• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Fuchsdh

Really? That would have been fairly cool.. was that from the Art of Halo 4 book?

I really dunno where that came from, but I don't think I made it up :p. Might have been talking with the guys at PAX, actually.

Makes sense when you consider that it feels like a new gameplay sequence is about to start, and then just dips to white for the cutscene which doesn't actually show quite what they talked about right before.

I had a feeling they'd do something like this. I'd long thought that they'd have a Halo 2 type situation where we play as Chief and someone else. All signs pointed to Palmer because of her own story with ONI/Halsey and because of Spartan Ops. I thought we'd play half as Chief, half as Palmer.

I find it interesting though he'd say definitively in a sense Locke is the primary character. I'm guessing we'll most likely start off as Locke, and then shift to Chief at some junction. Let's hope he's solid in Nightfall and becomes a fan favorite.

I can't see that just because 343 still has to rub up against the expectations of Joe Casual who expect to play as Master Chief. Maybe there'd be an introductory mission and then switch to Locke for a bit.

They can pull a MGS2, promoting Locke as the new dude

and thats when they switch to Palmer after Locke gets dropped by an plasma-sword wielding Elite. Eggheads talk to her though the game ala Cortana.

The myth... the legend... the dedicated server
Halo 3 in TMCC:
sonyBigfoot.jpg
Sums up 2007-2010; its popularity was all a hoax, but it's still fun to go back to as a guilty pleasure, similar to Finding Bigfoot.

Akai__

When I heared Halo 5 "GUARDIANS" and saw the box art having Master Chief upside down, I was scared of this happening.

Not sure, if I'll like it. I just really hope they come up with a far far better campaign than Halo 4's.

IHaveIce

Banned
Halo 5 campaign already down on hype for me after this news :(

Not because I don't like Locke(hell i don't know him) but so far 343was terrible with new characters and a 2 character driven story is not easy to pull of in Halo ajd to keep it interesting.

Also I don't want to play a fucking S4 scrub.
Blue Team or bust. Why wouldn't ONI send the better S2s after Chief.

Dammit 343. Also "abilities" makes me reaaally worried

If Locke is the primary character, I'm definitely looking forward to how 343 tackles the campaign with him.

It's going to be fascinating, at the very least.

Akai__

We at least now know they are hunting him.

Technically, the Rookie in Halo 3 ODST was also hunting the ODST's. I really wouldn't mind, if it plays similiar to it.

Search for a clue ---> Play Master Chief flashback ---> Search for next clue.

I think that could work pretty well actually.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Not surprised at all, especially with the way 4 went.

Hopefully 343 can write him well, unlike the abomination that is Palmer.

Cow

This is the great thing about the Master Chief Collection, if Halo 5 has abilities amongst other things I don't have to get it!

Technically, the Rookie in Halo 3 ODST was also hunting the ODST's. I really wouldn't mind, if it plays similiar to it.

We need a Halo campaign that needs to expand on the direction ODST took anyway.

Nowise10

I'd be down if it was similar to Halo 2, where you change off between characters every other mission or so. They just need to do it right.

They also need to make Locke an interesting character, more importantly. And then outside of Locke, a campaign that isn't 100% linear and heavily scripted like Halo 4. And then also good and fun gameplay and levels.

Madness

Can't wait for the "I can't relate to black ppl bring back bald white space marine :(" post in Gaming Side

Shades of San Andreas reveal thread

image.php

Still going to be playing as a bald space marine as Locke. I'm wary because I don't want him to be like Palmer. Even if he's ultimately a good guy, too much antagonism towards Chief just won't be liked by the fanbase. Th last thing you'd want is for Locke to be an ONI pawn for too long. Look how many hated the "thought you'd be taller" disrespect towards Chief from Palmer.

I don't see the problem...?

It's a great way to vary up the campaign and really tackle the franchise from a fascinating direction. I applaud this.

Would've been really awesome had it been another woman, though.

Oh, my bad for wanting the primary character from Halo 1-4 to be the primary character in 5.

343i has also not impressed me so far with the stories and characters they've come up with so far, so honestly I'd rather them stay with what we know and trust than have them introduce yet more wacky shit into the universe.

TheOddOne

Kind of puts the announcement trailer in perspective. The Arbiter and Locke are probably going to be retreading where Chief has gone, maybe some kind of interesting dynamic shifting happens there.

I just like hearing Keith David doing that speech. Sue me, JC.

Oh, my bad for wanting the primary character from Halo 1-4 to be the primary character in 5.
I didn't say you were wrong for wanting the Chief?

I just think it's good to be open to new things. I find that a franchise should really experiment with its campaigns in order to keep things fresh. Besides, nothing's confirmed yet.

I would also love to play as the Blue team, either in a side game or a main. Kelly, Fred, and Linda deserve their own time in the spotlight after so long.

Fuchsdh

The only problem with this, from a story standpoint... is that insofar as "clues" the Rookie's story made no sense. He couldn't tell from a sniper rifle hanging above that Romeo had been gouged by a Brute, he wouldn't have known how Dare's helmet get launched with such force, et al. It didn't matter, because the Rookie just picked stuff up and kept going. But if you want an actual character to react... that recipe just wouldn't work.

RowdyReverb

I had assumed Halo 5 would switch between playable characters like Halo 2 with Locke potentially replacing John 117 as the Master Chief in the future depending on his reception. I mean, they are investing a lot in helping us get to know and love the new character, and MCC seems to be intended as a collection of all the games featuring John 117. There's got to be a reason for that

The Arbiter and Locke are probably going to be retreading where Chief has gone, maybe some kind of interesting dynamic shifting happens there.
I like this idea. Perhaps some flash-backs and flash-forwards at different places that switch the playable character? Sort of like ODST's campaign in a way

They can pull a MGS2, promoting Locke as the new dude
I could see that, although I could also see it in a way that ODST was done; Locke hunts down a location that Chief was at, and then the follow up level would be why Chief was there. Although it won't be in an abab format, Locke missions will probably stack up before the Chief's single one. So Locke may end up getting 2/3s or 3/5s of the game, but most likely a majority since he is now the "primary character."

I didn't say you were wrong for wanting the Chief?

I just think it's good to be open to new things. I find that a franchise should really experiment with its campaigns in order to keep things fresh. Besides, nothing's confirmed yet.

I would also love to play as the Blue team, either in a side game or a main. Kelly, Fred, and Linda deserve their own time in the spotlight after so long.

Your semantic wormholing aside, I think you are being way too optimistic about 343i's ability to develop characters from scratch. Or really, anything from scratch. This is why MCC is so exciting.

Importantly, that interview is implying less MC than the 50/50 split we had in 2 with the Arbiter, which I thought was fine. Other legacy characters would also be more acceptable to me than Locke, who I suspect is basically a drop in replacement for where they were hoping to go with Palmer.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I wonder if Locke was created out of the universal negative reaction to Palmer. I really thought she was going to get her own game. He just kind of came out of nowhere, too.

Caayn

I could see that, although I could also see it in a way that ODST was done; Locke hunts down a location that Chief was at, and then the follow up level would be why Chief was there. Although it won't be in an abab format, Locke missions will probably stack up before the Chief's single one. So Locke may end up getting 2/3s or 3/5s of the game, but most likely a majority since he is now the "primary character."
That would be an interesting take on it. Although I'd prefer to play the majority as the Chief, I don't want "abilities" in my Halo game.
Locke could be Palmer 2.0...
Worse than Eggheads? Oh god have mercy.
I wonder if Locke was created out of the universal negative reaction to Palmer. I really thought she was going to get her own game.
Wouldn't be surprised if Palmer was originally intended for that role.

Locke could be Palmer 2.0...
Or he might not. The campaign could suck, or it might not. We don't know yet.

I think the gameplay possibilities are tantalizing.
Your semantic wormholing aside, I think you are being way too optimistic about 343i's ability to develop characters from scratch. Or really, anything from scratch. This is why MCC is so exciting.

Importantly, that interview is implying less MC than the 50/50 split we had in 2 with the Arbiter, which I thought was fine. Other legacy characters would also be more acceptable to me than Locke, who I suspect is basically a drop in replacement for where they were hoping to go with Palmer.

I'm not doing any 'semantic wormholing.' And as far as being optimistic, that doesn't accurately describe it. It's that I'm more open to trying new things – especially in comparison to two years ago – and taking risks.

Omni

I don't have a problem with playing as Locke

But in all honesty I'd have preferred if we got a final game with the Chief first. I want him to go out in a blaze of glory instead of being pushed to the side

Omni

Wait, this is going to be the final game with the Chief?
Obviously we don't know that.

I just see this as a sign that 343i is looking to replace the Chief as the central figure of the Halo franchise. And before it happens I'd like to see him get a proper send off

Would be a valid answer if Halo 4 didn't happen like it did. Now he's just a broken shell of a man, which is hardly fitting IMO. Halo 3 was nice

To expand upon this, MC's gameplay would be about traditional Halo gameplay and large, open-ended combat encounters (using vehicles, Scarab encounters, etc.).

Essentially, mashing an overworld/game design narrative of ODST for Locke (smaller, more intimate fights; could expand upon what we felt when we saw the ODST announcement trailer) with traditional Halo gameplay encounters on a larger scale for MC could be very interesting.

Madness

I wonder if Locke was created out of the universal negative reaction to Palmer. I really thought she was going to get her own game. He just kind of came out of nowhere, too.

I'm like to think it was. Look at the story for Spartan Ops. She basically fit the Locke role perfectly. Becoming sort of an Anti-Halsey, and by relation anti-Chief, Halo pawn.

One of the main characters in Halo 4, introduced during War Games intro cinematic too, given top billing as Commander above Infinity, along with huge role in Spartan Ops. Plus, she was given her own starring game with backstory in Spartan assault, dedicated books/comics.

But she wasn't liked at all, so they've put her on the back burner it seems. You only get one shot to make a good first impression.

Top Bottom