• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

aycb

Neo Member
I wonder if Locke will call John, Master?

image.php

Am I doing that right?

Setting aside the possibility that the quote was a joke-brag, I'd be okay with that. Meet new people, explore the galaxy, pursue the Chief. The possibility that the ODST structure would be used (play segment, play flashback, repeat) is a good thought as well.

Also, Chik-Fil-A is garbage. Y'all are nuts.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
With the way that Halo 4's story ended, I'm actually happy that they are changing up the storyline.

The Human v. Covenant war is over with, so there isn't really the war drive as much as there was in the past. Halo 4 ended the Requiem threat,
(even though the Didact is still alive)
. I mean there is still the rouge Covenant factions to deal with, but that doesn't make for very intense storytelling.

I'm excited to see what they do with this new Locke character. The Arbiter will probably be a major character as well.

Maybe John is searching for Halsey. Halsey is a criminal now, so maybe Locke is tasked with finding John in order to find Halsey. Who knows.

Halo: Mjolnir Gear Solid

Also, Chik-Fil-A is garbage. Y'all are nuts.

What the fuck is wrong with you?

To expand upon this, MC's gameplay would be about traditional Halo gameplay and large, open-ended combat encounters (driving Hogs/using vehicles, Scarab encounters, The Silent Cartographer beach, etc.).

Essentially, mashing an overworld/game design narrative of ODST for Locke (smaller, more intimate fights; could expand upon what we felt when we saw the ODST announcement trailer) with traditional Halo gameplay encounters on a larger scale for MC could be very interesting.

Good concept, but it would be more logical the other way around since Chief no longer has an army to back him up and Locke does.

Also on an unrelated note, I'd be very interested to see where the Arbiter's alliance would fall if Locke was ordered to kill Chief, assuming that they had teamed up to find him.

Can we all remember that 343 didn't have much time at all to complete Halo 4 and it was just after a transition from Bungie? They have more time, a complete studio, and the talent hired to to this now. They are giving us the MCC and obviously care about it very much. Their reveal about Halo 5 MP seems very promising as well.

Be happy and don't make up more 1st world problems than we already have :)

Good concept, but it would be more logical the other way around since Chief no longer has an army to back him up and Locke does.
C'mon son, when did MC ever need that backup? He's been doing shit on his own since 2511. Not to mention, they're sending Locke on a hunt to find the Chief, meaning it lends itself perfectly to stealth and exploration; more intimate encounters similar to Metroid Prime. Locke can even encounter Samus in his adventures and they could eventually do a Haloid crossover, resulting from Nintendo becoming a third party.

Also on an unrelated note, I'd be very interested to see where the Arbiter's alliance would fall if Locke was ordered to kill Chief, assuming that they had teamed up to find him.

I think it depends on the framing scenario. Arby's number one priority has to be holding together his people. If helping Locke kill Chief helps that happen, he'll do it. Otherwise, I think the personal loyalty factor would go a long way.

And yeah, there's a dichotomy at play here. The big setpiece battles require big, setpiece armies, so Chief would logically be excluded from them, but Locke seems much more like a stealth character...

Fracas

#fuckonami
Can we all remember that 343 didn't have much time at all to complete Halo 4 and it was just after a transition from Bungie? They have more time, a complete studio, and the talent hired to to this now. They are giving us the MCC and obviously care about it very much. Their reveal about Halo 5 MP seems very promising as well.

343 deserves an award for remaking part of a game while contracting multiple other devs to port 3 others.

Halo is saved!

but Locke seems much more like a stealth character...
Exactly my thoughts, and considering he has that ONI logo on his armor, I think it's safe to say he's not showing up with armies behind him.

Mind you, I'm talking gameplay design, not the fact that MC is alone and Locke is with the UNSC. Just because MC is alone doesn't mean his battles will be on a smaller scale, as we've seen many times in Halo lore/gameplay and as evident in Halo 5's reveal trailer. My mistake earlier was using The Silent Cartographer in my example, but I more meant the Scarab encounters. Think of fighting that Forerunner War Sphinx from the reveal.

v lol

C'mon son, when did MC ever need that backup? He's been doing shit on his own since 2511. Not to mention, they're sending Locke on a hunt to find the Chief, meaning it lends itself perfectly to stealth and exploration; more intimate encounters similar to Metroid Prime. Locke can even encounter Samus in his adventures and they could eventually do a Haloid crossover, resulting from Nintendo becoming a third party.

Please allow this to happen.

I think it depends on the framing scenario. Arby's number one priority has to be holding together his people. If helping Locke kill Chief helps that happen, he'll do it. Otherwise, I think the personal loyalty factor would go a long way.

And yeah, there's a dichotomy at play here. The big setpiece battles require big, setpiece armies, so Chief would logically be excluded from them, but Locke seems much more like a stealth character...

Meeeehhhh, after the terminals trailer where the Arbiter talks about Chief as a friend, I kinda doubt he'd be so quick to turn on him. With Locke clearly having ties to ONI, and with how ONI/Arbiter relations in the Kilo Five Trilogy were tenuous at best (much better terms with Hood's Navy), I wouldn't be surprised if it's one of those "I don't trust you, and you don't trust me, but we need the Chief" kind of set ups.

I feel like Halo 5 will be the wind down from Master Chief and on to new characters/stories. 343/Microsoft see this as a very long term IP, so I'm sure they are itching to expand past what we already know about this viewpoint of this universe. If and when 6 happens, that'll be it for numbered entries.
Though I still like my idea of having 4 be a bridge entry and having this new trilogy go 5,6,7 to keep with the theme.

C'mon son, when did MC ever need that backup?

He doesn't, especially seeing how he barely got any in Halo 4, but if you want big, open battles, it's a lot more fun when the UNSC brings its stuff. For example, I don't think the Ark would've been nearly as epic without the UNSC helping the Chief out.

Woorloog

Banned
He doesn't, especially seeing how he barely got any in Halo 4, but if you want big, open battles, it's a lot more fun when the UNSC brings its stuff. For example, I don't think the Ark would've been nearly as epic without the UNSC helping the Chief out.

Bigger battles in Halos have always felt better with some Marines as cannon fodder.
The Silent Cartographer beginning, The Ark's big battles, anytime in Halo 2 when you got some backup (Halo 2 has least helper Marines, i think, but then its enemy encounters are also small, presumably memory limitations. Never bothered me though).

No excuses, they knew what they were doing and things they added will not fly. I would say they seem better as of now. From the small info we know about Halo 5,it sounds promising but lets wait and see.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Obviously we don't know that.

I just see this as a sign that 343i is looking to replace the Chief as the central figure of the Halo franchise. And before it happens I'd like to see him get a proper send off

Would be a valid answer if Halo 4 didn't happen like it did. Now he's just a broken shell of a man, which is hardly fitting IMO. Halo 3 was nice

Adding a new character is so not the same thing as replacing chief.

Bigger battles in Halos have always felt better with some Marines as cannon fodder.
The Silent Cartographer beginning, The Ark's big battles, anytime in Halo 2 when you got some backup (Halo 2 has least helper Marines, i think, but then its enemy encounters are also small, presumably memory limitations. Never bothered me though).

I agree with this sentiment. It was exciting to be a part of a battle and become the dominating force.

He can find a downed Hawk and go to down on Forerunner scoundrels, or alternatively use Covenant/Forerunner vehicles while Locke gets to use the Hog/UNSC stuff. There could still be a scenario where you get the large warfare UNSC battle on top of a game designed like this, just saying. This is only limited by 343's creativity.
Adding a new character is so not the same thing as replacing chief.
Thank you. Now can we all stop saying this is the end of one of gaming's most iconic characters? mah baby jesus..

Also, you were quoted in the latest Mandatory Update (~8:02). LOL

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Do spartan suits have an AC in them?

There's something in there that prevents them from burning up during atmospheric re-entry. I think it's like a supercharged AC wall unit or something. Probably an armor ability.

rrc1594

Chafing Cream and Baby Powder

And a layer of thermogel or something to cool them

There's something in there that prevents them from burning up during atmospheric re-entry. I think it's like a supercharged AC wall unit or something. Probably an armor ability.

If I'm remembering right, the gel layer in the suits that help dampen impacts doubles as an insulator, thermally regulating the suit overall to something resembling room temperature.

Thx.

GUYS GUYS GUYS I found a leaked summary of Halo 5:

Master Chief, along with the remaining Spartan-IIs, are hiding out on Venezia, the black market planet introduced in Karen Traviss' award winning novel, Mortal Dictata.

Locke, tasked with finding him by the UNSC, arrives on the planet and links up with the local UNSC law enforcement. Most of which is full of corrupt insurrectionists and therefor cannot be trusted. But Locke meets up with an attractive female agent, Elena, who has a strong sense of justice after her husband was killed by the local Insurrectionist cartel.

Chief, who is not playable for most of the game, is featured in occasional cinematics and brief moments of gameplay, to show what is going on with him and his group. Kelly, who is actually John's long-lost sister, is pregnant with Fred's child. Chief, still stricken with grief after Cortana's death, vows to give everything he can to Fred, Kelly, and their new baby.

Locke tracks Chief and his group to a seemingly abandoned warehouse and breaks in. Chief, Fred, Kelly, and Linda break out and go on the run. Locke's female friend Elena corners Chief and holds him at gun point, but the local Insurrectionist cartel ambushes them and nearly kills both, but Chief gallantly saves her. He accidentally leaves behind his little Cortana necklace thing. Chief and the others get away.

Locke continues his quest to bring Chief down and nearly captures him, at a local gathering, but instead gets surrounded by a massive group of insurrectionist rebels armed to the teeth. "This is Venezia!" Chief shouts dramatically with his hands in the air and the crowd around him. Locke and his assembled Spartan-IV crew leave together, frustrated at their situation.

Chief and his group make a plan to break into UNSC headquarters, steal some vital thing, and then leave. Locke figures the plan out and tracks them down, and a large fight occurs. Locke captures the entire Spartan-II group and you embark on a driving mission to a secure location.

But the local Insurrectionist population launches an assault and kills all of Locke's crew, outside of Elena and Locke, and Linda dies. Locke wants revenge for the deaths of his comrades and turns to Chief, telling him they need to work together to bring down the local corrupt UNSC government + Insurrectionists. Locke agrees to help Chief break into the UNSC station and steal the security pass that will get them through the trade blockade in low orbit.

They break into the facility and Chief and Fred hook up the large UNSC vault to their stolen Pelican dropships via long chains and pull the vault out of its housing. A long, arduous chase ensues across the entire planet. They manage to take down the leader of the Insurrectionist cartel, and Locke turns against Chief. He tells Chief that he cannot let him take the security pass, but he will allow Chief a 24 hour head start to get out of there. Chief and Fred leave.

Locke goes to the vault with his friend and opens it...to reveal it is empty.

A flashback shows that in the chase, Chief and Fred pulled a switcheroo and put their stolen vault in an Elephant, then take a decoy vault away to trick everyone. Locke just smiles. Upbeat music starts to play as montage begins.

Chief goes back to the warehouse and there, Kelly cracks open the vault and reveals the security pass. They can leave the planet. They leave safely.

Roll credits.

Post credits scene: Locke is sitting at his desk at UNSC headquarters and Palmer walks in, drops a folder on the table. "There was a convoy attacked near Reach." she says. Locke asks why should he care. Palmer opens the folder and inside is a picture of...Cortana alive and well. And part of the crew that attacked the convoy.

CLIFFHANGER

akgwvnq_460sa_v13doft.gif

GUYS COULD YOU IMAGINE

ElRenoRaven

Halo 5 campaign already down on hype for me after this news :(

Not because I don't like Locke(hell i don't know him) but so far 343was terrible with new characters and a 2 character driven story is not easy to pull of in Halo ajd to keep it interesting.

Also I don't want to play a fucking S4 scrub.
Blue Team or bust. Why wouldn't ONI send the better S2s after Chief.

Dammit 343. Also "abilities" makes me reaaally worried

Yea I'm with you. My hype for 5 is at a 1/10 now. I'll still wait and see though.

Top Bottom