• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

More shoddy comparisons. Just for kicks:

Outskirts 1
(Classic)
AdWHOmY.jpg

(New)
uTa8Ht0.jpg

Outskirts 2
(Classic)
OMX9HzM.jpg

(New)
8lWKpYY.jpg

I'm alone in this, but the Grunt Birthday Skull is just the best damn thing

Yea i like how they look compared to Halo 3's,seems more colorful and bright. [ Reminds me of Christmas ] I also like the sounds for the weapons such as the plasma pistol and the look of the sniper rifle. It looks better than the designs from Halo 4. I hope that carries over to Halo 5.

That reminds me, is campaign scoring a thing for Halo 2? I'm serious when I say that and the GBP seriously added to my enjoyment of Reach on a recent playthrough

All this hoopla over a few pixels when the real issue is if there's an controller input delay whilst playing in the new coat. I never thought I'd be excited to play Halo 2's campaign again but that latest video has it looking real pretty. It would be a crashing shame, then, if the experience was hampered by that oh so small but oh so noticeable input dawdle. CEA, certainly on Legendary, was frustrated by it and I ended up reverting to the original graphics for the majority of my playtime.

It all looksvery good now though. Glad they stuck the Hornet in H2A. Halo 4 looked very sharp. looking froward to more multiplayer footage.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone want to try out Iron Banner in Destiny with me? I'm gonna hop on in a few minutes. It'll probably be a cluster fuck, but at least we can cry together.

Omni

Hmmm. Coag looked better in that video. Less washed out. I think I'm okay with it. Not as colourful as I'd have liked, but also not as bad as I thought

Sephzilla

Hmmm. Coag looked better in that video. Less washed out. I think I'm okay with it. Not as colourful as I'd have liked, but also not as bad as I thought

I agree, it honestly looked a little better in motion. I think the most basic simple fix would be to add some green to the ground though, all of that brown is just depressing.

You know...now that I think about it, even if we don't like some of the original color balances for the game, we can always change our TV color preferences. On my Panasonic Plasma I can adjust color balances just as effectively as you can do with paint, add sharpness to reduce blurry post processing effects etc.

I'm going to aim to make it look more like my GIF below. More clean and less yellow:
0TBufO5.gif

I don't think you are going to be able to remove in-game blurring effects with the sharpness setting on your TV.

You would be surprised. I was playing The Last of Us: Remastered on the Sony Box and it had a lot of blurriness to the original image. After some tinkering, adjusting black/white levels, putting it on "game mode" and adjusting sharpness etc I was able to get a much more natural and clean looking game.

Sure, it won't "remove in-game blurring effects", but it sure as heck removes much of the eye sore IMHO.

"Fix in-game image quality issues with the sharpness settings on your TV" is some JC-answers-Q&A-for-frankie levels of fuckery.

=/

No one is suggesting it fixes it. It helps. What I did to the Shrine GIF above is what I can do with simple settings on a TV. Maybe I'm blessed with a more customizable TV. Plasmas are known for rich colors, deep blacks, and good features.

jelly

Nice footage. Looks so smooth.

Is there something 343 do with colours/filters that is important because it seems to be wrong everytime I see new stuff.

Also, I know you like to push graphics but it's kitchen sink additions and worse for it. Busy, messy and doesn't look like your factoring in game play beyond map layout.

Nice footage. Looks so smooth.

Is there something 343 do with colours/filters that is important because it seems to be wrong everytime I see new stuff.

Also, I know you like to push graphics but it's kitchen sink additions and worse for it. Busy, messy and doesn't look like your factoring in game play beyond map layout.

Even though design should always trump art design, 343 is being smart about it for the most part. Being a AAA developer they are expected to look great. Also, as far as E-Sports go, typically a game won't get very far if it doesn't look good. Sure, there are exceptions to the rule, but it's far easier getting a larger audience for your game if its super fun to look at. Great graphics and art design are a must.

Honestly though, point to me where their art design has destroyed gameplay elements. I can't really think of one.

The only example is that in Halo CE:A the new map geometry didn't match the old to it's detriment. Sometimes I would try to shoot around an object, like a tree for example, and the bullet would collide with the old geometry even though I could clearly see my thirsty grunt target.

dwells

crisp resolution of 1328x1080

How is a resolution which is neither panel-native or even scaling ratio friendly "crisp?" That's less than 70% of 1080p.

I don't understand why 1280x1080 wasn't used instead. It's a more common resolution for horizontal scaling, as it does a perfect 3:2 scale up to 1920. The 1328 horizontal resolution does not scale as nicely, meaning an overall detriment to image quality.

The only reason I can think of for not using 1280 instead would be politics, in that MS wasn't happy with the number 1280 since it's associated with 720p, which they're so desperately trying to avoid. Much like how Titanfally ran at a pointless 792p resolution instead of being lowered to 720p and helping fix the framerate.

How is a resolution which is neither panel-native or even scaling ratio friendly "crisp?" That's less than 70% of 1080p.

I don't understand why 1280x1080 wasn't used instead. It's a more common resolution for horizontal scaling, as it does a perfect 3:2 scale up to 1920. The 1328 horizontal resolution does not scale as nicely, meaning an overall detriment to image quality.

The only reason I can think of for not using 1280 instead would be politics, in that MS wasn't happy with the number 1280 since it's associated with 720p, which they're so desperately trying to avoid. Much like how Titanfally ran at a pointless 792p resolution instead of being lowered to 720p and helping fix the framerate.

I'm no expert, but I think 792p is specifically getting such common usage on the XBO because it fits exactly into a given memory allocation space or something to that effect.

dwells

I'm no expert, but I think 792p is specifically getting such common usage on the XBO because it fits exactly into a given memory allocation space or something to that effect.

Perhaps, but it's sheer politics to leave Titanfall, a game with major tearing and framerate issues, at 792p instead of dropping it down to 720p and gaining performance.

Perhaps, but it's sheer politics to leave Titanfall, a game with major tearing and framerate issues, at 792p instead of dropping it down to 720p and gaining performance.

Titanfall is another issue mate. There is a reason why Counter-Strike and other Source engine related games can't render distances very well. In fact, Insurgency (another Source based game) has to render a lot of fog in the distance to mask the lack of draw distance. Titanfall failed to perform as well because pushing their modified Source engine like that isn't very fruitful. The game wasn't even that great looking to be honest, but was decent.

Promethean identification is probably the best example.

You mean the see-through wall vision or how promethean's looked in general? Either way, I don't really follow.

TheOddOne

You can't seriously think this, right? Take a step back and just think about that for second.

It’s not too uncommon to see such a resolution, for example Saber’s H1 remake was 780p. My guess is that they tried to push it as far as they could, and outweighing it with keeping the frame rate stable and having the option to switch modes on the fly.

dwells

You can't seriously think this, right? Take a step back and just think about that for second.

It’s not too uncommon to see such a resolution, for example Saber’s H1 remake was 780p. My guess is that they tried to push it as far as they could, and outweighing it with keeping the frame rate stable and having the option to switch modes on the fly.

What's so preposterous about it? 1280x1080 takes less horsepower to render than 1328x1080 and can result in better image quality because of the scaling ratio. Why wouldn't you use a better looking, better running resolution if not for political roadblocks?

Halo Anniversary was 1152x648, not 780p. In that case it was lower than 720p because it was a necessary performance sacrifice. This case is different, because the game is actually running slightly above a better resolution.

Titanfall is another issue mate. There is a reason why Counter-Strike and other Source engine related games can't render distances very well. In fact, Insurgency (another Source based game) has to render a lot of fog in the distance to mask the lack of draw distance. Titanfall failed to perform as well because pushing their modified Source engine like that isn't very fruitful. The game wasn't even that great looking to be honest, but was decent.

I'm aware Titanfall's performance is a different issue, but I'm citing it as another possible example where internal politics got in the way of a better, but lower, resolution. Cutting the resolution down from 792p to 720p would've resulted in a slight performance bump (which the game desperately needed) and could've done so with no hit (possibly an improvement instead) to image quality. Digital Foundry noted the same thing in their analysis. 1280x720 got an ugly stigma attached to it around the beginning of this generation when things first blew up, so it seems that those numbers are no longer kosher for titles, at least not high-profile ones.

Wow neat! More options the better! I for one like to go hardcore and take off certain HUD elements. It was great fun to play the Last of Us on the PS4 and take off the crosshair to make it more challenging. Hope I can do that too.

Stinkles...as far as options go, is there going to be some sort of custom game browser? We basically get that with Xbox Connect, so I don't see why this wouldn't be possible (besides hosting issues).

Thanks,

alright, campaign scoring! I seriously love that shit. Like, throwing a grenade, hiding behind a rock when your head is low, then seeing the double/triple kill/sticky grenade icon pop up with some points in the right hand corner letting me know they're dead.

Although I'm not too hot on the Halo 4 style medal system where EVERYTHING gave you something. Especially if they got that boring, uniform grey and blue color scheme thing

That Covenant Carbine is placeholder right? The green parts on it look really low resolution
wh5LhZj.png

Other than that, good stuff 343 and Frankie, keep it up!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Campaign scoring is awesome news. It gives me way more incentive to replay the campaigns.

TheOddOne

What's so preposterous about it? 1280x1080 takes less horsepower to render than 1328x1080 and can result in better image quality because of the scaling ratio. Why wouldn't you use a better looking, better running resolution if not for political roadblocks?

Halo Anniversary was 1152x648, not 780p. In that case it was lower than 720p because it was a necessary performance sacrifice. This case is different, because the game is actually running slightly above a better resolution.
This assumes that it looks like garbage now doesn't it? Isn't that premature to say the least? It’s so far-fetched to directly go blaming suits that go “Oh, people on the internet are going to complain about this so make this a high of resolution as possible.” Without going to the obvious, they could not get it to full 1080p, so they made some compromises because of the switching and framerate. Frankie even admitted if the switching was not in place they could have increased the resolution.

If your theory about “internal politics” was so sound, why didn’t they just lower everything in the package to that weird resolution across the board so that doesn’t stick out? They went above and beyond on all the other stuff, but could not get that H2A campaign up to par. You can’t seriously bring that argument to the table.

You’re right about H:CE resolution. My bad.

alright, campaign scoring! I seriously love that shit. Like, throwing a grenade, hiding behind a rock when your head is low, then seeing the double/triple kill/sticky grenade icon pop up with some points in the right hand corner letting me know they're dead.

Although I'm not too hot on the Halo 4 style medal system where EVERYTHING gave you something. Especially if they got that boring, uniform grey and blue color scheme thing

Campaign Scoring are the best hitmarkers.

-Ryn

Banned
For most things, and for most people? Not really. For spec-obsessed internet people? What do you think...
I suppose everyone has their weird anal corners.

Great news! Love that stuff.

Weirdly the only achievements I haven't finished for Halo 3 are some scoring ones and 1 or 2 multiplayer (DLC based naturally). I'll have to do those.

Fuchsdh

For me it worked in the context of the postgame lobby where I liked how it broke down different kills with power weapons from other kills, etc, but I agree that it adds clutter and dilutes the impact of more important, harder-to-earn medals to have them pop up in game as well.

m23

Still haven't seen the new video :(

Why do I have to be stuck at work whenever cool stuff is shown...

Great news that Halo 1 and 2 will have campaign scoring. Did Halo 4 have it as well? Can't remember.

-Ryn

Banned
For me it worked in the context of the postgame lobby where I liked how it broke down different kills with power weapons from other kills, etc, but I agree that it adds clutter and dilutes the impact of more important, harder-to-earn medals to have them pop up in game as well.
I just didn't understand why they were so tiny. Felt like I was winning a bunch of crumbs.

Fuck resolutions man. I just want to play some damn Halo.
Truth

Top Bottom