• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

wwm0nkey

Also for Halo 5 player health NEEDS to be tied back to vehicle health, separating them ruined vehicle combat.

And Propipe needs to return.

Also for Halo 5 player health NEEDS to be tied back to vehicle health, separating them ruined vehicle combat.

I distinctly remember someone playing Halo 4 before release and claiming they managed to blow up a Warthog with three passengers in a single Binary Rifle shot. HaloGAF collectively freaked thinking the Binary Rifle wasn't only a one-shot kill weapon, but also some kind of Spartan Laser on steroids.

In reality, it just has to do with the janky health distribution. I've blown up damaged Warthogs (and killed their passengers by proxy) on vehicle hits, not biped hits with the Binary Rifle before and if the health values were still concurrent, there's no way it would have killed them.

wwm0nkey

I distinctly remember someone playing Halo 4 before release and claiming they managed to blow up a Warthog with three passengers in a single Binary Rifle shot. HaloGAF collectively freaked thinking the Binary Rifle wasn't only a one-shot kill weapon, but also some kind of Spartan Laser on steroids.

In reality, it just has to do with the janky health distribution. I've blown up damaged Warthogs (and killed their passengers by proxy) on vehicle hits, not biped hits with the Binary Rifle before and if the health values were still concurrent, there's no way it would have killed them.
Vehicle health still needs to go back to the 2/3 system. New system is garbage.

Propipe and brute shot could make a comeback to be vehicle flip weapons for more interesting vehicle encounters rather than blowing up a vehicle with an AR because it's on fire

dwells

I think you need to look up the definition of the word 'terrible.' It looks fine.
The image quality is poor by last gen standards and is noticeably worse than Halo PC, a lackluster PC port from a decade ago. When a title on a next-gen console looks worse than its PC version looks running on drastically weaker hardware, terrible is the appropriate word. Especially when graphical improvements are a major marketing/selling point of a re-release on next-gen hardware.

Seriously, compare the image quality and the overall look of these screenshots with some Halo PC shots and tell me that it's acceptable for the re-release to look worse:

halo-ce-chillout-wallpaper_1920x1080-2bbfc91b91f74f838319a77d389e6916.jpg

halo-ce-battle-creek-wallpaper_1920x1080-fc8925d8bcba4147a4c4b335dc303fbf.jpg

Doesn't even look like it hits 1080p. Hopefully it's the compression; if not then pretty disappointing.
Quick pixel counting looks like it might be 1080p native. However, there seems to be no AA solution implemented at all, and instead there's just a uniform blur across the entire image as an attempt to cover the jaggies. It fails at doing so and kills detail, and the result is something that looks like it isn't 1080p and might as well not be.

Sadly that's not compression, either. I'm really, really hoping those screens were taken from a buggy build.

Tawpgun

Running on the PC code might mean there's gonna be an audible "ping" everytime you damage an enemy. Like a hitmarker, but audio.

It was there on PC to compensate for the shitty netcode where you had to lead your shots, to make sure you knew your shots were hitting. Wondering if they kept it or turned it off somehow

HTupolev

Doesn't even look like it hits 1080p. Hopefully it's the compression; if not then pretty disappointing.
Doesn't even look like native 1080p and looks more like a poorly upscaled image.
I pixel counted, it's 1080p.

It's the blur filter.

Oh wow. I'm not sure I've heard this before.

This is amazing.

Why is Tears for Fears so good.

Running on the PC code might mean there's gonna be an audible "ping" everytime you damage an enemy. Like a hitmarker, but audio.

It was there on PC to compensate for the shitty netcode where you had to lead your shots, to make sure you knew your shots were hitting. Wondering if they kept it or turned it off somehow

I didn't really mind the "blop" audio hitmarker. I wouldn't be against them switching to something more subtle, though.

dwells

It's the blur filter.

As did I. Just meant that the look that is achieved makes it look more like what you would see when something is poorly upscaled. That blur defeats any improvements from running the game at a higher resolution.

The image quality is poor by last gen standards and is noticeably worse than Halo PC, a lackluster PC port from a decade ago. When a title on a next-gen console looks worse than its PC version looks running on drastically weaker hardware, terrible is the appropriate word. Especially when graphical improvements are a major marketing/selling point of a re-release on next-gen hardware.

Seriously, compare the image quality and the overall look of these screenshots with some Halo PC shots and tell me that it's acceptable for the re-release to look worse:
Looks fine to me.

Fracas

#fuckonami

It's the blur filter.

Oh wow. I'm not sure I've heard this before.

This is amazing.

Why is Tears for Fears so good.

Quick pixel counting looks like it might be 1080p native. However, there seems to be no AA solution implemented at all, and instead there's just a uniform blur across the entire image as an attempt to cover the jaggies. It fails at doing so and kills detail, and the result is something that looks like it isn't 1080p and might as well not be.

Sadly that's not compression, either. I'm really, really hoping those screens were taken from a buggy build.
Oh wow, that's even worse lol.

dwells

Not entirely. You lose the clarity, but you still have 1080p sampling, so you still get less aliasing than a lower-resolution upscaled image.

That's true, as evidenced by the fact that we're able to pixel count the image by the stair steps. It does defeat any clarity and detail improvements, os you get something that looks like a lower resolution upscaled image, except with moderately better stair stepping.

As I was saying, hopefully this was a buggy build and we won't see that in the final release. Even just going with 1080p and crappy FXAA would be a drastic improvement over that. Hell, I'll take no AA at all over that.

Booshka

Spartan Laser wouldn't be so OP if you couldn't continually pulse the charge over and over until you got your perfect shot. I think changing that would have made it less easy to kill vehicles, because you would really have to set up your targets and their trajectory to land a clean shot on them. I think that would be more balanced instead of constantly pulsing the shot behind a hill, rock or wall until you pop out at the last second and fire.

This might be a bit too extreme though, so maybe the "pulsing" that players do would drain the energy of the overall ammo and if you constantly pulse your shots, you wouldn't get as many charges for use. Whereas if you didn't pulse you could get the full amount of shots per weapon pickup. AKA what happened to the Plasma Pistol.

Spartan Laser wouldn't be so OP if you couldn't continually pulse the charge over and over until you got your perfect shot. I think changing that would have made it less easy to kill vehicles, because you would really have to set up your targets and their trajectory to land a clean shot on them. I think that would be more balanced instead of constantly pulsing the shot behind a hill, rock or wall until you pop out at the last second and fire.

This might be a bit too extreme though, so maybe the "pulsing" that players do would drain the energy of the overall ammo and if you constantly pulse your shots, you wouldn't get as many charges for use. Whereas if you didn't pulse you could get the full amount of shots per weapon pickup. AKA what happened to the Plasma Pistol.

I think that either of those solutions would be better than the current weapon. I also like the idea of once you start charging it up, you're committed to it.

But yeah. 343, please remove the Spartan Laser and add rockets in their place.

Sephzilla

I think that either of those solutions would be better than the current weapon. I also like the idea of what's you start charging it up, you're committed to it.

But yeah. 343, please remove the Spartan Laser and add rockets in their place.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember warthogs in particular being deadlier in 3 than they were in past games. I worry taking out the spartan laser and replacing it with the rocket launcher could have consequences.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember warthogs in particular being deadlier in 3 than they were in past games. I worry taking out the spartan laser and replacing it with the rocket launcher could have consequences.

In Halo 3, you have the following to take out Warthogs: brute shot, plasma pistol, plasma grenades, energy drainer, rockets, turrets, and missile launcher.

Maps play much better without the spartan laser. You get more vehicle action and the maps feel more dynamic because a team can't be completely shutdown by the weapon.

Sephzilla

In Halo 3, you have the following to take out Warthogs: brute shot, plasma pistol, plasma grenades, energy drainer, rockets, turrets, and missile launcher.

Maps play much better without the spartan laser. You get more vehicle action and the maps feel more dynamic because a team can't be completely shutdown by the weapon.

Compromise - Make the splaser start with less energy or something so its only good for one or two shots?

Compromise - Make the splaser start with less energy or something so its only good for one or two shots?

I'd like to see how that would play out, but unfortunately we don't have that option in Halo 3.

Remove the spartan laser, please. There are soooo many more ways you can take out a vehicle.

My goodness, am I sick to death of the Reach vehicle health system, trying to judge the smoking flames and crossing fingers it doesn't suddenly explode...bungie still doing that shit in Destiny, too

Its been very detrimental to my enjoyment of vehicles, both in multiplayer and campaign. Your vehicle gets a little fucked up and you get a checkpoint, gg stuck with it

Woorloog

Banned
Reach-like vehicle health system would not be an issue if:
1) The vehicles had a proper health meter
2) You could repair the vehicles somehow

At least, that's how i see it.
I'd rather have Halo 3-like vehicle health system. (And replace the Hornet with the Falcon and replace the Prowler with the Spectre and we got a perfect vehicle sandbox.)

I don't want to jump on a bandwagon of overly negative criticism, but my impressions of those CE images are less than stellar. Jaggies everywhere, armor/visor reflections nerfed, and overall image quality looks a bit blurry.

On such an old game I don't think it's silly for us to expect better than that...and THOSE are supposed to be proud desktop backgrounds? Nah...I'll pass.

That's how Unreal Tournament and Battlefield do it. As it is its just really irritating and inconsistent.

Thing is those games don't have recharging health...which is why the Halo 2/3 versions work because they're consistent with the player health system, they worked in unison

Just seemed like change for change sake

HTupolev

343 pls add CRT scanlines on top of the blur filter and dynamic jpeg artifacts for that true 2001 experience
Scanlines and jpeg artifacts? Are we trying to emulate the look of a compressed video of Halo 1 somehow viewed on a 240p signal on a CRT?

Gotta be combing and dot crawl.

I feel the same way.

I think people are going a little over board with pixel counting IMO.
As far as the pixel counting goes, I'm not that bothered by the clarity and aliasing; I prefer to play Halo 1 on original Xbox on a CRT, so I'm well used to it. What's strange is that those images should be better... and probably were better until some extra processing got done to them.

(In other words it likely won't be an issue in the release build, especially if we make a bunch of noise about how stupid it is.)

At least, that's how i see it.
I'd rather have Halo 3-like vehicle health system. (And replace the Hornet with the Falcon and replace the Prowler with the Spectre and we got a perfect vehicle sandbox.)

I'd be fine with this.

Though, TBPF, I'm not 100% sure how the vehicle health system worked in 2/3, but frankly anything would be better than having to guess when your Ghost was going to blow up under you.

wwm0nkey

I'd be fine with this.

Though, TBPF, I'm not 100% sure how the vehicle health system worked in 2/3, but frankly anything would be better than having to guess when your Ghost was going to blow up under you.
Basically if they were on fire they wouldn't blow up unless you health was all the way down, basically it was tied to your health and made vehicles useful.

343 please make sure this is in H2A, its actually critical for BTB.

dwells

Looks fine to me.

i think halo 1 looks fine

I feel the same way.

I think people are going a little over board with pixel counting IMO. I'm sure the game is going to look amazing either way.

To all of the above: it's not really going overboard at all. The screenshots released by 343i show that the game looks noticeably worse running on Xbox One than the PC version of the game from ten years ago looks.

Shouldn't a paid re-release of a game which has been marketed from moment one on its graphical improvements ("remastered, 1080p 60 frames a second") be a step forward rather than a big step back?

The second Halo PC screenshot I posted shows that the game actually has the ability to look great with its original assets as long as it's rendered correctly. It would be a shame to have that be buried under a blur filter and no anti-aliasing. It's a beautiful game with great art direction and one would hope that the Master Chief Collection would truly showcase that.

Why do these screenshots look blurry and not crisp like halo 1 pc?

I hope the shine on the assault rifle and flag pole is intact. These graphics were missing on the PC port.

The screenshots have some sort of blur post filter applied to them which makes them look muddy. I suspect it was placed there instead of a proper anti-aliasing solution in an attempt to hide the jaggies, but unfortunately it just makes it look worse.

As HTupolev mentioned, hopefully drawing attention to the issue will ensure that the blur filter is not in the final release of the game and the end result has much better image quality.

To all of the above: it's not really going overboard at all. The screenshots released by 343i show that the game looks noticeably worse running on Xbox One than the PC version of the game from ten years ago looks.
It looks fine, and as you guys have confirmed, it's 1080p. I dunno if they're done or not but if they released it like that I'd be okay with it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
People arguing about Halo 1 graphics 13 years later. I bet Bungie would have given everything to know they'd have this level of longevity when making the game.

On a (slightly) Halo-related note, I'm working on a track's going to end up with an 11/8 time signature and it's a surprisingly versatile measurement. Unreconciled from Reach used the same thing, if I'm remembering right. It's a nice "utility signature" of sorts when no other measurement can house the chord progressions you're trying to cram into a song. Race Results Screen from Mario Kart 64 also uses it.

I have a feeling that halo CE classic is the last thing they need to focus on when it comes to polish. They would probably want to save it for crunch time as opposed to Halo 2-4. I doubt adding appropriate levels of sharpness/anti-aliasing and graphical improvements would be that challenging or time consuming for them after completing the other 3 games.

That's my optimistic take anyways. We complain because we love. We love because...well, because Stinkles. <3

Nebula

I have a feeling that halo CE classic is the last thing they need to focus on when it comes to polish. They would probably want to save it for crunch time as opposed to Halo 2-4. I doubt adding appropriate levels of sharpness/anti-aliasing and graphical improvements would be that challenging or time consuming for them after completing the other 3 games.

That's my optimistic take anyways. We complain because we love. We love because...well, because Stinkles. <3

POSITIVITY ON MY HALOGAF?

Carry on.

belushy

Banned
MCC is IGN First of October

We'll have content every weekday because there's just so damn much to cover. Look for footage from all four campaigns in 1080p/60, all four multiplayers in 1080p/60 (five with the Anniversary stuff, technically), in-depth features, an all-request livestream with original Halo 2 multiplayer lead designer Max Hoberman on October 22, and a few surprises.

AlStrong

I doubt adding appropriate levels of sharpness/anti-aliasing and graphical improvements would be that challenging or time consuming for them after completing the other 3 games.

Well, adding a post process blur filter that wasn't in the original should be about as trivial as dropping in FXAA or SMAA 1x shaders. ;)

Booshka

On a (slightly) Halo-related note, I'm working on a track's going to end up with an 11/8 time signature and it's a surprisingly versatile measurement. Unreconciled from Reach used the same thing, if I'm remembering right. It's a nice "utility signature" of sorts when no other measurement can house the chord progressions you're trying to cram into a song. Race Results Screen from Mario Kart 64 also uses it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzB9XCrwvMk

Top Bottom