• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Cortana going to be recast with Michelle Rodriguez.

This plot line is getting intense.

Because that's the exact same plot of Fast Five.

Whaaaaaat?

Nuh uh

Alright, well here is the leaked plot of Halo 6:

Locke tracks down a new crew of bad guys to some remote part of the galaxy, who are attacking convoys and stealing mysterious things from them. He knows that the Ur-Didact is in charge of them, and is running a crew of super-galactic cons.

Locke approaches Chief at his island getaway and finds Chief living with his former Venezian partner, Elena. He asks Chief to help him out and take down Didact and in return the UNSC will allow him and the other Spartan-IIs to return to Earth. Together, they track down the Didact and figure out that he is taking vital components to building a new Halo, and the Didact plans to sell it to the highest bidder...

That's all that's leaked so far but, like all the celebrity leaks lately, more of it will come I'm sure. Hopefully it sounds as good as the others so far.

EDIT: OH SHIT THE ENDING TO HALO 6 JUST LEAKED

Post credits scene: Lasky drives a Pelican from one part of some upscale city to another, running from some random Insurrectionist bad guy. As he flies around one building, a stolen Covenant banshee slams into his Pelican and falls to the ground. Lasky struggles to get out of the Pelican in time, but it explodes - killing him.

Camera pans up and the Iso-Didact is revealed. He pulls out a cell phone and speaks, "Master Chief. You don't know me. You're about to."

BLACK SCREEN

HOOOOOOOOOOOLY SHIT

AlStrong

IRdKtHH.gif

Yea I'm with you. My hype for 5 is at a 1/10 now. I'll still wait and see though.

Would you stop getting your panties in a wad. They have stated over and over that the new "spartan abilities" is not even remotely an "armor ability." Stinkles even said on this very forum that they are akin to when Halo 2 added the ability to hijack vehicles.

Would you stop getting your panties in a wad. They have stated over and over that the new "spartan abilities" is not even remotely an "armor ability." Stinkles even said on this very forum that they are akin to when Halo 2 added the ability to hijack vehicles.

take everything at face value and you will get called a shill, since you seem to be new here. we are critical of this franchise because we love it, its not getting panties in wads, all you are doing is repeating what frankie said verbatim not really adding anything to the discussion at hand.

stop being parrot and be a thinking individual

ElRenoRaven

take everything at face value and you will get called a shill, since you seem to be new here. we are critical of this franchise because we love it, its not getting panties in wads, all you are doing is repeating what frankie said verbatim not really adding anything to the discussion at hand.

Meh just let him parrot. They're easy to ignore and I'm not talking the list either. I just tend to zone them out.

Would be neat to hijack Hunters, steer them around a bit like some of the mini-bosses in the Arkham series.

You should have to knock off the armor on their back first and then dig your hands into their flesh, steering them by putting pressure on certain nerves.

-Ryn

Banned
GUYS GUYS GUYS I found a leaked summary of Halo 5:

GUYS COULD YOU IMAGINE
Chief will raise the child

Its like taking Falcon to be the new capitain america and the human torch being black for the sake of diversity.
I hate change for the sake of change.
A diverse cast is fantastic and there's been a lot of progress in games having different leads but characters like Palmer are an awful example of it. DC and Marvel have been doing some interesting stuff with their universes though.

Here's hoping Locke is a great addition to the Haloverse.

All I know if Zombies can't hold weapons in H5 I'm raging.
Ad3TWs6.gif

Would be neat to hijack Hunters, steer them around a bit like some of the mini-bosses in the Arkham series.
You should have to knock off the armor on their back first and then dig your hands into their flesh, steering them by putting pressure on certain nerves.
What could've been

Cow

So seems to me that spartan abilities are situational armour abilities that everyone has all the time now. I'll wait and see on these, but I like my Halo multiplayer simple so I'm not too optimistic about them.

I'll be using the beta and 343's response to the beta to decide whether I'm getting Halo 5 or not. Still have Halo 1-3 and H2A to play on live for the next ~10 years, so I'm set.

Madness

I still don't understand the objective of Flood. Was it to stay alive till the end, was it to kill as many flood etc. It didn't help that it was random who became a flood to start and who didn't. In the end, you could have the longest surviving time and still not win because some guy capped 6 flood before being infected, or you could kill ten flood, but lose because you didn't jump and hide with camo in some obscure part of Complex etc.

Here's hoping they change it a bit for H5. Additionally, ever since someone mentioned, it I've kind of wanted a Predator mode. Imagine if you have a ton of armor, a Spartan Laser/Binary rifle, and an energy sword, and your vision is only promethean vision(can only pulse it in intervals to see through walls), plus you have active camo. The others can try and take you down, but it's very tough and their goal is to basically just survive and "get to the pelican" which will arrive near the end.

haha so repeating official information and not freaking out about unknowns is not being a thinking individual? How can you give feedback or criticize what is not currently known?

Good one. You are a funny man.

Granadier

I just want to drive a Warthog again. Is that so much to ask?

ekRDpum.gif

Warthog Driver Simulator 2014 would sell like hotcakes.

--------

Also, the ending of Halo 5 will just be this scene...

q19B9.gif

...with Locke and John.

ElRenoRaven

I just want to drive a Warthog again. Is that so much to ask?

ekRDpum.gif

Warthog Driver Simulator 2014 would sell like hotcakes.

--------

Also, the ending of Halo 5 will just be this scene...

q19B9.gif

...with Locke and John.

See you missed the ending there though. Once they do that Locke then pulls a pistol out and shoots John in the head.

Random17

The news about Locke is incredibly interesting, far more so than the news about Halo 5's MP so far.

Halo 4's lore, while combined with the EU, was a good effort, most of the fanbase did not appreciate it because they had no idea what was going on due to the extended reading that was required to understand the campaign, which unfortunately was not self sufficient.

Now this is an even bigger risk on 343i part. People didn't like playing the Arbiter, and as a result the Arbiter missions in Halo 3 were removed for a Master Chief only game. The fanbase* wanted to play as the Chief in the numbered Halo games.

In my opinion?
Screw the "fanbase".
The rechargeable and actually useful active camo ability the Arbiter got in Halo 2 is something I still miss in Halo to this day.

The Arbiter missions had their downsides but also had their brilliant moments. It was a huge bonus to Halo's lore and frankly we have not seen anything in the games since. Halo 3's campaign, especially when we were on Earth, couldn't even come close. It's telling that most of the story in that game is concentrated in the latter half, because it felt like the first half was to shut people up about the lack of Earth based MC missions in Halo 2.

Make no mistake, this can go really well or really badly. I don't see a middle ground. Locke could present an interesting twist with proper stealth tactics, which can be very fun if applied correctly. Stealthing through entire missions as the Arbiter in Halo 2 is something we have yet to see in any other Halo game thus far. And it is incredibly fun, especially on higher difficulties where the risks of being seen are increased tenfold.

Of course, you could always shoot your way out and mix things up a little, but approaching a set piece encounter with multiple ways to defeat the enemies is something always appreciated. That's why the big sections in Halo 3 were fun to play in; you could take on the Scarabs in multiple ways. And from a gameplay perspective, this is where Halo 4 lacked. Lack of ingame set pieces or the ability to approach encounters in multiple and actually fun to use ways. No, using different weapons does not count.

So my take? Bring it on. Just do it right.

Granadier

See you missed the ending there though. Once they do that Locke then pulls a pistol out and shoots John in the head.

Locke gasps

The 40mm bullet from his M6 magnum impacted John's skull directly between the eyes. It should have killed him. It should have entered his cranium and turned his brain to mush while blowing the back of his skull out. But it didn't. He couldn't believe his eyes.

What Locke forgot though was that John is a Spartan. He's not a normal human being. His bones have been augmented and coated with ceramic carbide. Strong enough to stop bullets apparently. He should have thought this through more. Of course John wouldn't let his guard down like that without knowing he was safe.

Locke's jaw fell open as the crushed bullet fell. It all was playing in slow motion through his eyes. The bullet looked as if he had shot a solid steel plate. Beyond that though, Locke didn't have much time to think about anything else. John was lightning fast, and Locke didn't stand a chance.

The fist came first. Even without John's suit, his fist still hit like a freight truck. Locke could feel his cheek bones shatter and John's fist brutalized his face. He felt his jaw break in three places and watched as his teeth left his broken mouth in a shower of blood. Before he had even blacked out from the pain, John's other fist was into his opposite side, breaking his ribs, splitting open his internal organs, and causing god knows what other damage internally.

Locke couldn't breath. He was losing consciousness, and he knew he was on the road to death. Why had he attacked John so close? Why did he take this damn job in the first place? What will his family do when they hear he's died. Thoughts raced through his head as the pain faded away. He dropped to his hands and knees, then collapsed into a pool of his own blood as his vision blacked out entirely. The last thing he sees is the crushed bullet dropping to the floor into his blood.

"Nice try." said John. And Locke was gone.

The news about Locke is incredibly interesting, far more so than the news about Halo 5's MP so far.

Halo 4's lore, while combined with the EU, was a good effort, most of the fanbase did not appreciate it because they had no idea what was going on due to the extended reading that was required to understand the campaign, which unfortunately was not self sufficient.

Now this is an even bigger risk on 343i part. People didn't like playing the Arbiter, and as a result the Arbiter missions in Halo 3 were removed for a Master Chief only game. The fanbase* wanted to play as the Chief in the numbered Halo games.

In my opinion?
Screw the "fanbase".
The rechargeable and actually useful active camo ability the Arbiter got in Halo 2 is something I still miss in Halo to this day.

The Arbiter missions had their downsides but also had their brilliant moments. It was a huge bonus to Halo's lore and frankly we have not seen anything in the games since. Halo 3's campaign, especially when we were on Earth, couldn't even come close. It's telling that most of the story in that game is concentrated in the latter half, because it felt like the first half was to shut people up about the lack of Earth based MC missions in Halo 2.

Make no mistake, this can go really well or really badly. I don't see a middle ground. Locke could present an interesting twist with proper stealth tactics, which can be very fun if applied correctly. Stealthing through entire missions as the Arbiter in Halo 2 is something we have yet to see in any other Halo game thus far. And it is incredibly fun, especially on higher difficulties where the risks of being seen are increased tenfold.

Of course, you could always shoot your way out and mix things up a little, but approaching a set piece encounter with multiple ways to defeat the enemies is something always appreciated. That's why the big sections in Halo 3 were fun to play in; you could take on the Scarabs in multiple ways. And from a gameplay perspective, this is where Halo 4 lacked. Lack of ingame set pieces or the ability to approach encounters in multiple and actually fun to use ways. No, using different weapons does not count.

My man.

Change can be great or horrible. All depends on execution.

In my opinion?
Screw the "fanbase".

The point about camo is spot on. I think the "fanbase" as a whole seems to be very much in favor of the Arbiter's return. Seems like after Halo 3 rolled around people started complaining that the Arbiter was nothing more than a co-op skin. The grass is always greener for the Halo community. It's only natural I suppose.

Having Locke be able to do unique and fun things in the campaign sounds like a great way to distinguish his missions and provide an element of freshness to the game.

I agree--bring it on :)

Random17

As long as camo stays out of MP as an ability I'm fine, bring it back as a map pick up

I'm a bit more radical in that regard; 343i should not limit campaign gameplay to multiplayer limitations.

Bring back the jetpack, camo etc into the Campaign, because it only adds onto the experience IMO. Armor lock is the exception as it makes every splatter a coin toss.

Hell, they could take it a step further with weapon/vehicle customization in big sandbox battles, but that sounds like too much work and possibly too risky for a campaign only instrument.

Oh, and it would be cool if there was a "lore" difficulty where weapon damage accurately reflected the lore of the series.

In my opinion?
Screw the "fanbase".

I'm with you on this, bring it on indeed but please give the Chief plenty of game time. At first I hated being forced to play Arby but then I grew to really enjoy those missions and the stealth approach; even by the second play through. The Arby missions reminded me of some of the CE levels you could stealth basically the whole mission. The Arby missions really opened up the story as well. Always a fan of having options when you play/replay Halo campaign.

-Ryn

Banned
Any info on what Global Battle would have been?
Video with extra footage

Interestingly it seems that at some point in Reach you were actually able to see passenger health. Too bad...
Holy shit the forklift was able to LIFT

So Global Battles.
I haven't been able to find anything aside from that footage on the subject but from what I can tell it would've probably worked as a scripted sequence of battles all occurring at the same time or very closely together across a HUGE area.

There would probably be multiple objectives that you could take on in any order (sort of like the level "Halo" in CE) and I'd imagine that which order you approached them in might affect how the rest of the level plays out. Maybe one of the objectives slightly changing or you have less support in another area. Naturally I have NO idea whether that last idea was true though.

I think this would've been a really cool thing to explore too. It's a shame so much content got cut. This seems like something that would've been taken out due to either time constraints or the hardware just not being able to work on such a massive scale. Either way though I hope we see something along the lines of this in future Halos. The "Tip of the Spear" mission in Reach still makes me sad because of how it looked like we were going to play in some HUGE battle only to ride off to the side for more self contained firefights.

Scarab battles also NEED to come back. Halo 3 had the most badass fights and that was such a tease in Reach when you just rode right past them.

Random17

I'm with you on this, bring it on indeed but please give the Chief plenty of game time. At first I hated being forced to play Arby but then I grew to really enjoy those missions and the stealth approach; even by the second play through. The Arby missions reminded me of some of the CE levels you could stealth basically the whole mission. The Arby missions really opened up the story as well. Always a fan of having options when you play/replay Halo campaign.

I agree with you.

One thing to take away though is that the game seems to be focused on the Chief. Even when you don't play the Chief, he is still the primary target. That's a plus, but it can still go wrong:

Let's note that a somewhat similar situation arose with Cortana in Halo 3, although to a much greater extent. She was shoehorned for most of the Campaign and only appeared in those annoying Cortana moments. That's really what 343i need to avoid.

There are multiple ways to approach this:

->Make Halo 5 longer than 6 hours while remaining interesting at the same time.
->Give Locke less than 50% of the playtime. I doubt this will happen.
->Make the Chief missions exceptionally long and fun to play in. The danger of this is that one character may end up as stale in comparison to the other.

The more I think about this decision, the more worrying it becomes. This is going to be very hard to pull off.

Mix

"The Xbox one is a person's God-given right"
-Something Speedy actually said while playing Destiny tonight. Also, he really is a piece of shit

I agree with you.

One thing to take away though is that the game seems to be focused on the Chief. Even when you don't play the Chief, he is still the primary target. That's a plus, but it can still go wrong:

Let's note that a somewhat similar situation arose with Cortana in Halo 3, although to a much greater extent. She was shoehorned for most of the Campaign and only appeared in those annoying Cortana moments. That's really what 343i need to avoid.

There are multiple ways to approach this:

->Make Halo 5 longer than 6 hours while remaining interesting at the same time.
->Give Locke less than 50% of the playtime. I doubt this will happen.
->Make the Chief missions exceptionally long and fun to play in. The danger of this is that one character may end up as stale in comparison to the other.

The more I think about this decision, the more worrying it becomes. This is going to be very hard to pull off.

It's one of those things I simultaneously love AND hate developers taking on.

EDIT: For -Ryn...
Top O' page 343

images

Heretic

Adding a new character is so not the same thing as replacing chief.

Lol oh Frankie you sneaky one you. When Locke replaces Chief in Halo 5 people are going to point to this quote and you're going to say "Every thing in that quote was correct" similar to what you said about H2A not being in dev.

;)

Top Bottom