isn't going to be 1:1 to playing on the Xbox, since the Xbox version was made for lockstep. The PC version is slightly different to accomodate internet pings. The MCC would also have to do things to accomodate internet pings, even if it's not the original PC netcode. The casual player probably wont' notice, but the hardcore Xbox H1 players will.

Related tangent: Perfect Dark XBLA was a budget port that added 8 player online multiplayer to a game that originally had 4 player multi on a single N64. How did they keep things in sync in the multiplayer mode? They cheated it a bit and made physics objects no longer function if you were online, so you can't move ammo boxes with explosions and gunfire, and the hover crate can't be moved in the warehouse level so you can't use it it to block hallways or attach remote mines to it and send it into a base. All they had to do was sync the players. If you play local split then everything has physics again.

and now Barrow Roll has to take a shot

Top Bottom