• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Mix

Honestly, 343 had really outdone anything that I could've expected from them. The efforts they're putting into this one SIXTY DOLLAR game is unreal. Props to them and I cannot wait to get it in my hands.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, 343 had really outdone anything that I could've expected from them. The efforts they're putting into this one SIXTY DOLLAR game is unreal. Props to them and I cannot wait to get it in my hands.
Best deal since Super Mario All-Stars.

-Ryn

Banned
It is literally the best deal I have ever seen. I can't think of any other game or bundle that matches it (Steam doesn't count). I still remember when they announced it and I was dancing. As was most of HaloGaf I'm sure.

gAg CruSh3r

I don't understand why people would even freak out or anything about H2A campaign resolution. 343 has out done then self with the MCC. I am so excited for this game. The game looks very nice, clean, and runs buttery smooth. November 11th can't come in any sooner.

Also hornet > falcon
and bloodline need some color to it. It looks s little dead to me. :)...

While the Hornet looks awesome in H2A, there's something special that the Falcon provides that the Hornet can't: that feeling of the Warthog of the sky.

Hoping it returns for Halo 5 BTB on maps the size of Halo PC's maps.

HTupolev

Weinland.gif
P2JZ51C.png

gAg CruSh3r

While the Hornet looks awesome in H2A, there's something special that the Falcon provides that the Hornet can't: that feeling of the Warthog of the sky.

Hoping it returns for Halo 5 BTB on maps the size of Halo PC's maps.

Whynotboth.gif

It would be really awesome to see big air battles.

Also I would like to see bigger set of people for BTB 16v16 or 12v12 with AIs. Is that to much or would you think this would be awesome? Invasion 2.0?
I like BTB. Don't get me wrong, I love area gameplay as well too.

Maybe for Halo ODST 2?

Fuchsdh

Halo: The Master Chief Collection |OT| Everything is 1080p&60fps*

btw, when are they gonna show the menu and all the options off.

Everything is 1080p. That just refers to vertical lines of resolution and field order. Halo 2 Anniversary is progressive scan and has 1080 vertical lines. It might be against the spirit of the law, but it fits the letter.

HTupolev

5 games before it had it.
Five games? H2, H3, ODST, Reach, and what else?

(At any rate, I was being sarcastic.)

Everything is 1080p. That just refers to vertical lines of resolution and field order. Halo 2 Anniversary is progressive scan and has 1080 vertical lines. It might be against the spirit of the law, but it fits the letter.
Sort of. "1080 lines progressive" is the etymology behind 1080p, but it's usually taken to mean 1920x1080 progressive. Now that we use discrete pixels rather than classical analog lines, we can do that.

Really depends on who you ask, there's not very solid consensus as to what "1080p" means. And it's highly contextual.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Lol I would never say that tho. Anyway folks can make up their minds based on actual experience. I'm a fan of art and fidelity. There are thousands of ways to achieve that. Anyone who quotes this out of context is worse than Satan.

Fuchsdh

Lol I would never say that tho. Anyway folks can make up their minds based on actual experience. I'm a fan of art and fidelity. There are thousands of ways to achieve that. Anyone who quotes this out of context is worse than Satan.

Deep down, you must have wanted to at one point or another. :p

HTupolev

In the future, describe your framebuffers in terms of the amount of information they can store.

In qubits.

The p doesn't necessarily bother me that much [I do value the framerate more], but it'd be too hard to judge without a good solid 5-10 minutes of video, if not longer.
Have to judge the visual package as a whole.
Another fighter enters the arena looking to claim the title of Stretch Armstrong.

Madness

Eh, I've never really cared about the numbers deep down. My only problem was that they weren't getting the best image possible because of the instant switching feature that was rumored.

I still consider it a niche feature, and will assume it won't get much use past the first run through of the campaign. But the resolution is impacted forever because of it.

I would have been fine even if they didn't have the delayed switching of CEA and instead you had to choose classic settings from the menu before you played. I've played through the campaign easily over ten times, I'm looking at my copy of Halo 2 as I type this, I am more excited to see the visuals of H2A than running through the campaign again which I liked less than CE, 3, even Reach.

But I can understand why. There will be a whole new generation of gamers playing this now, kids especially will love the instant switching, and it's a good way to market or show off differences in a remake. Not entirely a big deal overall.

So, it's still in an extremely prototypical state with regards to actual content, but I just thought I'd let you guys know that my site Gravity Gauntlet is actually up and running now! For clarity's sake, Gravity Gauntlet is actually the name of the informal development team, contributors permitting. I'm trying to crank things into high gear to start developing a legitimate portfolio and get the Livechamber pages full of content. On top of that, it's also going to serve as the home for Reclaimer Radio, which has its own page here.

Random17

Now I'm curious as to why the resolution was dropped beyond the reasoning given.

Just like any other game, there are sections which are probably relatively easy to render, e.g. Cairo Station, while there are sections which are a bit more difficult, e.g. Quarantine Zone.

I have a feeling that the game could have been 1080p 60FPS for most of the game, but a few relatively large sections, e.g. QZ or Metropolis would have dragged the whole thing down.

This is based off the existing lag Halo 2 experiences while playing on the Xbox 360. These missions were also not shown in great detail in the preview. I have a feeling the Great Journey may also be one of those missions where keeping a stable framerate became problematic.

Really, it seems to be based on the missions which have the largest surface area of textures which need to be drawn. I'd imagine drawing all those buildings in Metropolis was also quite problematic.

/Speculation.

Edit: I must state my excitement for Halo 4 apparently looking like an Xbox One game. Am I the only one excited about this, even if it is disappointing to hear about the Halo 2A res news?

-Ryn

Banned
I'm still hoping that when the Falcon returns it'll have a seat inside that is able to carry a person. You could in campaign but not in multiplayer. I like to imagine aerial based objective games where you need to coordinate pickup and that kind of stuff. It'd be glorious. Though there would probably need to be a separate Falcon that didn't have that ability like how there was a second Hornet (that was a straight up replacement however) so that it could fulfill a transport role rather than just a flying warthog.

I can see it working well for 1 side objective games since the other team would be completely focused on defense. Falcons were also fairly easy to destroy.

The Falcon? You mean flying death trap? Reach's vehicle sandbox was BAD.
Revenant was pretty coo'.

So, it's still in an extremely prototypical state with regards to actual content, but I just thought I'd let you guys know that my site Gravity Gauntlet is actually up and running now! For clarity's sake, Gravity Gauntlet is actually the name of the informal development team, contributors permitting. I'm trying to crank things into high gear to start developing a legitimate portfolio and get the Livechamber pages full of content. On top of that, it's also going to serve as the home for Reclaimer Radio, which has its own page here.
Site looks good dude. Really look forward to what you've got in store.

Madness

Seeing the Hornet makes me wish we had more BTB maps. I get why Warlock was remade, but it's so underwhelming. Easily forgeable. Any new forge info out today?

That opening commentary on the IGN video is such a buzzkill

When they call the combat slow, claiming it doesn't keep up with today's modern shooters I died a little inside. I can't believe unbalanced ADS shooters are considered good.

Seeing the Hornet makes me wish we had more BTB maps. I get why Warlock was remade, but it's so underwhelming. Easily forgeable. Any new forge info out today?

Warlock is solid, I would have preferred Terminal/Containment/Relic/Waterworks over it though.

Madness

When they call the combat slow, claiming it doesn't keep up with today's modern shooters I died a little inside. I can't believe unbalanced ADS shooters are considered good.

Yeah I heard that too and cringed. Who the hell has been watching Halo 2 Anniversary tournaments featuring pros and thinking the combat is slow or not modern? Apparently crawling, going prone, or moving like a snail when aiming down sights is fast. But jumping while throwing grenades and shooting is slow.

I'm guessing the only reason they say slow is because it's not sprint, and doesn't have that quick ADS kill time.

NlEIliI.jpg

I gotta say though, reading the article you can practically taste the guy's love for the series. His description of the opening bits of CE was spot on.

-Ryn

Banned
Yeah I heard that too and cringed. Who the hell has been watching Halo 2 Anniversary tournaments featuring pros and thinking the combat is slow or not modern? Apparently crawling, going prone, or moving like a snail when aiming down sights is fast. But jumping while throwing grenades and shooting is slow.

I'm guessing the only reason they say slow is because it's not sprint, and doesn't have that quick ADS kill time.
I like to think that the overall populace isn't dumb enough to think that it's the case.

Whenever I play a game like Call of Duty I'm not thinking "fast paced fun that encapsulates the epitome of shooters". I'm thinking "Twitchy bullshit that has swallowed the FPS industry over the past decade". Not that I think one type is better than the other (I just enjoy one more). Over saturation sucks regardless of the type that's doing it.

The Falcon? You mean flying death trap? Reach's vehicle sandbox was BAD.

Honestly, the Falcon was dumb. There, I said it. It was like a less fun, easier to blow up version of the warthog that barely appeared on any maps and exploded almost immediately on the ones it did.

So, it's still in an extremely prototypical state with regards to actual content...

Uh, prototypical does not mean what I think you think it means.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

"I'm a fan of art and fidelity. There are thousands of ways to achieve that."
- Frankie

Top Bottom