• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

-Ryn

Banned
It's, like, the most dead mainstream language in existence.
It has fun words. Too bad.

I wonder which will be the Latin of the future: Mandarin or English?

tumblr_m4rocyT1XD1rn95k2o1_500.gif

My way makes it sound as hipster as it really is, tho.

By the, way, who in the Battlefield team thought it was a good idea to name a gun Accipiter? It really grinds my gears because I had already established some binary nomenclature with Accipiter in it. It doesn't roll off the tongue well in romanized or native Latin pronunciation! "Uh-sip-it-ur?" That's butt-ugly phonetically. Native Latin "ock-keep-eet-tear" (as in 'a tear in the fabric') isn't too great either. And, I mean, it's Latin for bird-of-prey. Just call it the Falconer or Auspringer or some bullshit.

FyreWulff

Defib? I remember unlocking it for BF4 but I'm not sure whether that has changed. It was one of the first unlocks.

Or maybe that was BF3. Or both. I need a break.

I remember having to spend forever unlocking my damn defib in one of the battlefields post BC2. It was really irritating that the -base function of your class- had to wait to be unlocked. If I want to be a medic, I don't want to spend hours playing offense and people complaining i'm not ressing them.

Turned me off battlefield from that point forward because it was such an obvious CoDization gone too far.

King Leo

Neo Member
I absolutely love the fact that we can toggle the medals in CE/2. It pleases both the purists and the uh.. non-purists? We need more of toggle. Usually it's just one thing or the other which results in many complaints. I wonder why 343 doesn't utilize it more often. Choices are gold.

Individual gun battles will still result in a player using ADS to get a kill to me most movement abilities is for traversing the map instead of being used in middle of combat , unless you are fighting someone wall running or double jumping. In COD AW I do see the use of abilities actually being used in a gun fight and a for traversing . ADS does slow down movement, but only when you are in a gunfight, and gunfights don't last very long like in Halo. I don't know many games that has ADS, high movement speed, and long kill times.

ADS can probably work if it's like the perk stalker in MW3 which gets rid of the movement penalty. Although ADS also increases the accuracy and not magnification/range like in Halo, unless you are using a scope. I think that would be qualitative.

It's from a fan made menu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMW1uSuivAo&feature=youtu.be

Staying still during gun battles is for scrubs. And while you don't see it in that video, battles with similarly skilled players can actually last quite a long time since it's bloody hard to hit them.

BUT, I would kill for that kind of speed and movement with Halo's pickup focused map design and longer kill times.

Booshka

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMW1uSuivAo&feature=youtu.be

Staying still during gun battles is for scrubs. And while you don't see it in that video, battles with similarly skilled players can actually last quite a long time since it's bloody hard to hit them.

BUT, I would kill for that kind of speed and movement with Halo's pickup focused map design and longer kill times.

That's called Quake 3

Unfortunately there is nothing really on consoles that gets close to it.

Beowulf28

There's no way 343 would put ADS in Halo right? Especially after all the big talk they've been doing for Halo 5 going back to Halo's roots.

Omni

There's no way 343 would put ADS in Halo right? Especially after all the big talk they've been doing for Halo 5 going back to Halo's roots.
I honestly think that they're going to implement a pseudo-ADS

Instead of the zoom feature like we've had in previous games it'll just display the ADS animation. It won't have any penalty to movement speed, nor will spread or anything be affected. But, it will tick that box that so many casual gamers and reviewers are looking for these days. A side effect of this could be that every weapon has some kind of scope or zoom

Going a traditional ADS route would spark a severe backlash and I think 343 knows better than that

Am I too old, or too new school for an old guy? I honestly can't really discern, qualitatively, between normal Halo zoom and ADS. Not that I can't tell the difference, more like it's the contrast between Forza and Ridge Racer, in that neither of them is "correct" but rather they are different ways of approaching a literal perspective?

Like bad NO ADS is worse than good YES ADS. Maybe I am overthinking it. Anyway, good hipfire is vital. TO ME.

I love you sir. Platonic, yet inflamed with passion. Keep up the good work and thanks for hanging with us.

Madness

I don't know. I have a weird feeling that they've definitely had discussions about doing it. Especially as they look to the future. ADS shooters are what's selling, ADS shooters are what journos talk about and Halo is considered old, slow, modern. Long time Halo fans have kind of moved on, with many HaloGAF members not interested in buying an Xbox One for MCC, so why wouldn't they just say eff it, we'll make Halo like other shooters like TitanFall, Battlefield, CoD and now Destiny. A lot of fans who hated Reach and 4 have no problem with Destiny or CoD, so who knows.

I'd probably never buy an ADS Halo, but I'm sure as a new generation of gamers grows up with sprint and ADS, my purchase will be replaced by someone else in the grand scheme of things.

Random17

But ADS isn't the reason why COD is "new" or "fast". It's the killtimes and the shallow learning curve. Sure, ADS contributes to long range fights being faster, but ultimately the most popular maps in COD are the smaller ones, e.g. Shipment, Rust, Nuketown, Dome etc.

You could create a fast Halo game with small maps and very quick kill times without going to ADS which would only make aiming more complicated, IMO.

Case in point; an infantry battle in Battlefield is considered slower than in COD because of the map size, slightly slower kill times and the relative difficulty in aiming at longer range targets. Both games use ADS.

IDK why but this subject keeps being brought up. I agree with the sentiment that we might see it soon, even sooner than we think.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I absolutely love the fact that we can toggle the medals in CE/2. It pleases both the purists and the uh.. non-purists? We need more
Of course.
toggle. Usually it's just one thing or the other which results in many complaints. I wonder why 343 doesn't utilize it more often. Choices are gold.

Of course. Don't however, make the mistake of thinking that is trivial to do.

FyreWulff

But ADS isn't the reason why COD is "new" or "fast". It's the killtimes and the shallow learning curve. Sure, ADS contributes to long range fights being faster, but ultimately the most popular maps in COD are the smaller ones, e.g. Shipment, Rust, Nuketown, Dome etc.

You could create a fast Halo game with small maps and very quick kill times without going to ADS which would only make aiming more complicated, IMO.

Case in point; an infantry battle in Battlefield is considered slower than in COD because of the map size, slightly slower kill times and the relative difficulty in aiming at longer range targets. Both games use ADS.

IDK why but this subject keeps being brought up. I agree with the sentiment that we might see it soon, even sooner than we think.

Of course, but most developers just ape whatever is trendy for the sake of it, or execs want it because ____ game has it.

Like, Rare devs talked about the fact that execs kept wanting Perfect Dark Zero to have jumping. Just because Halo had it. Even though that style of game has no use for jumping. The compromise was the roll.

And it's only October 8th... waiting. waiting. waiting. sucks.

Wanted to chime in on the campaign medals being added to 1 and 2. I will most definitely enjoy the addition. Love it. Can't wait for this game to come out, but I'm afraid we have no choice lol.

jem0208

So, it's still in an extremely prototypical state with regards to actual content, but I just thought I'd let you guys know that my site Gravity Gauntlet is actually up and running now! For clarity's sake, Gravity Gauntlet is actually the name of the informal development team, contributors permitting. I'm trying to crank things into high gear to start developing a legitimate portfolio and get the Livechamber pages full of content. On top of that, it's also going to serve as the home for Reclaimer Radio, which has its own page here.

You got a picture of Nexuiz :p

That game was alright.

Okay friends. I'm a bit of a drama queen, but am I completely off base with my thinking? I posted this in the gaming side for some clarity, because people are acting like no 1080p automatically equates to a crappy looking game and I just don't understand - at all.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=133402145&postcount=784

I've been in super duper freak out mode over reactions to the H2A 1328x1080 resolution news and must apologize, but I feel like people aren't looking at it objectively. Would true 1080p have been nice? Sure. It's this make or break nonsense that's really getting me riled up.

Omni

Okay friends. I'm a bit of a drama queen, but am I completely off base with my thinking? I posted this in the gaming side for some clarity, because people are acting like no 1080p automatically equates to a crappy looking game and I just don't understand - at all.

I've been in super duper freak out mode over reactions to the H2A 1328x1080 resolution news and must apologize, but I feel like people aren't looking at it objectively. Would true 1080p have been nice? Sure. It's this make or break nonsense that's really getting me riled up.
I'm willing to wager that anyone bitching about this or even suggesting that they're going to cancel their 'preorder' had no intention of getting the game in the first place.

Gaming side since the 2013 console announcements has been total trash. I don't care if I get banned for saying it, because it's true. Yes, it's okay to want games to be full 1080p on your new $400 dollar console. No, it's not okay to dismiss and trash entire games because they don't meet your arbitrary standard that is rarely met by either console anyway. The game still looks great and a hell of a lot better than it did before. Which you know, was the point of the remaster in the first place.

Fucking ridiculous some of the reactions I've read about this. You'd think that 343i and Microsoft were charging 100 dollars for the one campaign and murdered their pets or something.
This probably sounds bitter but daylight savings has screwed up my sleeping patten and I'm very tired and ranty

jem0208

I honestly think that they're going to implement a pseudo-ADS

Instead of the zoom feature like we've had in previous games it'll just display the ADS animation. It won't have any penalty to movement speed, nor will spread or anything be affected. But, it will tick that box that so many casual gamers and reviewers are looking for these days. A side effect of this could be that every weapon has some kind of scope or zoom

Going a traditional ADS route would spark a severe backlash and I think 343 knows better than that

Like just showing a quick animation of bringing the gun to eye level?

I wouldn't be completely against that.

As long as the animation was very quick, and the aiming reticule was as clean as in previous games. Not sure how they'd be able to implement it on some weapons though like the assault rifle. That has no iron sights or scope of any kind. Unless they modify it slightly...

Madness

It's funny because those people will still buy, play and enjoy the hell out of the game. I had brought up a few points myself, but then I thought why, why even bring up negativity when I'm still happy as hell for this game/collection. I think we just have a propensity now to try and find the bad in the good and go wild.

I shouldn't have even mentioned numbers. I don't care about the ultimate numbers. It didn't matter when Halo 3 was 640p, it won't matter if Halo 5 is 900p. For me, being that I've played the original Halo 2 campaign enough, I'd rather have had the best image possible, than the instant switch feature and simultaneous running of the OG campaign. I'm sure the H2A campaign will blow me away, but I can't help having this little thing wondering whether it would have been better to sacrifice the switching feature. Ultimately it doesn't matter, the game has it, the resolution is 1328x1080 and launches in 4 weeks. I do think GAF has become obsessed with the arbitrary numbers though.

jem0208

I do think GAF has become obsessed with the arbitrary numbers though.

I think the problem is that people seem to be taking resolution as the only measure of graphical quality. To many people it seems like it's either 1080p or it looks like an awful blurry mess. Which is clearly not true. I've seen so many comments saying that they refuse to buy a game because it hasn't reached 1080p. It's become a ridiculous black mark on games imo.

From the footage we saw, the H2A campaign looks pretty great. And the multiplayer looks even better, and that's running at 1080p. So I don't really understand the complaining.

You sure that wasn't because you were playing against bad players?

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
You sure that wasn't because you were playing against bad players?

It didn't matter who we played against, a competent pilot could both keep the vehicle alive by knowing when and where to back off when under fire and position it to deal damage.

It's the bad players who fly out in the open thinking they're invincible who cry about vehicles being weak and "made of paper". Learn how to use 'em damn it.

People are going crazy over the res in gaming forum. I can't be the only halo fan that don't mind it :/.

It is rather stupid that instant switching is what's bringing the res down. A small delay such as Halo:CEA but with proper 1080p would have been the far superior option.

jem0208

It didn't matter who we played against, a competent pilot could both keep the vehicle alive by knowing when and where to back off when under fire and position it to deal damage.

It's the bad players who fly out in the open thinking they're invincible who cry about vehicles being weak and "made of paper". Learn how to use 'em damn it.

It is rather stupid that instant switching is what's bringing the res down. A small delay such as Halo:CEA but with proper 1080p would have been the far superior option.

A good player should also be able to pursue a Falcon to destroy it. Especially considering how easy it is to kill vehicles in Reach.

I think Frankie said that having a delay wouldn't affect anything. The delay in CEA was due to RAM limitations, which isn't a problem with H2A.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
A good player should also be able to pursue a Falcon to destroy it. Especially considering how easy it is to kill vehicles in Reach.

I think Frankie said that having a delay wouldn't affect anything. The delay in CEA was due to RAM limitations, which isn't a problem with H2A.

Please explain how a player on foot or even in a land vehicle could go everywhere a falcon could..........

jem0208

Please explain how a player on foot or even in a land vehicle could go everywhere a falcon could..........

They don't need to. All they need is a sniper and a few DMRs and that Falcon is screwed.

I'm not saying that the Falcon is bad, I'm saying getting 100 kills with it is due to an incompetent enemy.

jem0208

Snipers and DMRs can't shoot through solid objects...

Yes, however the Falcon is a flying vehicle, hence is spends most of the time in the air where there aren't any solid objects...

Sure fly close to the ground and around objects however it's a pretty big target and not one which is going to be easy to miss. Vehicles can get shredded easily in Reach.

Top Bottom