• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

random mcdude makes account today, posts stuff - MUST BE TRUE

developer says it's a troll - MUST BE A LIE

This is why developers don't even bother to respond most of the time.

And yet, he did. Look, I'm not taking 404's stuff as gospel here, but it pretty much lines up exactly with the game I ended up playing, and Bungie isn't forthcoming about their side of things. I don't know what to believe.

dwells

They haven't shown it yet because they aren't ready to show it yet. If they wanted people to see it, they'd show it. Maybe they think that youtube videos or trailers won't cut it, maybe they're waiting for the game to be in a more finished, more polished state

That's exactly the problem and the reason people are concerned. The game has less than a month to go before it goes gold, and there isn't so much as a screenshot of two of the four games in the package. The media we have seen isn't exactly inspiring, either. Halo 2 Anniversary campaign is running at sub-1080p with framerate problems in every video they've approved for media release. Halo 2 Anniversary multiplayer has been buggy and crashing at publicly demoed events.

There's also very little detail about, well, anything. Playlists, matchmaking, netcode, graphics and performance, etc. It's a pretty stark contrast to Halo games of past (particularly Halo 2 and 3) where the community was made to feel really involved in the development process through betas, regular updates, screenshots, footage, details, etc.

This franchise is one that's near and dear to many people's hearts, myself included, so of course some of us are concerned. It's not a matter of "doom and gloom" or "whining" or "driving up post count" or whatever nonsense you want to label it. It's legitimate concern due to a lack of media and information on a game that's less than a month from going gold and has been very tight-lipped on information in contrast to previous Halo games.

The Master Chief Collection represents a possible rebirth for the franchise and an absolutely huge opportunity for Halo as we know it to establish its foothold this generation. Our concern is out of love, not out of a desire to see it fail.

Fuchsdh

I've barely used B.net since their update. Just don't like the change/layout. Here's hoping Waypoint is revamped in time for MCC launch, don't want to sign in just to view stats on that slow site.

Not likely to happen. Halo 5's release, however, seems like a good time to show off a good new redesign :)

TheOddOne

ibtmjLQCdZ9Xyh.png

-Ryn

Banned
But that "bungie employee" didn't say anything of substance. Any of us could make up the same bullshit. You guys don't actually think some random dude on reddit is a bungie employee do you?

Come on.
It may sound dumb, but I'd rather have an explanation that sounds plausible than just have to continue thinking Bungie is either incredibly incompetent or massive dicks. I mean I don't like DLC much but if it's all new content then fine. Most of the content is ALREADY on the disc though. What the hell is this?

Is it really that implausible that a Bungie (or ex) employee who wanted the community to have SOME explanation did this? A lot of it lines up well with the info we have and if this is a "troll" it's the most generous troll I've ever seen. A lot of things in the explanation actually make Bungie more sympathetic as opposed to ya know, confirming they are just dicks (which wouldn't be that hard to do.

Glorious

HTupolev

Because there's not a lot of logical connection from "the Reddit guy isn't a Bungie insider" to "Destiny's issues are a result of Bungie being a bunch of dicks." It just means that the Reddit guy isn't based on knowledge of what actually went down.

Look: We are pretty damned sure that there were significant development troubles relating to story integrating pretty late in the game's development. And it's likely that the implications of such circumstances were more broad than just "let's add a Grimoire to the existing product." We don't know what exactly happened, and there are a lot of possibilities.

The Reddit guy's story, and the "Bungie are dicks" stuff, is not even remotely an exhaustive list. Saying that one is false does not imply that the other is true.

Booties

Banned
It may sound dumb, but I'd rather have an explanation that sounds plausible than just have to continue thinking Bungie is either incredibly incompetent or massive dicks. I mean I don't like DLC much but if it's all new content then fine. Most of the content is ALREADY on the disc though. What the hell is this?

Is it really that implausible that a Bungie (or ex) employee who wanted the community to have SOME explanation did this? A lot of it lines up well with the info we have and if this is a "troll" it's the most generous troll I've ever seen. A lot of things in the explanation actually make Bungie more sympathetic as opposed to ya know, confirming they are just dicks (which wouldn't be that hard to do.

Glorious

That's really stupid logic.

It's wishful thinking. Stupid? How so?

For once I actually agree with Dax. All that person on Reddit did was say what everyone has been complaining about. Nothing new was added by that thread. It was a verbatim rehash of a few popular arguing points in a 4 paragraph sequence that told a mildly interesting story.

You guys are suckers.

-Ryn

Banned
Because there's not a lot of logical connection from "the Reddit guy isn't a Bungie insider" to "Destiny's issues are a result of Bungie being a bunch of dicks." It just means that the Reddit guy isn't based on knowledge of what actually went down.

Look: We are pretty damned sure that there were significant development troubles relating to story integrating pretty late in the game's development. And it's likely that the implications of such circumstances were more broad than just "let's add a Grimoire to the existing product." We don't know what exactly happened, and there are a lot of possibilities.

The Reddit guy's story, and the "Bungie are dicks" stuff, is not even remotely an exhaustive list. Saying that one is false does not imply that the other is true.
For once I actually agree with Dax. All that person on Reddit did was say what everyone has been complaining about. Nothing new was added by that thread. It was a verbatim rehash of a few popular arguing points in a 4 paragraph sequence that told a mildly interesting story.

You guys are suckers.
My point was that the Reddit guys explanation sounded plausible and lines up with the info we currently have. I didn't say it MUST be true or that it proves anything. Nor did I even imply that saying one is false indicates the other is true. All I was saying was I'd LIKE to believe it.

Could it be false? Yes, easily. Could anyone have done it? Of course. However at least it is something in this period of nothing. I may be desperate for an answer but that doesn't mean I am just blindly going with it as if it is fact. I'm just saying it would make sense. It's also better than the alternative which would be Bungie is either incompetent or content to screw us over with DLC. Do you have another explanation other than those two alternatives? I'd love to hear it (that's not some sarcastic challenge I genuinely am interested).

Deej going on and saying we are being "trolled" and that "Bungie Employees are easy to spot" doesn't change anything either. If he gave SOME kind of explanation then that would've helped but all we got was essentially "Trust us" with a cryptic note at the end.

HTupolev

Do you have another explanation other than those two alternatives? I'd love to hear it (that's not some sarcastic challenge I genuinely am interested).
IMO the most plausible alternatives would be that there was some kind of major development snag late in development, but with an exact sequence of events that does not line up with 404's story.

//==========================

Deej going on and saying we are being "trolled" and that "Bungie Employees are easy to spot" doesn't change anything either. If he gave SOME kind of explanation then that would've helped but all we got was essentially "Trust us" with a cryptic note at the end.
Bungie does have the kind of image at the moment that could do with a good postmortem, but depending on the exact nature of the development troubles, it can be difficult to be simultaneously tactful and transparent.

Obviously that's not a great excuse, but really: although we can be aware that the worst is possible, we don't really have a reason to assume it.

I didn't say it MUST be true or that it proves anything.
Not very strictly, but your post does imply that if an alternative explanation is not given, you have to assume the worst:
than just have to continue thinking Bungie is either incredibly incompetent or massive dicks.

“Halo 3 and Halo 4, 1080p, 60 frames per second – both of those games turned out way better than I expected them too,” O’Connor said.

“I expected them to be good and fun and smooth, but especially in the case of Halo 4, there was just a lot of content that wasn’t being properly fulfilled on the screen.

“But you up that resolution – there are a few specific lighting things that we’ve adjusted just to make it work – and you’re just starting to see all this content that wasn’t visible before. So in some ways it’s like a really good Blu-ray remaster where you’re not just getting a better version of it, you’re getting more of it than you’ve ever seen before.”
Nice to know. Halo 3 @1080p60fps looked really nice and impressive. Can't wait how H4 will play.

-Ryn

Banned
IMO the most plausible alternatives would be that there was some kind of major development snag late in development, but with an exact sequence of events that does not line up with 404's story.

//==========================

Bungie does have the kind of image at the moment that could do with a good postmortem, but depending on the exact nature of the development troubles, it can be difficult to be simultaneously tactful and transparent.

Obviously that's not a great excuse, but really: although we can be aware that the worst is possible, we don't really have a reason to assume it.

Not very strictly, but your post does imply that if an alternative explanation is not given, you have to assume the worst:
Looking back my wording could've been better so my apologies for any confusion.

I can understand how it might be difficult for them to explain.
Hopefully they will shed some light on what happened soon. An honest explanation can go a long way and they certainly need it.

a 60 fps video hasn't been released to my knowledge but there is a video where they show it at a presentation and you can basically see Halo 3 in full 1080p running smooth as hell.
Didn't one of the streams have an option for it?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
We were talking about things that could possibly go wrong with the MCC, and I just realized: the lack of split screen would probably be my biggest disappointment.

Vico

We were talking about things that could possibly go wrong with the MCC, and I just realized: the lack of split screen would probably be my biggest disappointment.

https://blogs.halowaypoint.com/en-us/blogs/headlines/posts/the-halo-bulletin-6-19-14

Q: Can we still play local co-op and campaign?
-GravemindX2401

A: Yes, campaign co-op play will be supported across all four titles, both online and split-screen. In addition, we will be changing to a horizontal view for the split-screen multiplayer for Halo 2: Anniversary. The campaign co-op breakdown is as follows:

Halo: CE Anniversary – 2 players max, split-screen or online
Halo 2: Anniversary – 2 players max, split-screen or online
Halo 3 – 4 players max online, 2 players max split-screen
Halo 4 – 4 players max online, 2 players max split-screen

I'm pretty sure multiplayer is pretty much like before.

Top Bottom